shape
carat
color
clarity

My friend at the Rainbow Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sink, Dallas, 2006

Jordan-2006_02_08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The posts, calls, texts and emails have moved us, even if we didn’t have words to reciprocate until now.

For those who want to know, it was a difficult but positive final chapter. He led an active life, even his last few years, but on Saturday he started having trouble with his breathing. We took him to pet emergency, thinking upper respiratory, and they did IV and antibiotics for 24 hours. We visited Sunday morning and he seemed to be on the mend, but took a turn for the worse before we returned in the afternoon. Upon further examination the doctor said there was a lot of fluid around his lungs. They drained it, but his lungs and heart were struggling and all indications pointed to the end of the road. We chose to bring him home.

We put blankets on the floor and slept in his room Sunday night. He improved then, getting up to drink water, laying by our heads and purring, then going to drink again. I think he was happy to be at home. In the morning we went to his regular vet who said his breathing was ok for now, but confirmed the end was near. All we could do was watch and wait. Jordan spent Monday slowly but deliberately going about his normal day. He lay on his chair in the morning sun, came to sit with me during lunch, slept under the table in the afternoon and spent time with Angela when she got home. We spoiled him with attention and he watched evening TV with us like usual. At bedtime he walked slowly to his room. Near midnight his breathing started to labor again. We comforted him but we could see pain in his eyes. We put on clothes to drive him in the clinic and he passed in Angela’s arms. He went peacefully. Now my little friend is gone.

One call we received is too extraordinary not to share. Before bed I returned some neglected emails and mentioned Jordan’s passing to those who knew him. My phone rang at 3:40 AM, only four hours after Jordan had passed. It was Garry from Australia. Last June the Holloways were in our home and Garry spent time on the couch with Jordan. I gifted them with a special bottle of wine that same day. Remarkably, of all nights, they chose his last night to take that bottle out. Garry says Drena grabbed it purely by chance, as he had been planning to save it for a special occasion. They were into their event and the wine had been poured when Garry read my email on his phone. He called to share the moment and they lifted a glass in Jordan’s memory on the far side of the world. Some things are truly amazing.

Jordan-2008_02_13.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John,

That was indeed amazing that Garry and Drena chose that particular night to open Jordan's wine, however I don't believe it was coincidence -but friends comforting friends across the miles in honour of a very special companion who wanted them to celebrate his life, and that was a very special gift from him in enabling them to do so.

Cheers Jordan!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
His last day, in his favorite chair.

Relationships with pets can become so personal. Sometimes, without control or understanding, our companions even become part of our identities. I don’t need to describe what Jordan meant to us, because so many of you understand. Thank you for helping to honor my friend, and all of our wonderful pets.

Jordan-2009_02_09.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are wonderful pictures John, thank you so much for sharing them with us.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you M''Lady.

I am glad to share the pictures. Life goes on, but I think the happiness these little guys bring in their time at our sides deserves some reflection.

Date: 2/11/2009 12:59:19 PM
Author: Lorelei
John,

That was indeed amazing that Garry and Drena chose that particular night to open Jordan''s wine, however I don''t believe it was coincidence -but friends comforting friends across the miles in honour of a very special companion who wanted them to celebrate his life, and that was a very special gift from him in enabling them to do so.

Cheers Jordan!
Yeah, regardless of belief sometimes there''s too much alignment of forces to treat an event as happenstance. I choose to believe my cat''s freed spirit compelled them to drink "his wine" that night. Certainly he recognized the significance of a toast, considering how many he witnessed over the years. If he had thumbs he could have been a sommelier.

Cheers to you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 1:12:55 PM
Author: John Pollard
Thank you M'Lady.

I am glad to share the pictures. Life goes on, but I think the happiness these little guys bring in their time at our sides deserves some reflection.

John,

That was indeed amazing that Garry and Drena chose that particular night to open Jordan's wine, however I don't believe it was coincidence -but friends comforting friends across the miles in honour of a very special companion who wanted them to celebrate his life, and that was a very special gift from him in enabling them to do so.

Cheers Jordan!
Yeah, regardless of belief sometimes there's too much alignment of forces to treat an event as happenstance. I choose to believe my cat's freed spirit compelled them to drink 'his wine' that night. Certainly he recognized the significance of a toast, considering how many he witnessed over the years. If he had thumbs he could have been a sommelier.

Cheers to you.
You are very welcome friend!

And I absolutely agree that some reflection is necessary at times like this. I fully believe Jordan's spirit did influence Garry and Drena to drink his special wine! I have also been blessed to have this type of experience, one of which I will share with you sometime.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I am so very sorry to read of the loss of this special cat. I can see from the photos how wonderful he was. It makes me so sad that he has left you. Thank you for posting his beautiful photos. This loss really touches me; I can see he was totally unique.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
John,

I can not begin to tell you how sad I am about your cat, Jordan. I have been following this unfortunate event since he became ill and praying for a different outcome.

My heart is warmed though to see the tremendous outpouring of love and support that you are receiving here from your many friends and associates. It reaffirms my belief that this is a caring community and you are one of its most treasured members.

I hope that the love that is pouring your way will in some way alleviate the pain that you and Angela are now feeling.

Wink

P.S. I love the Jordan''s look of total ownership of the sink. No way were you going to wash your hands there at that time...

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 12:54:50 PM
The posts, calls, texts and emails have moved us, even if we didn’t have words to reciprocate until now.

For those who want to know, it was a difficult but positive final chapter. He led an active life, even his last few years, but on Saturday he started having trouble with his breathing. We took him to pet emergency, thinking upper respiratory, and they did IV and antibiotics for 24 hours. We visited Sunday morning and he seemed to be on the mend, but took a turn for the worse before we returned in the afternoon. Upon further examination the doctor said there was a lot of fluid around his lungs. They drained it, but his lungs and heart were struggling and all indications pointed to the end of the road. We chose to bring him home.

We put blankets on the floor and slept in his room Sunday night. He improved then, getting up to drink water, laying by our heads and purring, then going to drink again. I think he was happy to be at home. In the morning we went to his regular vet who said his breathing was ok for now, but confirmed the end was near. All we could do was watch and wait. Jordan spent Monday slowly but deliberately going about his normal day. He lay on his chair in the morning sun, came to sit with me during lunch, slept under the table in the afternoon and spent time with Angela when she got home. We spoiled him with attention and he watched evening TV with us like usual. At bedtime he walked slowly to his room. Near midnight his breathing started to labor again. We comforted him but we could see pain in his eyes. We put on clothes to drive him in the clinic and he passed in Angela’s arms. He went peacefully. Now my little friend is gone.

One call we received is too extraordinary not to share. Before bed I returned some neglected emails and mentioned Jordan’s passing to those who knew him. My phone rang at 3:40 AM, only four hours after Jordan had passed. It was Garry from Australia. Last June the Holloways were in our home and Garry spent time on the couch with Jordan. I gifted them with a special bottle of wine that same day. Remarkably, of all nights, they chose his last night to take that bottle out. Garry says Drena grabbed it purely by chance, as he had been planning to save it for a special occasion. They were into their event and the wine had been poured when Garry read my email on his phone. He called to share the moment and they lifted a glass in Jordan’s memory on the far side of the world. Some things are truly amazing.
Well, so much for my mascara!
39.gif

John, thank you for sharing that wonderful story about Garry''s phone call. I am absolutely SURE that it was not a coincidence. Hugs to you and Angela . . . you guys were wonderful parents to Jordan, and you gave him the best life any cat could ever ask for.
emrose.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I''m so terribly sorry to read all this. My heart goes out to you. Your handsome cat is waiting in heaven for you now. As an animal (and specifically cat) lover, my heart really breaks for you.

I''ll keep you in my thoughts.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I''m very sorry to read about Jordan. He looked like such a sweet cat. It''s so hard to lose our four legged best friends. Been there, done that, and it is heartbreaking.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2009 1:12:55 PM
Thank you M''Lady.

John,

That was indeed amazing that Garry and Drena chose that particular night to open Jordan''s wine, however I don''t believe it was coincidence -but friends comforting friends across the miles in honour of a very special companion who wanted them to celebrate his life, and that was a very special gift from him in enabling them to do so.

Cheers Jordan!
Yeah, regardless of belief sometimes there''s too much alignment of forces to treat an event as happenstance. I choose to believe my cat''s freed spirit compelled them to drink ''his wine'' that night. Certainly he recognized the significance of a toast, considering how many he witnessed over the years. If he had thumbs he could have been a sommelier.

Cheers to you.

Here is more background:

After an early play (Grace, which is a religious themed play involving a mourning family) we went to a little Greek cafe and when seated I downloaded emails and only opened yours – it seems so co-incidental because I had not planned to have your wine – Drena had grabbed it from the bench top where it sat since Saturday night.

My cousin Louise and her hubby Carl (stem cell scientists) came over for dinner and bought the main course with them. They both worked for a couple of stints in USA - Boston – and both are food and wine junkies.

I had out a chatenuef dupape and yours (because of the US connection. Carl had cooked chook pie (yum) and we reasoned the french would be lighter to go with the chicken. (the aperitif was Peter Lehmann Black Queen which we bought in South Australia while watching Lance Armstrong in a bike race last month).

So hence your wine was still on the bench and Drena grabbed it before we left home for the theatre.

As mentioned I had planned it always as a special occasion wine. So can you see why it was actually rather spooky (in a nice way) that these events came together as they did.
I was probably over the legal limit driving home
23.gif
but we were not about to waste a drop - even if that meant being taken Prisoner. It was lovely with the stuffed peppers.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
John, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how terribly hard it is to let them go, and your story brought tears to my eyes too.
emrose.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
John I have an older male Persian as well and I love that photo you posted of Jordan on the couch to me that is so quintessentially sums up their loveable nature, they look grumpy but are really just so happily content especially when their loved ones are near.

He looks like such a wonderfully loveable and happy fellow, who had a fantastic life.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry for your loss John, I would like to share this poem with you.

Weep not for me though I am gone,
Into that gentle night.
Grieve if you will, but not for long,
Upon my soul''s sweet flight.

I am at peace, my soul''s at rest,
There is no need for tears.
For with your love I was so blessed
For all those many years.

There is no pain, I suffer not,
The fear now all is gone.
Put now these things out of your thoughts,
In your memory I live on.

Remember not my fight for breath,
Remember not the strife,
Please do not dwell upon my death,
But celebrate my life.

Author Constance Jenkins

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2009 2:31:37 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Here is more background:

After an early play (Grace, which is a religious themed play involving a mourning family) we went to a little Greek cafe and when seated I downloaded emails and only opened yours – it seems so co-incidental because I had not planned to have your wine – Drena had grabbed it from the bench top where it sat since Saturday night.
My cousin Louise and her hubby Carl (stem cell scientists) came over for dinner and bought the main course with them. They both worked for a couple of stints in USA - Boston – and both are food and wine junkies. [/p]

I had out a chatenuef dupape and yours (because of the US connection. Carl had cooked chook pie (yum) and we reasoned the french would be lighter to go with the chicken. (the aperitif was Peter Lehmann Black Queen which we bought in South Australia while watching Lance Armstrong in a bike race last month).

So hence your wine was still on the bench and Drena grabbed it before we left home for the theatre.

As mentioned I had planned it always as a special occasion wine. So can you see why it was actually rather spooky (in a nice way) that these events came together as they did.
I was probably over the legal limit driving home
23.gif
but we were not about to waste a drop - even if that meant being taken Prisoner. It was lovely with the stuffed peppers.
It was the perfect special occasion Garry.

It was also uncommon for my phone to be on at that hour. With the cat-astrophe happening I simply forgot to turn it off and left it in the bedroom earlier. Small blessings, all.

By the way, your family isn''t short on ambition are they?[/i]

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi sir John I was just thinking about you then saw you had posted in here.

The pictures of him in the sinks cracked me up.
It sounds like he had a wonderful life :}

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2009 5:25:16 AM
Author: MishB
I am sorry for your loss John, I would like to share this poem with you.

Weep not for me though I am gone,
Into that gentle night.
Grieve if you will, but not for long,
Upon my soul''s sweet flight.

I am at peace, my soul''s at rest,
There is no need for tears.
For with your love I was so blessed
For all those many years.

There is no pain, I suffer not,
The fear now all is gone.
Put now these things out of your thoughts,
In your memory I live on.

Remember not my fight for breath,
Remember not the strife,
Please do not dwell upon my death,
But celebrate my life.

Author Constance Jenkins
Wow. Trying to man up, but I need a tissue here. I immediately emailed this to the wife.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mister Jordan had no hesitation at treating everyone with personalized affection.

In that spirit thank you so much to everyone who posted, called or mailed. Lorelei, Skippy, Def-May, OctoberBride, tlh, bee, Coati, Patiently, Maise, DeeJay, Kaleigh, MC, Dreamgirl, Steel, Irishgrrrl, tradergirl, IWPA, mrssalvo, DebShine, Karl, Musey, geckodani, Dana, Lauren, Catmom, Kelli, VRB, monarch, Gypsy, gwendolyn, AmberGretchen, Zoe, DiamanteBlu, DS, FlyGirl, ladypirate, Haven, Sarah, Btrflygrl, thing2, Miranda, Gayle, isaku, dachsie, Ellen, FireGoddess, Dani, MGR, kittybean, Lynn, Deelight, Mochi, scarleta, LindaW, LAJennifer, Beacon, Wink, IowaLizzy, Cind11, Garry,. Niccia, Deelight and MishB,

Every post has been meaningful to us and close family & friends to whom I sent this link. You have the gratitude of Jordan''s fan club.

And from someone who rarely uses hangout, I owe you. Your words made the last couple of days easier. Thank you!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2009 12:45:35 PM
Author: strmrdr
Hi sir John I was just thinking about you then saw you had posted in here.

The pictures of him in the sinks cracked me up.
It sounds like he had a wonderful life :}
Thanks Karl. He was a true character and yeah, he had a great life with a lot of attention.
21.gif

We were thankful to be there and comfort him at the end.
It doesn''t begin to payback how often he did the same for us.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Jordan sounds like a very majestic cat. He certainly looked handsome in his pictures
1.gif

Thanks for sharing him John.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I am so sorry
7.gif

What a handsome sweetheart he was.
We lost our beloved Lab in July, and I know how heart wrenching this feels.
I have been having really vivid dreams about her lately, and it has been so nice.
I hope that Jordan visits you in your dreams.
So sorry for your loss.
RIP Jordan.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m catching up on this thread with tears streaming. Our fur babies do so much to enrich our lives, comfort us when we are down, even protect us in the face of grave danger. I''m so sorry your friend has departed.

We lost our golden retriever, Scottie, right before we moved in the end of June. He was an amazing dog, and could always be counted on for a laugh, a hug, or protection. He blew out his ACL chasing a bear away from the house. He was very protective of his clan, and refused to sleep in the house during the warm months. He preferred a nice earthen bed in the front of the house, where he had a great view of the surrounding woods heading down the mountain. One night in the week hours, a bear managed to come up and around from the back. Scottie was woken and immediately went on guard. I woke to the sound of Scottie fiercely barking behind the house like I''ve never heard before, and the sound of a 600 pound grunting bear running past my bedroom windows. Scottie flushed him away from the house, and literally leapt off of a 9 foot tall rock wall to push him back to the woods. Busted up knee and all, he kept running. Now that''s loyalty! he came back a bit bloodied and limping, but proud of himself.

His knee was never right again, despite surgery and therapy. He would have turned 11 years old on July 11th of last summer, but his health took a turn for the bad, and like many cowboys of folklore he chose to go off into the woods to meet his end during the only few minutes I left him alone that day. It felt like a dearest family member had died.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to have missed this thread until now, but John, the way you speak about Jordan is so beautiful that I can''t seem to stop crying...he was very loved and I''m so glad that he made such an impact on your life. Thanks for sharing your story about Garry, that is such an amazing coincidence and is very special. My thoughts are with you.

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Oh Good Heavens. I''m all weepy now. It does get better, really.

I had my cat, Itty, for 14 years - not too dang bad for an indoor/outdoor cat! She was buried with her favorite pink blanket that she kind of "stole" (Itty was ALWAYS the queen of the house) from my first child after my first child was born. She also died in that blanket with me holding her saying good bye and thank-you for being with me for so long and through so much.

Our pets - our friends - take so much of our love with them when they go because they were willing to absorb so much of it on earth.

I miss Itty and her quirky, snotty ways. But I''m soooo glad she was mine, for a while, so that I could learn about them! We all still talk about Queen Itty.

Mister Jordan, will hopefully teach Itty some manners up there! :)

Boy - am I missing Itty right now. Take care John!

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
And Wink''s Elf - love your story about Scottie... they really are like that.

I was very sick for awhile, and our Labrador Retriever, Boomer, who was HUGE and clutzy and had WAY to much puppy in him for WAY too long, became the gentlest of souls around me. It was the most protective feeling to have him there while I was sick. Even when he jumped/crawled into bed with me, I could barely feel the bed move.

OK - sorry to threadjack, but now I''m just reminiscing on my friends...

Back to Jordan, sorry John!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
No love is as pure and uncomplicated as that from an animal.
so sorry to read of loss

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
John,
I''m sorry.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
John, I''m so sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results