shape
carat
color
clarity

My first pearl stringing attempt, share yours too!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this gorgeous, fat, purple pearl from Kojima a few weeks back and originally enjoyed wearing it on a long gold chain. Inspired by @yssie 's recent seed pearl strand she had up for sale I bought some 3.5mm seed pearls and a tiny clasp from Wen on Etsy. It took a few tries and it‘s by no means perfect but I really enjoyed doing it. I have since bought some inexpensive Tahitians and am waiting on the delivery of some silk thread to string them too- watch this space! There’s real satisfaction in creating your own jewellery (and it saves $$$, my last pearl restring cost $60 at my jeweller).

EDD5167A-31A4-424A-BE4F-6EC2A24692C6.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful big fat pearl but im loving those seed pearls
I would love to have a go at this some time in the future

With such small pearls do you still knot each one ?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I normally knot between every three to five with small pearls. You still need the pearls held in place on the string to stop bunching.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful big fat pearl but im loving those seed pearls
I would love to have a go at this some time in the future

With such small pearls do you still knot each one ?

I only knotted the first 3 at each end, not sure if that’s the right thing but it looks ok!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally knot between every three to five with small pearls. You still need the pearls held in place on the string to stop bunching.

That’s really good to know, I’ll try that if I have to redo them.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I only knotted the first 3 at each end, not sure if that’s the right thing but it looks ok!

That's how Mikimoto were originally knotted. there are two inherent problems with doing it that way. Firstly, as I said, the pearls will tend to fall to the middle of the necklace, leaving a gap at the back, or if you adjust so the string is tight, then the string is tight. And second..if the string breaks...
It's a bit of a no lose no win compromise sitch.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
It looks great!! I just love the color of your large purple pearl! Very cool that you strung this necklace. One day I hope to string a bracelet.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Snowdrop13 You are talented!! You and all the other stringers on this thread!!

I tried stringing a few myself. Looked easy enough on YouTube. Oh, I made such an extraordinary mess - it looked terrible and I got thread stuck inside about fifteen pearls ;(And tiny pearls have such small drill holes - I’ve seen folks use wire for these, too... I have a very healthy appreciation for those who can do this well!

Hisano strings her the same way you did: Last three pearls knotted. I wear mine (bracelets) regularly and have to get them restring once every six months or so, so it’s not too bad. I suspect necklaces would stretch less... If you plan to always use that particular pendant with this seed pearl strand perhaps you could knot the pendant in and avoid its jump ring nestling between the babies? Just thinking out loud...

It looks amazing :cool2:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Snowdrop13 You are talented!! You and all the other stringers on this thread!!

I tried stringing a few myself. Looked easy enough on YouTube. Oh, I made such an extraordinary mess - it looked terrible and I got thread stuck inside about fifteen pearls ;(And tiny pearls have such small drill holes - I’ve seen folks use wire for these, too... I have a very healthy appreciation for those who can do this well!

Hisano strings her the same way you did: Last three pearls knotted. I wear mine (bracelets) regularly and have to get them restring once every six months or so, so it’s not too bad. I suspect necklaces would stretch less... If you plan to always use that particular pendant with this seed pearl strand perhaps you could knot the pendant in and avoid its jump ring nestling between the babies? Just thinking out loud...

It looks amazing :cool2:

Thank you! Believe me, my first few attempts were not pretty, it‘s so fiddly, especially at either end of the strand. I hadn’t thought of knotting the pendant in, that’s a great idea!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first attempts were not pretty either. But you do it, then do it again. and again. After a few thousand ...(your fingers fall off?)

And with that recommendation...
:lol:

Beaders Secret

Rough_Rock
Trade
Love to see another picture of that gorgeous pink pearl.
the white really compliments the pearl beautifully

Good advice on the knot either side of the pink pearl.

Stringing with out knots is perfectly ok, ( unless they are quite large or heavy.) most in-house restringers still offer this service today.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any recommendations on good YouTube tutorials for stringing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results