shape
carat
color
clarity

My Fun Little Pearl Projects

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I am getting ready to send out a pearl necklace that I made for a friend, so I thought I'd show it (and a couple of other things) before it goes.

These are just cheapy little petal pearls that I got at a bead show, it's sort of a no-brainer to make petals into flowers. If you decide you want to do this yourself, the key is the pearl selection, they need to be drilled through a REALLY skinny part of the pearl.

pearlsproj1.jpg

pearlproj4.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This is to show off my DD's new skill, pearl knotting! This is very handy for me :bigsmile: She taught herself how to do it after watching a couple of youtube videos and having an infinite amount of patience. She's done a couple of standard size strands, but this little 4.5 mm strand was a real challenge. She took it apart and reknotted it three times. I think it turned out great and the gold silk was a special request from me. The knots are imperceptably tiny in RL.

The earrings are a pair of quickies that are going into the box for my friend.

pearlproj5.jpg

pearlproj3.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Last picture is my ratty little 1950's watch. I picked potato pearls because they sit flat on the wrist. Also, there's a double strand bracelet that I just strung. It took forever to put the shapes in an order that I liked.

pearlproj2.jpg

They all look great! I normally like just matching pearls/ thread but the gold looks fabulous. What an awesome look! :appl:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

iLander, I am not a fan of petal pearls on strands. BUT, I fell in love with your flowers. Can you post the back side to show how you put it together. OHHHHHHHHHH, I love the flowers. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

How old is your daughter? She has lots of patience at a young age, I guess, 18-24? Fabulous work, ilander.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
bean|1292772949|2800921 said:
They all look great! I normally like just matching pearls/ thread but the gold looks fabulous. What an awesome look! :appl:

THANKS, Bean! :wavey:

i like the gold because it blends into my skin, so the pearls look like they are floating individually on my neck. It's my go-to strand so that I can wear a touch of pearls with T-shirts and shorts.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1292774645|2800939 said:
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

iLander, I am not a fan of petal pearls on strands. BUT, I fell in love with your flowers. Can you post the back side to show how you put it together. OHHHHHHHHHH, I love the flowers. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

How old is your daughter? She has lots of patience at a young age, I guess, 18-24? Fabulous work, ilander.

Awww, thanks, HHP! You're so nice. I've attached a quickie picture of the back, but I don't know how much it will help. I went to a lot of trouble to hide "the works" :naughty: Its an assemblage of crimp tubes, all hidden under the long silver beads. Don't attempt to make it out of actual wire. FLEXIBLE beading wire, NOT the type used for wire wrapping, is what you need. I used Soft-flex Fine. It took me all the live-long day to do, so be prepared to be frustrated! It's basically this:
1) String five petals, make a knot REALLY tight. Your flower is done! If you're like me, it will annoy you when they don't fall quite right and you will make a jillion flowers before you like 3. Thread a tail through the middle, slide on a round pearl, take out through the middle again. Knot with the other tail.
2)Make 3 flowers, string the tail of the wires through the beads, they will keep the flowers apart. It takes some thinking to be sure they fall in the correct order. Use crimper tubes to attach the flowers, making sure all ---here's the hard part-- connections are tight and the tubes are INSIDE the beads.
3) String baroque pearls as "leaves" on the 2 remaining tails, (you cut off the other ones at the crimps) use a headpin for the bottom "leaf". I had to use a jewelers magnifier to make this. Have fun!

My DD is actually a bit younger than that, but she is an artistic person by nature and has her father's ability to teach herself anything! I'm very proud of everything she does. :praise:

pearlprojBACK.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
very nicely done! your friend will be getting a very unique and cool pearl set.

MoZo

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I am so impressed. :appl: :appl: :appl: just beautiful. Your friend is a lucky woman to recieve this.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very, very nice pearl flowers, iLander. I think it is great to show what we can do ourselves with pearls and some beading supplies and thread.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
THANKS, GUYS! :wavey:

@MOZO: I don't think I can keep up with how well you treat YOUR friends, Mozo! I still love that CC necklace you bought for your friend. :D

@4Ranch: I am always impressed with your colllection, 4RG! If you think it will help, I will send it with a note reminding her how lucky she is! :lol:

@FlyGirl: Well you started it with your beautiful earrings, FG! I hope to see other projects from other PSer's. :appl:

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
wonderful! 8)

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Damn, iLander, I'm totally impressed. You can actually DO things! Yourself! That always impresses me, as I am generally totally helpless when it comes to crafting things with my hands. I really like the watch/pearl bracelet - that is very cool, and I concur with the poster who commented about how nice the gold thread looks with the white pearls. That's something I don't think I've ever thought about but seeing your photos here makes me wonder what other colour combos (thread and pearl colours) would look nice.

I wish I could make my own stuff!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i note that catherine uses color silk with many of her strands.......take a look at her pictures and descriptions.

and i so agree that i am envious of iLander and her ability to put things like this together. i am totally challenged in this area.

MoZo

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful work, you've got talent iLander. :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@mynattk: Thank you, you're sweet!

@whitehotblank : You can do it too, I'm pretty low on the coordination scale, and I fuddled through. You didn't see the 47 thousand rejects on these projects. ;))

@MOZO: At the bead shows they sell so many different colors of pearl silk, I couldn't resist asking my DD to do something different.

@Lovinggems: My DD's the one with real talent, I'm just along for the ride. :bigsmile:

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
What a pretty present! You and your daughter did an amazing job!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,
That is stunning. You should sell on Etsy. I would buy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results