shape
carat
color
clarity

My new 2.63 MRB Solitaire from GOG

girlmom

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1461273945|4022188 said:
Gorgeous and it does look really really big on you. The prongs would bother me a lot. I had similar prongs in my first two settings. Hated it so much I had to get a reset from victor Canera. Worth every penny to me ;-)

Yeah the prongs are definitely too large but I'm not even completely sure what I would have them do to fix it. I know I just want them smaller and less pronounced. Plus I don't know if I want to pay for shipping and insurance back and forth to fix it. Ah..what to do!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
Laila619|1461285509|4022257 said:
I don't think the prongs are bad. They are probably bigger than the really pointy, thin ones we are used to seeing on PS. But they look pretty normal to me. Enjoy your new ring!!

Thank you. Makes me feel better reading your comment! O

girlmom

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1461289419|4022284 said:
Your new ring looks beautiful! If the prongs really bother you, they can always be shaved down a bit to not be so prominent. However, the whole ring is new so you might want to wear it a bit before making a final decision on the prongs.

We'll look forward to many more pictures - are you taking these with an iPhone?

Good advice! I think I will definitely wait a bit. For now, the new stone is exciting enough where the prongs don't bother me too much yet. And Yes iPhone pics! Although with some of the pics I used a macro lens attachment. I think it made the stone look bigger if that's possible..

girlmom

Rough_Rock
cchloe|1461295839|4022305 said:
It looks HUUUUGE and you have tiny fingers so it looks like a 3 carat! It is beautiful!!

Do you keep looking down at it every chance you get? What are you thoughts now after the upgrade, sacrificing color and clarity for cut and carat?

I cannot stop looking at it. It's pretty hilarious. When I put on make up, I find myself angling my hand in awkward positions so I can catch a glimpse of the ring in the mirror! And driving with this new ring is hazardous!!

And so far I think I'm really glad I sacrificed color and clarity. For the most part, I think it looks really bright and can't notice inclusions unless you're seriously staring. But of course there are certain lighting conditions where I get paranoid that it's looking warm. I'll have to see after a few weeks how I feel. My previous stone was an F and vs2 but not ideal PS worthy cut and already this one just sparkles so much more even though lower clarity and color. Look at the before and after.

For reference... 1.3 f vs2 (not ideal cut and very dirty in this pic) vs 2.63 h si2

image_689.jpg

girlmom

Rough_Rock
Tekate|1461338678|4022437 said:
GOG are great people! your stone is honking gorgeous, great coverage, love it.. happy 10 years! :appl: :appl: :appl:

:love: :love:

Thanks! I worked with Matt at GOG and they were fantastic!! I was a crazy lady emailing him many times daily and changing my mind a thousand times for several weeks nonstop and he was so patient and understanding the entire time! Even my husband felt sorry for him!!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1461352550|4022521 said:
Why does it look like a 5 carat on you?!?!! It's beautiful, congratulations on a stunning ring!! :appl:

And happy 10th anniversary!!

It really looks more like a 2.5 I promise!! I think the macro lens somehow made it look bigger! Thank you!!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! it's beautiful, and I'm envious of your tiny ring size! Makes your stone look twice as big!
Regarding the prongs...since you just received it, won't they work with you on taking it back to reduce the size or change them a little? I'm sure they want you to be happy with your new ring and not have any doubts about it. Have you spoken with them about it?
To my eye (and keep in mind the zoomed in effect of close up photography can be deceiving) they are a little heavier than I would want, but I think prong size and shape are just one of the many variables that are personal preference.

Congrats again on your beautiful stone and happy anniversary!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness, it looks HUGE on you!

Enjoy your ring, and have a safe trip (to you and that ring!)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and ring. It looks fabulous on your hand.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! :love: :love: :love: Beautiful, blingy and BIG!! :dance: Absolutely gorgeous on your hand!

And I hope you went someplace fun lol!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on 10 years! What a gorgeous, sparkly stone! It looks wonderful on you! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring and diamond :love:
It looks so big on your slender hand. Just stunning!!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Man, I wish I had smaller hands...! I love this ring - it's so :love:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Your diamond looks absolutely delicious! I think any color you are picking up in your H is probably in your head :) Perhaps you should buy yourself a small J or K just to appreciate your H :D

A though about the prongs: I prefer smaller, nearly invisible prongs, but larger prongs might help your diamond look ever bigger (no need for that, really). I have a 0.56 ct diamond and my friend has a 0.5 ct, but her diamond looks much larger than mine because she has huge prongs :)

Sapphiredreams

Rough_Rock
wow what a beauty! i agree with the others- looks so big on your finger! I was going to ask what your ring size was then I realized that it's a 4 hehe.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
absolutely stunning! :love: and it looks huge on your finger!!! The profile shot with your eternity ring is so scrumptious :lickout: happy 10 yrs!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! It looks beautiful on you!!!

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
Wow what a beautiful solitaire!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
girlmom|1461357352|4022561 said:
Gorgeous and it does look really really big on you. The prongs would bother me a lot. I had similar prongs in my first two settings. Hated it so much I had to get a reset from victor Canera. Worth every penny to me ;-)

Yeah the prongs are definitely too large but I'm not even completely sure what I would have them do to fix it. I know I just want them smaller and less pronounced. Plus I don't know if I want to pay for shipping and insurance back and forth to fix it. Ah..what to do!
girlmom, I assume you asked for "tabbed" prongs and not claws? If so, I think the width and size of your prongs are actually right for your stone size. The reason why they look big is because they aren't "tucked in" enough. If it really bothers you, you can ask GOG if it is possible for them to shave down the "outer rim" of each prong, which does not require the stone to be unmounted. Hope I am explaining this correctly!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
CareBear|1461919095|4025006 said:
girlmom|1461357352|4022561 said:

girlmom, I assume you asked for "tabbed" prongs and not claws? If so, I think the width and size of your prongs are actually right for your stone size. The reason why they look big is because they aren't "tucked in" enough. If it really bothers you, you can ask GOG if it is possible for them to shave down the "outer rim" of each prong, which does not require the stone to be unmounted. Hope I am explaining this correctly!

I think you're right. I think the issue is that they are not tucked in enough. I'm sure GOG would do it but I don't know if they would cover the shipping.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
girlmom, it sounds like if gog pays for shipping then you prefer to have the prongs fixed? Usually if there is a 'defect', you can request the vendor pay for shipping to get it fixed. In your case since there is technically no defect, whether or not gog should pay for shipping depends on what was promised vs what was delivered. Either way it never hurts to ask!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
I agree, that it doesn't hurt to ask. You deserve to be over the moon happy with your ring!

I will say, the shipping/insurance hassle is the one downside of buying online. A very short time after I received my ring from Whiteflash, both surprise stones fell out (stones that were set inside the shank). They offered to fix it under warranty, but I would have had to pay to ship it to them and the insurance as well, over $100.00.

Anyway, I chose not to send it, and have two little divot holes inside my shank that look sad and empty. One of these days I'll probably have a local jeweler replace them, they told me it would be less than the $100 and that they shouldn't have fallen out. I didn't pay a lot to have them added, but I did pay for them and was disappointed that they didn't cover the shipping to replace them. The point is, I would ask and then go from there. You better believe that if I didn't like something outward about my ring, I would have sent it back right away. Depending on what was communicated with them when you ordered your ring, it may or may not be something they want to cover for you!

As my husband often says "The answer's no unless you ask!"

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we need more hand shots of your new ring! Hope you are loving it more every day!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1462022087|4025473 said:
I think we need more hand shots of your new ring! Hope you are loving it more every day!

+1. I can't get over how big it looks! Beautiful!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
Mayk|1462023313|4025478 said:
MissGotRocks|1462022087|4025473 said:

+1. I can't get over how big it looks! Beautiful!

A few more pics. Thanks ladies! I can't get enough. Constantly staring at my hand. I'm sure you ladies know the feeling..
image_711.jpg
image_710.jpg
image_715.jpg

girlmom

Rough_Rock
1 more of just the ring without wedding band

image_717.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the new pictures - it really does look beautiful on your hand! So glad to hear that you are so enjoying the sparkles so much!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning ring and the stone is a great size. Best of luck to you!

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
It's funny I just stumbled upon this thread....just got mine yesterday and was feeling same way about prongs. I did have them shave them down a bit and it does look better. But I think your starting pics are really close up because the last ones you posted, don't look large to me. I'm still trying to get used to mine. I think a large part is I'm used to four prongs and six is a big difference. Looks gorgeous on your hand and love your Cartier!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results