shape
carat
color
clarity

My first dress try on

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
So!

Today I went to the bridal shop that carries the Maggie dress that I've been droooooooling over. :love:

It was absolutely beautiful like I thought it would be.

It was waaaay too big even with me holding it back as tightly as I possibly could so these pictures do not do it any justice.

Its supposed to be relatively tight even past my waist so try to picture how it looks in the professional model photo's on me.

I will say, I LOVE sparkle so it was a little bit disappointing that there was no beading anywhere else on the dress except the top...so if I do go with this one I'll have them add some throughout the dress. I really really love the strap on the model, but it looked AWFUL on me and rather cheap looking too. So either I will wear it without the strap, or have one made. I was hoping to have a dress that WASNT strapless just because I like the one strap over the shoulder better since it's a little bit different. Also, I'm really short (4'11)...I was just standing on the little thing they had there ;-) The one I have on is just the Ivory colored one...I would get the Ivory over Oyster as shown in the professional shots of the dress as it makes the lace stand out more..

Anyways here are some pictures:

IMG_5619.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
The pictures on the website

CatarinaB.jpg

maggiesottero-catarinagown.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh it looks lovely on you, you're so cute ::)

You have a fantastic figure, and I think once it's sized it'll be incredibly flattering :appl:

I like it better without the strap on you. The strap is so busy, a little bit goes a long way and a lot is just overwhelming...

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful! I agree that the strap is a bit busy. I like it strapless :bigsmile:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I agree...I felt like it was really overpowering.

I looked like crap--sorry hahaha and I'm cheesing really hard in the pictures :bigsmile:

Thanks guys! I loved the dress but I'm going to try some others on just to be sure thats the one.

I'll take better pictures when they can really hold the dress tightly and the way it should be without me doing it myself..

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
This is another one I want to try on. It has a low front so I'd make sure that the tata's are not out as much as they are on the girl in the picture

Ella.jpg

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
The dress looks totally different without the strap, but I like it! :love: It's too bad they didn't have the clamp things.. You need to pose in a sassy dress like that!! Congrats on finding a potential dress.. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
PavePrincess said:
The dress looks totally different without the strap, but I like it! :love: It's too bad they didn't have the clamp things.. You need to pose in a sassy dress like that!! Congrats on finding a potential dress.. :appl: :appl: :appl:

It's missing sparkle and its bothering the crap out of me, hahaha. I would have posed if I wasn't trying to run out of the place because there were two bridezillas being drama queens in there and I couldnt be in there for 5 more minutes. Literally. I put the dress on, took pictures and got out..

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
You're in PA, right? What salon did you go to?

I went to La Bella Moda in Conshohocken which carried a nice range of designers. They had higher end stuff like Amsale and then some much more affordbale lines. I highly recommend checking out Sabrina Ann in Ardmore. Its a consignment shop and if you have designer taste (which, based on your watch collection I'm going to figure you do) but don't want to spend $3000 on a wedding dress you may be in for a treat there. They have a little bit of everyone and of course their stock changes frequently since its a consignment store.

In NJ I went to the Bridal Garden and Lily's. I loved the Bridal Garden and I liked Lily's since they carried Watters, one of my favorite affordable designers.

Good luck! I like this dress a lot on you. I do agree that the strap is al ittle overwhelming on a petit 4'11" frame. I love the low back on it though! Very pretty! Keep trying on though, you've only just begun! You have plenty of time to find a gown so why not search some more. You can always come back to this one.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
AN, you look super cute in that dress. I'm still just in awe of your weight loss. I might need to come looking for tips after I evict the baby in September! You're stunning!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It's lovely! I do like it strapless, It elongates your neck line. It looks great on you, and will no doubt look much better once it's fitted! :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must be the only one who likes the strap (at least in the picture). I would need to see the strap on you. Its a beautiful
dress either way.

A

Anonymous

Awww so beautiful!! I LOVE the first one, and agree that it's too bad they didn't have clips for you to make it fit a bit better!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek said:

I went to La Bella Moda in Conshohocken which carried a nice range of designers. They had higher end stuff like Amsale and then some much more affordbale lines. I highly recommend checking out Sabrina Ann in Ardmore. Its a consignment shop and if you have designer taste (which, based on your watch collection I'm going to figure you do) but don't want to spend $3000 on a wedding dress you may be in for a treat there. They have a little bit of everyone and of course their stock changes frequently since its a consignment store.

In NJ I went to the Bridal Garden and Lily's. I loved the Bridal Garden and I liked Lily's since they carried Watters, one of my favorite affordable designers.

Good luck! I like this dress a lot on you. I do agree that the strap is al ittle overwhelming on a petit 4'11" frame. I love the low back on it though! Very pretty! Keep trying on though, you've only just begun! You have plenty of time to find a gown so why not search some more. You can always come back to this one.

Thanks Clairtek!

I went to Ashley's Bridal Shop. I really felt like there weren't taking me seriously in there :( Bummer.

I'll check out those stores, thank you for the suggestions!

I'm actually not big on designers at all EXCPET when it comes to watches but other than that not so much. I won't lie, I do love Maggie's but I just enjoy the craftsmanship...if I found a dress that was just as beautiful and a no-namer...I'd go for the no-namer.

I was thinking about going to Roma Bridals in North Jersey...I hear they have a good selection.

Are you in PA too?! :) Philly buddies?!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much ladies!!!

I figured the A-line would probably look best since I'm short....maybe I'm wrong.

I love talking about weight loss tips, so anytime you're ready...I'm ready :)

The problem with the strap is that it looked like it came straight out of the dollar store...it looked THAT cheap. :( The model in the picture has broad shoulders but me, not so much..which is probably why it didn't look good with the strap on (that sounds dirty :naughty: )

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
It looks amazing on you!!!!!!

I'll echo what the other ladies say - it looks great on you without the strap. I think it'd be a bit much.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

Is it weird that I desperately want to go to a store that carries the dress AND good clamps so I can get the RIGHT visual in my head. I'm still so annoyed that I had to take THESE pictures when they didn't even bother to use good clamps so I could get a better idea :angryfire:

I'll relax now..

A

Anonymous

It's not weird at all! It's hard to let go of the curiosity until you have a proper example...and you didn't get that! I say go whenever you want, though this is coming from someone that's going two weekends in a row, when my wedding isn't for almost a year. :oops:

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
Clairitek said:

Thanks Clairtek!

I went to Ashley's Bridal Shop. I really felt like there weren't taking me seriously in there :( Bummer.

I'm actually not big on designers at all EXCPET when it comes to watches but other than that not so much. I won't lie, I do love Maggie's but I just enjoy the craftsmanship...if I found a dress that was just as beautiful and a no-namer...I'd go for the no-namer.

I was thinking about going to Roma Bridals in North Jersey...I hear they have a good selection.

I think it came up before that we both live in the Philly area in a thread in LIW. Can't remember which one but I filed it away in my memory. I believe you said you live in the KOP area, right? Anyway, since we are so close to NJ there are certainly tons of options for bridal salons. Thank goodness for living in a densely populated area!

Sucks that they didn't take you seriously in the salon. I had that happen to on my first trip to La Bella Moda. Then when I made another appointment and came back they were much better.

For a nicely made gown in the same price range as Maggie Sottero check out Casablanca. My friend IRL and a fellow PSer Stephb0lt wore a Casablanca at her wedding with a simlar look and feel to that second gown you posted and she looked awesome in it. The beading on the gown was gorgeous from a distance and close-up. She glistened just the perfect amount in the sun during her ceremony.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
tammy77 said:
It's not weird at all! It's hard to let go of the curiosity until you have a proper example...and you didn't get that! I say go whenever you want, though this is coming from someone that's going two weekends in a row, when my wedding isn't for almost a year. :oops:

Mine isn't for OVER a year :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek said:
Autumnovember said:
Clairitek said:

Thanks Clairtek!

I think it came up before that we both live in the Philly area in a thread in LIW. Can't remember which one but I filed it away in my memory. I believe you said you live in the KOP area, right? Anyway, since we are so close to NJ there are certainly tons of options for bridal salons. Thank goodness for living in a densely populated area!

Sucks that they didn't take you seriously in the salon. I had that happen to on my first trip to La Bella Moda. Then when I made another appointment and came back they were much better.

For a nicely made gown in the same price range as Maggie Sottero check out Casablanca. My friend IRL and a fellow PSer Stephb0lt wore a Casablanca at her wedding with a simlar look and feel to that second gown you posted and she looked awesome in it. The beading on the gown was gorgeous from a distance and close-up. She glistened just the perfect amount in the sun during her ceremony.

Thaaaaank you so much again for the suggestions :) I live right in Bucks County. I love that there are several people from Philly here!

I have heard of Casablanca...will be checking those out too. Plus, you said she was sparkling which is what I want most (next to lace) for my wedding dress.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember said:
So!

Today I went to the bridal shop that carries the Maggie dress that I've been droooooooling over. :love:

It was absolutely beautiful like I thought it would be.

It was waaaay too big even with me holding it back as tightly as I possibly could so these pictures do not do it any justice.

Its supposed to be relatively tight even past my waist so try to picture how it looks in the professional model photo's on me.

I will say, I LOVE sparkle so it was a little bit disappointing that there was no beading anywhere else on the dress except the top...so if I do go with this one I'll have them add some throughout the dress. I really really love the strap on the model, but it looked AWFUL on me and rather cheap looking too. So either I will wear it without the strap, or have one made. I was hoping to have a dress that WASNT strapless just because I like the one strap over the shoulder better since it's a little bit different. Also, I'm really short (4'11)...I was just standing on the little thing they had there ;-) The one I have on is just the Ivory colored one...I would get the Ivory over Oyster as shown in the professional shots of the dress as it makes the lace stand out more..

Anyways here are some pictures:

This looks AMAZING on you - what a beautiful gown! I definitly like it without the strap.

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
you look so pretty in it! :love: :love: :love:

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Autumnovember said:
PavePrincess said:

It's missing sparkle and its bothering the crap out of me, hahaha. I would have posed if I wasn't trying to run out of the place because there were two bridezillas being drama queens in there and I couldnt be in there for 5 more minutes. Literally. I put the dress on, took pictures and got out..

Honestly, I don't think I could do a dress without crystals. Nothing too gaudy, but I LOVE my sparklies!! So, i totally feel you when you say you think something's missing. I'm definitely going to take Clairitek's suggestion and go to the store that carries Amsale. I LOVE Amsale dresses.. :love: :love: :love: Maybe I'll run into you!!

Sorry about the bridezillas. I hate dumb girls.. :nono: Hahaha..

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
Clairitek said:
Autumnovember said:
Clairitek said:

Thanks Clairtek!

Thaaaaank you so much again for the suggestions :) I live right in Bucks County. I love that there are several people from Philly here!

I have heard of Casablanca...will be checking those out too. Plus, you said she was sparkling which is what I want most (next to lace) for my wedding dress.

Stephb0lt's gown was the 1860.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
The dress looks fabulous on you, and I like it w/o the strap.

Just curious - were you able to try on the other dress you posted a picture of? The "Ella" dress? I love, love, love that dress and would have tried it on had I not already ordered mine...

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
AN- I saw on the budget thread that you're getting married in downtown Philly. I was curious if you have your venue picked out yet. I planned out a wedding here and then ended up ditching it for some thing sooner, smaller, and in Rhode Island (where I am from) but there are a bunch of neat venues here!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
CurlySue said:
The dress looks fabulous on you, and I like it w/o the strap.

Just curious - were you able to try on the other dress you posted a picture of? The "Ella" dress? I love, love, love that dress and would have tried it on had I not already ordered mine...

Not yet! BUT! I will be going to try it on soon. Ill post a picture for you :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek said:
AN- I saw on the budget thread that you're getting married in downtown Philly. I was curious if you have your venue picked out yet. I planned out a wedding here and then ended up ditching it for some thing sooner, smaller, and in Rhode Island (where I am from) but there are a bunch of neat venues here!

We were thinking about doing it on the rooftop of the philadelphia free library :love: It has great views of the city and my planner told me that they are very fair with pricing. We would get a huge tent that is clear for it....we should be checking the venue out before September.

I have no clue what other venues to even consider right now. When I did some digging I found some pics from a wedding that was held there and it just looked AWESOME. I love that it would be outside/in a tent because I love the early October weather. I hope it works out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results