My heart belongs to this wonky sapphire

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The tourquoise is DDG
Major swoon !

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Genius ! Great find . I love both options and you cannot lose! Two absolutely stunning options to pick from .

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The turquoise is really beautiful. And your sapphire makes me drool.

But that ring was made for a cab stone.
A deep faceted stone would require the jeweler to drill out the center and solder in a basket setting, which would then change the whole feel of the ring.
Plus, the diamonds might need to be removed while the work is being done. A jeweler might not even want to go there.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a jeweler can make it work I say go for it!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love wonky stones and you’re clearly smitten with him. It’s also interesting how different it looks in terms of colour, blue, blue/yellow, grey! Your little wonky is very deep though - how will he sit in the turquoise setting?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I agree that depth could be an issue. It's close, but surely it is at least conceivable to lengthen the connection between the halo and the gallery. I'm in touch with DK and will see what he thinks.

DCE706C0-EC88-4DE2-9427-4C9EBF99E82E.jpeg

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I agree that depth could be an issue. It's close, but surely it is at least conceivable to lengthen the connection between the halo and the gallery. I'm in touch with DK and will see what he thinks.

looks like it is going to be a tight squeeze if it can be done. Is there an option to keep the turquoise cab in that ring, and remake the setting specifically for your sapphire?? two rings instead?! I do love how your sapphire looks in that setting, so I understand the need to try!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't want two of the same ring. If DK says it will work, I'm gonna go for the swap. If not, oh well, back to the drawing board.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is not an easy fit (I make jewellery occasionally). The prongs aren’t long enough to grab Wonky securely and not only that he’s too deep. You can see Wonky’s culet is quite a bit higher than the base of your ring. That means you’d need to raise Wonky up in the setting, potentially add an additional bit to the basket and then elongate the prongs. That’s all doable but a heck of a lot of work. I hate to say this but I think Wonky needs his own setting.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
It's gonna be two rings! The sapphire only sort of fit in the turquoise setting (it would have needed a bezel to work), so I scrapped that idea and went in another direction. I am currently finalizing CADs and wanted opinions on the prong orientation. I'm excited about this new design!

65D4F8BF-253A-4B1E-A454-EC0AEE0EB26C.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
So many people are setting sapphires recently. It's exciting! Looking forward to how yours turns out.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I normally do not care for NSEW prong orientation, but something about it draws my eye more here. Going to be gorgeous either way!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m all about the NSEW orientation but that tends to be my preference

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
+1 NSEW!
It's going to be a beautiful design. :love:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!! I love it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely.
When did you approve your cads? If you don’t mind me asking.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well done! On to hand shots :love:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring!
Can’t be sure from those pictures, but from what I do see, check the shoulder stones with a loupe and a toothpick to see if any are loose as soon as received, just to be sure?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely.
When did you approve your cads? If you don’t mind me asking.

It was a long wait - over five weeks. First DK had to source the diamonds, then the diamond guy was at the trade show, then the ring had to be recast because the original prongs weren't working with the deepness of the stone. Plus, I think DK is working on an original jewelry line. I went through three design iterations myself before approving the CAD so I can't really complain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results