shape
carat
color
clarity

My New Mahenge Spinel.....cough...cough

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this from MC. Specs are a little over 1.5 carat color red(pink), slightly included, moderate saturation. I was sooooo disappointed. I like the color. It is a mix of pink, orange, red and I think I see a smidge of purple. In low light it glows but not so much in brighter lights or outdoors. My first inclination was to return it but I asked Dana to recut it for me and he as graciously said he will. :appl: I am so happy and grateful that he is taking the time to do this as I know he must be very busy.

So what do you guys think of the color? It is so different from my other Mahenge spinel which is pure pink. I am trying not to compare this stone to the other as I know Mahenges come in different shades and hues. Do you think the new cut will breathe life into this stone? All opinions welcome.

ims1.jpg

ims3.jpg

icky1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good mahenge spinel should get even more saturated in the sun, so if it doesn't, and if your photos are accurate, I would say it's a pretty pink spinel, but it's not the caliber of a good Mahenge. Recutting can also tamper with saturation, so you always have to be leary of that as well. With a good mahenge, you shouldn't be disappointed, the stone should knock your socks off when you open the gem box.

I hope that helps.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1316921413|3024796 said:
A good mahenge spinel should get even more saturated in the sun, so if it doesn't, and if your photos are accurate, I would say it's a pretty pink spinel, but it's not the caliber of a good Mahenge. Recutting can also tamper with saturation, so you always have to be leary of that as well. With a good mahenge, you shouldn't be disappointed, the stone should knock your socks off when you open the gem box.

I hope that helps.

I think you have answered this but I want to be sure. So do you think that it is not the cutting of the stone but the stone itself? It definately does not knock my socks off.

So you think I would be better off returning the stone? I thought it was the cut that was making it lack that "wow" factor. What should I be looking for if I were to try again. Should a good Mahenge always have "strong" saturation? What about the color? This one was listed as red/pink without any secondary colors. But I do see purple and orange. Thanks!

fzpanda

Rough_Rock
seems to look a little garnety...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1316921877|3024801 said:

I hope that helps.

I think you have answered this but I want to be sure. So do you think that it is not the cutting of the stone but the stone itself? It definately does not knock my socks off.

So you think I would be better off returning the stone? I thought it was the cut that was making it lack that "wow" factor. What should I be looking for if I were to try again. Should a good Mahenge always have "strong" saturation? What about the color? This one was listed as red/pink without any secondary colors. But I do see purple and orange. Thanks!

If you don't like a stone, you should always return it if possible. The problem is that recutting will cost you more money, and it may not necessarily look better, and you will also lose carat weight.

A good Mahenge is one that has strong UV fluor, and does not brown out, or look too orange or too much like a red or purple family garnet. The best Mahenges are a saturated pinkish red, and hold their color very well in various light sources.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1316925279|3024835 said:
LisaRN|1316921877|3024801 said:

I hope that helps.

If you don't like a stone, you should always return it if possible. The problem is that recutting will cost you more money, and it may not necessarily look better, and you will also lose carat weight.

A good Mahenge is one that has strong UV fluor, and does not brown out, or look too orange or too much like a red or purple family garnet. The best Mahenges are a saturated pinkish red, and hold their color very well in various light sources.

Thanks for the good advice. I will return it. I will be receiving another one from MC and I will be surprised if it is close to the vendor pic as the one posted is not. The whole reason I wanted another Mahenge spinel is that I love the one I have so much. It is such a pleasure to look at. When I took the MC stone outside it just went a flat dusky purplish/pink color. It was like "huh? What just happened here?" With diamonds it is almost always the cut so I assumed that was the problem. But more and more I find I have a lot to learn about colored gems. Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results