Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
;( :knockout:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: my local jeweller thought my J coloured studs were N-col

If you're concerned about the grading, get it appraised by a real appraiser and get it in writing. If you trust your jeweler to have properly graded them and you've got their report, go back to the people who sold them to you and see what they have to say.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Let me guess ... because she didn't sell them to you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sounds like sour grapes to me. You have the AGS certs, right? I doubt that both certs are wrong by that much ;))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sounds like a conflict of interest to me ....

Also, I was JUST looking at those earrings on the stud thread. They are beautiful! Gorgeous! Outstanding!

But, you know. If you feel doubt, I'll jump on the grenade and take them off your hands .... :rodent:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I did think that was a conflict of interest as the local jeweller, who incidentally, had F coloured studs of about my size range (about 2.2-2.30ct each) which were beautifully white (obviously! :rolleyes: ), but they were many time more expensive that what I'd paid for mine (which mind you, was not chum-change, like my DH would say). It got me pretty upset I tell you, because we paid a fair penny for those studs and it was a thought-out decision (so not an emotional, impulse purchase at all).

The vendors of these J-coloured studs are very upstanding and I wouldn't suspect them of any wrong-doing. I do wonder though if AGS was soft and/ or the whole regrading across the industry has gone soft altogther. I've noticed there were some occasions here on PS whereby stones that were previously graded H-I/ G, after recutting, came back as G /F respectively after their recut. I myself had a stone recut recently and it was regraded by GIA from its previous G to F, which was totally unexpected and a suprise for me.

It seems to *me* though that the gemologists and jewellers in Asia have got stuck in the 80' mind frame and thus end up grading all stones very strictly. So whatever is graded in the US or Antwerp would (not always) more often than not would be sent back to be regraded (or at least that is what the certifying authorities here would prompt you to do so or ask you to think about doing so).

What do you all think?

I'd certainly like to send my J-coloured studs to an IA or even to GIA to be (re)certed. i'm not sure if my vendor would like that. I've loved them and will continue to love them but at the end of the day, the colour difference can result in quite a few grand difference (particularly in my case, since it as in the tens of thousands of dollars). My only diemma is that I bought them more than 1 year ago, so I don't know if I'd have any recourse and if so, would I do so at the expense of my future relationship with this vendor?

I wanted to throw this out to you guys to get your opinions before i speak to the vendor concerned, as I am NOT sure what I should be doing, if any.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

One thing I wanna add: If AGS was soft and the J should have been an K, then the worst she could say, if she was really pushing it, was that these were "L-coloured", but come on, "N-coloured" stones!!! :o :angryfire:

That's a HUGE price-jump going from J to N !!! I mean I don't personally have anything against N-coloured stones, but what you do NOT want to do is pay the price for J, and then have soneone tell you "you should have not paid more than for N_coloured stones", which was the message she wanted to get across to me today!!

:angryfire: :angryfire:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't waste another minute thinking about what your local jeweller said. If AGS said they are Js, then they are Js. If you want Fs, then you need to pay for Fs. You chose Js. It's your jeweller's problem if she can't tell Js from Ns, not yours.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock

Hey Phoenix! Love love love your studs! Well, love your everything - all of your jewelry! :love:

Not many jewelers are used to dealing with J colored stones, so that might explain the super off grading estimation! What size studs are these? Are they the 1 carat each studs or the super fantastic huge studs? I don't think AGS (which is one of, if not THE strictest) would grade an N colored stone a J. I do sympathize with you on the J studs, though. I have 2 pairs - one pair has J colored .78 each and they are super white and insane. No complaints. The ones that are a little over a carat each do show warmth to my eye, though. One is I and one is J colored. I am super pleased with them as they are killer cut and very fiery but I know now that I prefer blazing bright white stones and will never buy J again. I think anything over .75 each for me personally shows too much warmth and I love the icy bright white colors because they pop more.

Still, a J can be an unbelievably lovely stone. Are these the ones you recut? They are SPECTACULAR. I would embrace their warmth and be happy that at least a killer cut masks a lot of the color. If you bezeled them, they will show color more. I put mine in open settings and I see a huge visible difference in their color. Your studs are beautiful - both pairs and I would just try to put the jeweler's comments out of my mind and enjoy them for what they are. In the beginning I had an adverse reaction to the color but the more I accepted and loved them for what they are, the more I enjoyed them. You can't beat a killer cut, Phoenix! :love: Expectations are also important because I saw so many amazing J stones here, I thought they were a sweet deal. Everyone says how icy white J stones are and I totally thought I would think so, too. Well, I don't! LOL...I'd rather people know the other side of it, too. J stones certainly are beautiful and white for what they are, but Js will be Js. There's a reason why you're paying J price and not an F price, which as you know is much higher.

I wouldn't waste the money on getting new certs. I would just love the studs you have because they are incredible... so they're not F stones. They're still beautiful, no? You loved them before the jeweler said those things so I would just put the comments out of mind! :love: ETA: I see I missed that these are the super huge sparkly studs! Sorry I didn't read carefully - oh Phoenix, those studs are breathtaking. It would make sense in that size that the jeweler would be able to see the color better. Still, a J isn't an N. Maybe she was just unused to J color in that yummy size. Don't waste money and let doubt creep in over what one single person says! It could have been the lighting, her mood or bad color grading on her part that caused her to say that. It's just one person! Hundreds of PSers will tell you those studs are DIVINE!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't waste another minute on it either.

Pheonix, honey... do you have any idea how many times I've been told that my diamond is a princess (asscher) at jewelry stores? Tell me, if she didn't pick the one thing you are insecure about, would you have even given her words credence? What if she told you they aren't round brilliants (when you know that they are) and that they are OECs? You'd just chuckle right?

Anything below F is YELLOW in Asia. It's black or white. And black is N.

How many times have people on this board gone into 'real' jewelers with stones from online retailers and heard crap?

Please, you are allowing this person too much importance. You really think some random jeweler with an agenda knows better than AGS GIA and an appraiser? Puh-lease.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bliss said:
Hey Phoenix! Love love love your studs! Well, love your everything - all of your jewelry! :love:

Not many jewelers are used to dealing with J colored stones, so that might explain the super off grading estimation! What size studs are these? Are they the 1 carat each studs or the super fantastic huge studs? I don't think AGS (which is one of, if not THE strictest) would grade an N colored stone a J. I do sympathize with you on the J studs, though. I have 2 pairs - one pair has J colored .78 each and they are super white and insane. No complaints. The ones that are a little over a carat each do show warmth to my eye, though. One is I and one is J colored. I am super pleased with them as they are killer cut and very fiery but I know now that I prefer blazing bright white stones and will never buy J again. I think anything over .75 each for me personally shows too much warmth and I love the icy bright white colors because they pop more.

Still, a J can be an unbelievably lovely stone. Are these the ones you recut? They are SPECTACULAR. I would embrace their warmth and be happy that at least a killer cut masks a lot of the color. If you bezeled them, they will show color more. I put mine in open settings and I see a huge visible difference in their color. Your studs are beautiful - both pairs and I would just try to put the jeweler's comments out of my mind and enjoy them for what they are. In the beginning I had an adverse reaction to the color but the more I accepted and loved them for what they are, the more I enjoyed them. You can't beat a killer cut, Phoenix! :love: Expectations are also important because I saw so many amazing J stones here, I thought they were a sweet deal. Everyone says how icy white J stones are and I totally thought I would think so, too. Well, I don't! LOL...I'd rather people know the other side of it, too. J stones certainly are beautiful and white for what they are, but Js will be Js. There's a reason why you're paying J price and not an F price, which as you know is much higher.

I wouldn't waste the money on getting new certs. I would just love the studs you have because they are incredible... so they're not F stones. They're still beautiful, no? You loved them before the jeweler said those things so I would just put the comments out of mind! :love: ETA: I see I missed that these are the super huge sparkly studs! Sorry I didn't read carefully - oh Phoenix, those studs are breathtaking. It would make sense in that size that the jeweler would be able to see the color better. Still, a J isn't an N. Maybe she was just unused to J color in that yummy size. Don't waste money and let doubt creep in over what one single person says! It could have been the lighting, her mood or bad color grading on her part that caused her to say that. It's just one person! Hundreds of PSers will tell you those studs are DIVINE!

Bliss, so great to hear from you! Hi!! :wavey:

Yes, those are the super-ideal cut larger stones and not the recut or bezelled earrings. I do love them very much and think they're super-fantastic. I know it sounds like I'm giving this woman too much credit, but it is upsetting to hear her asking if they were N's!! Having slept on it, I am a bit less upset but... still...I wish I hadn't shown them to her at all!

What I might do though, since GIA is opening a new certing facility (not sure what you actually call it) in Hong Kong whereby you can leave your stones with them for just a couple of days, I may actually go and have them re-graded by GIA. Since I've been meaning to have my 3ct re-graded (which I still haven't done yet, since I didn't want to send my stone all the way across to the US and back), I might as well use this opportunity to have the studs re-graded too. I remember someone else telling me that AGS is softer than GIA and since I don't know that this is actually the case, this might be my chance to find out.

Thanks for your post and lovely reassuring words about my studs. I wish I could stop being such a silly so and so... :tongue:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fly Girl said:
I wouldn't waste another minute thinking about what your local jeweller said. If AGS said they are Js, then they are Js. If you want Fs, then you need to pay for Fs. You chose Js. It's your jeweller's problem if she can't tell Js from Ns, not yours.

I know they're not F's and I don't expect them to look like F's. You have a point though about the jeweller having a problem. Seriously, how can J's be mistaken for N's?!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm trying to find the pics of those studs and i can't ;( Please Phoenix post a picture...or else i'll go nuts 8)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

ditto flygirl and gypsy-to be honest I'm not even sure why you are letting this bother you :confused: There are a number of business and cultural driven motivations behind the jewellers comments, and none of them hold a candle to the reliable documentation you already have on your studs.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

arjunajane said:
ditto flygirl and gypsy-to be honest I'm not even sure why you are letting this bother you :confused: There are a number of business and cultural driven motivations behind the jewellers comments, and none of them hold a candle to the reliable documentation you already have on your studs.

Exactly.

Pheonix, I am a little surprised that you are even taking this seriously at all. You have been around Ps a long time and read many threads like this from newbies, surely you know the answer to your own question? I am sorry if this seems harsh, but unless you are questioning AGS as a lab, or are questioning that your stones match their cert, then I cannot see how there is even any kernal of legitimacy to your concerns.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy said:
I wouldn't waste another minute on it either.

Pheonix, honey... do you have any idea how many times I've been told that my diamond is a princess (asscher) at jewelry stores? Tell me, if she didn't pick the one thing you are insecure about, would you have even given her words credence? What if she told you they aren't round brilliants (when you know that they are) and that they are OECs? You'd just chuckle right?

Anything below F is YELLOW in Asia. It's black or white. And black is N.

How many times have people on this board gone into 'real' jewelers with stones from online retailers and heard crap?

Please, you are allowing this person too much importance. You really think some random jeweler with an agenda knows better than AGS GIA and an appraiser? Puh-lease.

You've made some very valid comments there, Gypsy.

I can't believe that people mistake your stone for a princess! It doesn't have sharp corners, only a princess does!!

You're right also about the Asian obsession with higher-colour diamonds! I know I've been blasted before on PS for making this generalisation and although it is a generalisation (meaning not everyone is fussy abt it), but more people here I know than not would not wear anything below D, E, F!! As I've said before, if money were no object, I'd love to only own those stones, but alas this is not the case, and I *am* a size wh%%^! :twirl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D said:
arjunajane said:

Exactly.

Pheonix, I am a little surprised that you are even taking this seriously at all. You have been around Ps a long time and read many threads like this from newbies, surely you know the answer to your own question? I am sorry if this seems harsh, but unless you are questioning AGS as a lab, or are questioning that your stones match their cert, then I cannot see how there is even any kernal of legitimacy to your concerns.

Of course I am not questioning whether or not the stones match the cert. I've heard before though that AGS is softer than GIA but haven't really paid much attention to it, til now. I do wonder on the other hand if people here are so conditioned to seeing D, E, F stones that they can't tell with accuracy the colour grading of anything below F.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Phoenix said:
What I might do though, since GIA is opening a new certing facility (not sure what you actually call it) in Hong Kong whereby you can leave your stones with them for just a couple of days, I may actually go and have them re-graded by GIA. Since I've been meaning to have my 3ct re-graded (which I still haven't done yet, since I didn't want to send my stone all the way across to the US and back), I might as well use this opportunity to have the studs re-graded too. I remember someone else telling me that AGS is softer than GIA and since I don't know that this is actually the case, this might be my chance to find out.

You will have to unmount the studs for color grading.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix, i just saw your studs and they are truly gorgeous. In fact, they are the most beautiful studs i've ever seen in my life. Now i can't express an opinion on the color, because from my personal experience i have come to the conclusion that pictures rarely capture the true color of diamonds. In the photos that you posted your diamonds definitely look many grades whiter than N color. I understand that you're worried that the AGS grading was softer than it should, but i honestly don't think that they could ever be FOUR grades off...seriously....Which means that your jeweller doesn't know what she's talking about and she just threw an "N" to you, maybe without really knowing how does an N color diamond look in that size.
Honestly, i am very upset because just yesterday i had a somehow similar incident. I passed by a local jeweller who was making a citrine ring for my mother and he was asking about my engagement ring. I proudly told him that it is an E color, VVS2 clarity, triple ex, hearts and arrows diamond, which is certified by GIA and has two laser inscriptions on the girdle, the GIA number and the H&A inscription. To make the long story short he asked if he could check it out and after he observed it for a while, he said that there's no inscription on the girdle and most probably the stone that was sold to me is not the one stated in the GIA cert, or else it was switched at some point (and that was a possibility, because some time ago the jeweller who sold me the ring took it back in order to set it lower). Needless to say that i experienced a panic attack and instead of going to my office i went straight to an appraiser, in order to have my diamond checked and appraised. Now let me tell you that i had really started having doubts about my stone because of the things that he told me and while i was waiting for the appraiser to ask me in, i was trembling and felt like crying (which wasn't very good since i'm pregnant right now and i shouldn't be getting so upset...).The appraiser took a look at my ring and he said that he can definitely see both the number inscription (a part of it was hidden under a prong) and the H&A inscription. He also confirmed the GIA specs and finally, when he gave it back to me he said: "This is a gorgeous stone, you should be very proud of it" :praise:
So that jeweller's ignorance, stupidity - call it as you wish - cost me a lot of time and money, not to mention i almost had a heart attack.....Are you getting my point here?

jgny

Shiny_Rock

Phoenix - those studs are GORGEOUS. And I agree - they look quite white from your pics. Also when you compare against your F there is no way I would call those an N. I don't know what your jeweler's reasons are for making a comment like that, but I know for sure it's a self serving comment. If it makes you feel better get them GIA graded, but remember you will have to unmount them - they only grade loose stones.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Phoenix said:
I do wonder on the other hand if people here are so conditioned to seeing D, E, F stones that they can't tell with accuracy the colour grading of anything below F.

I think that is part of it. Your earrings are not D, E, or F, so she picked a random letter from down the alphabet.

I am thinking of the time I went into my local jeweler, and he thought my new J studs were Gs. Smart man. Needless to say, I keep going back to that jeweler. :bigsmile: I wonder what your jeweler thought she could gain by being insulting? She could have ignored the color of your studs and been complimentary in some other way, such as size. :twirl:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you live in a country where most people think "J" color is "N" color ... can you be happy with "J" studs? I'm not saying that's the fact. (I honestly think the jeweler was trying to exaggerate the "yellow" issue, playing on your insecurities to get you to buy his/her product instead).

Before you go through the trouble & expense of further grading to confirm the grade -- why not go to an independent appraiser ... or, heck, into any other jewelry store. Sure, they may try to hoodwink you too -- but you could start forming a consensus. If it turns out in your country the GENERAL public just see anything that's not "F" as "yellow N" -- then it might legitimately affect what you want to *own*. IF you're worried about what other people think.

I TRULY doubt you paid for more/less than what you received. This is more about perception. (And an opportunistc, less-than-honest/clueful jeweler IMHO.)

ETA: A *fun* idea .... tell your local jeweler you're looking for a pair JUST LIKE YOURS for a gift. Can he bring in some "N"s for you? Then YOU can compare ... and, heck, if you can pick up some just like yours at "N" prices -- DO IT! ;)) :D

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I first saw the title of your post, my first reaction was 'no surprise there, he didn't sell them'. How often has a jeweler made
a comment like that. We hear about it all the time. But then I noticed it was you, Phoenix and you were talking about your giant
gorgeous studs. No way, the guy was either crazy or jealous and wanted you to feel like you should have purchased from him, to
really get the most for you money. Especially since you got the stones from BGD-I just don't think it would happen.

However, I think we should start a list for those of us who want 'N' colored stones that look just like yours! :wavey:
Me first

1. Luv2sparke

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Since when has AGS been known to be soft. I tend to think people who make such comments as your jeweler have some kind of agenda (or just aren't being very nice). I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

natyLad said:
Phoenix, i just saw your studs and they are truly gorgeous. In fact, they are the most beautiful studs i've ever seen in my life. Now i can't express an opinion on the color, because from my personal experience i have come to the conclusion that pictures rarely capture the true color of diamonds. In the photos that you posted your diamonds definitely look many grades whiter than N color. I understand that you're worried that the AGS grading was softer than it should, but i honestly don't think that they could ever be FOUR grades off...seriously....Which means that your jeweller doesn't know what she's talking about and she just threw an "N" to you, maybe without really knowing how does an N color diamond look in that size.
Honestly, i am very upset because just yesterday i had a somehow similar incident. I passed by a local jeweller who was making a citrine ring for my mother and he was asking about my engagement ring. I proudly told him that it is an E color, VVS2 clarity, triple ex, hearts and arrows diamond, which is certified by GIA and has two laser inscriptions on the girdle, the GIA number and the H&A inscription. To make the long story short he asked if he could check it out and after he observed it for a while, he said that there's no inscription on the girdle and most probably the stone that was sold to me is not the one stated in the GIA cert, or else it was switched at some point (and that was a possibility, because some time ago the jeweller who sold me the ring took it back in order to set it lower). Needless to say that i experienced a panic attack and instead of going to my office i went straight to an appraiser, in order to have my diamond checked and appraised. Now let me tell you that i had really started having doubts about my stone because of the things that he told me and while i was waiting for the appraiser to ask me in, i was trembling and felt like crying (which wasn't very good since i'm pregnant right now and i shouldn't be getting so upset...).The appraiser took a look at my ring and he said that he can definitely see both the number inscription (a part of it was hidden under a prong) and the H&A inscription. He also confirmed the GIA specs and finally, when he gave it back to me he said: "This is a gorgeous stone, you should be very proud of it" :praise:
So that jeweller's ignorance, stupidity - call it as you wish - cost me a lot of time and money, not to mention i almost had a heart attack.....Are you getting my point here?

Naty,

Thanks for your kind words about my studs. Actually, I do NOT think that my studs are N colour. How can they be? It was pretty disgusting that my local jeweller could've said something as stupid as this.

Thanks for sharing your own story of your share of stupid local jewellers. I am OUTRAGED and upset for you that your jeweller was so irresponsible. I can imagine how you must have felt. Lucky you had your appraiser check it out and confirmed it for what it actually is. What a relief! :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jgny said:
Phoenix - those studs are GORGEOUS. And I agree - they look quite white from your pics. Also when you compare against your F there is no way I would call those an N. I don't know what your jeweler's reasons are for making a comment like that, but I know for sure it's a self serving comment. If it makes you feel better get them GIA graded, but remember you will have to unmount them - they only grade loose stones.

Thank you, Jgny. Yes, I agree that there's no way they're N's, especially after I've now had two days to think about this (not that I ever seriously believed this woman anyway). No way in h^ll!

There's a teeny tiny remote possibility that they might be K's. I don't think so but there's a nagging doubt at the back of my mind now. I realise that they would have to be unmounted. but I might do it just to put my mind at rest.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

decodelighted said:
If you live in a country where most people think "J" color is "N" color ... can you be happy with "J" studs? I'm not saying that's the fact. (I honestly think the jeweler was trying to exaggerate the "yellow" issue, playing on your insecurities to get you to buy his/her product instead).

Before you go through the trouble & expense of further grading to confirm the grade -- why not go to an independent appraiser ... or, heck, into any other jewelry store. Sure, they may try to hoodwink you too -- but you could start forming a consensus. If it turns out in your country the GENERAL public just see anything that's not "F" as "yellow N" -- then it might legitimately affect what you want to *own*. IF you're worried about what other people think.

I TRULY doubt you paid for more/less than what you received. This is more about perception. (And an opportunistc, less-than-honest/clueful jeweler IMHO.)

ETA: A *fun* idea .... tell your local jeweler you're looking for a pair JUST LIKE YOURS for a gift. Can he bring in some "N"s for you? Then YOU can compare ... and, heck, if you can pick up some just like yours at "N" prices -- DO IT! ;)) :D

Hmmm...I was quite happy with my J studs. I mean of course I wanted whiter ones. But within the budget constraint, I had the size I wanted and a super-ideal cut, that was plenty enough for me...until this stupid person started putting doubts in my mind. I would be more than happy if they could just be confirmed as J's (but not K's - it wouldn't just be the money difference then, but also a perception of a colour difference, at least in my own mind).

I think I will go to a local IA (but not sure how that'd go as they may not be used to appraising so-called "lower" colour diamonds). I might buy a master set (if it's not too expensive) and I may actually send them to GIA, again just to put my mind at rest.

Even if they did turn out to be K's, I'm not sure I'be able to do anything or *wanted* to do anything about them. I mean my relationship with Brian and Lesley is FANTASTC. I'm 100% SURE they didn't set out to deceive me. So nothing would be achieved by creating trouble. Buuuuuutttt, if the studs did get appraised as K's (or borderline J-K) and GIA also came back with a K-rating, then I might upgrade them to smaller but higher colour studs instead. It's a mind thing, ya' know.

(PS. I LOVE your suggestion of asking the local jeweller to bring in some N's for me. Let's see what she says. She may say that they don't sell N's but it's worth a try, he he!! :devil: :naughty: )

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Phoenix, not only have I had jewelers tell me it's a princess, I've had jewelers ARGUE with me that it's a princess and that someone was pulling my leg that there is NO SUCH THING AS A SQUARE EMERALD CUT. I swear, the ignorance level at some jewelers is astonishing. I've just stopped going to ones that tick me off. There is a Baron's in the mall here that carries a couple of lines I like looking at, but GAWD when I went to try on studs for size the sheer ignorance of the sales person made me want to bang my head against a wall. It was not malicious at all, the woman just could not BUY a clue, but I only go in there when I see a different sales associate now, or not at all.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Phoenix said:
Hmmm...I was quite happy with my J studs. I mean of course I wanted whiter ones. But within the budget constraint, I had the size I wanted and a super-ideal cut, that was plenty enough for me...until this stupid person started putting doubts in my mind.

OT, but YOU HAVE A BUDGET CONSTRAINT???

j/k. :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results