shape
carat
color
clarity

My Jewellery and CS Year 2016

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2016 is going to be a fruitful year for me in terms of jewellery and colour stones projects, hence the new thread, instead of continuing with the 2015 thread. :))

First off, a few purchases from Jeff D, some of them were purchased towards the end of last year, however, I received them in Feb 2016:

jdfeb2016_03.jpg

I particularly like the Lemon Quartz in the front, and am thinking of setting it with a pair of EB Topaz traps as a cocktail ring.

The two EC Aquamarines are presents. The others are grey Spinels, a small pink sapphire, and a set of small blue sapphire melees.

Second purchase is a trillion Mahenge Spinel from Yvonne, and I shall receive the stone in May:

il_570xn_172.jpg

First ring to be made is for my RH Amethyst with Doug's Trillion with corners Sky Blue Topaz Sides, CAD approved, and it will be a very chunky ring. This should be ready in May too. Here is the final CAD, and it will be made in 14K WG:

qq______20160225130326.png

I shall start paying towards my 6ct+ EC Aquamarine by Jeff W later in March, and it should be ready in May.

Next jewellery project will be an 8-station 0.2ct each DBTY diamond bracelet in 14K WG, and it should be ready in time for my trip to LA in July/August.

Next ring to be made is to set my Sea of Cortez mabe pearl in a diamond halo; to be followed by Doug's Natural Blue Asscher Topaz with Doug's White Topaz traps. These should be ready in June and July.

seaofcortezmabering.png asschercutnaturalbluetopazring.png

The main purpose of the trip to LA is to attend the annual Pearl Ruckus with fellow pearl enthusiasts from another board. No doubt I shall buy a few pearls and jewellery when I am there, as it normally involves a trip to Pearl Paradise, and I have planned to pay Pearl of Joy and Bella Findings a visit too.

Next up will be some blue-green Tourmalines from JW that he picked up from Tucson recently (not the parcel in his FB page as it has a massive price tag attached to it, however, another parcel from the same dealer). According to Jeff, my budget should stretch to a 3-stone EC ring with this material.

I am hoping to have more CS rings made later in the year, fingers crossed for more contract work and job security.

That's it for now.

DK :bigsmile:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to seeing all your projects, but I'm especially wanting to see the "chunky ring" project and the SoC halo ring. The SoC timing will be perfect as I think it will be a fabulous summer ring! Your aqua project mockup reminds me a bit of dandt's Montana sapphire ring.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what an exciting year for you. :appl: Thanks for this update. All of your projects and stones sound amazing. I am looking forward to your reveals. The Sea of Cortez ring is the one that I am most curious about its process. I never heard about it until now and pearls are one of my birthstones... I have so much yet to learn. The pearl event sounds so much fun. Here's to a very prosperous year for you!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you have quite an exciting year planned. I can't wait to see how your pieces turn out...and I am pretty excited to see that chunky one. :naughty:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a great CS year ahead DK! Thank you for sharing your newest additions. I am so curious to see the outcome. Especially the pearl ring and the natural topaz rings. Beautiful designs :love:

Any more CS purchases ahead or will you concentrate on setting your stones in 2016?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking forward to the SoC and topaz + traps ring. I think those are going to be spectacular!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I doubt if I would have the fund for another major CS purchase this year, as house maintenance takes priority, and I really should start saving up towards a new car.

The RH Amethyst ring is probably the most sentimental, as the stone was purchased using money given to me for my 50th last year by my nearests and dearests.

I have already deposited a number of CSs for setting when I met up with my usual contact at diamondmounts when I was in HK last November, and shall concentrate in having them set.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, those meaningful pieces like your RH ring are the best dk!!

Which of your stones are currently waiting in line at Diamondmounts? So curious to see your 'to set' list 8-)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exciting projects! The pearl ring you are having made really caught my eye. I didn't know I liked pearls until I saw your plan for your Mabe pearl. That is going to be a stunning ring. :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stones DK and so many exciting projects on the table! That mahenge is stunning.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the next two rings to be made, as planned shortly before I went to HK last Nov 2015:

aquaandtourmalinebypassring.png

trillionskybluetopazring.png

However, all could be changed due to new or future CS purchases! :naughty: :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing stones and designs dk :love: :love:
I love your jewelry style. You always come up with sophisticated ideas.

And yes, aren't stones tempting indeed :twisted:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm excited to see how your CS year unfolds! I especially love the mabe pearl ring, and the one with Doug's topaz in the center--but all of your ideas and stones are gorgeous! :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind words. :))

BTW, I shall blame mochiko42 for introducing me to the delight that is Yvonne! Joking, of course! :bigsmile:

I am eyeing some of her listings and hope that they are still available when I have the pennies to spare. And no, I shall not reveal what they are in case my plans do not work out. :naughty:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the colours on the pink and blue pears, that will be quite some ring!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1457297174|4000663 said:
Thank you for your kind words. :))

BTW, I shall blame mochiko42 for introducing me to the delight that is Yvonne! Joking, of course! :bigsmile:

I am eyeing some of her listings and hope that they are still available when I have the pennies to spare. And no, I shall not reveal what they are in case my plans do not work out. :naughty:

Her store and working with her is addictive, isn't it?

Looking forward to seeing your projects materialize -- especially the mabe pearl ring!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1457267491|4000490 said:
Here are the next two rings to be made, as planned shortly before I went to HK last Nov 2015:

aquaandtourmalinebypassring.png

trillionskybluetopazring.png

However, all could be changed due to new or future CS purchases! :naughty: :bigsmile:

I'm especially excited to see the bypass pear rings!! It's going to be gorgeous like all your projects. :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As requested by mochiko42, setting ideas for my trillion Mahenge Spinel:

The practical one, in 14K WG only:

tsavoire-faire12a.gif

My favourite setting for trillion cut, with the centre stone bezel-set, more an occasion wear ring:

__12_1.jpg flowerring_1.jpg

Another setting that I like, again, centre stone to be bezel-set:
1_50.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always love seeing these trillion inspiration rings dk :love: :love:
Personally I would be tempted though to choose the practical design as you will get more wear out if it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1457765939|4003793 said:
I always love seeing these trillion inspiration rings dk :love: :love:
Personally I would be tempted though to choose the practical design as you will get more wear out if it.

Same here, as I have two occasion-wear rings with rubies already, and can do with a more substantial red stone ring for work wear, as I only have the small heart-shaped ruby three-stone ring at present for work wear.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see the trillion set in the petal/flower setting. Ooh la la!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1457812689|4004050 said:
I can't wait to see the trillion set in the petal/flower setting. Ooh la la!

I am leaning towards "practical" for the Mahenge trillion, however, I have other trillions waiting to be set, Doug's Topaz is one, here is another, a JD's curvy trillion EB Topaz, decided against the flower design to avoid repetition:

trillionebtopazring.png

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
From your photos I like the 'practical ring'. This is similar, I like this ring from jewelryexpert.com.

_82.gif

_83.gif

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting another update on your year-long plans for your gorgeous colored stones. I really enjoyed "coming along" on last years adventures.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inspiration ring with Tsavorite trillion is from JewelryExpert!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
You have good taste Dk. :sun:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An asymmetrical design.. just came across this.

images_27.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't add to the discussion except to say, DK... I love all your stuff :lickout:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scrapped the 8 x 0.2ct DBTY bracelet idea, as I already have 8 x carre/square 0.3ct approx. step cut diamonds waiting to be set into a bracelet/bangle (thank you mum!).

Besides, DBTY bracelet is probably too delicate for my chunky wrist, and I am unlikely to wear it on its own. Shiny/polished white metal suits me.

So here comes the replacement: an ID bracelet with the 8 carre cut diamonds evenly spaced out on the curved plate, with a Figaro chain.

The width of the curved plate will be 6mm with a slightly narrower chain, and It will be chunky enough to wear on its own.

I am enquiring about the cost in both 14K WG and Platinum. Since I do not have to fork out anything for the stones, I am leaning towards platinum as I envisage to wear the bracelet on a regular basis.

Will this curb my desire to have a bezel-set diamond tennis bracelet? Only time will tell. :naughty:

P.S. Inspiration of setting the diamonds in an ID bracelet came from gregchang35. I had a platinum ID bracelet in my youth, and his thread on spec'ing an ID bracelet for his OH rekindled my liking for an ID bracelet. I scrapped my idea for the DBTY bracelet shortly before he started his latest thread showing off the finished article. Seeing the pics of his OH's bracelet made me realised I have made the right choice. Thanks Greg! :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent idea Dora!!
It will be such a beautiful and strong piece of jewelry. I am looking forward to see the the result.
Can you post a pic of your stones?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results