shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT My Niessing Open-End Tension Setting

canong7

Rough_Rock
After many months of pricescoping, here is my ring!

The ring: Niessing Open-End in 18K grey gold, size 4.75

The diamond:
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 5.79 - 5.82 x 3.56 mm
Carat Weight: 0.72
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:
Depth: 61.3 %
Table: 55 %
Crown Angle: 35°
Crown Height: 15.5 %
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43 %
Star length: 50 %
Lower Half: 75 %
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Clarity Characteristics: Feather

HCA score: 1.5

Hope you like!

Russ

niessingtension2.JPG

canong7

Rough_Rock
And another.

niessingtension3.JPG

Reactions: AV_

canong7

Rough_Rock
And the last.

niessingtension11.JPG

Reactions: AV_

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
Oh that is so pretty! Hand shots please!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That looks amazing! The diamond is spectacular, and the grey gold is ... my new favorite thing in the world. I feel like a greedy dragon, looking at that beauty!

justageek

Shiny_Rock
WOW.

36.gif

canong7

Rough_Rock
Haven''t proposed yet! Plan is to go to Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller in Manhattan and propose there over the holidays! Thanks for the kind compliments.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Looks stunning!!!
36.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
That setting is wonderful! She is going to love it!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow! i LOVE that side view, but of course the whole ring is gorgeous! beautiful diamond! best wishes for the proposal!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
GREAT PHOTOS! I LOVE the naked diamond profile in the first shot, and the 3rd photo is an EXQUISITE one of the stone!
30.gif

Does she know what's coming, or will it be a complete surprise?!

CONGRATS and best wishes!!!

ETA: Please tell me more about gray gold!!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow gorgeous!!! I a sucker for those tension sets, yum!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring...it looks like the diamond is floating!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck Russ on your Holiday proposal. The setting you chose is very fresh, elegant and modern. I think she will love it.

Lisa

canong7

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2007 4:11:09 PM
Author: Lynn B
GREAT PHOTOS! I LOVE the naked diamond profile in the first shot, and the 3rd photo is an EXQUISITE one of the stone!
30.gif

Does she know what''s coming, or will it be a complete surprise?!

CONGRATS and best wishes!!!

ETA: Please tell me more about gray gold!!!

Thanks for the compliments! She does not know it is coming so I hope I got the right size! Thankfully, Hunter-Davidson has offered to fund a reforge if I got it wrong!

Regarding the 18K grey-gold, as far as I know, most other tension manufacturers prefer platinum or titanium for its "springiness". Niessing uses a "cold-forging" process so they use gold when others wouldn''t. That being said, I''ve seen some Kretchmer yellow settings and I wonder if those are 18K gold as well... not sure exactly.

The grey-gold is darker than titanium by just a touch. The coolest thing about Niessing was their colour choices. Below is a picture I found of all their gold types, Au 750 Green, Au 750 Yellow, Au 750 Reddish, Au 750 Red, Au 750 Sand, and Au 750 Gray. I toyed with the idea of the Au 750 Red but decided against it because of my girlfriend''s skin-tone (light Asian).

3-farbe-trauriing.jpg

justageek

Shiny_Rock
beautiful choice on the color of the gold!!!! You did the right thing :)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Stunning ring and diamond that is just magnificant

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
I keep coming back to sneak peaks at this gorgeous ring! Modern isn''t really even my style, but I''ve finally broken down and saved a copy of this ring to my ring file. What I love about it is that it is definitely modern but is so elegant with the graceful curves. The only thing I wonder about is how comfortable it will be to wear. Did you try on a band this style to see how if feels?

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! Congrats! Perfect choice of gold and diamond. The design is stunning!
36.gif

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t mean to be negative at all about your ring when I asked about the comfort. I absolutely love it and I was just wondering about how it felt to wear because seeing how beautifully it turned out is making me wonder if this setting may be a nice home for a loose diamond I have. I''m sure your girlfriend will feel like a princess receiving this ring. I know I would!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very cool setting! Really shows off the diamond.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE this shot. It looks like a sculpture. VERY high end! Congratulations, It''s gorgeous, and YES, hand shots, please!
9.gif

niessingtension11.JPG

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Well done, this ring is a work of art and still remains so very pretty. Good job.

ETA: Then again, what wouldn't look great on a 4.75 finger
31.gif

canong7

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 11:35:25 AM
Author: littledebbie
I didn''t mean to be negative at all about your ring when I asked about the comfort. I absolutely love it and I was just wondering about how it felt to wear because seeing how beautifully it turned out is making me wonder if this setting may be a nice home for a loose diamond I have. I''m sure your girlfriend will feel like a princess receiving this ring. I know I would!

No negativity taken at all! Interestingly, when I bought my GFs friend to try the store ring on, it was very very large (size 7 on a size 4 finger). The little culet poked her finger! I was initially concerned but was reassured that it was because it was the wrong size. I''ll let you know if my GF finds it comfortable or not!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that ring is incredible! I''m not usually a fan of modern styles but it is so sleek and timeless! So gorgeous, can''t wait to see handshots!!
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
That is one gorgeous ring! Wow! Can''t wait for more pictures.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s so pretty! I love the first pic you posted. I love how the shank is so curvy like that. I''m always amazed when I see tension settings. I always wonder how the little gal (diamond) stays in there. Blows me away every time.

canong7

Rough_Rock
Just came back from Manhattan and she said yes! We went to the Top of the Rock and because it was rainy, it was totally deserted and we had the entire observation deck to ourselves.

Here is another photo shot by a friend of mine with his macro lens and DSLR.

OD8P7733 Processed Web RGB small.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats! We need hand shots now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results