shape
carat
color
clarity

My Malayas with 18K and 14K Rose Gold LOGR''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL... I think the first one is my favorite also! It makes me want to take a chance again with an LOGR setting. I will make sure to upgrade the diamonds to full cut and VS!!!! Just beautiful stones you have!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 5:43:19 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
TL... I think the first one is my favorite also! It makes me want to take a chance again with an LOGR setting. I will make sure to upgrade the diamonds to full cut and VS!!!! Just beautiful stones you have!
CCN,
Thank you very much!! I also made sure he put in writing that he would add millgrain to the setting and it came out very nice. I'm pleased with it even though it's light on the gold weight. Actually it does look a lot nicer in person than the other setting. The other setting is very very tiny and light on gold. I would recommend it for people that like daintier settings. Thanks for the kind words on my gems.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that lilac is also really nice with the rose gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 6:03:05 PM
Author: innerkitten
Wow, that lilac is also really nice with the rose gold.
I''m not crazy about it actually. I think that color would look better with white gold. The rose is too coppery IMO. However I guess it''s a matter of personal taste. Thanks.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I like the contrast. I still have no idea what I''ll do with my malaya. Maybe rose gold or white gold. I was hoping for yellow before I received the stone, but it just doesn''t seem to go. When will yours be set?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 6:55:50 PM
Author: innerkitten
Yeah, I like the contrast. I still have no idea what I''ll do with my malaya. Maybe rose gold or white gold. I was hoping for yellow before I received the stone, but it just doesn''t seem to go. When will yours be set?
I''m bringing it to the jeweler tomorrow, so hopefully in a few days. They usually have so much benchwork, that it takes a while.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
How fun, TL! I love seeing all of the combos!
36.gif

Lori

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
TL, I just wanted to squeal out that I think your little pink diamond looks awesome in that setting, even if it is too small. I liked the lavender spinel as well.

I was a bit confused about your oval Malaya. Now that you''ve seen the 18k vs. the 14k, have you decided to keep the 18k or send it back in favour of a 14k, given their similarities?

I learnt a bit today about how rose gold is made. Some goldsmiths add fine silver to the mix to make the alloy more malleable, some don''t. I am sure there are other differences. For instance, I''d love to know the mix for Mark Morell''s rose gold.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 8:41:46 PM
Author: Gailey
TL, I just wanted to squeal out that I think your little pink diamond looks awesome in that setting, even if it is too small. I liked the lavender spinel as well.

I was a bit confused about your oval Malaya. Now that you''ve seen the 18k vs. the 14k, have you decided to keep the 18k or send it back in favour of a 14k, given their similarities?

I learnt a bit today about how rose gold is made. Some goldsmiths add fine silver to the mix to make the alloy more malleable, some don''t. I am sure there are other differences. For instance, I''d love to know the mix for Mark Morell''s rose gold.

If you search for my recent thread "Question about rose gold" or something to that effect, someone found a table that listed the % of each alloy - gold, silver, copper - that combine to make different colors of gold. For example, the deeper rose gold - one that looks pink - has no silver/white gold - it''s like 92% yellow gold and 8% copper or something. It was a really helpful table. I''d love to know Leon''s mix/recipe!!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man, you guys are really tempting me to buy a malaya and set it in rose gold.. lol

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 8:41:46 PM
Author: Gailey

It wouldn''t be worth returning it because the 18K upgrade was $30, and S&H back is $10, and he charges a pave non-refundable fee of $30 for exchanges/returns. However, now that I''ve seen the 18K rose gold, I will just stick to 14K from now on. Thanks for your comments on my pink diamond and the spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 7:03:55 PM
Author: loriken214
How fun, TL! I love seeing all of the combos!
36.gif

Lori
Thanks Lori!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the ugly aqua/rose combo.
14.gif

TLRoseaqua.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphalerite anyone? This gem would look good in any setting, pity it''s only a 4.5 on the Mohs. Well at least it gives you an idea of an orange/yellow gem in rose gold.

TLRosesphalerite.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 5:03:22 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/23/2009 4:29:12 PM
Author: karee888
Ooh!!! Do you have any dark purple stones to put in there? And maybe a lighter blue? :)
I put a blue aqua in there, but
14.gif
. It was ugly. Here's a lilac spinel (I know I know - me with a spinel????). I don't have any dark purple stones that would fit in there, but I know for a fact that amethyst looks great in rose gold.
This combo looks GREAT!
The aqua and rose combo is terrible - it made the aqua so dull and gray.
14.gif

The sphene looked awesome too.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I really like the malaya in the rose gold. I really, really do.
36.gif
36.gif

BlueSea

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 8:49:45 PM

It wouldn''t be worth returning it because the 18K upgrade was $30, and S&H back is $10, and he charges a pave non-refundable fee of $30 for exchanges/returns. However, now that I''ve seen the 18K rose gold, I will just stick to 14K from now on. Thanks for your comments on my pink diamond and the spinel.
TL, what courier is best to use to ship it back to China? I too, found the shank too skinny, so I wanted to ship it back - but I found out that the Post Office won''t work because we can''t send gold to overseas (declare for custom). I ended up with FedEx but that costs about $50. So, that makes me really hesitate to buy from them - but you''re lucky, these mounting of yours are really nice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 2:45:34 AM
Author: BlueSea

TL, what courier is best to use to ship it back to China? I too, found the shank too skinny, so I wanted to ship it back - but I found out that the Post Office won''t work because we can''t send gold to overseas (declare for custom). I ended up with FedEx but that costs about $50. So, that makes me really hesitate to buy from them - but you''re lucky, these mounting of yours are really nice.
LOGR has an American return location, so if you''re in the US, returns are not a hassle. I know because I returned one to Massachusetts. This is assuming you''re located the U.S. yourself.

However, returns for lan.bo4 and jewe2004 are in China. I never returned anything to China or overseas, so perhaps someone else can chime in on your question.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
TL, love the photo of different colors of gold. We could really use those here, so that people can see how each of them looks. I rembmber once seeing a photo of the same ring done in sterling silver, white gold and platinum - quite interesting. And it may have been my lack of attention here but, of the top two rings in that photo, which is 14 and which 18k rose?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 7:55:56 AM

LOGR has an American return location, so if you''re in the US, returns are not a hassle. I know because I returned one to Massachusetts. This is assuming you''re located the U.S. yourself.

However, returns for lan.bo4 and jewe2004 are in China. I never returned anything to China or overseas, so perhaps someone else can chime in on your question.
I returned a ring mount to jewe2004 to China. I just checked my customs declarations form and I declared it as a "ring mount". I find that my local post office doesn''t ask too many questions if you don''t make a big deal about it, or get too specific.

I''ve returned a spinel to Thailand last year. The lady at the post office had no idea what a spinel was, so I called it a small stone. That got through.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, TL, thanks so much for posting these! I loooove your supernove Malaya, and was thinking of asking Barry to cut another one when I have another "reason" to buy another stone.

These are great threads - showing different colours in rose gold, and comparing old and new LOGR rings. Awesome thread!
35.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
TL

What is the difference between full cut VS and just a VS upgrade? Is there any?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 10:53:35 PM
Author: Chrono

This combo looks GREAT!
The aqua and rose combo is terrible - it made the aqua so dull and gray.
14.gif

The sphene looked awesome too.
I know, isn''t it hideous
40.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 10:47:43 AM
Author: ma re
TL, love the photo of different colors of gold. We could really use those here, so that people can see how each of them looks. I rembmber once seeing a photo of the same ring done in sterling silver, white gold and platinum - quite interesting. And it may have been my lack of attention here but, of the top two rings in that photo, which is 14 and which 18k rose?
I think the top one was 14K and the second from the top was 18K. I know the bottom two are 14K. Glad you liked the photo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 12:39:12 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Oh, TL, thanks so much for posting these! I loooove your supernove Malaya, and was thinking of asking Barry to cut another one when I have another ''reason'' to buy another stone.

These are great threads - showing different colours in rose gold, and comparing old and new LOGR rings. Awesome thread!
35.gif
Thanks Lauren, you''re so sweet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 12:39:39 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
TL

Single cuts have less facets than regular fully faceted stones. I think his VS stones are full cut as well, but I''m not sure. They always look full cut when I upgrade. The one time I didn''t, they were single cuts.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 4:57:18 PM
Date: 3/24/2009 12:39:39 PM

Author: LtlFirecracker

TL

Single cuts have less facets than regular fully faceted stones. I think his VS stones are full cut as well, but I''m not sure. They always look full cut when I upgrade. The one time I didn''t, they were single cuts.

Thanks.

BlueSea

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 11:05:00 AM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 3/24/2009 7:55:56 AM

I returned a ring mount to jewe2004 to China. I just checked my customs declarations form and I declared it as a ''ring mount''. I find that my local post office doesn''t ask too many questions if you don''t make a big deal about it, or get too specific.

I''ve returned a spinel to Thailand last year. The lady at the post office had no idea what a spinel was, so I called it a small stone. That got through.
Thank you, TL & FlyGirl. Yes, I returned a ring mount to jewe2004 to China and found too much trouble to do so.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 2:43:57 PM
Date: 3/24/2009 10:47:43 AM

Author: ma re

I think the top one was 14K and the second from the top was 18K. I know the bottom two are 14K. Glad you liked the photo.

Hi TL,

I think I''m going to have LOGR make me a rose gold setting. In your opinion, which setting was more "pink" [i.e., less coppery] - the 14k or 18k? Or, was there really no difference?

Thanks in advance! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 9:26:20 PM
Author: karee888

Hi TL,

I think I''m going to have LOGR make me a rose gold setting. In your opinion, which setting was more ''pink'' [i.e., less coppery] - the 14k or 18k? Or, was there really no difference?

Thanks in advance! :)
Don''t waste your money, there''s hardly a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results