shape
carat
color
clarity

My Horsehair Jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Back in May of last year, I had to put down my sweet old Morgan gelding Taz at age 27 due to sudden colic. (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/horse-ill-today-still-worried.45204/) He was an amazing horse and friend and I still miss him daily. Before he was laid to rest I snipped off his mane and tail, intending to have some jewelry made out of it eventually.

Well, around late October, I finally was able to bring myself to part with it and I sent his beautiful tail to a woman named Kim in North Carolina. I had spotted her website (www.twistedtails.com) and had bookmarked it because her work looked amazing. A fellow teacher used her at my suggestion for an anniversary present for his wife, and his bracelet turned out really well, so I felt safe in sending her the last little parts of what I had left of my Taz.

My bracelets just arrived today, and I am so very pleased. I hadn't expected them until tomorrow due to MLK Day, so this was a welcome and very special surprise. The jewelry and the leftover hair was sent back to me, neatly packaged and boxed up. I ordered three and will DEFINITELY order more in the future, as there is a lot of hair left and I love how these turned out. The bracelet with the horseshoe end caps and beads is mine and is 7.5" long. It fits perfectly, though it's a little tough to put on solo. The other two bracelets with the barrel end caps are gifts. One is for my mother (birthday gift) and the other is for Taz's former owner Anne. Taz was Anne's very first Morgan horse and after he sparked her interest in the breed, she went on to become a successful Morgan horse breeder (www.ancanmorgans.com). In an amazing coincidence, she had a litle colt born on her farm on the exact morning that Taz was put down humanely. The colt is named Ancan Razmatazz in his honor.

Here are some photos of the bracelets. The craftsmanship is remarkable and each one is about 1/4" wide. All the braids are in the "half-round" style. The findings and beads are all sterling silver, chosen to contrast with Taz's rich dark chestnut hair.

Leftover hair, three fairly thick bunches. I'd love to have more bracelets or even a necklace made one day.

A favorite picture of me and the handsome guy, taken in '96 just before we won our first blue ribbon together.

Thanks for letting me share!
4.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry about your horse, but those bracelets are very unique! At least you will have something to remember him by always.

*M*

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful memento of your beautiful horse and the bracelets are just gorgeous! Some of the native American Indian tribes in my area make this magnificent horse hair pottery.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, he was gorgeous!! And how absolutely unique on the bracelet!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful horse he was. I especially love your bracelet, with the horseshoe motifs on it. Really beautiful.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh he was an absolutely stunning horse!! I''m so sorry for your loss, but the bracelet was a great, great idea!!

I''m going to bookmark that site, since I too am a horse lover
2.gif
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very cool!! Your horse has beautiful hair!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Equi - he was just PERFECT! I am so happy you had this jewellery done, thanks so much for sharing.
emrose.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am so very very glad you have such a beautiful remberance!

movie zombie

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so happy you finally got the bracelets Equ...they look great!!!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Those are beautiful! Sorry to hear about Taz. My grandparents have 3 Morgans also, they use them to pull carriages for weddings. They''re a beautiful breed.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all your comments.
9.gif

I gave my mother her bracelet today! I surprised her with it this afternoon. She LOVED it and got all teary, because she loved Taz so very much too. Hers was a 7" custom length and it fits perfectly. We plan on going together soon to the place where Taz''s former owner runs her Morgan breeding farm and we''ll give her the last bracelet and some of the tail hair that is left over. That way, we get to see baby Taz too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results