shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE HELP! I need you all. :( lol

totheleft

Rough_Rock
I have no IRL friends who give a crap about jewelry, so I come to you all. :)
I've posted it before, but here's my current ring:

file.jpg

file.jpg

I had asked advice on if there was a way to "haloize" my ring and got varied feedback, including someone who said that it'd be technically possible to add a halo to my current ring by popping the head out and replacing it with the haloed setting, but that some jeweleres won't do it and you want to make sure it's someone who you trust.

I had also asked about halo wraps but was encouraged not to think about them - and I didn't. I'm over that idea. :)

I went to see Quest here in the DC area (thanks to lots of research and a number of satisfied users here on PS). Pete was AMAZING and said he felt confident that he could absolutely add the halo I wanted, showed me a number of similar rings, and also talked of how he'd be moving the top diamond in my tapered band down to the bottom to make a cleaner top by the halo, would use 20 1.1mm diamonds VS2-SI1, G-H in color. He drew a little diagram of what he'd do, etc. and quoted me $1276 (plus another $175 if I want him to add diamonds to my wedding band so they line up now that he's moving diamonds further down my e-ring).

The halo I said I wanted was a delicate, micropave, rounded edge, no bezel, prong, like this Coast ring, which I tried on while I was there. I wanted something that would not take away from the center stone, but would rather enhance it.

I felt very comfortable with his level of knowledge, that he gave me a number of options, etc.

However at my husband's request, I also went to another jeweler (and plan to go to another tomorrow). Today's was Dominion Jewelers in Falls Church - they have a ton of "we do custom jewelry for half the price of the regular stores, and we're a small family owned business nestled in the heart of Falls Church" radio ads. I was not opposed to going to them.

The place was MUCH different - like 7 jewelers working on rings at the same time, no engagement jewelry in teh cases (mostly gold right hand ring type stuff, pins, necklaces, non-diamonds, etc. (Quest was teeny tiny, required a bell be rung to gain access, was very small and intimate and clearly mostly appointment-based. They also had a number of Vatsche and other jewelers' rings in their 3 cases.)

The guy himself I was NOT in love wtih - just not as overly "good person seeming" as at Quest, though I don't really want to marry the guy regardless, so that doesn't really matter. He immediately told me he could not/would not add a halo to my original band because he didn't think it was a good decision. (I don't necessarily DISAGREE with this - I would not be doing it if I didn't absolutely trust whatever jeweler did the work). He immediately told me he could only make me a new setting. I had expressed in advance of going in that the reason I wanted the current setting was that I'm attached to it and like its shape.

His immediate response was to tell me that he could make me a replica of the Tiffany Legacy. I said I wanted pronged, with teh main diamond set higher; he said he could prong it and thus it'd be higher automatically. I said "so there wouldn't be a bezel right?" and he sai d"No, there would have to be, around the outside."

His cost (including melting down my current ring and using my current platinum/diamonds) - $1400, which I think is reasonable.

Here's my question though - am I crazy? I feel like the Legacy is the polar opposite of the delicate halo I had asked for, and I don't like the idea of my ring just being a "rip off of _______". I also feel like a LOT of people have the Legacy and that doesn't feel very.. um.. special to me. I LOVE the ring - but I am desensitized to its beauty at this point.

So my questions are these ("Finally!")
-Am I crazy to consider having my current ring re-structured to add the halo? Is it that nuts? He is also rearranging stuff so it's not like he's just going to pop a halo on top and call it a day. He was also confident that it would look nice with my current ring, didn't try to upsell me on diamond size/color, etc (said things like "the 1.1s would be perfect, I wouldn't go higher, you want your center stone to pop, etc".
-The reason I ask is - would YOU ahve a new setting made? The Legacy is pretty similar to what I have now (band wise) - the one on the left, without the diamonds in the side:

http://pearls-necklaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Tiffany-Legacy-Engagement-Ring03.jpg

-If I'm having a new setting made - are their PS jewelers who will melt down my current ring and make me one? I *really* want my ring to include the diamonds and platinum (really, the RING) I already have. IDK.
-any other thoughts?
-what do YOU think would best make this ring pop? The diamond is 1.5 carat princess, and I don't want to detract from it - just have more finger coverage, without seeming like I'm trying to make my diamond look bigger. I want something delicate. :\

The guy at store 2 just put a bad taste in my mouth but I don't know if it's just because he was unpleasant and uninterested or if it's because he didn't tell me what I wanted to hear. ;-) But regardless - I don't feel like the legacy is what I asked for so it feels like he was uninterested in helping me find something that fits my specs.

I'm also going to this place tomorrow: http://quinnsgoldsmith.com/Index.asp?SetLoc=Occoquan who does custom jewelry and carries gabriel & Co.

Please help - I feel more overwhelmed and confused than I did at the beginning. :razz: I don't have an endless amount of money for this project, so scrapping my current setting is not an option (and my wedding ring is similar to it, though not a matching set, and I don't want a new wedding ring so whatever I end up with has to compliment it.)

wearing similar.jpg

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Well, since you don't want a tiffany-like setting, I wouldn't do that. You'll just end up wanting to change your ring again if you go against what you truly want.

I know you said scrapping the ring and starting over again is not an option - but if I were in your shoes that is what I would do. Save the money until it IS an option and start over completely. I don't think adding a halo to your ring will look good, but my perspective is that I favor delicate, clean looks. For me, the devil is in the details, and I don't think adding on to your current ring, even if it can be done, will look nearly as good as a proper halo setting starting from scratch.

In the picture you posted of your desired look, the shank and the amount of metal seem more delicate than your set. To balance out the metal in your ring, the halo will have to have a more metal too, and that'll look bulkier than the picture you posted. I'd definitely start over.

Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear, it's just my humble opinion. ;-)

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
As far as finding someone to melt down your ring and reuse the metal and components - I have zero experience with this, but I would think that would be much MORE expensive than a jeweler using the sheets, wires, etc they get from metal suppliers.

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Thanks! :) I'm not anti-new-setting; I'd just like my current metal/diamonds to be integrated (instead of me having a useless piece of platinum AND a new setting).

Any recs for settings you think would look nice? :)

Am I incorrect about the Tiffany? I've seen a couple here that look pretty and more subtle.

My current ring is pretty slight and delicate, the photos are just super dirty and dark and zoomed in.

It looks a lot like this on the side (minus the halo obviously, or this would not even be an issue :razz:): http://www.michaelcfina.com/mcfina_images/fluid/customers/c905/PL/04/70/CL/RO/04/21/generated/PL0470CLRO0421_default_1_250x250.jpg

I just took a cellphone pic of it, which I'll post if it ever sends to my email.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
:wavey: I am one of those who posted in your earlier threads about haloing your current ring. Even with all of the new information, I think I am still in the camp of starting over with a new ring. Quest has done some fantastic work, from what I have seen here on PS. So I would be confident about their work in general. Still, I just think when it comes to moving stones around and deconstructing and reconstructing, it's probably better to just start over. Too many variables in this situation to ensure a good outcome. Even with Pete's explanation that you provided here, I still don't understand how the melee in the shank of the ring will be matched to the smaller (I assume) melee that will be used in the halo, such that everything flows. I'd really have to see sketches or CADS to *get* that.

If you decide to go forward with the re-design, I think you should A) choose the jeweler that you have a good rapport with because in this situation communication and being on the same page is going to be key and B) make sure that your desires are clearly stated and translated into the final product (i.e., if you don't want a Tiffany Legacy style halo, then don't get one).

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Additionally, I should clarify - I can afford a whole new setting with new materials; I just don't *want* a new setting with new materials. For a number of reasons, my current setting has emotional meaning to me and I'm one of those people who assigns meaning to inanimate objects and I'll feel guilty if I am not wearing my current ring in *some* reincarnation, even if it's melted down and re-used. :razz:

totheleft

Rough_Rock
@Fridayschild - thanks for the input! I mostly meant the diamonds and platinum. (And I doubt I could get a decent, interesting, custom platinum ring with pave sides and micropave halo for $1500? If I can - it'd be worth considering, I guess, though I will feel guilty about my current setting just hanging out in a box diamondless. :razz:

totheleft

Rough_Rock
onedrop|1333739147|3165143 said:
:wavey: I am one of those who posted in your earlier threads about haloing your current ring. Even with all of the new information, I think I am still in the camp of starting over with a new ring. Quest has done some fantastic work, from what I have seen here on PS. So I would be confident about their work in general. Still, I just think when it comes to moving stones around and deconstructing and reconstructing, it's probably better to just start over. Too many variables in this situation to ensure a good outcome. Even with Pete's explanation that you provided here, I still don't understand how the melee in the shank of the ring will be matched to the smaller (I assume) melee that will be used in the halo, such that everything flows. I'd really have to see sketches or CADS to *get* that.

If you decide to go forward with the re-design, I think you should A) choose the jeweler that you have a good rapport with because in this situation communication and being on the same page is going to be key and B) make sure that your desires are clearly stated and translated into the final product (i.e., if you don't want a Tiffany Legacy style halo, then don't get one).

Thanks onedrop! Maybe my next step is to contact Quest and be honest with them - that I talked to another jeweler who said OMG NO WAY and wants to make a new ring but that I didn't like their proposal or customer service, and ask what Quest would recommend by way of a new (but similar) setting, potentially containing my current platinum/diamonds.

Thanks again :)

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
totheleft|1333739422|3165148 said:
onedrop|1333739147|3165143 said:

Thanks onedrop! Maybe my next step is to contact Quest and be honest with them - that I talked to another jeweler who said OMG NO WAY and wants to make a new ring but that I didn't like their proposal or customer service, and ask what Quest would recommend by way of a new (but similar) setting, potentially containing my current platinum/diamonds.

Thanks again :)

You're welcome! I think your latest idea of using the metal and diamonds from your old setting is a better option. Of course, just my opinion, but it just sounds "safer" to me in terms of you achieving the look that you want. I am really interested in seeing how it all turns out. Keep us posted!!!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think in this case I would just start over. It sounds like you have a very specific idea of what you want your halo to look like, or not to look like, and I think it would be much easier to find a good quality stock setting to use. I completely understand not wanting an empty setting just hanging out in your jewelry box, but I'm thinking that a gorgeous colored stone would look super in your ring. Who doesn't want a pretty RHR and and beautiful wedding set? :naughty:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh! Christina - awesome idea - use this setting for a lovely coloured stone (or save it for an OMC/OEC/AVC/AVR for an anniversary in the future perhaps???? - gives you the best of both worlds! )

Start with a vendor/bench person you LIKE! It isn't as frivillous a concept as you may think - you will be working closely on making the new setting to your exact wishes so you want someone you can spend time with, you trust, and who can interpret your vision with their skills. If you have the luxury of working with someone in your city, all the better - you can pop in (or not, as appropriate) and be in touch with the progress. However, there are amazing on line vendors that will work with you as well.

Could you approach the Quest about custom work?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I concur about getting a different setting for your princess, and turning the original e-ring into a right hand ring, maybe with a meaningful birthstone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results