shape
carat
color
clarity

My new K (inc. color comparison with J, D and yellow stones)

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I hope this post can be of some assistance to people considering a K color cushion and/or people considering I1 clarity. I also want to ask you for guidance on how to set my new lovely.

I bought an inexpensive GIA 0.63 ct K color I1 cushion (this: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.64-carat-k-color-i1-clarity-sku-793282 ) for fun. I wanted a different look to my AGS 000 H&A 0.556 J VVS2 MRB, which I wear as my e-ring on my left hand. I think the cushion has a nice spread at 5.16 * 5.07 mm.

Thanks for James Allen for a superb service and assistance!

The gemologist at James Allen ensured me the feathers won't be a durability concern (and, if worst comes to worst, I have it covered by our home insurance). I have done some faceting of gemstones myself, I believe that if a stone is going to break, it will do so during faceting.

Sure, there are nicer diamonds out there, but considering I only paid 610 USD and some taxes on it, I don't think I could have done much better. I would say the diamond faces up white and pretty much eye clean. I can see the feathers if I really really try and go looking for them. Just by looking at it normally, I don't see anything (and I have an excellent eye sight).

Regarding the color and clarity: I asked my little sister if she can find anything wrong with the stone. She said nothing regarding the color, and was able to locate some inclusions only looking if from the side (she could not pinpoint any inclusions in the face up position).

Ok, so here are some pics =) with my J, some completely colorless ("D") CZ and some yellow gemstones for comparison purposes (sorry I don't own any D diamonds or fancy yellow diamonds).

k_alone_natural_light.jpg

k_with_j_hand_2.jpg

k_with_j_and_ds_3.jpg

k_with_j_and_ds_2.jpg

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Re: My new K (inc. color comparison with J, D and yellow sto

More pics :)

k_with_yellow_stones_face_up.jpg

k_with_yellow_stones_side_view.jpg

articifial_light_with_2_ds.jpg

k_with_different_color_gems.jpg

nojs

Shiny_Rock

Specs on the K

SHAPE: Cushion
CARAT: 0.64
COLOR: K
CLARITY: I1
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Good
FLUORESCENCE: Faint
L/W/D (MM): 5.16*5.07*3.16
L/W RATIO: 1.02
DEPTH %: 62.20
GIRDLE: Thick
TABLE %: 63.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA

793282.jpg

nojs

Shiny_Rock

So, taking into consideration the wedding set that I wear on my left hand, how should I set this diamond if I want to wear it as a RHR? I'll attach some sketches ( I might have to create a poll separately).

wedding_6.jpg

different_settings.jpg

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock

Very cool and creative!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the setting with the two pears but without the halo. PS your new stone is beautiful!

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock

I actually think I like it with a halo! I know you say it shows up white, and it definitely looks like it does, but I am also sure if you put it into yellow or rose gold, it will face up much warmer -- which I think I love!

Here are some halo ideas I think would look beautiful!

ring_239.jpg

ring_240.jpg

ring_241.jpg

nojs

Shiny_Rock

dwj6211: Thanks for some excellent suggestions! It was nice to see halo with some smaller and some larger melee.

Thank you ringo865 for your kind words! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results