shape
carat
color
clarity

My husband just broke every rule in the book, but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Reenie

Rough_Rock
I think we got away wth it!!! I am 5 months pregnant and my fingers have swollen beyond all recognition and as such both my original georgous square radiant cut with tapered baguette side stones engagement ring and wedding band and sadly the beautiful tiffany solitaire and eternity anniversary set my husband bought me earlier this year dont fit (or any of my other rings for that matter). I didnt want to get my rings resized until after my baby is born and i know what size my fingers will be longer term but was really missing wearing a wedding and engagement ring as felt naked for one and people who didnt know me all that well kept asking if the father was in the picture!!! ;-(

Anyways, my lovely hubby who knew how much having no rings was getting me down has surprised me with the most beautiful solitaire and bagguette cut wedding band. As he spent a lot of money on my tiffany set earlier in the year he didnt want to spend a huge amount of money so tried a local jeweller who also sells a good range of second hand jewellery. I must admit i always have a look in this shop when passing and they do have a lovely range although the quality of some of the diamonds can be so-so but some of the diamonds are just spectacular. So my hubby broke just about every rule in the book when buying my new rings - the solitaire diamond is uncertified, the jewellery could only guess what the colour and clarity was etc. He just went with his eyes and bought the brightest and sparkliest diamond he could find out of the selection available. All i really know for sure is that it is 0.45ct and is set in 18kt white gold in a very pretty twist three prong setting. To go with it he got a simple 18kt white gold set with 0.33ct baguette cut diamonds (H-I colour and SI clarity). The best bit is the price he paid - £500 or $812USD for the solitaire and £130 or $210USD for the wedding band. He even haggled them down to that price (which is so unlike him as he is pretty shy!).
I was VERY nervous when he told me what he bought and that the diamond wasnt certified but all that went out the window when i saw it. It is absolutely stunning!!! The solitaire is very bright and white (looks equivalent to my GIA F coloured stones) and by my untrained eye looks to be excellently cut. None of my other
brilliant cut stones i own sparkle so much or have as much fire as this little one and this one really looks amazing not only in sunlight and spotlights but really performs in everyday diffused light. It really is a little gem of a stone and i cannot stop looking at it. All my friends and colleagues have passed commented on it and many of them have beautiful solitaires that are much larger than this one but they keep raving about how much nicer my stone is. I have compared it even to my tiffany solitaire (0.65ct, I, VVS1 which scored 1.6 on the HCA) and it knocks the socks of that.

So all the rules were broken this time and i really dont care - i love both of the rings and the thought behind them was so wonderful. Am going to get them appraised as am interested in understanding what the actual specs are but on this occasion i think given the price we got a fantastic stone at an amazing price. Even the jeweller we bought them from told him he had bought them at a cracking deal.

Have attached some photos for you to look at - sadly they dont begin to show just how beautiful it is but hopefully you get a bit of an idea.

xx

Reenie

Rough_Rock
A picture of both rings...

Solitairexx4561.jpg

Reenie

Rough_Rock

Solitairexx4562.jpg

Reenie

Rough_Rock
26.gif

Solitairexx4564.jpg

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Indoors shot...

Solitairexx4565.jpg

Reenie

Rough_Rock
And another...

Solitairexx4566.jpg

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Some outdoor shots of both rings..

Weddingset7xx.jpg

Reenie

Rough_Rock
And another...

Weddingset1xx.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
What a sweet hubby you have! Enjoy your new rings
36.gif

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
How sweet! I know how hard it is to not have rings fitting while pregnant, just gave birth to my daughter 4 months ago. When I finally delivered, I was wearing a size 9 and normally I''m a 6! I''ve lost *almost* all of the pregnancy weight, but my finger size has gone up about 0.5-0.75. Just one of the joys of pregnancy, I guess!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, that''s a pretty ring! My sister is pregnant as well. She has a size 3.75 ring finger and her engagement ring doesn''t fit most days. I had to lend her a diamond ring so she doesn''t feel self conscious. She says she feels like people are staring at her and looking for a wedding ring and giving her dirty looks if they don''t see it. Kind of funny, cause its not like a single mother would be a rarity where we live.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful hubby!! Congratulations
36.gif
36.gif
, Your rings are very very pretty
9.gif

Awww what a cute story! I love it... and your hubby did a good job! Very pretty.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
How sweet!!! Enjoy your rings!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
You have the sweetest DH! Your new rings are beautiful!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a thoughtful hubby
36.gif
and what a lovely, unique ring!

I really hope you''ll post another picture of the engagement ring, because the architecture of that ring has me puzzled. It looks like there are three prongs -- if two "swoop up" from the shank, where does the third prong come from?
33.gif

Anyhow, lovely set!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone and setting! Goes to show that your should shop with your eyes first! All the other mumbo-jumbo is great if you can't see the stone in person or you are comparing 2 or more stones, but really - what do all those numbers mean? The are just a way of telling us a stone is pretty! But our eyes can do the same. :D Sounds like he found a great one! Maybe he should get into the gem business...? lol

Congrats on the soon to appear bundle of joy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wonderful!!

cheers--Sharon

Burk

Ideal_Rock
What a sweet hubby. Congrats on your pregnancy!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so sweet of your husband, and your new rings are beautiful...enjoy!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its so lovely and how sweet of your husband!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How sweet. It''s very pretty.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
thats really sweet.
I do think the set is lovely too, so now you can have bling anytime you want!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Very pretty!!! I love the setting. Its so feminine. Enjoy!!!!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
What a sweet husband you have! Very pretty rings -- enjoy!

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS...on your pregnancy and your sweet new wedding set.

26.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
How sweet of your hubby, very pretty rings
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!
36.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful rings! Love the setting on the solitaire!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 1:45:42 PM
Author: VRBeauty
What a thoughtful hubby
36.gif
and what a lovely, unique ring!

I really hope you''ll post another picture of the engagement ring, because the architecture of that ring has me puzzled. It looks like there are three prongs -- if two ''swoop up'' from the shank, where does the third prong come from?
33.gif

Anyhow, lovely set!
+1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results