shape
carat
color
clarity

my inherited ring -- characteristics? insurance? setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few questions about a ring I inherited from my grandmother. I have posted a few close-up pictures of it below. You may have already seen it. I have a thread in the Are We There Yet forum titled "my ring aspirations". HERE There are some more pictures of the ring.

Background: My grandparents bought the diamond (center stone) in the early 1960''s from their jeweler. It originally came from Cuba. I have been told it is an OMC and approximately 2 carats. By looking at the photos I have posted, can you tell me anything else about it? Can you see any inclusions or noticeable characteristics? Any scratches or chips? I am also very curious as to the color of it, but I know that that is not easy to tell from my photos. I mentioned in my thread that it would be at least a couple of months before I would be looking into getting it appaised, but I am curious about it''s specs. If there is any feedback you could give me, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

BGcloseup.jpg

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Also, in my thread, you can see the Tacori setting that I would like for the OMC to be set into. My jeweler said that the design is made for @ 1 to 1.5 carat stone, so a new basket would need to be made if my OMC is larger than what it is designed for.

What are your opinions about getting it apprasised? Should I do it as a loose stone and keep the stone out of the setting? Or have them take the stone out of the setting (which is platinum and over 40 years old), appraise it, and them put the stone back in the setting until it is time for the OMC to be put into a new (most likely the Tacori bezel) setting?

bgringAB.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert, and it may be just the photos, but it doesn''t look like an OMC to me. It also doesn''t look like an OEC to me. If I had to guess I''d say it was a Transitional, but the stone just looks too modern to be turn of the century.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Is Transitional the name of a type of cut? Or would it be OMC/OEC transitional?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Looks more modern than an OMC - can you put up a pic of a side angle?

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s another set of pictures for now. I''ll try to post a better close-up picture of the side view.

BGyellow2.jpg

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 5:47:11 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
Looks more modern than an OMC - can you put up a pic of a side angle?
Is this a good picture of the side angle? I have more pictures if it would be helpful.

thank you!

BGsideview.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
With the small table, high crown, thin girdle, round diameter, short lower girdle facets and open culet, it looks to be an Old European Cut, circa 1910 or so.

Tough to tell from photos, but it looks like a pretty decent quality, probably white and probably eyeclean.

Nice stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you have it graded ? There''s time before you get the new setting. And it looks like you will get good news
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results