shape
carat
color
clarity

My knowledge on Appliances, if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 2:03:15 AM
Author: asscherisme
Oooh, I have a question! I have a sears brand front loading washing machine. It cost a boatload and was top of the line (in 2005) when I bought it. It has major mold prolbems. For some reason, it gets mold stored in the front rubber area, in the soap area, and areas I can''t see. I need to run empty bleach cycles on sanitary AND spray the whole thing with tilex ever week (I do tilex first, then bleach cycle, then an emty cycle, both on sanitary). If I don''t do those things, my whole first floor smells like mold and my clothes and kids smell like mold and mildew and awful horrid smell. I have the repair guy from sears out many times and he finally confessed its a flaw in the machine and he can''t help me with it
7.gif

So....I am selling my house next year and in my new home I am very wary of buying front loader again. But with a lot of kids, front loader fits more clothes. Is the mold issue common in front loaders? My firend has the same issue with hers. I am thinking next time to just go top loader.

Are front loaders really worth the hype? I despise the mold issue, it so grosses me out and it takes a lot of work to keep it so the mold stays out of the machine.

When I sell my house, I am going to have to run a bleach cycle every other night to keep the mold smell out
7.gif
YUCK!

I have a Whirlpool brand front load machine that I have had for 4-5 years that would be essentially the same as your Kenmore made by Whirlpool (assuming yours is the larger model, if it''s the smaller one it was made by Frigidaire), anyway....
YES, the mold/mildew issue is common in front load machines of any brand, and actually all washing machines, the key is that with a top load washer gravity pulls everything to the bottom and the outer wash tub, so there is still mold/mildew there, you just don''t see it. That being said there is generally much more of it in a front load machine because it is basically air-tight with the exception of a small vent in the back.
When you take your wash out to put in the dryer and you close the door you are creating a dark, moist, and warm environment which is ideal for mold and mildew growth. I suppose I wouldn''t call it a design flaw but perhaps the cost of efficiency : - )

So, here''s what you can do with your current machine:
~Purchase cleaning tabs called AFFRESH. They are made by Whirlpool and are available a lot of places now. They are designed to help clean the washer.
~Run empty wash cycles with bleach.
~Use a bleach based cleaner to wipe out the door gasket.
~Purchase a product called CONCROBIUM MOLD CONTROL and clean the washer and run through an empty wash load.
Try some or all of the above steps to help remove as much of the current mold/mildew as you can.
Then in all future wash loads after removing the clothes from the washer:
~Leave your washer door open, at least for a while
~Leave your detergent dispenser tray pulled out, again at least for a while
These steps will help more air circulate through the machine and make a slightly less hospitable environment for mold/mildew.
Lastly, make sure that you:
~Use only H.E. detergents
~Use less than you think you need of everything. Detergent and softener. Less is more. Less residue.

And when you go shopping for your next machine if you have determined that the Front Load machines are just more hassle than they are worth to you, consider a High Efficiency Top Load Washer, such as the Whirlpool Cabrio, Maytag Bravos, or Kenmore Oasis. These will give similar benefits to a Front Load machine but with a more traditional Top Load design.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mobius:"Are you going with all gas or dual-fuel (gas cooktop/electric oven)?
What kind of budget do you have in mind? "

This is the first time we have has cooktop and I like it a lot.Having never experienced gas oven I am not sure if it works as well as cooktop then I would like it.Definitely prefer gas cooktop now.
As for a budget I have no idea what a decent one costs these days.
Ours is Jenn Air and I like it.Would not like to downgrade that''s for sure.
We do lots of cooking here( more than average home) so it has to be a decent one.
Thanks so much for helping us out.How nice of you.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 4:43:16 PM
Author: mobius8

Date: 9/8/2008 4:16:47 PM
Author: :)
Mob, what a sweet offer from you! Perhaps I shall refrain from throwing things at you in the future!
37.gif

Would you recommend what, in your opinion, is the best stainless steel cleaner? TIA!
I have not tried a plethora of different brands. I have always been happy enough with STAINLESS STEEL MAGIC, but I''m sure there are plenty just as good out there.
Thanks Mob! I will give it a try! :)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mobius! It''s so nice of you to offer your expertise in this thread, thank you! I have a question, too :) DH and I are planning on moving into a house that doesn''t have appliances so we''ll buying a fridge and a range for the first time. The house has a dishwasher that is black and stainless (or stainless look? I really can''t tell the difference - only from the price tag!), so we want to stick with the color scheme, and the kitchen has a gas hookup for the range. We have budgeted $1000 total.

What are the best entry models/brands? What should we be looking for to get us the best bang for our buck?

I''m really not a fan of the gas range (I love, love, love the cooktop stove in the house we rent). They don''t make gas cooktops, do they?

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 11:43:18 AM
Author: scarleta
Thanks Mobius:''Are you going with all gas or dual-fuel (gas cooktop/electric oven)?

What kind of budget do you have in mind? ''

This is the first time we have has cooktop and I like it a lot.Having never experienced gas oven I am not sure if it works as well as cooktop then I would like it.Definitely prefer gas cooktop now.

As for a budget I have no idea what a decent one costs these days.

Ours is Jenn Air and I like it.Would not like to downgrade that''s for sure.

We do lots of cooking here( more than average home) so it has to be a decent one.

Thanks so much for helping us out.How nice of you.

Okay, I suppose I am a bit confused here. You currently have a dual-fuel Jenn-Air????
Is it a downdraft??? (does it have a vent fan built in to it???
It it all one appliance (RANGE), or does the cooktop sit separately from the oven (cooktop & wall oven)???

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 3:56:59 PM
Author: Elmorton
Hi Mobius! It''s so nice of you to offer your expertise in this thread, thank you! I have a question, too :) DH and I are planning on moving into a house that doesn''t have appliances so we''ll buying a fridge and a range for the first time. The house has a dishwasher that is black and stainless (or stainless look? I really can''t tell the difference - only from the price tag!), so we want to stick with the color scheme, and the kitchen has a gas hookup for the range. We have budgeted $1000 total.

What are the best entry models/brands? What should we be looking for to get us the best bang for our buck?

I''m really not a fan of the gas range (I love, love, love the cooktop stove in the house we rent). They don''t make gas cooktops, do they?
If you would like to have the other appliances match the dishwasher, try to obtain the model number of the dishwasher and I can better advise.
Other than that your budget of $1000 is VERY tight if you want stainless or stainless look.
I might suggest Range: FGF337GC & Fridge: FRT18S6JS. But that will still put you at approx $1150 before possible discounts and it''s a medium size fridge. Now this is assuming REAL STAINLESS, but we kinda need to know what the dishwasher is to move forward, if matching is important.

In regards to your last question, if you are asking if a gas cooktop can be purchased as a separate appliance and then have the oven built in a different location. YES, of course. This is a very common appliance.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I looked at my brochure, yes its the big one made by whirlpool. I do most of those things already including leaving it open, etc. But I''ll try the rest. I figured it was a design flaw and it should like I was partially correct.

One more question, which lasts more years, front loader or top loader? And what is the average lifespan of a washing machine? My last top loader lasted 6 years and then died but I use it way more than the average person. And which cleans clothes better?

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 12:56:16 AM
Author: asscherisme
Thanks. I looked at my brochure, yes its the big one made by whirlpool. I do most of those things already including leaving it open, etc. But I''ll try the rest. I figured it was a design flaw and it should like I was partially correct.

One more question, which lasts more years, front loader or top loader? And what is the average lifespan of a washing machine? My last top loader lasted 6 years and then died but I use it way more than the average person. And which cleans clothes better?

As far as the lifespan, generally 8-12 years.
Should not be a significant difference between the lifespan of front load vs top load.
Agitator based top loads clean the least effectively, non agitator top loads and front loads clean better.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thanks mobius. We're really not worried about a perfect match, we just don't want to have a stainless-look dishwasher, a black stove, and a white fridge or something :)

Here's the two we've been looking at:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=293513-2251-FRT18L4JM&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24719-2251-FGF328GM&lpage=none

Thoughts?

ETA: Sweet! I think the stove model # you gave me is the same as either the link or another one we liked...yay! We've mostly been looking at Frigidaire products :)

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mobius:
Okay, I suppose I am a bit confused here. You currently have a dual-fuel Jenn-Air????
It it all one appliance (RANGE), or does the cooktop sit separately from the oven (cooktop & wall oven)???

Posted: 9/10/2008 10:42:51 PM

Sorry to confuse you.So I looked again and here is what I have:

Jenn-Air Oven electric.
Thermador Gas top ( cooktop that sits on top separately from oven
Fan is above and I have to turn it on so it not built into it.
So I guess I have 3 pieces if we count the fan as well.
I had to double check to give you proper information.
Thanks again.Hope its more clear now.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I just saw this post. Although I don''t need any advice now, because we are renting. I really think that''s very nice of you, mobius.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice, Mob! xoxox!
1.gif

I have another question... indirectly related to appliances! How important is it to have a vent (fan) above a new gas range? In my upcoming kitchen remodel, we may likely have to position the range where there is virtually no way to vent it. (I currently have a GE Spacemaker microwave above my range, and it has the noisy little [near useless!] charcoal venting system, that I barely use.)

In the new location (a peninsula bar between the kitchen and the dining room), there won''t be any cabinets above the range, so I won''t even be able to use the microwave as a *vent* any more. I was hoping to avoid the hassle (and expense) of trying to install some kind of a down-draft range.

My husband thinks that unless I blacken catfish on a day when we can''t open any windows
2.gif
we''ll be fine without any venting. Just wondering your thoughts on that?

THANKS!

Lynn

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 1:36:34 PM
Author: Elmorton
Thanks mobius. We''re really not worried about a perfect match, we just don''t want to have a stainless-look dishwasher, a black stove, and a white fridge or something :)

Here''s the two we''ve been looking at:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=293513-2251-FRT18L4JM&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24719-2251-FGF328GM&lpage=none

Thoughts?

ETA: Sweet! I think the stove model # you gave me is the same as either the link or another one we liked...yay! We''ve mostly been looking at Frigidaire products :)

Those will match fine as long as they look okay with your dishwasher.
If you happen to need an icemaker for your fridge there is not one factory installed on that model but you can purchase one for aprox $50 and get a mail-in rebate for the cost of the icemaker = free!

The range is manual clean. That''s about all you will find in that price range, just wanted to make sure you are aware.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 6:33:03 PM
Author: Lynn B
Thanks for the advice, Mob! xoxox!
1.gif

I have another question... indirectly related to appliances! How important is it to have a vent (fan) above a new gas range? In my upcoming kitchen remodel, we may likely have to position the range where there is virtually no way to vent it. (I currently have a GE Spacemaker microwave above my range, and it has the noisy little [near useless!] charcoal venting system, that I barely use.)

In the new location (a peninsula bar between the kitchen and the dining room), there won''t be any cabinets above the range, so I won''t even be able to use the microwave as a *vent* any more. I was hoping to avoid the hassle (and expense) of trying to install some kind of a down-draft range.

My husband thinks that unless I blacken catfish on a day when we can''t open any windows
2.gif
we''ll be fine without any venting. Just wondering your thoughts on that?

THANKS!

Lynn

In some areas your building code would require you to have one. In a remodel situation I have no idea what the legalities are. I would HIGHLY recommend some sort of hood/vent system if you can adjust your design to accommodate.
Basically look at the bottom of your current spacemaker micro/hood. Run your finger across it or a clean paper towel. If you pick up grime off of there (which you probably will) then that is what will end up on your....ceiling up above if you have no vent or hood system.
So, check the code and make sure you have the OPTION to do whatever you want, then just play devils advocate with all your alternatives.

Let me know if I can help further.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 5:32:19 PM
Author: scarleta
Thanks Mobius:

Posted: 9/10/2008 10:42:51 PM

Sorry to confuse you.So I looked again and here is what I have:

Jenn-Air Oven electric.

You''ve got some fairly high-end stuff there. You may wan to CONSIDER repair if the oven is not too old.
If you do want to replace I am not crazy about the current Jenn-Air product line for ovens. I think you can get a lot more for less or similar price ranges in a KITCHEN-AID, ELECTROLUX, GE PROFILE, or heck even FRIGIDAIRE.

If you decide to replace I will gladly help further.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Yay Mob! My dh is stoked that there is an impartial expert to advise us, thank you!

We are buying a house and need to get a refrigerator, washer and drier. The current oven is Jenn-air stainless and a stainless dishwasher.

I read that you recommend Samsung fridges, what brands do you recommend for washers and driers? Is that too general a question?

This thread is so timely for so many people!

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 1:49:55 AM
Author: angeline
Yay Mob! My dh is stoked that there is an impartial expert to advise us, thank you!

We are buying a house and need to get a refrigerator, washer and drier. The current oven is Jenn-air stainless and a stainless dishwasher.

I read that you recommend Samsung fridges, what brands do you recommend for washers and driers? Is that too general a question?

This thread is so timely for so many people!

Okay, first....the scoop on Jenn-Air was part of Carrier until Maytag bought them around 1982. Then around 2000 Maytag also purchased Amana. Then around 2 years ago Whirlpool bought Maytag and everything they owned.
The reason that I mention this is that currently the most popular style of refrigerator is French Door, so I am going to make the assumption until you tell me otherwise that French Door is what you are interested in.
All of these French Door units....Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool, Jenn-Air, Kitchen-Aid, some Kenmore are all coming out of the old Amana factory here in good old USA. That''s why Whirlpool purchased Maytag, to get that factory.
So, if you decided to get a matching Jenn-Air fridge now you will have a slightly better idea what you are getting.

As far as washers and dryers. I would recommend a high efficiency machine.
If you prefer the top-load design go with the WHIRLPOOL CABRIO, MAYTAG BRAVOS, KENMORE OASIS (same machine)
If you prefer the front-load design go with the MAYTAG EPIC, WHIRLPOOL DUET, SAMSUNG, or pretty much anything you want. There aren''t really many bad front loaders. But the ones that I listed are my top recommendations.
If you wan to get more in depth with features to select the best model just let me know.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mobius:that is good news you gave me:

"Sorry to confuse you.So I looked again and here is what I have:

Jenn-Air Oven electric.

You''ve got some fairly high-end stuff there. You may wan to CONSIDER repair if the oven is not too old.
If you do want to replace I am not crazy about the current Jenn-Air product line for ovens. I think you can get a lot more for less or similar price ranges in a KITCHEN-AID, ELECTROLUX, GE PROFILE, or heck even FRIGIDAIRE.

If you decide to replace I will gladly help further.
The only thing that does not work properly is the oven thermostat its a bit off so I have to put another oven thermometer to monitor the temperature.I am not sure if this could be repaired? The way I am doing it works fine so maybe I will continue with just putting another thermometer as I bake mostly I need to know the temperature.
Thanks Mobius you have been very helpful and I wish you the best in whatever you do.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Mobius, do you guys sell Wolf?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I have a question and am sort of embarrassed to post this.
emembarrassed.gif
Well, we are pretty good at keeping our oven clean but I have no clue where I put the owners manual for our range?? I am wondering how I can use the clean function in my oven on how to clean it?? Not sure if you can help , but this is what I own http://www.jennair.com/catalog/product.jsp?parentCat=2&cat=69&prod=1634 Thank you for your help.
12.gif

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 10:28:12 AM
Author: elmo
Mobius, do you guys sell Wolf?
Never dealt with it.
I have some friends that sell it so I may be able to find an answer if you have a question.
It''s owned by SubZero. It has red knobs and costs a lot. That''s about all I have :)

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 10:45:36 AM
Author: Skippy123
Okay, I have a question and am sort of embarrassed to post this.
emembarrassed.gif
Well, we are pretty good at keeping our oven clean but I have no clue where I put the owners manual for our range?? I am wondering how I can use the clean function in my oven on how to clean it?? Not sure if you can help , but this is what I own http://www.jennair.com/catalog/product.jsp?parentCat=2&cat=69&prod=1634 Thank you for your help.
12.gif

First off, that's an awesome range. Congrats!
I hope you like it.
Second, I don't believe that model has enamel oven racks so they need to be removed.
If your oven racks are shiny, remove them and clean them by hand.
If your oven racks are black enamel you can leave them in for the self clean feature.
Once you have done that, just close the door and hold down the self clean or auto clean button. That should do it.
It's gonna lock the door, heat the oven up very hot and last around 3 hours.
Once the self-clean cycle is complete the door will unlock and you will have burnt flakes in the oven to brush out.

That being said, I have a self clean range and I am personally afraid of that feature and I choose to clean my oven by hand with easy off.
The choice is yours.

Hope that helps!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 7:32:23 PM
Author: mobius8

First off, that's an awesome range. Congrats!
I hope you like it.
Second, I don't believe that model has enamel oven racks so they need to be removed.
If your oven racks are shiny, remove them and clean them by hand.
If your oven racks are black enamel you can leave them in for the self clean feature.
Once you have done that, just close the door and hold down the self clean or auto clean button. That should do it.
It's gonna lock the door, heat the oven up very hot and last around 3 hours.
Once the self-clean cycle is complete the door will unlock and you will have burnt flakes in the oven to brush out.

That being said, I have a self clean range and I am personally afraid of that feature and I choose to clean my oven by hand with easy off.
The choice is yours.

Hope that helps!
Mobius, you are correct on the racks, thank you! Oh no, about being afraid of the feature because I am afraid too and I hate easy off. Why are you afraid of the feature?? Thank you for your help; I really appreciate it and you rock!!! I do love this range, it rocks; it is great for lots of baking!!!
9.gif

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 7:37:17 PM
Author: Skippy123
Mobius, you are correct on the racks, thank you! Oh no, about being afraid of the feature because I am afraid too and I hate easy off. Why are you afraid of the feature?? Thank you for your help; I really appreciate it and you rock!!! I do love this range, it rocks; it is great for lots of baking!!!
9.gif

I personally don''t like self-clean because I don''t like the idea of anything in my house being 700-800 degrees.
It will produce heat into the room, which in summer you are going to have to pay your a/c to cool back down.
I have heard (very rare) stories of people using the self-clean feature and having a problem with the appliance during the clean cycle, or shortly thereafter.

But that''s just me, I''m weird and paranoid so don''t let me influence your decision.
I don''t cook a lot so I don''t get my oven very dirty. So it''s not that often I need to clean it. And when I do I don''t mind the good old fashioned way.

Good luck.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for offering your services Mobius!

My boyfriend and I need to purchase a new washing machine. For some reason the current one actually shocks you after its done with the cycle. It doesn''t seem to turn off all the way unless you select the extra rinse option and then you manage not to get shocked when you touch it. Its missing the knob and something is wonky... anyways. We definitely need something new.

We definitely want an Energy Star/high efficiency machine and most likely a top loader. We aren''t looking to spend too much and I''ve noticed that your previous recommendations for top loaders are a few hundred dollars more than the cheapest energy star rated machines at Lowes and Home Depot.

These are the machines we are looking at:

Home Depot #1- GE Super Capacity 3.2 cu. ft.

Home Depot #2- GE King Capacity 3.5 cu. ft.

Do you think that its worth spending the extra money on a Maytag Bravo? What about the King Capacity over the Super?

Also, can you make some recommendations on dishwashers? We probably wouldn''t want to spend a whole lot on this either. I see that Home Depot has some models that are Energy Star rated for $200. Our current machine is so old and decrepit that it has a plywood screwed into the front and painted white because the original door panel is no longer there. We can''t even wash our cutlery in there because food just doesn''t get removed!

Thanks for your help. It is SO very appreciated. This is very generous of you.

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/20/2008 12:03:38 AM
Author: Clairitek
Thanks for offering your services Mobius!

My boyfriend and I need to purchase a new washing machine. For some reason the current one actually shocks you after its done with the cycle. It doesn't seem to turn off all the way unless you select the extra rinse option and then you manage not to get shocked when you touch it. Its missing the knob and something is wonky... anyways. We definitely need something new.

We definitely want an Energy Star/high efficiency machine and most likely a top loader. We aren't looking to spend too much and I've noticed that your previous recommendations for top loaders are a few hundred dollars more than the cheapest energy star rated machines at Lowes and Home Depot.

These are the machines we are looking at:

Home Depot #1- GE Super Capacity 3.2 cu. ft.

Home Depot #2- GE King Capacity 3.5 cu. ft.

Do you think that its worth spending the extra money on a Maytag Bravo? What about the King Capacity over the Super?

Also, can you make some recommendations on dishwashers? We probably wouldn't want to spend a whole lot on this either. I see that Home Depot has some models that are Energy Star rated for $200. Our current machine is so old and decrepit that it has a plywood screwed into the front and painted white because the original door panel is no longer there. We can't even wash our cutlery in there because food just doesn't get removed!

Thanks for your help. It is SO very appreciated. This is very generous of you.

Clairitek....
Of the 2 machines you linked to....
GOOD - The 3.5 cu. ft. machine is a fine choice and a good deal for the money. Also consider this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=284222-83-WJRE5550HWW
Depending on your region this may be a lower price.

BAD - The 3.2 cu. ft. machine was listed in error as energy star and certainly WOULD NOT be. I would also avoid this machine due to its single speed design and VERY limited control options.

In regards to the capacity...3.2cu. ft. = Queen Size 3.5cu. ft. = King Size

The way GE has made these units more efficient is by doing a traditional full fill wash and a limited fill shower rinse. They call it a RAINSHOWER SYSTEM.
I applaud GE on their recent switch from transmissions to regulate the agitation speed to the inverter system they use now. It makes for a quieter wash and SHOULD mean better longevity.

A couple others to consider that may be in your price range:

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/laundry/washers/front_load/prod_FTF2140F.asp
http://fisherpaykel.com/laundry/?productUid=C8C41EA6-B253-6DA4-440D688003922619

The Frigidaire can be had for $549 in the white version and a similar model LTF2140FS is also available.
The Fisher Paykel can be had for $599

Do I think the Bravos/Cabrio/Oasis is worth the money. YES
Does that mean it will fit in YOUR budget. NO
If you can afford it and you like it, go for it.
If you are leaning towards it but need more info to make the decision, let me know.

In regard to dishwashers.....
I hate to sound negative, but if you don't plan to spend at least $300-$400 don't expect much.
Less than that it may last just fine but it will be noisy or not clean well or both.

Let's say you can work up approx $1000 in the budget for both of these appliances.
I would skip the Bravos and go with an entry model Frigidaire front load and an entry model Bosch dishwasher.
That's my 2 cents. I can overload with more info here all day, but just ask if you have further questions.
35.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mobius glad of your help...

When you refer to the HE toploaders you don''t mention the GE Harmony...which were the ones we were going to get recently...(were able to still use my Maytag Neptune TL which I love)....everything I hade read about them...indicated that they were the a bit better than the others...especially in repair needs...although brand one was odd to me because it had a top pullout lint thing that is awkward (Maytag I think)

I think HE toploaders are great (not cheap)...My Maytag gets my clothes much cleaner...than before...and frontlaoders wont work in my space...

Also have you seen the new KitchenAid 72" cabinet depth french door fridge...we just got it it is awesome...it comes in black, SS and a panel ready version...it might come white too...we got black...it fits perfectly into the ''hole''...and blends well with the stainless that was in the house already...

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/20/2008 8:47:46 AM
Author: diane5006
Hi Mobius glad of your help...

When you refer to the HE toploaders you don''t mention the GE Harmony...which were the ones we were going to get recently...(were able to still use my Maytag Neptune TL which I love)....everything I hade read about them...indicated that they were the a bit better than the others...especially in repair needs...although brand one was odd to me because it had a top pullout lint thing that is awkward (Maytag I think)

I think HE toploaders are great (not cheap)...My Maytag gets my clothes much cleaner...than before...and frontlaoders wont work in my space...

Also have you seen the new KitchenAid 72'' cabinet depth french door fridge...we just got it it is awesome...it comes in black, SS and a panel ready version...it might come white too...we got black...it fits perfectly into the ''hole''...and blends well with the stainless that was in the house already...
I have nothing against the Harmony, but it is a smaller capacity than the Cabrio and most people will prefer a knob control vs. the GUI touch screen of the Harmony. Good machine though. Manufactured for GE by LG.

WOW, thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten about the NEPTUNE TL.
It''s so cool to talk to someone that has one!
You liked it?

I have not seen your fridge yet. We do have one in our store, we just haven''t pulled it out for display yet.
They are good refrigerators. CONGRATS!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mobius,

Thanks for your offer to help! I have a question too...

Our dishwasher is probably 3-6 years old. It was here when we bought our condo almost 3 years ago, and the guy who lived here before us had bought new appliances in the 3 years he lived here. Anyway, the dishwasher has a lot of discoloration in it -- the racks, the utensil holder, on the sides, and on the door. I''m not sure if it''s some sort of rust (there''s no rust on the outside of the machine), mold, or if it''s something else. Scrubbing the machine has done nothing -- I"ve tried. I''ve tried leaving the door open for a while after its run, thinking that if it was mold, I wouldn''t be encouraging more to grow in the warm and wet environment. Nothing''s helped. I hope it''s still actually cleaning our dishes, because we''re still using it.

What do you think it could be and what would you recommend I try to clean it? If this matters, the dishwasher''s white, not stainless.

Thanks!!!

Zoe

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 7:24:45 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Hi Mobius,

Thanks for your offer to help! I have a question too...

Our dishwasher is probably 3-6 years old. It was here when we bought our condo almost 3 years ago, and the guy who lived here before us had bought new appliances in the 3 years he lived here. Anyway, the dishwasher has a lot of discoloration in it -- the racks, the utensil holder, on the sides, and on the door. I''m not sure if it''s some sort of rust (there''s no rust on the outside of the machine), mold, or if it''s something else. Scrubbing the machine has done nothing -- I''ve tried. I''ve tried leaving the door open for a while after its run, thinking that if it was mold, I wouldn''t be encouraging more to grow in the warm and wet environment. Nothing''s helped. I hope it''s still actually cleaning our dishes, because we''re still using it.

What do you think it could be and what would you recommend I try to clean it? If this matters, the dishwasher''s white, not stainless.

Thanks!!!

Zoe
Plastic tubs are porous and will absorb stains and odors. Tomato based products like ketchup and pasta sauce are common culprits. Also minerals in your water supply could be causing it.
If it''s food discoloration then you can try something with citric acid like TANG or DISHWASHER MAGIC. If it''s minerals in your water you may need to try a rust remover. Something like CLR perhaps.
If you use a chemical like this, do multiple empty wash loads after running the chemical through to ensure that no chemical residue remains

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results