shape
carat
color
clarity

My Malaya garnet in a LOGR setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2008 8:21:00 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Keli,

Is that a Gemrite stone?
It sure is! It was my first gemstone purchase and I''m thrilled with it!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 9:20:44 PM
Author: GemRite
Hello Kelli,
That is a beautiful setting for the stone! It looks really nice :) I do see the slight tilt in it, sometimes the prongs move a little when setting the stone. If you can live with it ok, but if not they should be able to straighten it out a little. They may have to unseat the stone and try bending the prongs into alignment, if they can''t do it while it is set. If anything happens to the stone contact me and I will help in anyway possible including cutting an exact replacement stone. But most likely nothing will happen. :) It is beautiful!!! And thing else I can do please drop me a line.
Thank you John! I surely hope nothing happens to it, but I definitely will want another one if something does, as I REALLY REALLY like it! But hopefully, the next time I contact you will be to purchase another gorgeous stone.
1.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the replies and kind words everyone! I really do LOVE the contrast of colors and sparkle of this ring! Because of the way it''s set though and the view of it I usually get, the crookedness really just jumps out at me! I know I''m gonna have to see about fixing it. That''s just the perfectionist in me! LtlFirecracker-- I will take some profile shots for you and try to get them posted today. I think when I do that you guys will see more of why it bothers me. Is that your tsavorite in your avatar? It looks really beautiful!

It seems that I did get a pretty good price at least, but we''ll see when I take it to get a quote on fixing it. I don''t want to pay a whole lot, but I have to at least find out. I''m gonna go try for those profile shots now:)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ok I got the profile shots and I think you''ll see more why it bugs me so much. First of all, it''s gotten REALLY dirty already somehow so sorry about that.
20.gif
From one side it looks ok, but from the rest you can see that it''s set up so high that you can see straight into the basket under the stone. I look at my finger and see the metal work in the basket under the garnet. Not too pretty, especially when it''s also really crooked. Some of you guys commented that it looked "rich." I think the color and sparkle look rich, but looking at it from this view says "cheap" to me instead. I''m wondering if the stone can be lowered at all even with the prongs being redone. The first jeweler said the stone was just too big for the setting, because the setting wasn''t done right. Could different prongs allow for it to sit lower? I think it needs to be lowered just as much as it needs to be straightened. Opinions?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf078.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf079.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf080.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf081.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf082a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf083a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf084a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf085.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

pf086.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
10-- thanks for looking and ANY opinions are appreciated!

pf087.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
28.gif
Meh. I hate to say it, but that would drive me slowly batty. ((HUGS)) Can you talk to your jeweler about getting it fixed?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
BTW, pictures #4 through #10 really show what bugs me about it!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 11:03:22 AM
Author: geckodani
28.gif
Meh. I hate to say it, but that would drive me slowly batty. ((HUGS)) Can you talk to your jeweler about getting it fixed?
Thanks Dani! Good to know it''s not just me! I am gonna take it to the guy who shaped my engagement ring and see what he''ll do. I didn''t take it to him in the first place because he moved into the same building as this "diamond dealer" jeweler who I realized I did NOT like when shopping for diamonds. He''s your typical greasy shady dealer who "knows a guy who knows a guy who will get you the best stone at the lowest price." I am hoping though that I don''t have to deal with him, since the other guy is the goldsmith!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 11:11:01 AM
Author: Kelli

28.gif
Thanks Dani! Good to know it''s not just me! I am gonna take it to the guy who shaped my engagement ring and see what he''ll do. I didn''t take it to him in the first place because he moved into the same building as this ''diamond dealer'' jeweler who I realized I did NOT like when shopping for diamonds. He''s your typical greasy shady dealer who ''knows a guy who knows a guy who will get you the best stone at the lowest price.'' I am hoping though that I don''t have to deal with him, since the other guy is the goldsmith!
I have to agree - why did that jeweler set it so high? It looks like it would have been fine to set with the girdle just above the halo. Good luck finding a jeweler to make it right!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 11:23:06 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Date: 10/27/2008 11:11:01 AM
Author: Kelli

28.gif
Thanks Dani! Good to know it''s not just me! I am gonna take it to the guy who shaped my engagement ring and see what he''ll do. I didn''t take it to him in the first place because he moved into the same building as this ''diamond dealer'' jeweler who I realized I did NOT like when shopping for diamonds. He''s your typical greasy shady dealer who ''knows a guy who knows a guy who will get you the best stone at the lowest price.'' I am hoping though that I don''t have to deal with him, since the other guy is the goldsmith!
I have to agree - why did that jeweler set it so high? It looks like it would have been fine to set with the girdle just above the halo. Good luck finding a jeweler to make it right!
He said it was too big for the setting. The setting said 8X6, and the stone measures 8.1X6.1 or so, very close to 8X6. The first jeweler said the setting was made too small, and that the prongs were put in the wrong place. The second jeweler said he''d have to lean the prongs out to make it work, but that it would look nice. Unfortunately though, I don''t really think it looks nice. I''m going to take it to another guy today who does more custom work and see what he thinks could be done. If he can fix it without charging me an arm and a leg, I''ll go for it. If he can''t, I was thinking that maybe a slightly smaller stone could go into this setting. I could ask him if that would be a better way to go. I do really like this stone and this setting, but if they just don''t work together, I could find a smaller oval for this setting and a bigger setting for the garnet. I''d really love it if it could just work though.....

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE!! Found a jeweler to do it. He said it would probably be done by the end of the week, and could cost me between $20 and $40. It almost sounds too good to be true, I really hope it isn''t. He said they would just lower the stone all the way down into the halo and put new prongs on it. Man I hope it comes out right this time! I''ll post more pics when I get it.
1.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
COOL!!
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a competent jeweler should have been able to fit that stone in that setting. I''m glad you found someone to do it. I have many stones that might have been slightly too large for a setting, but the jeweler gets them in there, even when I thought "no way." I can''t wait to see the new pics once it''s done. Sorry about your first experience with an inexperienced setter/jeweler.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 8:42:04 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I think a competent jeweler should have been able to fit that stone in that setting. I''m glad you found someone to do it. I have many stones that might have been slightly too large for a setting, but the jeweler gets them in there, even when I thought ''no way.'' I can''t wait to see the new pics once it''s done. Sorry about your first experience with an inexperienced setter/jeweler.
Thanks:) I really thought that too. I don''t wanna sound harsh, but sometimes I looked at that ring and thought "man, that looks like a five-year-old set it!" I am not a jeweler, but I know I would have never sent a ring home with someone looking like that. I know he didn''t charge me much, but 25 bucks is $25 I could have spent somewhere else! I really hope this guy gets it right. It''s sooooooooooo hard to find competent jewelers in my area.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I got my ring back today. The bad news is that it''s STILL CROOKED!!! LOL it drives me nuts a little but the good news is that it''s lower now and it does look WAY better. I took some pictures but I don''t have time to post them right now. I''ll do it later tonight though. I''m guessing the only way to really get it right would be to find a slightly smaller stone for this setting and a slightly bigger setting for this stone. Darn perfectionism! I am definitely gonna try to leave it for a while anyway. I might be able to get over it this time, as the crookedness doesn''t scream out at me like it did before. One more good thing is that the new guy only charged me $20 to fix it!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
ok some of you guys probably saw in my other thread that I''m happier but still not thrilled, but here are some pictures. I''m also not happy with the way the prongs "eat" the stone either. I will live with it for now, but I REALLY wish I could find a good jeweler. This guy was number three.
8.gif

new516.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
another

new517.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
:)

new519.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
again

new523.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
And last one, showing that unfortunately, it is still crooked.
7.gif

new524ab.JPG

GemRite

Rough_Rock
It looks much better :) And no one will ever see the side view. The top view looks good, i know it is not perfectly straight but jewelry is not an exact science. The results can vary even with the same stone and setting. Pretty ring! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results