shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My New Obsession -- Table-cut Diamonds!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
It's been a long time since I've posted in this section, but I have recently discovered the incredible beauty of antique table-cut diamonds and I'm totally obsessed!!! It's not easy finding good table-cuts which makes them even more alluring. As they were cut in the 1600-1700's, not many have survived -- especially the larger, deeper ones which have been recut. I started with a couple of smaller pieces set in modern settings (currently for sale in PL), but then I found my table-cut holy grail -- a 3 stone in a modern 18kt yellow gold setting. It was serendipitous that I was able to purchase this ring and I couldn't be happier. After so many years collecting antique pieces, it's so much fun having a totally novel cut to explore! Total carat weight is 2.20.

IMG_4733.jpeg IMG_4730.jpeg IMG_4701.jpeg IMG_4657.jpeg IMG_4735.jpeg

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
It's been a long time since I've posted in this section, but I have recently discovered the incredible beauty of antique table-cut diamonds and I'm totally obsessed!!! It's not easy finding good table-cuts which makes them even more alluring. As they were cut in the 1600-1700's, not many have survived -- especially the larger, deeper ones which have been recut. I started with a couple of smaller pieces set in modern settings (currently for sale in PL), but then I found my table-cut holy grail -- a 3 stone in a modern 18kt yellow gold setting. It was serendipitous that I was able to purchase this ring and I couldn't be happier. After so many years collecting antique pieces, it's so much fun having a totally novel cut to explore! Total carat weight is 2.20.

I to am very intrigued by table cuts! I adore your new ring! What a fantastic score. Congratulations

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Love the table cuts. Thanks for sharing. It’s a beautiful cut, and to have a large three stone is so rare. I can see why you are obsessed.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow @Demelza , what an amazing find! Great finger coverage too :kiss2:

It’s the first time I’ve seen/heard of a table cut, thank you for sharing! Please forgive my ignorance, does it perform like a step cut diamond?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Wow @Demelza , what an amazing find! Great finger coverage too :kiss2:

It’s the first time I’ve seen/heard of a table cut, thank you for sharing! Please forgive my ignorance, does it perform like a step cut diamond?

These are new to me too! They do perform similar to a step cut, yes. But they have a different look for sure. They have far fewer facets than an emerald cut which means each facet is much larger. The larger facets create a wonderful almost mirror like effect. Some table cuts have very flat tops, others are much deeper, and sometimes they are set upside down which changes the optics yet again. The culets are often large and square. Here is one of the table cuts I'm selling -- it's a much flatter diamond with a very long culet. But you can see how broad those facets are and the way the light reflects against them.

IMG_3978.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love this ring. So unique and beautiful. Is it also from the amazing Kelty? I just go gaga over all her creations.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I love this ring. So unique and beautiful. Is it also from the amazing Kelty? I just go gaga over all her creations.

Thank you! Yes, she made it, but I purchased it from someone's personal collection as it had originally sold a year ago. I got super lucky!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I have been intrigued by them as well after seeing some of Kelty’s creations. They look so regal yet understated in the rich gold setting. The 3 stone is absolutely fabulous! Are the 2 side stones set upside down and the center one right side up?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:-o
Going positively Renaissance over here on Demelza's rock!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I have been intrigued by them as well after seeing some of Kelty’s creations. They look so regal yet understated in the rich gold setting. The 3 stone is absolutely fabulous! Are the 2 side stones set upside down and the center one right side up?

Thanks so much! Yes, the center is right side up and the sides upside down. I love the optics of the stones set upside down -- it creates a really interesting effect.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So unique and beautiful!! I love it!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amazing! So unique and gorgeous.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Love it. Stones with fewer facets are so understated, it’s almost like wearing secret diamonds. I love portrait and rose cuts and would love to try one of these table cuts some day. Probably would not be a genuine antique, though.

What a pretty ring you have. More photos welcome.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Love it. Stones with fewer facets are so understated, it’s almost like wearing secret diamonds. I love portrait and rose cuts and would love to try one of these table cuts some day. Probably would not be a genuine antique, though.

What a pretty ring you have. More photos welcome.

I completely agree with this! I have always been drawn to step cuts, but there was always something a little too busy about them for me. These table cuts are so simple and yet so fascinating. I love their geometry and the fact they look almost architectural.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You know, for fun, you could do one of those royal portraits with the hand placements on props pictures at some point. Gather your silk sashes and find some lace. You have the jewelry for it. It must be done!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I've never seen table cuts before and I can see why you love them! So glad you shared; just another reason why I love this website.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another person who ha never heard or seen of these before! how beautiful! :kiss2:

And also, thanks. Now I have something new to add to my list of obsessively searched items :lol-2:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!! Amazing ring!!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I never heard of table cut diamonds...thanks for sharing!!!
They're so unique and intriguing!!!:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on JOTW! They are beautiful in their own right. I am a MRB girl at heart but always cool to see another take on diamond cut.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow absolutely stunning ring. These stones are so special and the bold, sleek gold setting is perfect

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results