shape
carat
color
clarity

My new old cut pear!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
My oh so wonderful husband has surprised me! (that's not easy to do) With a loose old cut pear!! Once I finished gushing I said "I have to get this on PS and get setting ideas!!!" Happily, he understands.......

Stats from GIA:
2.56 c
VS1 K

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in RT - I've never done this (with a diamond) before!!!!

So please, may I ask for your opinions and ideas?? She will be my "engagement ring" (we've been married for 11 years!) and will be set in platinum. I'm pretty sure I'll want to bezel her to protect her. And I'll want it to be comfortable and wearable.
I have so many thoughts running through my head and everyone here always has such great ideas! Halo? Just bezel? With or without milgrain? Maybe a three stone bezel? Have you ever seen a three stone with a pear center?

I wish I could get better pictures, I'll keep trying. She's really very nice & white!
All ideas and thoughts welcome please!

img_6392.jpg

img_6393.jpg

img_6394.jpg

img_6396.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Post in both forums--spread the love! To be sure, you will get more input/attention in RT for setting ideas.

:dance: diamond! Marvellous! I must think about settings....

cheers--Sharon

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, what a gorgeous diamond jbkhere! :love: I don't often see antique pears, what a beautiful find. I would recommend moving to RT also - so many more people will see it, not very many people make it to this little corner of PS and settings are discussed all the time in RT.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow it's HUGE! What are your style presences? Do you prefer delicate or chunky settings? Do you like a lot of bling? Modern v vintage?

Here are a couple of inspiration pics to get started!

Your diamond is so huge I think it could look really nice in a solitaire setting, but completely depends on your preferences!

_25385.jpg

_25386.jpg

_25387.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
With a halo...

_25388.jpg

_25389.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
A few 3 stone options

_25390.jpg

_25391.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Oops just realised you'd pefer a bezel!

_25392.jpg

_25393.jpg

_25394.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ricezo, I love the YG bezel in your last post! Who designed it, do you know?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ricezo! I'm with Circe, I love that YG bezel, pretty!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
beautiful stone, congrats! I really like the yg bezel recezo posted also

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, go hubby! What an amazing find, the faceting on that is to die for. You're a lucky lady indeed to be able to gaze at that beauty every day. I'm in agreement with everyone else, the yg bezel is gorgeous. I feel like it suits the personality of your pear. The only thing is, if it's from Knox, I don't believe they will set outside stones into their settings. Maybe for a one-of-a-kind find?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Your pear is perfect. The shape is wheelhouse. I just acquired a smaller one like this and I get totally lost in it-- would love one this size. I hope you celebrate the shape and faceting of the stone-- its a star. Congratulations and can't wait to see what you do with it :)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you already know this, but this pear has an undefined point, so when set, will not look
like any of the mountings posted in this thread.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone- clever hubby :appl:

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Chel180, Cluless & Rainydaze, thank you for the kind words! While I do love that Knox setting I think I'm wanting something with a bit more spread.

RandG & cflutist, thank you! I am really loving this stone. Finding the right setting will definitely be challenging!

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
One of the most exciting stones I've seen in a while, I realllly love it. Huge congrats!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ark! I hadn't seen Mark's site - off to check it out!!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
80017285.jpg

How about this?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So jealous, I want an old cut and this is stunning. I can see that in a lovely rose gold setting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I already commented about your GORGEOUS stone jbkhere in another thread but well this stone is just amazing. I love it and I know however you decide to set it will be beautiful. :love: :love: :love:

LOVE this antique pear!!!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you autumngems & missy! I'm still trying to decide on who to use to set. I think I'm leaning toward a local jeweler especially because I'm afraid of shipping. But I also like all the steps he'll do (sketch, rendering, CAD, mold) before production. I have a hard time visualizing with CAD so getting to do a mold (either wax or metal) ahead of time eases some anxiety for me.
I can't do rose gold (makes me itch) but I am considering high carat yellow gold (22k or 24k) what do you think?
Also - look at these sapphires! I've decided against doing it - but after I saw these earrings I'd considered doing a halo in french cut pink sapphires!

img_0390.jpg

img_6769.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one with blue sapphires;

pear___sapphire_halo.jpg

Or with a double halo with pink sapphires inner halo, white diamonds outer halo sort of like;

pear_double_halo_pink.jpg

Or this;

pear_halo_pink_1396032161_1-01_1.jpg

Or for something completely different;

pear_and_ruby_ring_1-01.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
what a beautiful stone, what type of setting did you decide on?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks artdecolover71! I actually haven't decided yet :confused:
I am wearing it now - my jeweler set it in a temporary silver ring until I make up my mind. Interestingly, that has helped me a bit. I've learned I do not want prongs. First - I hate getting fuzz stuck in the prongs. Seems like a silly thing, I know - but it drives me CRAZY!
More importantly - I find myself nervous about the possibility of knocking my stone loose from the prongs. I know logically the likelihood of it happening but I don't want a ring that I'll be afraid to wear.
I also realize I don't like how this setting changes the outline of my stone. I find I miss the charming rounded "point" so I want to make sure that doesn't happen with the new setting.
So - at the moment I think I'm leaning toward a sapphire halo like ark posted
OR I also love the look of the bezel on the heart ring Grace just posted. Though I'm afraid of the bezel making the stone look smaller. Does that happen?

img_7090.jpg

1890337_406273252869307_5475000456714780534_o.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Love both ideas...a bezel usually makes the stone look bigger! I love a millegrained bezel myself. So classic and outlines the shape of the stone so beautifully!

emeraldluvr

Rough_Rock
Ahhhh! Pear cuts just look so INCREDIBLE! All of these diamonds are breath taking! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results