shape
carat
color
clarity

My first ring shopping experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
Hey...so today was my first ring shopping day. I anticipate plenty more shopping days, and I''ll let you guys know how each day went. Let me tell you, it was so much more fun going with a BF than with a friend. I''ve only looked once prior to today, and that''s because I couldn''t really get into it when I was with my girlfriend. I loved getting my BF''s opinion on the rocks. Plus, I was more into it because he and I are seriously looking and on the same page as far as the relationship goes, so it made the day really fun.

FYI, the ring we are looking for is G/VS2/1.4-2.0 CT, Emerald cut solitaire. Yes, the range is wide, but I explain why below.

We started out at Tiffanys. Let me tell you - it was empty in there. The economy has really taken a toll on its customers because on another year, the place would have been packed on a Saturday. Anyway, I tried on 3 different rings 1.61 E/VS1, 1.61 F/VS, and 1.71 H/VVS1. I gotta say - I am not really into the emerald cut setting at Tiffanys. I don''t like how the setting has a little curved up look towards the diamonds. We weren''t seriously looking there anyway. It''s way too overpriced for us and because they don''t give you any other stats besides the carat, color and clarity, I feel like I''m making judgements based on incomplete information. Oh...all those rings were 25K and up too. Way out of our budget.

The diamond district is an interesting place. We only met with two vendors, and I found that the experience really depends on the person you work with. I''ve heard that you need to learn how to adjust to the attitudes in the diamond district (even for New Yorkers like us) when you shop....and after today, I will be prepared. :) The first guy we worked with looked to be in his early 20''s and was a bit hostile in the beginning. You know how Tiffanys cleans their rings by rubbing it on the fabric/tray they lay the rings on? I did the same when I was at the this particular place (it had smudges all over it) and I said "do you mind?" and he said "yes, i do mind" in a bit of a jerky way. I think right then and there...I decided I didn''t want to buy from him. I wasn''t exactly rubbing the ring against cement but I will never do that again since the fabric trays are not the same everywhere. The ring we saw was beautiful!!! It was a G/VS2/1.43 ct,
62/62/no cutlet or florescence. Anyway....he knew we liked the ring and tried to get us to buy it then and there...but we said no. It was our first day shopping so we weren''t about to make any rash decisions. I like how you can negotiate though.

The second place we went...we really liked the place. The guy was old school and really honest with us. People usually start out feeling you out and then open up. He was telling me that I''m the worst type of customer - because I have all the stats in mind and if we are a bit off, I may become difficult. lol. He was like "I miss the old days when diamond rings were about romance, not statistics.". I told him to blame it on the internet and how information is widely available. We are all much wiser consumers about big purchases like this. He only had rings already set, so we have to go back when he does his research
and tells us what''s available. Actually, the next few places we go to will be all "by appt".

I decided after today that I will only look for 1.4 carats and 1.7 and above. There is no point getting (around) 1.5, because that is the mark where the price jumps (a 1.50 we looked at was $2000 more than a 1.43 we looked at, just because it was at that "mark". Ironically, we all agreed the 1.43 looked a lot bigger than the 1.5, probably because it was more well cut). Since anything up to 1.6 is similar in size to 1.5, no point in looking around that range either. It has to be much bigger. Based on the rings i looked at (and the budget my BF gave me....his exact words are "you know what the budget is. you figure it out within that range") I think I should be able to get something in the 1.75-1.8 range. Because why use up the entire budget if he''s fine with that?
27.gif

I didn''t take any pix, but I have a little notebook with stats of every diamond we looked at. This is going to be our little engagement memory book.
Enjoy the weekend, everyone! I have to go study for my midterms now.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you had a great time!! I really miss that time period- It was so much fun to have a VALID reason to go into every store I saw and try on tons of beautiful pieces!!! (Now I just do it for fun!)
28.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I love the idea of keeping a little notebook -- so smart, and a cute little memory. Hope you find "the" ring soon!!

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I''ve been waiting to hear how your shopping went.
2.gif
It sounds like you had an enjoyable time. Can''t wait to hear more as your hunt continues!

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
well, for those of you who have read my above post, that will be my first and last diamond shopping experience.
after a discussion with the BF yesterday, we decided that he will do all the work. after we talked, i realized he would rather look himself and surprise me,
so why deprive the guy of that? I only had good intentions when I offered to help, but some people around him don''t think so and it influenced his thoughts. (i.e. probably coming off as pushy, gold digger (?), who knows). I had to grill him to see why he changed his mind.
14.gif

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted. It might be really fun to be surprised though. See you guys around. I''m always hanging out on this forum.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Exciting stuff!!!
36.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
That was a great recap of your day happydreams!

My Fi almost did the same as yours. We went around to a few jewelry stores and met with one specific jeweller twice to check out stones and settings. We wanted to try every different style on and make sure I knew what I liked for my setting. I made my preferences known and I forwarded a ton of PS links to my man in the process! After our last meeting with the jeweller my Fi said, "Ok..that''s it. You''re done. You''ve done your job. I''ll do the rest." He wanted that element of surprise to be there.

I''m assuming you''re a control freak like me. I hate surprises and I like things done MY way! I was an annoying, pester-y bug over the past 3 months and I have to tell you, it''s well worth the wait! Trust your man that he''ll make the right choices! If you''re a little uncertain, just send him some PS links every now and then! Either way, it sounds like your future ring will be amazing!

Oh, and I also tried on the emerald solitaire at Tiffany...I loved it!!!!

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
Hey EM1,

You have a great memory! Basically, and I don''t want to discuss why in detail, I am not part of the ring shopping process anymore. I was disappointed at first, but now I''m glad . It was fun shopping that one time, but I can see it getting kind of stressful...the decision making, haggling, etc. Plus, it''ll be fun to see the ring for the first time. :) I absolutely LOVE your ring, but I asked him to put the bulk of the money towards a plain solitaire setting. Ideally, I would get some kind of Tacori setting or with baguettes...but I figured I can change the setting a few years later.

The timeline is this summer (early summer, I suspect) so check back later. I''ll post tons of pix when I get them. :)

HD

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 12:14:20 AM
Author: happydreams
Hey EM1,

You have a great memory! Basically, and I don''t want to discuss why in detail, I am not part of the ring shopping process anymore. I was disappointed at first, but now I''m glad . It was fun shopping that one time, but I can see it getting kind of stressful...the decision making, haggling, etc. Plus, it''ll be fun to see the ring for the first time. :) I absolutely LOVE your ring, but I asked him to put the bulk of the money towards a plain solitaire setting. Ideally, I would get some kind of Tacori setting or with baguettes...but I figured I can change the setting a few years later.

The timeline is this summer (early summer, I suspect) so check back later. I''ll post tons of pix when I get them. :)

HD
No worries, just wondered cause I wanted to recommend that diamond to someone else since its still available. The new Tacori setting with baguettes are beautiful. Please post pics when you get it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results