shape
carat
color
clarity

My mum's near 2ct MRB, now mine!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mum cannot remember the spec when she purchased the stone over 30 years ago, except it is 'near 2ct and a good colour and very clean'. It is about 8mm in diameter.
Next to my E colour EC, it looks like it could be a G/H or warmer.
It looks quite clean when viewed under my 20x loupe with light, however I am not an expert.
As for the cut, it looks sparkly, however definitely not H&A.
I shall have it GIA certified for insurance purposes, and to satisfy my own curiosity.
It is currently set in a horrible ring that has features that I do not like, such as the stone sitting very high, prongs, and a knife edge shank. :knockout:
I am likely to re-set it as a RHR or a pendant. Although I am a fan of ECs and step cuts, it is a nice stone and has sentimental value - I was with her when she bought it, along with other pieces of diamond jewellery for her and for me.
Some pics of my 1.19ct EC next to my new MRB, thanks mum! :bigsmile:
imag0378.jpg
imag0377.jpg

DK :love:

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
What a sentimental piece from your mum. These are the type of jewelry I treasure most. :clap: :dance: Wear it in health.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and story DK! Definitely a stone to treasure. Enjoy wearing it (in whatever for you will choose for it).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hand shots as the ring just about fit my ring finger:

imag0399.jpg
imag0401.jpg
imag0400.jpg

I found an extra facet in the girdle with my inexperience eyes, therefore I do not expect a good cut grade.

DK :))

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! How nice to have something so beautiful and meaningful from your Mom! :appl: Looking forward to seeing how you set it. Thanks for sharing! :wavey:

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
Lovely! Have you considered having it recut to ideal proportions?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Loved your emerald but the round suits your hand so much more. Hope you go for a halo that would be a lovely spread.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love this stone! Such a great sentimental piece :) Hope you enjoy it and wear it often!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a really pretty stone and it looks lovely on you dk168. What a very special and meaningful gift.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words.
I had not considered having it re-cut until now and shall make some enquiries, thanks for the suggestion.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should I bother with getting it certified prior to re-cut?

I believe it is worth the effort and expense, and added security etc...

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you should.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
DK, this ring looks really nice on you! Really pretty. Congrats on such a special stone, wear it in health and happiness.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK, I love both your rings!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1447640300|3950108 said:
Should I bother with getting it certified prior to re-cut?

I believe it is worth the effort and expense, and added security etc...

No, if you use Brian Gavin, he will assess the stone for you prior to recutting. No reason to get GIA report now. You just need a simple appraisal from a jeweler with a value in order to send it to Brian with insured shipping.

I received a smaller diamond from my mother a few years ago and had Brian recut it. It was a good decision because the stone is FAR more beautiful even though it is smaller!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and what a wonderful treasure for you to have. I like your EC ring too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appointment made for Feb 2016 for the diamond to be assessed by Rob van Beurden of Diamond House and Fortrez fame, with the aim for it to be re-cut if it is deemed suitable.

And I have more or less decided on the ring design.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, with Rob you are in good hands.

Any teaser regarding the design you have in mind?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1448199970|3952747 said:

I purchased my EC from Rob, and am returning to him as we already know each other.

I am being sentimental about the ring design, to remind me of Hong Kong, and am planning on having a convertible ring/pendant made based on the flower of HK that is a Bauhinia blakeana, details to be decided such as whether to have any paved diamonds in the petals (I currently favour the shiny metal with no stones so as not to distract the centre diamond).

Here are some inspiration pics:
p0285_large.jpg
roxi-gold-plated-fashion-rings-austrian-crystal-bauhinia-flower-crystal-rings-fashion-jewelry.jpg

P.S. Fancy meeting up in Antwerp if I were to collect the stone after re-cut in person? :naughty:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing design inspirations DK and I love meaningful stones in meaningful designs

Meeting up in Antwerp would be great! Let's try to find a way contact each other...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1448209659|3952778 said:
Amazing design inspirations DK and I love meaningful stones in meaningful designs

Meeting up in Antwerp would be great! Let's try to find a way contact each other...

Thanks for the kind words, and I have already found a way to contact each other, thanks to mochiko42. :naughty:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1448210587|3952784 said:

Thanks for the kind words, and I have already found a way to contact each other, thanks to mochiko42. :naughty:

That's great!!
Thank you Mochiko :wavey: I cannot wait to hear how we can contact each other DK :appl:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1448202618|3952757 said:
Acinom|1448199970|3952747 said:

I purchased my EC from Rob, and am returning to him as we already know each other.

I am being sentimental about the ring design, to remind me of Hong Kong, and am planning on having a convertible ring/pendant made based on the flower of HK that is a Bauhinia blakeana, details to be decided such as whether to have any paved diamonds in the petals (I currently favour the shiny metal with no stones so as not to distract the centre diamond).

Here are some inspiration pics:
p0285_large.jpg
roxi-gold-plated-fashion-rings-austrian-crystal-bauhinia-flower-crystal-rings-fashion-jewelry.jpg

P.S. Fancy meeting up in Antwerp if I were to collect the stone after re-cut in person? :naughty:

Ah, a bauhinia! I love this. :) <3 I saw this diamond in person and it's quite a big rock :naughty: the completed ring will be quite the statement piece! :love: I hope it will be done in time for your next HK trip, DK!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice Dk!...never say no to any FREE diamonds... :wink2:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Free diamonds are my favorite

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

It is a nice gift indeed, thank you mum!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update.

I went to meet Celine of Diamond House in London today to evaluate the diamond to see if it is worth going down the re-cutting route.

She was very helpful, and her advice is to leave it alone. Yes there is an extra facet in the girdle, however, it is still a very nice diamond in terms of symmetry, polish, colour (most likely to be an H), and clarity is good under a loupe. The carat weight is about 1.87ct.

All the above is just a rough guide, of course, however, she is very knowledgeable for certain!

Back to the drawing board with design ideas, as I would like to maximise the opportunities to wear it in different format.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1448217662|3952820 said:
dk168|1448210587|3952784 said:

That's great!!
Thank you Mochiko :wavey: I cannot wait to hear how we can contact each other DK :appl:

Walk into the Leopold Hotel and briefly touch your right ear with your left hand. A man will walk up to you and say, "My, what fine weather we're having." That's your contact. Follow him to a room where DK168 will be waiting.

Hahaha! I couldn't help it - the bolded sounded so James Bond!!

Nice diamond but I bet it will be a firecracker if you had a Brian Gavin re-cut!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results