shape
carat
color
clarity

My first Jeff White commission

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
At the suggestion of @dk168 that I reach out to Jeff to see if he can cut another garnet similar to what I was looking for in this thread:

He sent me 1 option that he had that would work. It was a beautiful piece of rough but I felt like I would always regret not buying the stone he had cut almost a decade earlier. I let him know that I was buying the 5.14ct mint garnet from JBG and that I would like to commission a pink spinel from him down the track.
Jeff told me that he has some new rough from Tucson, and that he would send me some options. Jeff picked out a large piece of rough from Tajikistan, a smaller piece sold to him as Mahenge but he believes it is probably from Madagascar and a third orangy pink piece from Africa. I was having trouble choosing between the large Tajik rough and the smaller orangy pink piece. Jeff suggested I buy both so that’s what I did!
I have never commissioned a stone before so I am excited to see how they both turn out! Obviously I am hoping for a stone on the upper end of his estimate but I am mentally preparing myself for the lower end of his estimate.
The Tajic rough should yield an oval or pear of 3.5-5.9ct and the orangy pink rough should yield an asscher of 2.1-3.2ct. Obviously it will be a few months before I have any updates on these. I am very excited already though.
63AFC9BC-C565-4AB8-83DB-BE0475685492.jpeg
2306A671-F603-46D0-AE10-FA7B8A43E36A.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see the finished stones!

DK :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is super-cool! The process always scares me. I can't judge rough.

That's why I leave to the expert knowledge of the likes of Jeff W and Garry B!

KR,

D

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty! I have a pair being cut for earrings out of that same lighter pink rough!

M

maru8888777

Very cool!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Same here. What happens if you don’t like it after it’s cut?

Jeff is very helpful in helping you to understand how the rough is likely to turn out. I wouldn’t have gone ahead if I wasn’t confident that I would be happy with the finished product.
Jeff does has a return policy though too in the event that you don’t like the stone. The deposit is non refundable though.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff does has a return policy though too in the event that you don’t like the stone. The deposit is non refundable though.

That is as expected for custom work, and it is clearly stated in his T&Cs.

There is an element of risk involved especially buying from abroad for certain which is part of the fun.

I consider buying and importing anything from abroad as one way transactions as the return process is a pain.

Going down the route of custom cut stones removes one uncertainty for me personally - the cut will be precision and great.

DK :))

Odyssey44

Rough_Rock
I hope to follow in your shoes in the not too distant future. I want some parti tourmalines of different shapes for my next project. Can't wait to see yours.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff is cutting a rubellite for me right now. It should be done any day now. I can't wait!

thorstedswife

Shiny_Rock
I have a Jeff white tourmaline and I love it he does amazing work congrats on your ring .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results