shape
carat
color
clarity

My first sapphire project....with Jeff White!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 7:42:13 PM
Author: Chrono
I looked all over and did not see what''s the current carat weight and dimension. Seriously, the colour now is fantastic and the cutting not to shabby. If it''s a large stone and the loss is quite a bit, I would opt to leave it as it is. I love that soft velvety look. Are you willing to risk obvious zoning in addition to paying to get a smaller stone?
Hi Chrono, sorry for leaving out the important stuff.
23.gif
The stone is currently 2.58 carats and about 7mm - Jeff estimates it will end up about 2-2.3 carats and about 6.5mm or so.

I really love the color but part of me is lusting to see what the stone would look like without the extinction. I don''t really see a ton of zoning in the stone now but Jeff wanted me to be aware that once the facets are more symmetrical, the slight zoning could be more apparent.

Honestly, I have no experience with colored gems and part of me wishes I''d never stumbled across Pricescope as I wouldn''t be obsessing over tiny little rocks all day!
26.gif

Diana

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, a 0.5 mm loss... I''m not seeing a whole lot of extinction and the zoning is hard to spot right now, which I would be tempted to leave it as it is. Is the stone with you right now or with Jeff?

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 5:46:24 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 3/13/2009 5:38:20 PM
Author: DianaBanana
Last picture....I''ve changed my mind on the setting...this is what I''m thinking of and have already received a quote from Leon
36.gif

This is my very first colored stone project and it''s gonna be a pricey one! Your thoughts and honest opinions are most welcome.
ha, this setting looks familiar as I was contemplating it for my fakey pad. I''ve seen the singlestone one in person, and I have to say the photos don''t do it justice - just in case you haven''t made your mind up yet.

Sapphire looks lovely but I am no expert so I don''t have much advice...

ETA, also wanted to add the SS one is very comfortable to wear. Something that may be a factor for you.
Ha ha TG! Do you get the sense that I''m your ring stalker? Cause I am!
3.gif
Not to freak you out or anything but I was also considering a James Meyer but I don''t think it will give me the finger coverage I''m after. Hee hee!

Thanks for your input on the SS ring because comfort is a factor for me - my engagement ring is a milgrained knife edge Tacori and it''s not very comfortable. The Leon is so expensive so I will probably keep searching for a while and hope the Canadian dollar improves - exchange is a killer right now.
38.gif
Actually, I''ll probably just wait until you choose a setting for your pad and then I''ll get the same thing. Ha!
2.gif

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 8:33:20 PM
Author: Chrono
Oh boy, a 0.5 mm loss... I''m not seeing a whole lot of extinction and the zoning is hard to spot right now, which I would be tempted to leave it as it is. Is the stone with you right now or with Jeff?
It''s with Jeff....0.5mm is pretty big, huh? It doesn''t sound big but this size chart gives me a good visual picture: http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/actual-diamond-size.pdf

I think I should probably see the stone in person before making a decision, would that be your advice?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s what I would do if I were undecided - I''d see the stone myself to see if I can live the the existing cut (extinction, zoning, small window etc). I''d play with it indoors (fluorescent, halogen and incandescent) and outdoors (direct and indirect light). To me, a 0.5 mm difference is noticeable because I had a diamond upgrade last year and I noticed the 0.5 mm right away.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
0.5mm in diameter is a big difference visually. And the sapphire is pretty as is with a beautiful color. So my vote will be - don''t cut it! If the mounting doesn''t leave the pavilion open, I doubt how big a difference you will see (recut vs. as is) when mounted?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
As I posted above, my sapphire is a JW recut.

Having seen both the ''before'' and ''after'', I have to say the recut was absolutely worth it.

My husband comments constantly about how it shoots arrows at him. The cut is spectacular.

It lost approx .5mm but the cut gives it such depth and dimension.

I have not regretted getting a recut.

The stone you''re looking at is a beautiful colour. Some would be good with it as is. Me, I would be very keen to see him perform his magic on it. He is masterful.

LS

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not knowledgeable enough to comment on the recut issue (though I think the stone is already lovely) but I think that Leon setting is stunning! It brings to mind a gorgeous estate ring with a whole history behind it - I think a sapphire would look amazing in it.
1.gif

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
I''ve decided to go with a pavillion re-cut....while it won''t give me the ideal cut Jeff White stone I had in mind, it should close the window and preserve the size which is important to me for this project.

I''ve attached the before pictures....the re-cut should be done next week, I can''t wait!!

Loose sapphire collage.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 9:07:51 PM
I''ve decided to go with a pavillion re-cut....while it won''t give me the ideal cut Jeff White stone I had in mind, it should close the window and preserve the size which is important to me for this project.

I''ve attached the before pictures....the re-cut should be done next week, I can''t wait!!
36.gif

Good Call. I''m sure you''ll be very pleased!

LS

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a good compromise to help not lose any size! (who wants that?!). It''s already gorgeous. I can''t wait to see it after Jeff cleans it up a bit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s just perfect. You still get the size and most of the weight, while the modified recut will give it a lot of brilliance with minimal risk.
36.gif

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies....I thought it was a great compromise and I''m so glad he suggested it. He is wonderful to work with, I''m sure I was trying his patience but he never let it show. Ha ha.
12.gif

Here is his example of a pavillion re-cut on a pink spinel - not absolute perfection but pretty darn nice!

Pink Spinel re-cut

Sometimes pretty darn nice is good enough
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great compromise! I love the stone as it, but I can''t wait to see it once it''s been recut!!! (Not to mention the setting!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff is an absolute pleasure to work with; super nice and extra patient. You''ll enjoy this project.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m so excited to see how this project comes out - this stone and those settings look FANTASTIC
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:48:37 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
I''m so excited to see how this project comes out - this stone and those settings look FANTASTIC
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Ditto - that colour is unbelievable!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That is a good compromise, that color is so great and I am sure it was wonderful

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Can hardly wait!!!

LS

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
I can see how this process can become addicting...beautiful stone, beautiful setting....repeat....beautiful stone, beautiful setting...repeat!!
9.gif

Here is the photo collage I sent to Leon...I''ve finally decided on a style...I''m going for his Montassier look but with a single row of pave and with the halo extending all the way around the center stone. Missrocks'' beautiful ring is a big inspiration.

Am I crazy to spend twice as much on the setting as I did on the stone?
23.gif
Am I the only one who is planning to fudge the cost of this project to her hubby?
11.gif

Collage for Leon1.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope about the cost of the setting vs the stone. And nope, I''ll fudge the costs of gemstone projects in the future too.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 12:34:07 AM
I can see how this process can become addicting...beautiful stone, beautiful setting....repeat....beautiful stone, beautiful setting...repeat!!
9.gif

Here is the photo collage I sent to Leon...I''ve finally decided on a style...I''m going for his Montassier look but with a single row of pave and with the halo extending all the way around the center stone. Missrocks'' beautiful ring is a big inspiration.

Am I crazy to spend twice as much on the setting as I did on the stone?
23.gif
Am I the only one who is planning to fudge the cost of this project to her hubby?
11.gif
Beautiful inspiration pics! Are you going to do platinum throughout?

I think my setting was about 1.6 times the cost of the stone.

Sweet DH didn''t see ''one invoice'' because I had the one from Jeff, and a second from WF...but of course once I had it appraised here in Canada he said "holee sh*t" and has been good ever since....nice guy!

LS

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 1:14:13 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Nope about the cost of the setting vs the stone. And nope, I''ll fudge the costs of gemstone projects in the future too.
haha.. my hubby makes more than me right now, but give me a few years and I''ll be the one bringing home the $$$. How can he possibly object?
11.gif
(He knows little shiny rocks make me happy anyway, and we all know how important it is to have a happy woman!)

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Diana- I love the inspiration collage you sent to Leon. It''s going to be one dynamite ring
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is going to be one TDF ring.
30.gif
I love the two tone LM ring as well, it''s exquisite. You must take lots and lots of pictures of the final result. I can''t wait to see how Jeff cuts the stone.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
This ring is going to be beautiful

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 5:30:26 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 3/27/2009 1:14:13 AM
Author: FrekeChild
haha.. my hubby makes more than me right now, but give me a few years and I''ll be the one bringing home the $$$. How can he possibly object?
11.gif
(He knows little shiny rocks make me happy anyway, and we all know how important it is to have a happy woman!)
WERD!

My Dad always says . . . "Happy wife, happy life!!!"
11.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 5:50:15 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

WERD!

My Dad always says . . . ''Happy wife, happy life!!!''
11.gif
Smart! Sounds like he imparted this wisdom to Weston, too!

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
The re-cut of my stone is complete - it''s gone from 2.58 carats to 2.34 with no change to the overall dimensions. I can''t wait to see it in person!!!

Jeff is the man!
36.gif

before and after sapp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results