shape
carat
color
clarity

My first Richard Homer gem!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
A few weeks ago, I ordered my first concave cut gem from Richard Homer - a blue/purple spinel. I have always wanted a saturate purple or lavender spinel, and I was pretty excited. My excitement dampened when the stone arrived. It was beautifully cut, and the material was nice, but there was a hint of gray to it. Now, anyone who's ever sold a gem to me will know that I am not fond of gray. I asked if I could exchange it for another stone, and Richard was very understanding and helpful. He described some alternative stones, and said he had "such vivid yellow green chrysoberyl that I wouldn't believe it was real". "Oh," I thought, "I like chrysoberyl, but it's not what I have in mind." Then I saw the pictures of my options - and saw a chrysoberyl that I felt practically lept off the screen at me! There was no doubt in my mind. This was the stone I wanted.

rhchrysoberyl.jpg

In hand, it is better than my pictures can convey. It has an interesting hint of silk from the side, but from the top view, it is nothing but brilliance and vivid greenish yellow. I can't say that I've ever seen another chrysoberyl like it.

Slightly overcast:

chrysoberyl1.jpg

With a little more sun:

chrysoberyl2.jpg

I tried to photograph it in full sun, and all I ended up with was a picture of a yellow-white blotch: Full sunlight + R. Homer's concave faceting = more reflected light than the camera could handle.

I haven't decided yet whether to have it set or to just keep it in my collection of unset stones. Obviously, it is cut to be set with side stones, but since I'm a guy, a ring with two side stones would look distinctly excentric. Anyway, I think the shape is beautiful and unusual in itself, and many of the gems I treasure the most are the ones I don't have set.

I can only say that I am very happy with the transaction. Richard has been generous with his time, and I am all the more educated for it. And I have a gem that I'm crazy about!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
All I can say is WOW :shock:

That is one lovely gem, cut, and color... I can see why you decided to go with it as I love the cut and color; also it being the chrysoberyl family it can stand to be worn...

I have many gems and not much jewelry; pendants and things like that I did decide to make as they were to me more masculine... I did not wear often and now they have become part of my wife's collection :nono: LOL

But at least they are staying in the family...

So you could do that; make a nice pendant and one that will hang high on the neck and if you get tired of wearing it I am sure your significant other will find a place for it :)

I have heard good things about Richard and it is nice to deal with kind people as we are all just humans walking the walk while we are here :)

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter #96cge42

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your kind words, Dana!

What I liked so much about dealing with him was that I really felt he took the time to find out what I liked. Like I said, we had a rather long exchange, and I almost felt guilty about the work hours he put into this one transaction. But the man is obviously passionate about his work (as are you, judging from your posts on this site), and how can you not love that?

This shot is perhaps my best attempt yet at capturing the neon colour:

chrysoberyl3.jpg

Richard himself had a couple of things to say about yellow green. The first was that it's not for everyone. Well, for my part, I love the boldness of it. Some may not appreciate it, but I do. The second was that the stone would need to be set in white gold. I'm normally a yellow gold kinda guy, but I can definitely see where he's coming from with regards to this colour.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It's a stunning stone, Kim. I, too, own a chartreuse chrysoberyl cut by Richard Homer (smaller in size than yours) and it is the most amazing gem -- truly a surreal color. Hard to believe the color is natural. I haven't been able to capture the color or the beauty of the gem in a photo. Enjoy!

Richard Homer is a great guy. Very accommodating, kind, and clearly passionate about gems.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sweet!

imo, richard homer is the king of concave cuts.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, guys!

Lula: I know exactly what you're talking about. While the pictures I took show the colour of the stone fairly accurately, there's a sort of glow to it that they can't quite convey.

movie zombie: I don't doubt it. And I feel that chrysoberyl really benefits from Richard's artistry. While I like chrysoberyl, it can have a slightly glassy look, if you know what I mean, and the concave cutting really offsets that.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful.
As to setting, I can not give advises to a guy, but have you seen K.D.Lewis's Phoenix ring? It was featured a while ago here, but it was stunning, and it was made for his boyfriend. I mean, this stone is definitely cut to be worn...

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Kim Bruun|1336928356|3194365 said:
Thanks, guys!

Lula: I know exactly what you're talking about. While the pictures I took show the colour of the stone fairly accurately, there's a sort of glow to it that they can't quite convey.

movie zombie: I don't doubt it. And I feel that chrysoberyl really benefits from Richard's artistry. While I like chrysoberyl, it can have a slightly glassy look, if you know what I mean, and the concave cutting really offsets that.

Yes, the glow is other-wordly. I do hope you decide to set yours in a piece of jewelry.

Arkteia, do you have a link to the Phoenix ring you're referring to?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on such an obviously fine quality chrysoberyl. So many have that hint of grayness but yours is indeed neon. My guess is that it colour shifts indoors becoming greener?

I understand perfectly the frustration of trying to photograph chrysoberyls. The brilliance and luster is so amazing that I also end up with a white blotch instead of a picture of the stone.

This stone deserves to be set and worn. I think a solitaire is fine as well, using a design that highlights the unique outline. While the colour is superb enough to go with just about any colour metal, I am partial to 18K yellow and 18K green gold, to play one either the green or yellow side of the stone.

Out of curiousity, do you feel comfortable posting the blue / purple RH spinel, or at least the link?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
That is lovely workmanship on that ring, Arkteia. I'd probably feel that ring was a little tall for my hand (I would be too physically active to wear it), but it is very glamorous.

I am not saying that I won't be setting the stone. I am saying that I won't set it just for the sake of setting it - it has to be the perfect design for me AND the stone. I chose this stone for me, and like I said, I won't enjoy it any less as part of my collection of unset stones. I can definitely see how it could be made into a cool piece of jewelry. But for me, it is also a beautiful little piece of art in and of itself.

Chrono: the spinel in question is not up on his site. It photographed as a more saturate blue/purple than it actually was. I imagine the colour is tricky to photograph - my tanzanites often show´up nearly clean blue on the camera, while the puurple aspect is visible in hand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful and it makes me want one! The sapphire in my avatar is from Richard. He is a very nice guy as well as being a talented cutter!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Arkteia|1336934634|3194395 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/mike-robinson-making-the-phoenix-a-mini-series-t152118-30.html

He is klewis, I misspelled. HIs jewelry is art!

Thank you Arkteia. I remember that ring. It's amazing!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, jumping off the screen is an understatement. That is beautiful! Keeping it on the desk to look at while you decide will give you a lot of pleasure -- I understand your feeling about that. I have 2 tourmalines, one a neon peach-ish/copper & the other a gorgeous green antique cushion, from which I probably receive as much joy in their little boxes under my nose. Sometimes I wonder why I fret about the price of gold for setting them, since I just love them bare-naked.

--- Laurie

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful chrysoberyl, it will make a very nice ring.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful stone! I bet it is very vibrant!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Barrett & bright ice: Thank you for your kind words! :))

JewelFreak: Thank you! I am glad someone understands me! ;))

diamondseeker2006: That is a gorgeous sapphire too! I'd love to own a Richard Homer sapphire one day. Heck, I'd love to own any sapphire with that beautiful colour!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Kim -- just curious about something you said on bright ice's thread: was your stone mined in India?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Lula: Yes, Richard Homer told me this material is from India.

Chrono: I've spent much time enjoying the stone, and if anything, I'd say that incandescent lighting draws out the yellow in the yellow-green. :))

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Kim. Mine is form India as well. I've owned my stone for about a year and a half. I wasn't sure about the color of the chrysoberyl at first, but it definitely grew on me. Mine is currently loose and sits on my desk in its gem case. Your stone is so sculptural; it deserves a very special setting design.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results