carat
color
clarity

my local jeweller thought my J coloured studs were N-colored

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: my local jeweller thought my J coloured studs were N-col

Reports that AGS (or GIA) are comparitively ‘soft’ are measured in fractional grades. That is to say that a stone that one lab calls an I, the other may call a J or visa versa but I’ve never seen a variation between these two labs that’s more than a single grade, much less 4. What you’ve received from this jeweler is a common disservice. An untrained employee looked at the stones in mounted condition in an uncontrolled environment and produced a free opinion as to grading. I understand why you asked this question, it’s good fun to show off your stuff to people who are inclined to appreciate it, it's fun to get confirmation that you got a bargain and ‘free’ is a pretty attractive price point but the advice you got was worth less than it cost. It’s like asking a car salesman what’s wrong with your car and having them answer without even opening the hood and then stressing about it when he recommends an engine rebuild. Even if he turns out to be right I wouldn’t count it as a reliable source. If you want a more useful answer, ask a mechanic and let them take the time and use the tools do a thorough inspection.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

a
denverappraiser said:
Reports that AGS (or GIA) are comparitively ‘soft’ are measured in fractional grades. That is to say that a stone that one lab calls an I, the other may call a J or visa versa but I’ve never seen a variation between these two labs that’s more than a single grade, much less 4. What you’ve received from this jeweler is a common disservice. An untrained employee looked at the stones in mounted condition in an uncontrolled environment and produced a free opinion as to grading. I understand why you asked this question, it’s good fun to show off your stuff to people who are inclined to appreciate it, it's fun to get confirmation that you got a bargain and ‘free’ is a pretty attractive price point but the advice you got was worth less than it cost. It’s like asking a car salesman what’s wrong with your car and having them answer without even opening the hood and then stressing about it when he recommends an engine rebuild. Even if he turns out to be right I wouldn’t count it as a reliable source. If you want a more useful answer, ask a mechanic and let them take the time and use the tools do a thorough inspection.

Thank you, Neil.

It's good to hear from a professional about AGS vs GIA grading.

Actually, I didn't even ask the jeweller about the grading or anything else about the stones. I merely asked her to check the settings to ensure that my stones were not loose. She just voluntered it. She clearly wanted me to think her diamonds were superior but to offer this so-called "free" advice without even having been asked is just plainly ridiculous!

I agree with you about asking a mechanic, now that this stupid woman has created an insecurity in me that wasn't even there in the first place :angryfire:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

phoenix, there is simply NO way that your stones are N. By all means, get your stones re-graded (even if it's just for peace of mind) but i will walk around all day in a chicken suit if they come back as Ns.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results