shape
carat
color
clarity

my halo, added on to existing ring

totheleft

Rough_Rock
For reference, I originally posted photos of my ring and questions about vendors/advice for adding a halo to my existing setting here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-i-need-you-all-lol.173925/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-i-need-you-all-lol.173925/[/URL]

I ended up deciding to go for it, and went with Pete Tain at Quest Jewelers (DC area) to add a halo to my setting. I was very attached to my original setting and he had great vision for how to rearrange the diamonds and adjust the taper to accommodate the halo I wanted.

It was hand-forged (which I guess matters to some people, not so much to me, but I can appreciate it), and on top of moving the top pave down the side of the band, he also added 3 diamonds total to my wedding ring to make it match up (it wasn't a perfect fit before; now it is).

I can't recommend Pete enough. They're just NICE PEOPLE. He got excited about the project and had a ton of ideas - including some to SAVE me money. He also took my diamonds out of my settings in front of me (I had him replace the head on my heirloom right-hand ring, too, as the prongs were weak) and he showed me how to use the loupe, flourescence detector, do color grading, etc. It was neat to see my diamonds out of their settings side by side, get my right-hand diamond weighed, etc.

Before: (for reference, the diamond is a 1.50 ct. princess SI1 G set in platinum)

s640x640.jpg

1s640x640.jpg

After - all cell-phone shots, if anyone cares I can take some more photos later :D

Beside my right-hand ring (a 1.46 ct. RB SI1 H - looks whiter and bigger than my princess though, side by side, before the halo)

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 2.58.02 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 2.57.16 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 2.58.14 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 2.56.57 PM.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Gorgeous transformation! Enjoy wearing it!!!

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Thank you! It's exactly what I wanted, I'm very happy :) I'm glad I took the risk.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks amazing! that transformation was well worth it, IMO! I love the new setting - and it looks like it's always been that way - seamless metal work. Congratulations!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks incredible!! They did a great job!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that looks fantastic!!!!!!! Love the transformation, they really did a beautiful job.

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
Great transformation!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Looks so beautiful that way. Bet you are so happy with it and keep looking at it! Good decision!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Amazing! Congratulations! :appl:

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
What a huge diffrence!! LOVE it!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am impressed - I truly didn't think that could be done in a suitable way but I was wrong. I have met Pete - he is a first class person.

So glad that you got what you wanted - it is a very nice look and he's done an incredible job! Does it give you the look you wanted size wise? Makes it feel like a much larger look?

You know we'll need more pictures though!!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Well, I was one of those people who said not to attempt to halo your old ring. Pulling it off successfully would have been impossible in my opinion. However, I am happy to have been proven wrong!! Your ring looks really good and I think Pete did a wonderful job! I am happy that you got what you wanted.

totheleft

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1336525448|3190599 said:
I am impressed - I truly didn't think that could be done in a suitable way but I was wrong. I have met Pete - he is a first class person.

So glad that you got what you wanted - it is a very nice look and he's done an incredible job! Does it give you the look you wanted size wise? Makes it feel like a much larger look?

You know we'll need more pictures though!!

I'll take some photos here shortly :D

It looks just bigger enough that I'm happy with it. I told him I wanted it a little thinner than the one he showed me - and he captured what I wanted PERFECTLY. I'm so happyw ith it. Just a little more "bling" factor. :love:

Thanks for the feedback! I figured if it didn't work out, I wasn't out that much - but I wanted to try. :) It wasn't too terribly expensive. On top of that, Pete was pretty honest with options, so I figured he would tell me if he felt uncomfortable with it (and he said from the start the changes he'd make - moving the diamonds donw, etc - so I felt comfortable with him.)

totheleft

Rough_Rock
onedrop|1336525883|3190610 said:
Well, I was one of those people who said not to attempt to halo your old ring. Pulling it off successfully would have been impossible in my opinion. However, I am happy to have been proven wrong!! Your ring looks really good and I think Pete did a wonderful job! I am happy that you got what you wanted.

Thank you! I said this above but I thought about the cost/potential risk analysis and wanted to see. I trusted him based on some things he said - I truly don't think he would ahve taken it on if he didn't feel comfortable. He provided me with a number of options but told me he felt 100% confident he could do it.

I'm thrilled with it. It's exactly waht I wanted. IDK if it's "perfect" or not - but it's perfect to me. /swoon

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Some more photos. :)

There are weird shiny light reflections and dark spots thanks to trying to hold a lamp above the ring.. ugh. It didn't work at all. I need to practice my ring photography apparently.

This inclusion IS in the diamond, though you can't really see it unless you look very close or through the side (and I have better than 20/20 vision :razz:). I like it,I call it the "birthmark". I know none of you would buy it though, LOL! It looks like it's at the top of the diamond but it's about 1 mm down.

How can I get the dark shadows on the metal at the top of the halo not to show up in photos? No matter where I turned the lamp, the dark spots just moved.

ring2.jpg

ring4.jpg

ring9.jpg

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
All I can say is "absolutely stunning!"

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
What a transformation! That came out beautifully.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that's so amazing that you are able to keep your original ring! I love it! It's beautiful and looks like it came like that!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
very nice addition. its very bling now. :)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Well done, it looks gorgeous!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, it looks fanastic! i love the proportions of the halo to your stone, and it looks gorgeous on your hand & with your band. they did an amazing job! it looks like it's always been there.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AMAZING!!!!!! :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow...they did a great job at adding it! Looks like its always been a halo!

I agree! Looks like it's always been a halo!

Gorgeous!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing! I love that you were able to do this.
Since my reset, three years ago, I've had this nagging little regret that I didn't go for the halo. I wonder if it could be done on mine? Maybe I need to make a quick trip to see the jeweler who did my reset. Thanks for the idea, and enjoy that gorgeous ring!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out wonderful! Glad you're happy with it!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
wow! I remember your original thread and I must say it looks amazing! (But I am very partial to halos.)

totheleft

Rough_Rock
KaeKae|1336590686|3191346 said:
Amazing! I love that you were able to do this.
Since my reset, three years ago, I've had this nagging little regret that I didn't go for the halo. I wonder if it could be done on mine? Maybe I need to make a quick trip to see the jeweler who did my reset. Thanks for the idea, and enjoy that gorgeous ring!

Hi KaeKae, as you can see, the head on mine was sort of "seperate" from the rest of the ring, so he was able to pop it out and put in a new (haloed) head. He also took down the tapered shank, put the top diamond at the bottom of the main band (thus making it look like there are more diamonds on my band), etc.

I love it. It also feels much lower to me, which is a weird unexpected side effect, since the top of the diamond is close to the halo (before it felt like it was miles above the shank!). I don't dislike that - just feels more secure but less high.

Not sure where you're located, but Pete/Quest Jewelers are well-respected here on PS and they're located in the DC area (northern VA - they ship, but I'm lucky to work 2 miles from them :)

totheleft

Rough_Rock
bastetcat|1336600092|3191524 said:
wow! I remember your original thread and I must say it looks amazing! (But I am very partial to halos.)

Thanks bastetcat :) I have been swooning over halos recently so I'm glad I made the change :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results