shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My journey to a symmetrical asscher

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Ever since I got my ring, I have wanted to get a different diamond. I am actually satisfied with the size of my asscher (1.23 ct) but the off-center table drove me crazy. I have a symmetrical brain, and my husband too (thank goodness!) so he knows how much it bothers me. That was a tough lesson we learned; never buy a diamond unless you get to see it in person first! :(sad

So, for the past few years, I have been keeping an eye on asscher diamonds online every so often. Since we got my original diamond from JA, I know that I have to get something at least twice the price of my original stone to take advantage of their upgrade policy. Over the years, i flip flop between emerald and asscher cuts. One day, I came across a gorgeous 2 ct. asscher and immediately knew THIS IS IT!!! I asked about the stone here on PS (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-upgrade.186499/) and lovely PSers approved of it.
thankyou.gif

I contacted Leon Mege who made our rings to see if he could give me a quote for the same setting that we got from him back in 2009. It was a simple solitaire with single claw prongs and no cathedral with a matching band. This time, I requested an octagonal gallery to match the asscher shape. You could see my old wedding set here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wedding-set-by-leon-megé.107804/

Actually, I haven't been able to wear my old wedding set because my finger size changed dramatically due to health problems (it went from 4.5 to 6). For almost a year, I didn't have to look at my unsymmetrical asscher everyday. I have been wearing the Cartier trinity ring instead and love how comfortable it feels on the finger.

Long story short, I ended up getting the asscher from Leon/Perry instead of JA since they were able to match the price, and it saves me the hassle of using two different vendors. The 5-week wait is seriously torturous but in my opinion, well worth it. I love how delicate Leon's solitaire setting is. Perhaps I would've liked it set a tiny bit higher because as much as I like the setting to be low, I liked how I could still see the culet of my last diamond from the side. For this one, The culet is sitting entirely in the gallery. Anyway, I will try to see if I can live with this super low setting. If not, I might contact Leon about it to see if something could be done?

The most important thing is... Now, everytime when I look down at my rings, I see symmetry and beauty. I love it! :love:

p1030816.jpeg

p1030817.jpeg

p1030818.jpeg

p1030820.jpeg

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the beautiful new stone!!! :D The ring is so classy and timeless, but I do how to agree with you that the setting is a little too low. I think your diamond will have more visual interest if it's set higher. :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is gorgeous! Congrats on your new ring, it is a stunning stone! :appl: :love:

If it were me, I'd give Leon a heads up now that you have a concern about how low the ring sits, but tell him that you want to live with it for a bit before making a decision. That way, if you wait 3 months and then contact him, he's not going to be suprised and wonder why you waited so long to say anything...just a suggestion. ;-)

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
That's a beautiful stone and a beautiful ring! It is SUPER low, which I would probably like because of the comfort factor, but if you don't, you should contact Leon and see what can be done!

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I love everything about the ring but I am going to see how I feel about the super low setting. Yes, it is more comfortable, especially when I need to wear gloves. Thanks for the suggestion yennyfire, I just dropped Leon and Perry an email. Leon is actually going on vacation starting today but will be back next Monday.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Octagonal gallery= :love:

Really cool idea Lunemo. Congrats again on everything, sounds like you really deserve some happiness! :wavey:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Perfect in every way! I love it! :love: congratulations!!!!
:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! :love: I love its symmetry and I love the gallery. Just so lovely!!!
I agree that I think it would look even more beautiful if raised up just a bit so you could see the culet from the side. Hopefully Leon will be able to do this.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YOWZERS!!! that is a spectacular stone and I love it in that simple, clean, classic setting!!! Its PERFECT!!! :appl: :love:

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
That 2.0 looks huge :love: beautiful on your hand!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just simple, elegant, and gorgeous!! :love: (I love your rings, but I, too, once had a solitaire from Leon that was simply set too low. I eventually changed it, but it would be much better for you to say something now than have regrets long term. I cannot figure out why he sets diamonds so very low. I don't like high settings, but medium-low would be an improvement!)

trundlebunny

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. So glad your wait is over!! I totally sympathise with the symetrical issue, you did well to last as long as you did!

Do you know the width of the shank by the way? Would be interested to know for reference.

Enjoy getting lost in those setps!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
IN some cases I do think his rings look too low, but in your case with this diamond and these bands I think this set is perfection!

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! My husband likes it the way it is actually. He looked at it and was confused about my concerns. He said "what don't you like about it?" Then, he turned to the gallery and said "Well, you could still see the culet from the bottom baby." ::) But he did say to make it perfect for me if it still bothers me next week.

diamondseeker2006|1366765509|3433319 said:
Just simple, elegant, and gorgeous!! :love: (I love your rings, but I, too, once had a solitaire from Leon that was simply set too low. I eventually changed it, but it would be much better for you to say something now than have regrets long term. I cannot figure out why he sets diamonds so very low. I don't like high settings, but medium-low would be an improvement!)

Thanks diamondseeker2006! Did you get it changed by Leon eventually? Was it a very complicated fix? I did send Leon an email to give him a heads up about my uncertainty. Wonder what he would say.

trundlebunny said:
Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. So glad your wait is over!! I totally sympathise with the symetrical issue, you did well to last as long as you did!

Do you know the width of the shank by the way? Would be interested to know for reference.

Enjoy getting lost in those setps!

Ha good question! I asked that he makes it just like my last one, and I believe my last one was around 1.5mm? I never have it written down anywhere though. FYI the setting is called the delicate modern solitaire.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous asscher :love: I understand your concern about wanting to see the culet. My stone is set in a semi-bezel and I love staring at the culet. Whatever you decide it's a beautiful classic ring. Enjoy!

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! Beautiful and classic... it looks perfect on you! :appl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond, love the high crown.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous stone! And I love Leon's solitaire. I would probably ask him to raise it for me (which I imagine is a total do-over but possibly not) to have it be absolutely what you want but it is strikingly elegant as is.

Did Leon get you the exact stone you had picked out at JA? How did that work with your upgrade or did you keep your original stone? Just curious - you don't have to explain if you'd rather not.

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Rosebloom|1366773526|3433433 said:
What a gorgeous stone! And I love Leon's solitaire. I would probably ask him to raise it for me (which I imagine is a total do-over but possibly not) to have it be absolutely what you want but it is strikingly elegant as is.

Did Leon get you the exact stone you had picked out at JA? How did that work with your upgrade or did you keep your original stone? Just curious - you don't have to explain if you'd rather not.

Yikes I hope it won't be a total do-over if I decide to raise it a bit. I wrote what I thought was a very nice email to Leon. Really not quite sure what kind of response I would get from him. A bit nervous about that.

Yup Perry got the exact stone that I had picked out at JA because according to him, there're very few asschers that look exactly like that one at the moment. I traded in my original stone for this and Perry matched the price that JA would've given me (100% credit of original stone, PS discount and wire transfer discount).

kathness

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful! Congratulations :) :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous! :love:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks awesome--except I do agree--I would want it higher. I do not like low settings. It just makes stones look so much smaller and does them so little justice! Light should be able to shine on that sucker from all directions.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE your new asscher and the rings are stunning :love: I also think that it is set a tad too low. Hopefully Leon will be willing to work with you to ensure that the ring is exactly what you want.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
lunemo|1366774471|3433445 said:
Rosebloom|1366773526|3433433 said:

Yikes I hope it won't be a total do-over if I decide to raise it a bit. I wrote what I thought was a very nice email to Leon. Really not quite sure what kind of response I would get from him. A bit nervous about that.

Yup Perry got the exact stone that I had picked out at JA because according to him, there're very few asschers that look exactly like that one at the moment. I traded in my original stone for this and Perry matched the price that JA would've given me (100% credit of original stone, PS discount and wire transfer discount).

DREAM!!!!

Lori

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!!!! :appl: :appl:

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
I like it low......and it looks way bigger than 2ct!!! It is stunning :love:

Von03

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful diamond! It looks lovely.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a drastic change from your old stone!!! I can't believe you lived with that other stone for as long as you did! The off centeredness would have driven me crazy every day! Your new set looks lovely and I hope you enjoy it!

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! The low profile setting is beginning to grow on me. I am a bit self-conscious and embarrassed about the upgrade, and know that if it is set higher, it would look bigger. I am nervous that people might notice that I have an upgrade. Am I strange?

I decided to post a few more hand shots. It was sunny this morning! :twirl:

A lot has been said in the past about Leon and his ring boxes (or lack thereof). I want to post my Leon ring boxes because I thought the mini one is so cute!! I must say that his boxes are sort of light weight and flimsy, and absolutely does not compare to my Cartier ring box.

_5826.jpg

photo__1_21.jpg

p1030821.jpeg

p1030824.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results