shape
carat
color
clarity

My knowledge on Appliances, if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mobius! I''ll try the recommendations and see what happens.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your favorite french door fridge? It's on our wish list.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Anything SAMSUNG.
They have 2 models WITHOUT external dispensers and 5 models WITH external dispensers.
Just a matter of what features you would like.
Message back if you want further information on feature differences to help you decide.

I have a SAMSUNG single door bottom freezer and I love it. Dual evaporators are the way to go, and so quiet.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 8:45:44 PM
Author: mobius8
Anything SAMSUNG.

They have 2 models WITHOUT external dispensers and 5 models WITH external dispensers.

Message back if you want further information on feature differences to help you decide.

I have a SAMSUNG single door bottom freezer and I love it. Dual evaporators are the way to go, and so quiet.

Do they have the stainless panel on the side? DH really likes that. Also he likes counter depth and I am skeptical on their size.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
All the appliances in my home are 15+ years so have been saving money to replace them all with stainless. looking for good quality, but not super high end. All the sales people insist that we should get all the same brand so match perfectly... but there seems to be no one company that has great appliances in every category.

If we go with a samsung fridge, what do you think is the most reliable dishwasher?

We care most about the look of the gas range... we want a top the is sturdy like a pro range, but without the price. We were told go with GE profile or kitchen aide architect? Thoughts?

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 9:24:37 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Date: 9/21/2008 8:45:44 PM

Anything SAMSUNG.

Do they have the stainless panel on the side? DH really likes that. Also he likes counter depth and I am skeptical on their size.
Nope, just gray color on sides. Not stainless or a stainless look.
They currently don''t make French door counter depth.
Maytag does, so does Kitchen-Aid, and GE, possibly LG too.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
did I miss the dishwasher and stove top picks?

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 10:13:24 PM
Author: Green with Envy
All the appliances in my home are 15+ years so have been saving money to replace them all with stainless. looking for good quality, but not super high end. All the sales people insist that we should get all the same brand so match perfectly... but there seems to be no one company that has great appliances in every category.

If we go with a samsung fridge, what do you think is the most reliable dishwasher?

We care most about the look of the gas range... we want a top the is sturdy like a pro range, but without the price. We were told go with GE profile or kitchen aide architect? Thoughts?

Most reliable dishwasher, according to consumer reports is Whirlpool.
I would, and did, choose a Bosch dishwasher. Very happy. Interior is slightly smaller than some competitors.

I think Frigidaire makes a dang nice looking range that works well and is reasonable in cost. Particularly their slide-in models.
My sister has the Kitchen-Aid architect II slide in dual fuel and it''s pretty awesome.
GE profile is also top notch. Can''t go wrong with any of them I think.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 2:33:16 AM
Date: 9/16/2008 1:49:55 AM

Author: angeline

Yay Mob! My dh is stoked that there is an impartial expert to advise us, thank you!

We are buying a house and need to get a refrigerator, washer and drier. The current oven is Jenn-air stainless and a stainless dishwasher.

I read that you recommend Samsung fridges, what brands do you recommend for washers and driers? Is that too general a question?

This thread is so timely for so many people!

Okay, first....the scoop on Jenn-Air was part of Carrier until Maytag bought them around 1982. Then around 2000 Maytag also purchased Amana. Then around 2 years ago Whirlpool bought Maytag and everything they owned.

The reason that I mention this is that currently the most popular style of refrigerator is French Door, so I am going to make the assumption until you tell me otherwise that French Door is what you are interested in.

All of these French Door units....Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool, Jenn-Air, Kitchen-Aid, some Kenmore are all coming out of the old Amana factory here in good old USA. That''s why Whirlpool purchased Maytag, to get that factory.

So, if you decided to get a matching Jenn-Air fridge now you will have a slightly better idea what you are getting.

As far as washers and dryers. I would recommend a high efficiency machine.

If you prefer the top-load design go with the WHIRLPOOL CABRIO, MAYTAG BRAVOS, KENMORE OASIS (same machine)

If you prefer the front-load design go with the MAYTAG EPIC, WHIRLPOOL DUET, SAMSUNG, or pretty much anything you want. There aren''t really many bad front loaders. But the ones that I listed are my top recommendations.

If you wan to get more in depth with features to select the best model just let me know.

Thanks Mobius, I just caught this. I have no idea what a french door fridge is I''ll go google it.

Did you ever think you could start a small business advising people on this stuff?
1.gif

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 1:31:29 AM
Author: angeline
Thanks Mobius, I just caught this. I have no idea what a french door fridge is I''ll go google it.

Did you ever think you could start a small business advising people on this stuff?
1.gif
No, but I did have a random idea the other day to open a pre-owned car lot in town that sells only 30mpg+ vehicles.
Don''t steal my idea
2.gif

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! Unbias help is sooooo appreciated!

Should we worry about where our GE range is made? Like the issues with the different GE fridges?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you could go with samsung and not a counter depth fridge? My DH said I could chose but that he did like that built in look.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should just make a list of your favorite appliances for everything (dishwasher, range, etc...)
2.gif
Like your top ten list. Thanks again for your help!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Mobius~we need to replace our washer and dryer. I had no idea that the front loaders could have a problem with mold! There is only my husband and myself and we use the machines a few times per week. We looked at a H.E. top loading model and the salesman at Lowe's said they were a problem. He said that because they had no agitator, the clothing had to be placed carefully as to not cover the bottom of the machine where the water came up. This did seem to be a problem. Is it? I would prefer a H.E. toploader and I don't need a high capacity unit. What do you recommend--and do you think that front loaders are still a better choice? I don't want to spend a lot of time maintaining its mold free condition
14.gif

Thanks!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
I have an HE toploader...Maytag Netune TL (they don''t make them anymore) they have the newer models now...no problem with clothes

In fact I washed sheer drapes (multiple times in a row...they were reallly dusty...although once might have been fine) on regular cycle with NO problem...then I had to wash the last set in a regular top loader...and they came out shredded...and tied in knots go figure...on of the comments on the TL''s is that they ''twist'' stuff...which they do...but not to such a bad dergree

I love HE toploaders...and we were all set to get new ones...(but putting in a gas line was much much cheaper) and I was leaning towards the GE harmony...everything I read (on the ''laundry room'' on the garden web forum) and else indicated that they were the least problematic...I still want them
18.gif

We do have a teeny tiny bit of mold problem but it is not as bad now that our water is better not as soft...and easy to clean...not the level of the Front loaders

I was also looking at the Maytag new ones but I don''t like the lint trap on it...personal preference...

also in my HE TL the water comes out the top...through the detergent dispenser...

I don''t know what model you were looking at ...but I suspect that they might have been misinformed

Mobius will have more model specific info

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
I have the new Kitchen Aid 72" counter depth fridge...it is awesome...

I had been looking and some I looked at were way too shallow...you couldn''t put a 12-pack sleeve of sode in

But then my local Lowes had one in...plenty deep enough...and I was able to measure it...

The measurement on fridges are sometimes difficult to figure out...

I love it....the base of the fridge...is just where my counter ends...teh doors are out a bit more...not too bad

I gives the built in look especially in the 72" height....

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Model Number kFCS22EVbl

usappliance_2017_370405936.jpg

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 10:39:07 AM
Author: Green with Envy
Thanks for the suggestions! Unbias help is sooooo appreciated!

Should we worry about where our GE range is made? Like the issues with the different GE fridges?

I wouldn''t worry with it. Don''t hear many complaints with ranges. Computer boards sometimes fail. When they do they are expensive. You could consider an extended warranty if this concerns you.
That is not something specific to GE though.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 11:05:20 AM
So you could go with samsung and not a counter depth fridge? My DH said I could chose but that he did like that built in look.

Yep, if you go Samsung that currently means no counter depth.
But don''t hesitate to go counter depth. Plenty of good choices out there.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 7:09:15 PM
Author: risingsun
Mobius~we need to replace our washer and dryer. I had no idea that the front loaders could have a problem with mold! There is only my husband and myself and we use the machines a few times per week. We looked at a H.E. top loading model and the salesman at Lowe''s said they were a problem. He said that because they had no agitator, the clothing had to be placed carefully as to not cover the bottom of the machine where the water came up. This did seem to be a problem. Is it? I would prefer a H.E. toploader and I don''t need a high capacity unit. What do you recommend--and do you think that front loaders are still a better choice? I don''t want to spend a lot of time maintaining its mold free condition
14.gif

Thanks!

All washers can have mold, you just usually can''t see it.
For folks concerned with mold I think the H.E. top load is the way to go.
I have not heard these complaints with clothes placement in the H.E. top load machines.

If you are concerned with that aspect, consider a Fisher Paykel top load with agitator.
Won''t clean quite as well or be quite as gentle but VERY efficient.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 8:43:46 PM
Author: diane5006
Model Number kFCS22EVbl
Niiiice!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 10:11:57 PM

Mobius~we need to replace our washer and dryer. I had no idea that the front loaders could have a problem with mold! There is only my husband and myself and we use the machines a few times per week. We looked at a H.E. top loading model and the salesman at Lowe's said they were a problem. He said that because they had no agitator, the clothing had to be placed carefully as to not cover the bottom of the machine where the water came up. This did seem to be a problem. Is it? I would prefer a H.E. toploader and I don't need a high capacity unit. What do you recommend--and do you think that front loaders are still a better choice? I don't want to spend a lot of time maintaining its mold free condition
14.gif

Thanks!

All washers can have mold, you just usually can't see it.
I have not heard these complaints with clothes placement in the H.E. top load machines.

If you are concerned with that aspect, consider a Fisher Paykel top load with agitator.
Won't clean quite as well or be quite as gentle but VERY efficient.
we recently bought the cabrio by whirlpool. whatcha think?

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 10:54:26 PM
Author: crown1
Date: 9/22/2008 10:11:57 PM

Mobius~we need to replace our washer and dryer. I had no idea that the front loaders could have a problem with mold! There is only my husband and myself and we use the machines a few times per week. We looked at a H.E. top loading model and the salesman at Lowe''s said they were a problem. He said that because they had no agitator, the clothing had to be placed carefully as to not cover the bottom of the machine where the water came up. This did seem to be a problem. Is it? I would prefer a H.E. toploader and I don''t need a high capacity unit. What do you recommend--and do you think that front loaders are still a better choice? I don''t want to spend a lot of time maintaining its mold free condition
14.gif

Thanks!

All washers can have mold, you just usually can''t see it.

Won''t clean quite as well or be quite as gentle but VERY efficient.

we recently bought the cabrio by whirlpool. whatcha think?

Great choice.
How do YOU like it?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
For the front load mold problem... I read about that and just got the duet. love it and not one single weird order because we keep the door a bit open to let it fully dry after each use. Moldy smells seem to only be a problem if you let wet clothes stay in the machine for awhile after they are washed, or if you close door right after removing wet clothes. I love that we can do a ton of sheets and towels in just one load!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback on toploading washers
1.gif
I think they would be a good choice for us and I''ll let you know what models we are considering.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
(bump)

I''m still here if you need me.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about SS microwaves (that go over the range). Are they all pretty much the same?

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 3:12:18 PM
What about SS microwaves (that go over the range). Are they all pretty much the same?
Here''s some of the variables with microwaves......

Capacity - Measured in cubic feet. Higher number is obviously larger capacity. Some models have 1 or 2 racks inside that allow you to placed multiple plates in at the same time.
Generally ranges between 1.5 and 2.0

Power - Measured in watts. Higher wattage cooks faster.
Generally ranges between 900 and 1200

CFM - How much power does the vent fan have? How well will it exhaust steam, smoke, and odors? Higher number is better. If your vent fan is recirculating the air back in to the room through a filter vs. exhausting it out of the home this is not super important (in my opinion).
Generally ranges between 160 and 400

Turntable - A pretty standard feature. Spins the food around to try and evenly heat foods. Some models now have a tray that goes side to side instead of spinning. There are some that have neither and distribute the microwave energy from more than one point in the oven so that moving the food is not needed.

Dual distribution - Generally the models that have no turntable. Sometimes they will have dual distribution AND a turntable. Shoots the microwaves out from multiple points to provide more even heating.
Usually higher end models only will have this. $400+

Sensor - Some have it, some don''t. It''s a humidity sensor in the oven that coupled with the microwaves pre-programmed cooking modes (like popcorn) will detect when foods are getting done and will adjust their cooking cycle automatically to reduce overheating.
Usually adds about $50 to $100 to the cost vs. a non-sensor model.

Convection - Some models add in a heating element and a fan. Takes heat similar to your oven and circulates it with a fan allowing you to COOK and BAKE vs. simply reheating with microwave energy.
$600+

Speedcook/Advantium - Kinda similar to convection, but instead of using a traditional heating element it uses light energy from halogen or similar bulbs to produce the heat and browning effects. You can also COOK and BAKE in these units.
$600+

Inverter - Not a very common feature, but pretty nifty. If you are doing things like defrosting, softening butter for cooking, or pretty much any task that uses a reduced power level what this feature does is keeps the heat on constantly at a reduced level like a dimmer switch vs. switching full power on and off throughout the cooking cycle like a light switch. Delivers much better heating performance.
I can only think of one model off the top of my head that offers this. I''m sure I can find others.
$400

Tell me your budget, or which of these features are important to you and I will make some recommendations.
Hope this helps.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ummm...wow! Well, I already have a double oven so I do not need this to act as another oven. I think just a basic (no extra shelves). The one we have now I like. The shelf rotates in circles. Not sure if there are sensors. Honestly, nothing too fancy is needed. I guess I am old school! Haha. I know we want all s/s (no black handles). We currently have a GE spacemaker.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 4:05:14 PM
ummm...wow! Well, I already have a double oven so I do not need this to act as another oven. I think just a basic (no extra shelves). The one we have now I like. The shelf rotates in circles. Not sure if there are sensors. Honestly, nothing too fancy is needed. I guess I am old school! Haha. I know we want all s/s (no black handles). We currently have a GE spacemaker.
Some recommendations to consider.

$300 Sensor - 1.8 cu. ft. - 1100 watts - 400cfm
SMH7187STG

$400 Sensor & Inverter - 1.8 cu. ft. - 1100 watts - 175cfm
GH5184XPS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results