shape
carat
color
clarity

My new chrysoberyl

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little over a year ago, I admired this stone (online) when it was a native cut oval and part of Ryan Quantz's collection. Ryan had planned to recut it, to fix the window and extinction it had, but wasn't yet comfortable working with this material until he had some more experience with faceting (his specialty is currently cabs, though he has also faceted some nice gems). Time passed, and I was lucky enough to purchase it, but am not a fan of ovals, and wanted it recut. I approached Peter Torraca, after seeing several wonderful transformations he had done for other vendors. He normally doesn't do recuts for the public, but I think that given the material (he was enamoured with the colour), the fact that it came from Ryan, and that I am a pretty good customer of Peter's, he made an exception in this case. :appl: I had it shipped directly to him, and this is the outcome.

I don't really have any setting plans yet. I will ask my jeweller if he works with green gold at all, and consider that. Maybe a simple bezel ring. For now, I've been enjoying walking it around in different lighting, loose on my hand. :bigsmile:

The first two were my initial attempts at photographing the stone. It looked fine on my phone screen (these are all iphone shots), but the pics kept turning out like this. The very last picture is on my hand, under the table, with the only light source being from the sunroom, two rooms away, on a grey day.

img_4782.jpg

img_4781.jpg

img_4779.jpg

img_4780.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

img_4790.jpg

img_4786.jpg

img_4783.jpg

img_4797.jpg

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it has such a glow!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your story and it's a very very pretty stone.

The reason why your photos haven't worked out in the first couple of shots is the colour of the background. A dark background either works well or not at all! Clearly your Chryso likes to be surrounded by lighter colours!

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Wowee! That is one beautiful stone. So happy it found its way to you! :appl:

demantoid

Rough_Rock
Yummy!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely chrysoberyl and welcome to the under-rated chrysoberyl appreciation group. These little guys are quite flashy, are they not? I have to deliberately photograph them in as little light as possible else I get nothing but a pure "flash" picture like yours. Green gold is a fabulous choice!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Swoon! Ever since Mochi's green gold ring I've been in love with chrysoberyl. Beautiful NKOTB!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful-- if you find a vendor who works in green gold, let me know! I need to set my chrysoberyl too!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
So flashy and gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Suggestion: Green gold, like this-

yelsapp6.jpg

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Who set that--it is beautiful :love: :appl:

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It looks great to me...very bright. Stones like that are hard to find...I hope mine turns out to be that nice!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, fabulous!! What a wonderful Peter T. job. Great stone to be set on its glorious own, without accents. If your power ever goes out, you won't need a flashlight. =)

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi's green gold setting and the other one suggested are both done by Whiteflash.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breathtaking. I would stare at that all day.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Whiteflash doesn't take outside stones anymore though do they?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1360764844|3379054 said:
Whiteflash doesn't take outside stones anymore though do they?

They might do so on a case to case basis, so it could be worth asking.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Don't you just love Peter?!! And I LOVE your new stone too! :love:
Back when I was looking for my pear Whiteflash would set outside stones but they were picky about what. (no tanzanite yes sapphires etc) so they just may be OK with your chryso.
Congrats!!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your comments! Without PS, I never would have even heard of chrysoberyl, much less have developed an appreciation for it. I believe Mochi's ring and yours, Chrono, were big contributors to me becoming a fan. :praise:

LD, thanks for the tip on photographing these. I should have realized the darker background was what was affecting things.

Freke, I'm digging that setting. I'm doubting that my local guy works with green gold, so I may have to approach Whiteflash at some point (there are a few other projects up first in the queue). I'll have to see how complicated it is doing an across-border custom job (I've worked with Green Lake before, but not using my own stone). I'll also hold the stone up to some yellow gold, and see what I think. I've still only ever owned white gold and platinum stuff! I think that given that it's an unusual stone, it would be fun to go with an unusual metal, too, though.

Erinl, I was hoping that you and Lulu would be setting yours first, perhaps giving me even more inspiration! ;-) :naughty:

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
You may also want to look at Julia Kay Taylor as she works with green gold also.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to know, MrsM, thanks!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono--

I just called Whiteflash and they said no way on setting my chrysoberyl. Maybe someone who has worked with them before and speaks to a certain rep might be able to do so, but not me :(sad

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erini: sorry to hear your bad news re Whiteflash.

NKOTB: I love your stone! I love the cutting and shape! Way to go Peter (and NKOTB who is soooo nice she can talk vendors into cutting her stones :wink2: )!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erin,
So sorry about WF not budging on their policy. ;( It's such a lovely chrysoberyl too.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW that chrysoberyl is stunning!!! :love: :love: :love:

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I know it is a marketing skill you should be careful with at trade shows :bigsmile: , but the 5th picture does really talk to my heart!!! Congratulations!!

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ya know Erin I've been thinking....you should really just give up on setting that Chrysoberyl anyways. Really...honestly its not worth setting. But...since I feel so badly about them not setting your stone, I will make the sacrifice and take that stone off your hands. Really. Who cares about Chrysoberyl? IS that some kind of Peridot? Peridots are everywhere. Really, you'll feel much better once that Peridot-looking thing is gone. Don't you think?? :saint:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB, I love your new chryso!! :love: Such a beautiful shade of yellow-green. I own one too, just forgot all about it til I saw yours. Have you tried contacting Daniel M.? He works with colored stones as well and he just did my three-stone reset. See what he can do for your stone.

Erin, I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with WF. The problem is that when these online vendors become huge and in demand, they put more restrictions with their services. But guess what? That just opens up more opportunities with smaller yet humble vendors like Daniel M. who put customer service above all else.

LOL...Chris, I see what you're trying to do there. :Up_to_something:

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with Chris. This is the stone that has most inspired WANT in me in a while! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results