shape
carat
color
clarity

My first sapphire project....with Jeff White!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
After serious consideration, I decided against going with Jeff White''s padparadscha. The cut was beautiful but after seeing a hand shot, I knew that the shape wasn''t for me....rounds just aren''t my thing I guess. I''ve put my pad search on a low simmer, I guess I''ll just have to be patient and wait for the right one to come along.

I enquired with Jeff about blue rough instead and he is going to recut this cushion - I think it''s gorgeous as is, can you image what he can do with it?? He thinks it will end up to be between 1.5 and 1.8 carats - about 6.5mm. A litle smaller than I''d like but it leaves a little left in the bank in case the perfect pad comes along...

Any thoughts?

Blue Sapph Cushion before.jpg

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
This is the setting I''m thinking of after seeing it in TravelingGirl''s pad thread.....I think the claws need more of a Leonesque look though.

MR318.jpg

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
test test

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 11:40:15 PM
Author:DianaBanana
After serious consideration, I decided against going with Jeff White's padparadscha. The cut was beautiful but after seeing a hand shot, I knew that the shape wasn't for me....rounds just aren't my thing I guess. I've put my pad search on a low simmer, I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for the right one to come along.

I enquired with Jeff about blue rough instead and he is going to recut this cushion - I think it's gorgeous as is, can you image what he can do with it?? He thinks it will end up to be between 1.5 and 1.8 carats - about 6.5mm. A litle smaller than I'd like but it leaves a little left in the bank in case the perfect pad comes along...

Any thoughts?
What is the carat weight and mm size of the stone now? I don't think it's cut that badly as it is (for a sapphire), and if you stand to lose a lot of carat weight, you might want to rethink a recut. Lovely stone. It does have a small window, but that would close up more in a setting.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I agree with TL, that stone looks great as is!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
It''s a gorgeous stone, intense blue.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 11:47:28 PM
Author: m76steve
test test
I don't get this Steve - what are you testing?
If you write an actual reply in the thread, that would also suffice as a test, no?

I may agree with TL Diana, I think the stone looks quite nice already - but if a recut is what your heart desires..
I think it will look lovely in that setting choice too.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yum I love that intense blue! The cut seems nice to me too - how big is it now? I like that setting a lot, but totally agree - it can go for some claw-ing a la Monsieur Mege
1.gif

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to arjunajane-very sorry for mixup-the system im on for pc constantly drops off line-dont know if comming or going or posting at times-sorry....

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous stone....I love it, as is, too!
30.gif

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe she wants to remove the extinction in the stone?

It is a good idea to find out its current measurement and carat weight, then determine its potential weight loss. It would be a shame to have it significantly smaller after the recut. Is the stone unheated?

As for the setting, it's gorgeous!
30.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
The stone (even if left as is) and that setting will make a very striking combo. I really like the vintagy style of that setting. Definite heirloom potential.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very nice stone. I do agree with Chrono, I would find out how much weight would be removed from a re-cut

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
I''m just waiting to hear back from Jeff regarding the stone''s current size - he did tell me that it''s unheated and the price is great.
36.gif

I know that color is subjective and a personal choice......however....what are your thoughts on the color?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think the color looks AMAZING, and that setting would show it off perfectly.

I know you said its a little smaller than what you wanted, but I think the halo will add enough extra diameter that it should end up looking like a good size (IMO) - besides, I''d way rather have intense, beautiful blue color than have a larger stone with less beautiful color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tioDate: 2/15/2009 2:12:18 PM
Author: DianaBanana
I'm just waiting to hear back from Jeff regarding the stone's current size - he did tell me that it's unheated and the price is great.
36.gif

I know that color is subjective and a personal choice......however....what are your thoughts on the coor?
It's not top gem color, but it's a very nice colored sapphire. It also depends on the pricepoint, and truthfully, it's so difficult to tell from one picture. I just hope it doesn't go extinct in various light setups. I would also ask Jeff not only about tha about that, but the saturation and if there is any grey modifier. Is it Ceylon or Madagascar material? Just curious.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I think the color is very nice, and I can understand wanting to eliminate some of the extinction if weight loss is minimal. Lovely stone regardless! And I adore that SS mounting!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS on such an exciting project!

My sapphire is a recut from JW as well. It went from a 2.86 ct (8.04mm diameter) to a 2.07 (7.6 mm diameter).

So while I lost some carat weight, not much diameter in the stone was cut.

The difference pre-and post cutting was amazing. I have before and after pics if you are interested in seeing them.

LS

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
TL - it''s from Sri Lanka. While the color isn''t quite perfection, I''m really drawn to it - but of course you''re right, it''s only one picture. I''m thinking this stone will probably be the first of several (thanks PS) and at the mid $2000 price range, I think it will be a great start to my collection.
2.gif

Still waiting to hear from JW regarding the current size of the stone. Any thoughts on what the stone would look like once re-cut? Reduced extinction? More lively?

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
LS - I''ve already stocked all of the threads on your beautiful stone - the recut pictures are amazing and the finished product is a stunner. I hold you partially responsible for the sapphire quest I''m on! Hee hee.

41.gif

Correct me if I''m wrong, but on my monitor it looks like the color of your native cut stone is quite similar to the cushion that JW is going to recut for me? If so, do you think the recut would be similar color to your beautiful Blueberry?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 6:28:41 PM
LS - I''ve already stocked all of the threads on your beautiful stone - the recut pictures are amazing and the finished product is a stunner. I hold you partially responsible for the sapphire quest I''m on! Hee hee.

41.gif

Correct me if I''m wrong, but on my monitor it looks like the color of your native cut stone is quite similar to the cushion that JW is going to recut for me? If so, do you think the recut would be similar color to your beautiful Blueberry?
D*MN ate my post...let me try again:

I blame a few others here in Coloured Stones for my hunt so welcome to the crowd!
31.gif

As far as colour goes, it''s hard to tell. Your best bet would be to ask Jeff how the cushion colour (it''s gorgeous!) compares to my round. You can tell him it was LostSapphire, (a.k.a. Catherine in Canada, he''ll remember). He can give you an idea.

Another thing he did that was a big help was to photograph the stone on the back of his wife''s hand in outside lighting conditions. That really made a difference as to my sense of the colour. I purchased the stone without actually seeing it: we were able to communicate extremely well, plus, I trust his eye IMPLICTLY.

I also sent him this website link, and asked him to tell me where on the spectrum the stone sat, colourwise. It''s a bit simplistic as far as blues went, but it really helped me sort out which stone to go with. The first few he suggested were too light blue for me (ie: close to "Prince of Wales" blue). I told him I wanted something at "Camelot" or "Royal Blue" and once we narrowed the field down, it was easy from there.

http://crossjewelers.com/sapphire/HowToBuyAsapphire.htm

I''m glad to hear you saw the ''before'' and after'' pics of my stone. They aren''t the best out there, but it shows you what kind of magic he can do. My husband constantly comments that my sapphire is "shooting arrows" at him in certain lighting conditions.....in fact, even once set, the colour return from this stone continues to amaze me. My first sapphire was a dark navy blue. I have never seen one like mine...

Have fun, and say hi to Jeff for me, ok?
35.gif
Hi Jeff!

LS

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Thanks LS - that chart is very helpful, I''ll send it off to Jeff with your hello....I''m in Canada too (Vancouver area)!
26.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Keep us posted!

So exciting!

LS

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning color and I think it will look PERFECT in that setting!

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 7:14:44 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Keep us posted!

So exciting!

LS
So....Jeff received the native cut stone from his supplier, it is soooo bluetiful! I am going to have him re-cut the stone since the setting I''m considering is pretty pricey - it deserves a beautiful sapphire.

Jeff mentioned that the slight zoning may be more pronounced when he cuts the stone....can you have a look and let me know your thoughts on the zoning...would it bother you?

This picture was taken outside....

Sapph outside 1.jpg

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
This one was taken inside by a window....

Sapph window light 1.jpg

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
This is Jeff''s studio shot which shows a little zoning....

Sapph studio.jpg

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Last picture....I''ve changed my mind on the setting...this is what I''m thinking of and have already received a quote from Leon
36.gif

This is my very first colored stone project and it''s gonna be a pricey one! Your thoughts and honest opinions are most welcome.

r945_008Ww.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 5:38:20 PM
Last picture....I've changed my mind on the setting...this is what I'm thinking of and have already received a quote from Leon
36.gif

This is my very first colored stone project and it's gonna be a pricey one! Your thoughts and honest opinions are most welcome.
ha, this setting looks familiar as I was contemplating it for my fakey pad. I've seen the singlestone one in person, and I have to say the photos don't do it justice - just in case you haven't made your mind up yet.

Sapphire looks lovely but I am no expert so I don't have much advice...

ETA, also wanted to add the SS one is very comfortable to wear. Something that may be a factor for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked all over and did not see what''s the current carat weight and dimension. Seriously, the colour now is fantastic and the cutting not to shabby. If it''s a large stone and the loss is quite a bit, I would opt to leave it as it is. I love that soft velvety look. Are you willing to risk obvious zoning in addition to paying to get a smaller stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results