shape
carat
color
clarity

My long-awaited custom eternity upgrade set turned out lousy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

3shebabes

Shiny_Rock
This day wore me out too much to write too much tonight, but just to update the sweet folks who've helped me and chatted with me about this...my 10 year anni upgrade custom eternity set was finished today--finally! Took 5 weeks instead of 3.I raced over there, so excited, only to have my heart sink when I saw it. The guy who did it wasn't there and won't be for a few days - a sales associate had to show it to me. Let's just say it was so wrong that even my husband, who has no interest in or patience for all this jewelry nitpicky detail stuff was truly stumped by the sight of it. It did not resemble the pictures I gave him one bit. Not one bit! I took him several large, clear pictures from PS of several heads I like with flowy, feminine prongs (one of which was lynn b's beautiful legato head) and my husband commented that the head was so angular and boxy it looked almost like a man's ring. I was literally stumped. I even wondered if he'd mistakenly switched my sample pics with someone else's and had proceeded to make me a totally different ring.

This guy is very well known and trusted and works with the "best" jewelry store in town and I can't figure it out - and it bums me out to know I can't discuss it with him for several days when he returns. And then I wonder to myself - if he got it that "wrong" this time, what will he come up with next?

UGH. I have a headache. Even my hubby who is the sweetest guy ever (but so not into jewelry stuff) was so excited to go see it because he was excited for me to be so excited..and then this. UGH. and UGH again. Back to the drawing board, I guess....

Anyway -- just wanted to update everybody...

Imaptient One -- if you read this I thought of you today and wished I'd ordered the facets set also! Have you had the prongs lengthened yet? It'll be PERFECT!

It may be another month or more before I post about this set re-do. Hopefully, it'll be a happier post!
face10.gif

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
What a bummer! There''s nothing worse than getting soooo excited about something only to be let down. Hopefully you will get your set the way you envisioned it ASAP! It will be interesting to see what the jeweler says when he gets back. How frustrating
32.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Oh 3she!!! You poor thing! I know how excited you were waiting for this set! I am so bummed for you. And it is SO annoying having to wait when things like this happen. I guess you probably don''t feel up to posting any pics of it...

Sending a bling-hug your way.. hope things work out, and let us know what the doofus jeweler says...

a

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear this! I hope you get the ring of your dreams soon!

3shebabes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I actually can't post pics of it because I did not bring it home with me. My hubby thought we should leave it there - plus I knew it wasn't what I wanted...so I figured why bring it home? I just wish I thought I could talk to the right guy tomorrow and show him, with rings in one hand and my pictures in the other, what major differences there are between the two. I am not exaggerating when I say that even my husband was dumbfounded when he saw the pictures I'd provided because he saw very little if any correlation between my pics and the final result. I just hate that I know it'll take another month to work on it again and even then, I don't feel too confident from this first effort that he "gets it" at all. And to top it off, wouldn't you know it that I have several social events coming up in the next several weeks to which I would've just LOVED to wear my new rings!?

Plus -- even though I only waited 5 weeks for this custom job, the whole process of finding the look I wanted took me such a long while (since September) and then waiting for this custom work -- that it just seems like it has taken forever and I'm still not there...

Believe me, I know how small and insignificant this whole thing is in the scheme of things and that while I sulk because my expensive custom made rings weren't right, people everywhere are dealing with real problems! When I think about it like that, I realize that my whining probably deserves a good smack instead of sympathy...but I am just so disappointed.

Anyway - your sympathetic words are appreciated!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Oh 3shebabes! So sorry about that!
8.gif
I totally understand how it feels when custom (or even regular) settings don't come out right.

I hope you get your (redone) new lovely soon!

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2008 12:14:30 AM
Author: 3shebabes
Thanks everyone! I actually can''t post pics of it because I did not bring it home with me. My hubby thought we should leave it there - plus I knew it wasn''t what I wanted...so I figured why bring it home? I just wish I thought I could talk to the right guy tomorrow and show him, with rings in one hand and my pictures in the other, what major differences there are between the two. I am not exaggerating when I say that even my husband was dumbfounded when he saw the pictures I''d provided because he saw very little if any correlation between my pics and the final result. I just hate that I know it''ll take another month to work on it again and even then, I don''t feel too confident from this first effort that he ''gets it'' at all. And to top it off, wouldn''t you know it that I have several social events coming up in the next several weeks to which I would''ve just LOVED to wear my new rings!?

Plus -- even though I only waited 5 weeks for this custom job, the whole process of finding the look I wanted took me such a long while (since September) and then waiting for this custom work -- that it just seems like it has taken forever and I''m still not there...

Believe me, I know how small and insignificant this whole thing is in the scheme of things and that while I sulk because my expensive custom made rings weren''t right, people everywhere are dealing with real problems! When I think about it like that, I realize that my whining probably deserves a good smack instead of sympathy...but I am just so disappointed.

Anyway - your sympathetic words are appreciated!
it is very important to you, and it sounds like you spent a good deal of time on this project. You are perfectly entitled to feel how you do! I feel terrible for you, but at least you will have a bit of time to put some thought into your conversation with the jeweller. *hugs*

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
You poor girl! I cannot fathom how disappointed you must be! I hope the guy can make this right with you when he comes back. Will he have to start all over from scratch? Is there ANY resemblance at ALL to the pics you gave him? I feel so bad for you. Let us know how they plan to fix this. Good Luck!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my...I''m waiting for my custom ering myself, and I can''t imagine how I will feel if it resulted this way. Your jeweler had better give you a pretty good explanation...Like he suddenly grew brain tumor.
38.gif

Out of curiosity, did you get to see a CAD rendition or a wax model to approve? If you did, it''s bizarre that he screwed up. If you didn''t, it''s bizarre that he didn''t let you.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
In my fury I forgot to give you a hug.

**hugs**

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
oh, 3shebabes! I''ve been patiently waiting for your post. I was so excited to see a post from you until I saw the darn frowning face
emsad.gif
I am so sorry you do not like what the jeweler has done. That sucks big time and I know how disappointed you must be.

Since you asked, I will tell you that I am shipping my ring back to Signed Pieces for them t put the new head on. Jareds just wans''t going to work - the head they ordered in was exactly what was already on there, so I said "No thanks" and called Signed Pieces. They were very nice and told me just to ship it back and they will take care of everything for me and that getting it set higher will be no problem. I spoke to Isaac there, and he was just so darn nice! I feel much better sending back to them to be worked on. Anyway, I''m sending it out tomorrow and he said once they get it, it will take no more than 10 days to get it done.

Gosh, I am so disappointed for you, 3shebabes!
7.gif
I don''t know if I would even want the guy to try to fix it if he didn''t listen the first time. Besides it being wrong, how was the quality of the setting? If it were me, I would probably just get my stone and run!!!

Hugs!

cwj

Shiny_Rock
32.gif
!!!!
cwj

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
How disappointing for you. I really hope it gets sorted out for you soon.

3shebabes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone -- so much -- for sympathizing with my frustration. I just came downstairs this morning and my husband took one look at my worried expression and told me not to fret, that he'd make sure we got what I wanted. I'm just worried because I'm afraid they'll try to say we owe more money for a re-do, but I think the obvious differences in the pictures and the result should mean that he starts over again. They don't do wax models -- maybe they should! I basically was using their shared prong wedding band (thet they make) and having them do a matching shared prong setting with a head on it like the pictures I showed them. I gave him large, clear 8X10 closeups of pretty heads. One that I included was Lynnb's legato head, though I asked not to have the side bars on it and he said that would work. Her head, though most of you probably know, looks like this the picture at the bottom of the page.

But the result I got did not have even remotely resemble that beautiful, open, triangular head shape. Instead of having the head spring from the top of the band, he recessed the head into the band, which meant in order to have the two bands sit close, he had to create two unattractive, flattened, angular, unfinished-looking notches into the side of the head prongs and he did the same ugly, flat, unfinished looking notch on the other side to make it match. The overall head shape looked rectangular, not triangular and it just wasn't flowy and feminine at all. Plus, because he sunk the head into the band, the stone sat lower than I'd like. Side by side, the ring and the pictures did not look related at all and I was totally confused. I know it is impossible to imagine without pictures.
I think I have no other choice but to let them try again. Some of my own stones are included in the wedding band - and the w-band looks fine. It's just that I almost think it'd be safer to have them re-do the setting with their standard tiffany-esque head. It actually resembles Lynnb's head (and the other pretty pictures I shared with him) much more than what he came up with...and I don't dislike it -- it's just that I thought I could custom tweak it a bit and like it a bit better. Ugh. Yuck. I'm baffled and bummed!

legatoheadintegrated.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
babes, I have been patiently waiting forever to finally see that gorgeous stone set in its new home, and to read all this, I think I am almost as bummed out as you are.
7.gif
I am SO sorry this happened.

If they have made a head (tiffany esque) you truly do like, that might be the way to go, so as to avoid all this again. But, you must be sure you would really be happy with it.... {{{hugs}}}

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
its so dissapointing to wait and wait, only to be let down. i''m so sorry for you. its too bad you have to go with the same people. it sounds like you were perfectly clear in your directions. wonder what someone was thinkign? good luck

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh i''m sorry to babes. i hope this next time around turns out better for you.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SOOOO sorry this happened to you - I''m excited every time I pick up ANYTHING from the jewelry store - even a repair!!! I know it''s frustrating, but hopefully it will be straightened out soon.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry, I know how excited you were. Hoping they fix it for you....

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I''m so sorry. How disappointing for you! I really hope he is able to fix it to your satisfaction and NOT charge you for any more work!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Bummer bummer bummer! Just keep going back until you have the ring you dreamed of. How disappointing, I would be devastated. Hope it''s all worked out quickly - maybe they can get a skedadle on so you can wear your bling to the parties soon too.

3shebabes

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much, all of you, for stopping by and reading my poor-pitiful-me tale. Just a quick update: I actually did have a chance today to go back in and meet with the guy -- turns out he was in town and in the store today. I took many of the same pictures I''d shared with him previously and even took a few more to demonstrate. Several women in the store joined in on the conversation and not one of them contradicted what I was saying. They all agreed with me - out loud, in front of him, that the major shape and positioning of teh head was all wrong. He went along with it also - and seemed to suggest that he didn''t understand that I was wanting that head shape and positioning -- he thought I just wanted the rounded, feminine prongs. Anyway, without putting you through too much gruesome detail, it is going back to the drawing board with no argument from anyone. I just hope I made myself clear this time.

Someone asked me in an earlier post whether the quality of the work looked okay to me, despite the design being wrong - and I never answered them. I do think the quality looked fine. The rings were very heavy and substantial feeling platinum, which I like and the prongs in the shared prong bands were very minimal so you really did see only diamonds which I loved.

Interestingly, I had told everyone that my bands were being made with 10 point size stones - because I was using 6 stones from a ring wrap my hubby gave me for anniv. # 5, and they were going to add the same size stones to make the bands - and when I handed over the wrap to the sales associate at the store to send it off to be made, she estimated & measured them and estimated them to be 10 pointers -- which would mean my ring setting (with 10 stones) had a total carat weight of 1.00 carat (minus center stone, of course) and the w-band would have 11 stones or a total carat weight of 1.10 carats. Well--once my side stones were out of the wrap and they could more accurately measure them, turns out they were 13 & 14 pointers! Eegads. So my total carat weight for the setting came to 1.45 carats and for the w-band it came to 1.53 carats. My center stone is a 2.86 carat rb, so my total carat weight for the finished rings will be 5.84 carats! My husband and I croaked when we read that on the custom work order ticket they had written up! Had I known they were using stones that large I might have worried in advance that it would be overwhelming, but I actually thought it just looked really pretty and sparkly. Though I didn''t like the head design, I had them balance my center stone in between the prongs for just a minute so I could see my stone with the bands - and I did like it. It isn''t a terribly delicate look, I will say that, but it is quite blingy - and I can''t help but dig that.

So..hope springs eternal and I am once again hopeful that the end result will be smashing.

They also suggested to me that it should not take quite so long this time around because last time my rings got caught up in the Valentine''s day rush, etc...

So we will see. I will keep ya''ll posted. Thanks again fpr the understanding words. Not one of my friends here knows I have this incredible gift coming and I haven''t wanted to share this info. In fact, the timing will be awkward as several close friends of mine and their husbands have had pretty significant financial worries lately - and it hasn''t felt right telling them about this gift my husband is giving me so I certainly can''t whine and gripe about my frustrations while having it made....
emembarrassed.gif

Anyway -- thanks again -- and happy weekend, everyone!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2008 6:30:58 PM
Author: 3shebabes
Thank you so much, all of you, for stopping by and reading my poor-pitiful-me tale. Just a quick update: I actually did have a chance today to go back in and meet with the guy -- turns out he was in town and in the store today. I took many of the same pictures I'd shared with him previously and even took a few more to demonstrate. Several women in the store joined in on the conversation and not one of them contradicted what I was saying. They all agreed with me - out loud, in front of him, that the major shape and positioning of teh head was all wrong. He went along with it also - and seemed to suggest that he didn't understand that I was wanting that head shape and positioning -- he thought I just wanted the rounded, feminine prongs. Anyway, without putting you through too much gruesome detail, it is going back to the drawing board with no argument from anyone. I just hope I made myself clear this time.

Someone asked me in an earlier post whether the quality of the work looked okay to me, despite the design being wrong - and I never answered them. I do think the quality looked fine. The rings were very heavy and substantial feeling platinum, which I like and the prongs in the shared prong bands were very minimal so you really did see only diamonds which I loved.

Interestingly, I had told everyone that my bands were being made with 10 point size stones - because I was using 6 stones from a ring wrap my hubby gave me for anniv. # 5, and they were going to add the same size stones to make the bands - and when I handed over the wrap to the sales associate at the store to send it off to be made, she estimated & measured them and estimated them to be 10 pointers -- which would mean my ring setting (with 10 stones) had a total carat weight of 1.00 carat (minus center stone, of course) and the w-band would have 11 stones or a total carat weight of 1.10 carats. Well--once my side stones were out of the wrap and they could more accurately measure them, turns out they were 13 & 14 pointers! Eegads. So my total carat weight for the setting came to 1.45 carats and for the w-band it came to 1.53 carats. My center stone is a 2.86 carat rb, so my total carat weight for the finished rings will be 5.84 carats! My husband and I croaked when we read that on the custom work order ticket they had written up! Had I known they were using stones that large I might have worried in advance that it would be overwhelming, but I actually thought it just looked really pretty and sparkly. Though I didn't like the head design, I had them balance my center stone in between the prongs for just a minute so I could see my stone with the bands - and I did like it. It isn't a terribly delicate look, I will say that, but it is quite blingy - and I can't help but dig that.

So..hope springs eternal and I am once again hopeful that the end result will be smashing.

They also suggested to me that it should not take quite so long this time around because last time my rings got caught up in the Valentine's day rush, etc...

So we will see. I will keep ya'll posted. Thanks again fpr the understanding words. Not one of my friends here knows I have this incredible gift coming and I haven't wanted to share this info. In fact, the timing will be awkward as several close friends of mine and their husbands have had pretty significant financial worries lately - and it hasn't felt right telling them about this gift my husband is giving me so I certainly can't whine and gripe about my frustrations while having it made....
emembarrassed.gif

Anyway -- thanks again -- and happy weekend, everyone!
36.gif

lol!

I'm SO glad you went back and saw him, AND you had an arsenal of backup women agreeing with you. Gotta love it.
9.gif
I really, really, REALLY hope it comes out right this time!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you''re really on the right track with the guy this time - good luck! - he''d really look like a buffoon to mess it up now - word to the wise: avoid the rush and confusion of early Feb. with your jeweler!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I'm glad you didn't have to wait until next week to meet with the guy!!! Now, maybe you can enjoy the rest of your weekend without this hanging over your head
emsmile.gif

I think the larger side stones will go great with your hefty center stone
30.gif
My old set had 13 pointers, too, and while they did overwhelm my small-in-comparison center stone, the set was really blingy and I got tons of compliments. I dont think you'll have any problems with them overwhelming your center!!!

Can't wait to see the re-do!
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so glad to hear you were able to meet with him and get your expectations clarified. Isn''t it funny how we can think we are being as clear as possible by providing photos, but someone can totally turn that into something else???

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ohmyword, I just saw this thread! You poor girl, I am so sorry!
6.gif

HOW he made the mistakes he made is BEYOND ME, but hopefully he will get it JUST RIGHT this time! *Fingers crossed!*

Keep us posted!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, I am sorry that your ring did not turn out the way you had hoped but I am happy for you that you were able to meet up with the jeweler and hopefully get your concerns taken care of. Your ring will be finished in no time, and it will be gorgeous!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is too bad it turned out so poorly - I hope they get is fixed for you.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well it sounds like its going to be great when you finally get what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results