shape
carat
color
clarity

my gamble on a 3+ carat OEC from ebay - need advice

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1393961642|3627361 said:
Do not mean to hijack, but have seen Dreamer post this twice. Maybe she will explain in another thread or maybe I missed it. I saw your thread that you did not send "George" to be graded at EGL because of the designation it wanted to use, so you were going to let it go. When did you find out your 1.89 OEC was SI2, K/L? Has that soured your experience with ebay? Is it worth even looking on there anymore?

I never did get an EGL report, but I have seen it loose as has my jeweler and also I had it appraised by another jeweler when set and the grades range from J-K-L and Si1-Si2. It faces up very white, but loose and face down you can see the body tint. I cannot see the inclusions even with a loupe, but there is a large white feather along a facet junction and also a very small, but noticable if you know where to look, black carbon spot right on the very very edge of the girdle that is covered by a prong. No idea what GIA would say, I love it for the cut, I don't care about clarity provided I can't see any inclusions, and the color is acceptable to me. I received a good price adjustment from the seller. Initially I got about 5% when I first unset it and my jeweler told me it was J/K Si1. Then when I got another appraisal in writing that said K-L Si2 I was able to get another 10%. So in the end I think I paid a fair price. It didn't sour me on ebay because I was satisfied with the resolution and I could have returned it if needed. I was much more soured by the private seller who sold me a diamond with a very large chip evident with the naked eye and then accused me of tryig to scam her when I complained :nono: Is it worth looking? I dunno. I have not really bought anything on ebay in about a year. I think the risks are the same as they always were. It's a crap shoot. It always was.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Dreamer for the explanation. I must have misunderstood the timeline and did not realize that you noticed both the discrepancies for clarity and color in the same time period. I read where you said the color was off, but I must have missed where it was clarity as well, until you made those last 2 posts about it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results