shape
carat
color
clarity

My new chrysoberyl

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB-- you are a much better gem setter than I am--any ideas on how you are going to set you chrysoberyl? What are its dimensions?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Minou (such flattery!) distracts, OTL, Chris, platinumrock, and velourial (though Chris was wanting Erin's, not mine, lol).

Erin, sorry to hear about WF. I wonder if Daniel M works with green gold. Otherwise, we could try JKT, or maybe Green Lake? Thank you for the compliment re: setting, but really, I've just gotten lucky with the castoffs of others! Only one of the rings I've posted had anything to do with my creativity. I would like something very simple, though, like the one Freke posted above, for this stone. That's about all I know. I guess WF wouldn't just make a semi-mount?

The dimensions of my stone are 6.88 x 8.27 x 5.39mm.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, NKOTB :wavey:
I love your new chrysoberyl! The size and color are :love:
Good decision to work with Peter on the cut -- I really liked working with him on the aqua I bought (still unset).

I haven't made any decisions about setting my chrysoberyl yet -- just haven't had the time to sit down and sift through photos and old threads for ideas. And first I have to decide if I want to wear it as an alternate wedding band/set or a right-hand ring. I am considering setting it with diamonds -- either antique stones in lower colors K - O, or yellow diamonds, or super-white D-F stones. I'll probably work with Wink of High Performance Diamonds on my setting. Have you ever worked with him? His prices are reasonable, he works with a number of skilled benches, he can source side stones, and it would definitely be worth asking him if he can work with green gold.

I'd also consider working with David at DBL, especially if I decide to go the yellow diamond accent stones route. He has one of the most beautiful double bezel settings (reasonably priced) on his site. If you're considering a bezel, I wonder if he could adapt that design for you and make it in green gold?

I have been looking on ebay for vintage settings, but haven't found anything that I like, and most of the sellers of used, vintage platinum settings have increased their prices, so it's not the bargain it used to be to buy used -- especially if I have to pay a bench person to rehab it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think WF will make a semi-mount but they will sell you their stock settings. I've heard very good things about Engagement Rings Direct and IDJ's custom work.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Lula and Chrono--thanks so much for the vendor setting suggestions!

NKOTB-- I emailed Daniel M some time ago and he said he doesn't work in green gold. I am in the process of finding out whether JbEG does. Michael E of Gemshoppe doesn't work with green gold-- he said it is too brittle.

So far I only have Adzia and Brian Gavin as confirmed vendors who do 18k green gold.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I second the recommendation for Julia Kay Taylor. I worked with her on an argentium silver necklace, and enjoyed the process. She is priced on the higher side, so you may also want to look at OneGarnetGirl and janishjewels for bezels. I have not worked the 2 latter vendors. Chrono posted a nice list here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-moment-to-vent-about-melee.185571/#post-3379115?hilit=etsy#p3379115']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-moment-to-vent-about-melee.185571/#post-3379115?hilit=etsy#p3379115[/URL]

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB: have you told us what your plans are yet? Did I miss that? I bet that stone would look great with diamonds as its so bright it could absolutely give diamonds a run for their money! :wink2: Just saying... :praise: :saint:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not recommend Julia Kay Taylor. For various reasons.

Patrick Irla also works with green gold, but he doesn't take customer's stones anymore.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1360948983|3380901 said:

Patrick Irla also works with green gold, but he doesn't take customer's stones anymore.

While I like Patrick Iria's work, doesn't he have one basic design bent, which is his hammered flowers/pedals? I guess I've not seen a wide variety of his designs.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1360950379|3380936 said:
FrekeChild|1360948983|3380901 said:

While I like Patrick Iria's work, doesn't he have one basic design bent, which is his hammered flowers/pedals? I guess I've not seen a wide variety of his designs.
Oh, he can do just about anything:
http://www.patrickirla.com/

He used to have another etsy store, but I don't see it now. I think it had cool "tough" jewelry. Skulls and the like. :naughty: A far cry from the hydrangeas!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, disregard my comments as those are DEFINITELY different stylistically, lol!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got back from my jeweller's (picking up another completed project :naughty: ), and it turns out he works with green gold! Hurray! So that's easy for me. He actually commented on the colour of this one (first time), and seemed quite impressed. :sun:

I will probably stick with a pretty simple setting on this one. That way, there will be nothing to detract from the funky stone/metal. I quite like the pic Freke posted.

He said he'd make up a little sample for me to see whether or not I like the green gold with my skin tone. If it doesn't look great against my skin, but works well with the stone, then I might consider adding diamonds to break up the colour a bit or something. He's putting together two other quotes for me right now, so this will move to the back burner for now, but I will pop back later, either if I need some advice from you lovely peeps, or to show off the finished product. :)

Thanks again for your nice comments and suggestions (perhaps Lula and/or Erin will connect with one of the recommended US-based vendors).

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Just as an fyi for all, JbEG works in green gold!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results