shape
carat
color
clarity

My mother's ring

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
When my parents got engaged my father asked my mother if she wanted a ring or a pair of ice skates and she thought (being the practical woman she was) she would get more use out of the ice skates then a ring. Imagine! :bigsmile: They got married with plain yellow gold bands and my mother never missed not having an engagement ring. As she neared her 40th birthday (I was 13 at the time), my mother started thinking she'd like a nice right hand ring (she had no other jewellery other than her wedding band) and went to the jewellery store and feel in love with this sapphire and diamond ring. She never thought that my father would get it for her because it was an expensive purchase for them but she did tell me about the ring and I then told my father and he went out and got it for her and surprised her with it on her 40th Birthday. I'll never forget the look on her face and the pride my father took in presenting it to her. My mother still wears this ring on a regular basis and it's still the only ring (other than wb) she has. It still looks beautiful on her as she has nice, long, lean fingers. This ring, I believe, is what started my love affair with diamonds. Growing up, I would watch it sparkle in all lighting imaginable and it mesmerizes me still today. She asked my to clean her ring today and I decided to take a few pictures to show my PS friends this timeless classic.

Diamond (single cut) and sapphire ring
size 5 (I can only fit it on my pinky - I'm a size 6-6.5)
Yellow gold band
Bought in 1983

Thanks for letting me share. :wavey:

Cachette :))

mom's ring.JPG

mom's ring 2.JPG

mom's ring 3.JPG

mom's ring 4.JPG

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty! And what a lovely story. I can't get enough of family heirlooms (even if it's only from the 80's :cheeky: )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweet story and pretty ring! Sapphires and diamonds are my favorite combination!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
How romantic and lovely! I adore pieces with meaningful history.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, that's such a sweet story, and what a pretty ring!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Hooooo Cachette! What a beautiful story and gorgeous ring! Your mother is certainly adorable. Give her a kiss for me please and tell her how I'm in love with her sapphire and diamond ring!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Aww, I love your story, and your moms ring looks alot like the first real quality piece of jewelry that my parents bought me.

My mom has never been a fan of fine jewlery, she lost her wedding set in a fire years ago, and has never wanted to replace it, even after attempts from my dad. I LOVE heirloom pieces, and unfortunately I can't expect any to be passed to me from my mother, but like you, my grandmother has a beautiful :love: emerald cut emerald in a halo setting in YG from the early 80's that my grandfather bought her one year, and I can still remember her letting me try it on and wear it around her house. She had the most amazing jewelry box for a little girl to play in, including a 3.5ct RB that I used to wear and pretend I was a princess getting married to a prince, yadda yadda :oops:. Also like you, her collection began my love affair with diamonds and I still love to sit with her and compare pretties! :lickout:

lorimiow

Rough_Rock
Such a lovely, unique ring, and an even lovelier story!! Thanks for sharing :))

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
ChloeTheGreat|1309738313|2961301 said:
So pretty! And what a lovely story. I can't get enough of family heirlooms (even if it's only from the 80's :cheeky: )

Thank you! The 80's were a one of a kind decade weren't they? At least the ring doesn't have a diamond mullet! :lol:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1309743431|2961341 said:
What a sweet story and pretty ring! Sapphires and diamonds are my favorite combination!

Thank you diamondseeker!

I'm also a huge fan of diamond and sapphire jewellery pieces. There's just something about the contrast in the 2 colors that draws the eye...

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is so pretty, but I just love the story that came with it!! :love:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Ninama|1309744088|2961345 said:
How romantic and lovely! I adore pieces with meaningful history.

Thank you Ninama! I just love older jewellery for their history also! And it's always nice to get it from the original owner. :))

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1309744487|2961351 said:
Aw, that's such a sweet story, and what a pretty ring!

Thank you junebug17!!!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
stci|1309745575|2961355 said:
Hooooo Cachette! What a beautiful story and gorgeous ring! Your mother is certainly adorable. Give her a kiss for me please and tell her how I'm in love with her sapphire and diamond ring!

Merci Sylvie! Je vais certainement lui livrer le message!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a neat story. I am glad she got her ring and she loves it. It is very pretty.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1309748616|2961375 said:
Aww, I love your story, and your moms ring looks alot like the first real quality piece of jewelry that my parents bought me.

My mom has never been a fan of fine jewlery, she lost her wedding set in a fire years ago, and has never wanted to replace it, even after attempts from my dad. I LOVE heirloom pieces, and unfortunately I can't expect any to be passed to me from my mother, but like you, my grandmother has a beautiful :love: emerald cut emerald in a halo setting in YG from the early 80's that my grandfather bought her one year, and I can still remember her letting me try it on and wear it around her house. She had the most amazing jewelry box for a little girl to play in, including a 3.5ct RB that I used to wear and pretend I was a princess getting married to a prince, yadda yadda :oops:. Also like you, her collection began my love affair with diamonds and I still love to sit with her and compare pretties! :lickout:

Thank you Christina! My mom also isn't into fine jewellery. Not sure where I get it from. :bigsmile: How fun to play with your Grandmother's pieces!! Lucky girl!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
lorimiow|1309755389|2961401 said:
Such a lovely, unique ring, and an even lovelier story!! Thanks for sharing :))

Thanks lorimiow! I love PS for being able to share my love for jewellery with others who feel the same. :))

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi|1309787297|2961457 said:
The ring is so pretty, but I just love the story that came with it!! :love:

Thank you DandiAndi! I appreciate it!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
marcy|1309804117|2961612 said:
What a neat story. I am glad she got her ring and she loves it. It is very pretty.

Thank you marcy!! She does love it and it means so much to her that my father spoiled her that day.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
That is a lovely ring and a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing both! :appl:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Mrsacornblue|1309820759|2961696 said:
That is a lovely ring and a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing both! :appl:

You're most welcome Mrsacornblue!! And thank you for your lovely comments!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Great story! I love that ring too :love:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring! Thanks for sharing it with us. It is wonderful that your mom has something so pretty from your father to cherish and make her feel special.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results