shape
carat
color
clarity

My Michael E masterpiece

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock

This post is about 5 months late but at least it finally exists!

The background: About a year ago I got tired of searching for an engagement ring and was waiting very impatiently for my boyfriend to give me one, when it occurred to me that I could go out and create a sparkly of my own.

When I was 17 I got engaged to my 19 year old boyfriend. It was a rocky relationship to say the least, filled with jealousy, anger and constant drama. After almost 3 years together he broke up with me and asked me to move out of our shared apartment. At the time I was devastated but quickly came to realize that he had done me a great service that I probably wouldn''t have had the strength to do for myself. It didn''t take me long to stop resenting him and we maintained a civil friendship for months afterward.

Due to the fact that he officially ended our engagement and also owed me some money, we mutually decided that I would keep the engagement ring. It sat with my other unworn jewelry for 3 years before I considered having it reset. As familiar as it was in its yellow gold eternity band setting, it was time for a change. I was ready to move on.

My original "maul" store setting:
heidioldring.jpg

heidioldringhand.jpg

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock

As an Internet research addict I spent tons of hours trying to determine exactly what I wanted in a right hand ring. I was a bit self conscious about the appearance of the stone on my chubby size 8.5 fingers (thanks a lot for passing those on to me grandma!) so I fell instantly in love with a Ritani that showed a number of small diamonds encircling the center stone. I had no doubt it would complement my 1/3 ct quite well. I contacted a reputable jeweler for a price quote and was surprised with the numbers they returned to me. I was still determined to find a similar setting but hoped for something more in line with my budget.

I contacted Michael E and sent him a photo of what I had in mind. It wasn’t long before he responded with a photo of an adwar setting that was much more in line with my intended budget. Unfortunately I had emailed him at a time when a number of companies shut down entirely for a summer break and I was forced to wait a couple of weeks for the setting to be ordered. If nothing else, it gave me time to mail my diamond to Michael and build the excitement about my soon to be ring!

Since my original engagement ring was purchased back in 1997 from an overpriced mall store that sold very few certified stones at the time, I had absolutely no idea what color or clarity my diamond was. I asked Michael to give me his best guess and I must admit I was shocked to learn it was an I in color (although I believe it has very strong fluoresence since it glows very brightly under a black light) and an I1 in clarity! It always looked so white and although I had spotted a wispy black carbon thread inside I had never really considered what that would mean for it’s clarity. Regardless of it’s poor appearance on paper, my sentimental attachments make it much more valuable.

Michael and I emailed back and forth throughout the entire process. When he received the new white gold setting, both he and I were surprised to find that there were openings for additional diamonds on the gallery sides as well. Since he was unable to work with the teeny tiny diamonds in my original setting, he made a deal with me and exchanged my yellow gold and small stones for enough of his stones to fill the new ring. He even went the extra step to add star engravings around the side galleries to help the little diamonds to “pop”.

The day before he shipped my new pretty he was kind enough to take some photos to squelch some of my curiosity but it wasn’t until I opened the box and held it in my own hands that I realized just how beautiful it was. I am ecstatic with the wonderful job that he did and I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone. Every day since August I have looked at this new ring and smiled. It is a symbol not only of how far I’ve come but a reminder of my strength and ability to grow. I am so grateful that Michael was able to provide me with such a wonderful ring. I apologize for taking so long to post these, but here goes:

top.jpg

cd.jpg

sideways.jpg

side.jpg

hand1.jpg

hand2.jpg

hand3.jpg

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
its beautiful! What a drastic improvement over the original!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW--what a difference...well done!! Enjoy!!!!

cheers--Sharon

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! Not only a beautiful ring, but all the more special b/c of the meaning and sentiment attached....this is a ring of growth and learning and SELF! What a lovely setting!! And It doesn''t look like an I, I agree!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amazing transformation! I love your new ring
30.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
You did an amazing job and the diamond looks so much bigger in its new home! I love the symbolism behind the ring and congratulate you on your strength and growth.
36.gif
36.gif
1.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring you now have! The setting sets the diamond off perfectly. I love it set in Plat vesus yellow gold. Simply stunning!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heidi - your new ring is fabulous - just gorgeous!

I can completely relate with your story - I too was engaged at 19 with a .33 princess cut and 2 side baguettes. I designed a ring - had all 3 set in a thick semi-flat pipe-cut-ish band, and I still wear it occasionally today. Of course, my redesign happened in back in 1997. I wore it on my left hand as my "never settle" ring, and never took it off until I met my future fi2b. You should also wear it in good health, and every time you look at it, may you remember how much you have grown in the past few years, and how much you have yet to accomplish.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I almost passed on this thread because the first ring is not my taste, but I noticed the word "original" above it and decided to scroll down. I''m so glad I did because your ring is spectacular! I am blown away by the difference!!! It looks absolutely gorgeous on your hand. Wear it in good health!

Shay

Shiny_Rock
Your new ring is stunning! And the setting suits larger fingers much better than the first. I also have large fingers so I understand why you would be concious of it.

Well done!
36.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
hopefulheidi, thank you for sharing your story and pictures. I''m a Michael E. fan as well
emthup.gif
, not only because of his work, but I found he is such a gentleman to work with.

Enjoy your new sparkly. The difference is amazing.
36.gif

~kmom
35.gif

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Wow your new setting is just gorgeous!! and very unique!!! Doesn''t it feel good to give YOURSELF something nice that you KNOW you deserve and that represents so much growth?!?!?!! Good for you!!!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your story. The ring turned out beautifully.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
What a great story! The ring is beautiful and I know you will enjoy it. I don''t know how old you are now but you sound very wise and mature.

Good luck on the engagement too.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely new setting, i love it!
30.gif
It compliments your diamond so well! Congratulations and wear it in good health and happiness!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, the ring turned out beautifully!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very Nice Congrats on the upgrade...
9.gif

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
LOVE THE NEW RING BUT I''M JUST CURIOUS...WHAT DOES YOUR BOYFRIEND THINK ABOUT YOU WEARING A DIAMOND FROM AND EX?
23.gif
ALSO, DID BF PAY FOR THE RESET?

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
Well done! I like the idea of doing your own right hand ring.
Personally I don''t think it matters if you repurpose an old flame''s jewelry. If my hubby had a nice sparkly from his ex I would certainly repurpose it, after I had it blessed.

Molson

Rough_Rock
Wow, I love the new ring! It looks great on you! Congrats!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Good for you!!!!! This turned out wonderfully! I love the setting and it really transforms and shows off your stone.
30.gif
Wear it in good health!
1.gif

book_of_love

Rough_Rock
Very pretty! Looks gorgeous now!
10.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is amazing! it looks so much better, and BIGGER! Congratulations on such a meaningful ring!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that came out beautiful!! He did a great job with it. Enjoy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this design much better, and wow does the bezel make it really pop and appear much larger!!

I really am starting to like bezels, they add so much to smaller stones...it would be a perfect idea for a RHR if you don''t want a huge knocker of a bauble (or if you do but cant afford it yet!).

So is the final a RHR?

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring! It is beautiful. Wear it in good health.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone and setting!!!!!
3.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Beeeeeeeautiful! I LOVE those kinda settings...ever since I first saw Ritani''s, I''ve dreamt about owning a sparkly like that of my own.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results