shape
carat
color
clarity

My new marquise diamond ring!

BlingDreamer

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here, first time posting and thought I'd share my absolutely amazing recent experience. I know many here on PS are die hard diamond connoisseurs, I'm not one of them, although I truly wish I had the budget to be one! I thought I'd post this as some people, like me, are looking for a great bang for their buck and can feel uneasy about an online purchase that doesn't meet all the "you should do" that we read (never buy a fancy cut unseen, don't buy an EGL Israel sight unseen, but really, stay away all together, buy H color or better, vendor's eye clean isn't your definition of eye clean, etc).

I'm sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to put my buying experience out there for other lurkers out there! I lost many night's sleep over this purchase.

I'm in the process of designing a new ring and wanted a large marquise with the following criteria:
- dimensions of at least 12x6, preferably larger
- L/W ratio of 1.8-2 with a preference on the fatter side of things
- eye clean (could be the "perfect" value I1 for all I cared, but had to be eye clean)
- faces up white without drawing in much color, "warm white" is acceptable to me
- mild/light bow tie, nothing obvious, I really wanted a great cut.

I didn't care who certified the diamond, I was buying the diamond, not the certificate, and I ruled nothing out.

My personal feeling on EGL Israel, they're uncertified stones, someone has put a crap piece of paper on them to get them on the online market or into shady retailers who will insist it is a certain color/clarity because the certificate says so. Buyer beware. I know most would say run away as fast as you can. I had no illusions that any EGL Israel stone was going to be accurate, although I did expect the measurements and carat weight to be accurate. Any item where there could be judgment (color, clarity, fluorescence), I expected it to be inconsistent with GIA standards.

I kept searching and searching on PS and found the following with Solomon Brothers:
1.9 carat, marquise diamond, G/VS2, 12.42x6.69x3.89, slight blue fluorescence, EGL Israel, L/W 1.86, excellent symmetry, excellent polish, medium girdle, 62% table, 57.7% depth.

Hmmm...sounds interesting. I figured if EGL Israel held true (which is an oxymoron itself) this would be a J/SI2. I was hoping it would be eye clean (given the VS2) and would face up nicely (hence the G color rating). I popped off a note and was quickly replied to by Rami Hachamoff at Solomon Brothers. He told me the certificate would tell me nothing and immediately offered to get the stone on hand so he could assess it himself. Okay, what do I have to lose?

Stone is on hand with Rami in less than a week later and I get the following report from Rami:
Ratio is shape is near perfect MQ. Diamond is super bright and has a very nice luster. Inclusions are not visible (to the eye) diamond is 100% eye clean. As an EGL, its not a pure G - but the face up is very nice and in my opinion, a true "near colorless" gem. Bowtie is an effect from cutting longer gems, however, its not so prevalent.

We also spoke on the phone immediately after this message while he looked at the diamond some more and he figured GIA would call it an I/SI1, borderline J but it faces up without drawing in much color and the bow tie was not obvious. He said it was a great gem for the money.

He sent me oodles of pictures, laid it in a ring setting for me, close up shots on different backgrounds, whatever I wanted and was very patient through all the emails and phone calls. Some pictures were amazing, some, I have to be honest, the diamond did not look so hot.

I made the plunge and decided to purchase it. I was going to put my faith in Rami's hands and his professional judgetment. n There's a 25 day return policy, so I had nothing to lose. The only issue I have is that I'm in Canada with no way to get adequate insurance to return it if I wasn't in love with it. Rami arranged to have it sent (at my request) to the nearest FedEx location in the US that would hold for pickup. We headed out on the six hour drive.

We arrive the night before so I am at FedEx as they're unlocking the front door :) I run out to my car and rip open the packaging. Rami has everything packaged so that if I wanted to return it, the return label, packaging, etc, is all ready for me (a very, very nice touch given he knew the circumstances).

I was completely prepared that this was going back, not on your life!

Right now it's in a temporary setting while I save for the new setting and decide for sure what I'm going to do. Here's the hand shot on my 4.5 finger!

dsc00623.jpg

dsc00632_0.jpg

Glow bug (if this is slight, I'd hate to see medium!):

dsc00627.jpg

A little blue tint in the sunlight:

dsc00631_0.jpg

This diamond is so clean! There are no feathers, just a few microscopic black carbon specs that I don't see. It changes color from icy white, to vanilla white, to blue white depending on the lighting. The bow tie is negligible and doesn't "black out". I haven't had a yellow moment with it yet.

Sorry for the length of the post, but it was a fabulous experience and I'm a happy woman! :D

Thanks for reading!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love marquise!!!! Lovely on your hand!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That looks ENORMOUS on your tiny hand, and like a beautiful stone. Post close-ups? I love to see well-cut fancies.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty! Can we get a few more pictures of your wedding band, also??

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
What a great size for your petite hand! It looks great on you... and I love that "glow" photo you posted! :appl:

I'd love to see some more photos too.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOLYSHIZNETS that fluo shot is amazing! Congratulations

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
That marquise looks massive on your hand! Very nice purchase :sun:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
omg it is huge!!!! Thank you for sharing your story, I'm glad you have learned a lot along the way and found such a beautiful glowy friend!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YOWZERS!! That's one incredible honker you have there!! Awesome!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Looks incredible on your lovely tiny hand and I LOVE the fluoro shot --- oooooh!! Get to a disco -STAT- and glow the night away!! :D

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! Love that fluor!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's HUGE and gorgeous!! I love marquise cuts too, congrats!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning!! And HUGE!! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks quite elegant on your hand.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh the flour! I'm swooning!
That's so uniquely beautiful!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! LOVELY!!! Beautiful fancy! Yours has a great glow!!! And with slight fluo? Mine is slight too but can't seem to get a glow with the UV pocket light ;( What is the trick?!

BlingDreamer

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting such a response. I know, it's huge. I'm trying to avoid skrinkage at all costs ;-) and I totally blame all the PS rocks. That said, I think it looks a lot bigger in pictures than it does IRL.

I hope I get the reply correct on this. I'm sure I'll goof, forgive me! :)

fiona0004: I can be insulting as I want as I bought the diamond; I have a sneaking suspicion that the fluor is a lot more than "slight blue" as reported by EGL Israel. It has to be medium at least, if not higher. The one above is with a $1.99 eBay UV pen light. When I said I had no faith in the certificate, I meant it. One of the many areas they can use their judgement... I took this one earlier trying to get a good close up shot. You can see the blue sparkles from the sun coming in through the window, that's the only light source. I think it's absolutely stunning and it was an absolute bonus on the purchase.

dsc00646.jpg

StacylikesSparkles: Here are two pics of my wedding band. I also have a plain one to wear with it as well. I didn't realize my hands were so dry! Two kids, constant hand washing, and it's a cold Canadian winter.

dsc00649.jpg

dsc00650.jpg

Circe: I'm new at taking close ups. This is the best I could do. Not representative of the color or how great the diamond really looks, but hopefully this will give you some idea. The entire run down on the specs per the certificate are:
Table: 62%
Depth: 57.7%
Crown height: 14%
Pavillion: 38%
Medium girdle

dsc00660.jpg

She's definitely my new best friend that goes everywhere with me!

PS: Here's the current contender for the beauty in another year or so. I'm enjoying the solitaire for now a lot more than I thought I would, but here's the long term plan. I'm undecided on NW or EW, but there's lots of time to decide and change my mind 18 times over about what setting it will be:

diamond_and_sapphire_ring.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! I love E/W set marquise! Ill have to see if I can find the post to one of my favorite settings.

imspecializd

Rough_Rock
beautiful! thanks for sharing your shopping experience too!

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Perfect length to width ratio! Very pretty in a solitaire but I love that EW sapphire halo as well.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is a beautiful setting. If i was going to do that id probably keep it as an E/W.

If you are still undecided, these are a few of my favorite settings for a marquise.
lmmqwpears.jpg

46061_1485496910350_1621731554_1173256_8370409_n-1.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, gorgeous stone! Congratulations! Definitely a beauty.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ooooo! I love all three of the pictured settings! The one you pictured, BlingDreamer, is amazing!! Oh, and your wedding band is equally yummy! Ah! Loving your jewels! :love: Canadian too?? We are having it rough this year huh? I am stuck home on maternity leave but hubby keeps telling me it is one rough winter in Montreal this year! I totally understand the dry hands things.... and the dry elbows, feet, etc.... :lol:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
WOW-That is an amazing stone :lickout: It looks huge and beautifully cut, you hit the jackpot girlfriend! I love your setting choice too. I'm a huge fan of ew set mq's. Promise you'll come back with more pics when you reset please. Very nice choices!!!

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
I just love the setting you're considering -- it's stunning!

GoldFish8

Shiny_Rock
ummmm.... holy guacamole! :shock: :love:

I can honestly say that I usually do not like marquise cuts at all....BUT your stone is just stunning!!! aaannd I LOVE it in that setting. It really compliments the stone, and it looks so great on your hands.... delicate and HUGE... really such a great find! thank you for sharing with us!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! Congratulations!!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I love marquise stones! Beautiful!

here is a setting I like:

_4042.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't describe how much i love love love your ring :love: :love: :love: I'm very excited that i see marquise and pear cuts making a comeback,coz i'm a huge fan of them! Your diamond is so huge and sparkly and i adore the fluor effect!!!
I personally think it looks amazing as a solitaire, given the fact that the stone is a really substantial size and your fingers thin and beautiful, but if you are still considering a reset in the future, i think that the first setting that nielseel posted, with the pear side stones, is THE ABSOLUTE WINNER :appl: :appl: :appl:
Huge congrats and wear your ring in good health :appl:

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
Stunning marquise, it is pretty on you. Congrats on that!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results