shape
carat
color
clarity

My new antique elongated Asscher cut! Setting suggestions?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have finally decided on a new diamond! The search was difficult because I wanted a step cut but I also wanted an antique. I found this stone on the PS virtual seach listed as an Asscher but it had rectangular measurements with great proportions and it had an large culet! What!? So I had Jonathan at GOG call it in immediately and low and behold my hunch was right - it's gorgeous! And it's officially going to be mine.

Here are the stats:
2.73 carats
K
SI1
8.41 x 7.75 x 5.49 mm
depth 70.9%
table 51%

and because I don't have it in my hands yet to show you hand shots but was too excited not to share, here's the comparison video to a modern emerald cut which I was also considering. https://youtu.be/ou7crDASNrs

So now the fun begins of how to set it? I like white, yellow and rose gold metal. Should I set it in a halo to accentuate the lovely elongated shape? Set it as a solitaire on a pave band? or with side stones of some sort? OR just in a simple all metal cathedral solitaire. The options are endless! I want something that sits low to the hand, though. And a budget of $1500 or less would be idea. Would love your ideas. :D

mandaluv1119

Rough_Rock
Re: My new antique elongated Asscher cut! Setting suggestion

Wow! What a stunning stone.

I would set it either as a solitaire or with side stones that are also step cut (bullets? Tapered baguettes?). I wouldn't use any brilliant cuts and definitely not a halo. I think brilliant cut stones surrounding a step cut center compete for your attention, and I would want all eyes on that gorgeous rock!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

First: Yahooooo what a lovely stone!

Second: brightcut pave with milgrain split shank in platinum.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So if your budget is 1500, I'd say rose gold. As platinum will be expensive, white gold isnt platinum lol, yellow gold would need to be 18k.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rsc10031-815.jpg
pearlmansdanielkcushion1.jpg
pearlmansdanielkcush2.jpg
pearldanielkcush3.jpg
As close to this as possible.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

With 1.5K for setting, I'd say the best would be a solitaire as anything with side stones will be more than that. Gorgeous stone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oops! Didn't see budget. Hmm. In that caae, let me look for some ideas.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Thank you for the kind words. I'm REALLY crushing hard on this stone so I know it is the one. Yay!

Gypsy, thank you for all of your help this far. This is the stone I posted in the previous thread wondering if it would be eye clean. Sure is! Total score, I get a little rush that I found it all by myself lol. I'm growing up haha!

Ya know? I'm really in to the rose gold idea! I *think* I prefer a straight band to a split shank but am open to the idea!. I wish I had the budget for French cuts. :lol: or tapered French cut bags? Hmm. No clue the going rate on those. Something like these appeals to be quite a bit.

screenshot_2016-01-17-00-13-34.jpg

screenshot_2016-01-14-13-43-12.jpg

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

And as for budget, I kind of blew my budget on the stone :lol: :lol: so perhaps I should put it in a temp setting like Stuller while I save up for something perfect?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful diamond. While all of the suggested settings look great the tapered baguettes really seems to match the shape of your stone. I like that one the best. Can't wait to see your finished ring. :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:love: :$$): Jackpot! Fabulous! Beautiful! :love: :love: =)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mandaluv1119|1453855969|3982066 said:
Wow! What a stunning stone.

I would set it either as a solitaire or with side stones that are also step cut (bullets? Tapered baguettes?). I wouldn't use any brilliant cuts and definitely not a halo. I think brilliant cut stones surrounding a step cut center compete for your attention, and I would want all eyes on that gorgeous rock!!
Ditto-agree 100%.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wowser! That is a gorgeous stone! If it were me, I'd set it in a temp setting and figure out what my dream setting was and start saving!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Baguettes are REALLY expensive new.

A lot of us buy hideous rings off ebay with lovely baguettes in them and rescue them. We sell the metal for gold.

I have a couple baguettes from exactly this. Once I subtracted the price I got for the metal, I ended paying less than 30 bucks for a pair of lovely baguettes. I am not selling them, just in case anyone's wondering. Some day I will get to set them. I also have some lovely baguettes from my MIL's wedding band. Half of them are broken but I am planning on doing something with the other half. Also some day.

I see baguettes in rings that need rescuing on ebay often.

I would set it in a temp setting. Take it with you to a ton of stores and see what the diamond 'picks'.

Seriously. Since I flip stones sometimes I am in jewelry stores with loose stones every so often and I am often amazed how much personality fancies have. I have had ones that have looked DEAD in pave settings but look fantastic with baguettes and come alive suddenly. And then ones that literally light up when you put them on a pave shank.

My own was like that. Baguettes did nothing for it. But when I put it next to pave, it's like it was the stone it was always meant to be.

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122089/?groupId=120319#/start/ChooseState I'd have GOG get you this setting. In rose gold for now. It will be inexpensive. Have them hand engrave it if you want it to look vintage. And then wear it for a while and see what you want for it's permanent home.

My husband proposed with a temp setting. I am so happy he did. I knew nothing about jewelry then. I would have picked something completely wrong for my stone then. I needed time. You may too.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock

That is gorgeous! I agree with many others: temp setting. And if you like rose gold, why not? It is going to be less expensive and then you can know for sure if you want that metal to be used for your forever setting, too. Congratulations!!!

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock

What a stunning stone!!! Can't wait to see what you set her in. I am so glad you found a beauty!

(Sorry--couldn't find the measurements for mine in time. GIA cert is in safe deposit box.)

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Niel, I do like that bezel but am unsure of the three wire shank since I want something that goes with my wedding band (channel set 7 stone singlecut antique band). Also I am hot for tab prongs at the moment :lol:

Gypsy - that's very clever buying old rings to scrap the metal and reuse the baguettes. Per chance you could message me through LoupeTroop (my marquise is listed there) with a link to an example on eBay so I know how to search for them? I wouldn't know a quality baguette if it hit me in the head.

Also, I like that Stuller but I don't see it available in the right stone size - do they make them custom to the shape of the stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Find me on Diamondbistro, I'm Plizzard.

Finding things on ebay is a skill. It takes time and practice to learn it. And also, there is always an element of luck.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

therainbowradish|1453871412|3982195 said:
Also, I like that Stuller but I don't see it available in the right stone size - do they make them custom to the shape of the stone?

GOG would be the best source to answer that question. It's basically a 10x8 setting they need. I would think it should be possible. If not they might know of a similar setting that is available for your stone, at a good (cheap) price point .

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

You can also message this seller (I wouldn't get a pave setting from them but their solitaires look nice) and see if any of these can be made in rose gold for your stone.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/152628741/antique-reproduction-engraved-solitaire?ref=shop_home_active_10 This one says it can be made for any size center for a 300 fee bring it to 799, not sure if that's worth it, unless you really like it.

I'm not a fan of the workmanship on that art deco ring. Also that head/basket would have to be modified for your corners.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Okay good I will pass on the art deco ring then. It reminds me of springer's fabulous ring she had made for her QR EC.

I have also asked Rhino to take a look through his estate settings... it would be a cinderella slipper situation because of the unusual dimensions but who knows. Don't stone me, but I am not a fan of engraving. Stuller seems like maybe the way to go for the time being. And just for kicks, I sent an email to DK to get a quote on the graduated bezel baguette ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

therainbowradish|1453875117|3982214 said:
I like this a lot but wouldn't the corners of the basket show since my diamond has such clipped corners? And would it sit up too high? Otherwise I kind of like the NSEW prongs... http://www.stuller.com/products/71595/?groupId=115028

Yeah. That wouldn't work. If you go for a bezel it has to be specially made to your stone.

Valentine's day is around the corner. James Allen may have another 25% off their settings. If so, I'd go for this one, as far as bezels go:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-emerald-center-item-41279 But I'd milgrain around the inside of the bezel. And ask them what hand engraving the shank would cost. :Up_to_something:

Alternately, you could ask them if they could do this for an Emerald: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/tension/14k-rose-gold-pave-crown-bezel-engagment-ring-item-53468 I love this one.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Oh wait, the setting I linked is not for a bezel - it has prongs that are north south east west but they are hard to see. I don't love hand engraving on the shanks, I know I am in the major minority here haha. I do like those JA settings but prefer the CAD rendering of the second one vs the photo they show of an actual stone they set - the bezel top looks flat (and I already have a setting like that with milgrain inside the edge lol). I do like 25% off though! Do you send your stones to them to be set so they can make it perfectly?

We have a problem.... I just looked through DK's facebook page to see what designs stand out, and it turns out...I like TRAPS. A lot. This setting to me is :lickout: :naughty: :love: I asked him for a quote on it. I'm bracing myself.

10153662_743472619068878_4188513310751657942_n.jpg

10439044_743472979068842_1914927032298321100_n.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Perfect with traps, your new stone is fabulous. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah Traps.are.pricey. Prepare for 4-6k on that. Although since you need J's could be less, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

That's true, and that asscher looks like a 5 carat so maybe they would overwhelm my little guy by comparison? I'll be finding out if Jon has any estate settings today, too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

JA has 15% Valentines day discount. You can get their baguette setting, ask if they can do J baguettes for you. Have that be your temp.
http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-tapered-baguette-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7101

Then gi from there.

Or pick another tenp from them.

Yes you would pay now, and ship them the stone.

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/three-stone/14k-white-gold-three-stone-trellis-diamond-engagement-ring-round-item-50676

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-petite-diamond-accent-engagement-ring-item-50124

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results