shape
carat
color
clarity

My first custom project

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
All my other jewelry pieces are either inherited or antique/vintage, so this was a big and hesitant first. The emerald is tiny - 0.6 ct but I love the color and it is muzo no oil. 20230823_163154.jpg

Attachments

• 20230823_163140.jpg
    20230823_163140.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 37

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
And sorry for my nails, I squeeze fresh turmeric in my tea every morning.

hardwear

Rough_Rock
Lovely ring...curious where/vendor is the emerald from ? Looking for myself too.

OT- Turmeric - have you found it helpful ?

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
@hardwear , I'll post the vendor after it comes back from gia. I bought from this vendor before and GIA agreed with his description, but I check everything. Re: the turmeric, I usually do a lot of anti inflammatory things and time will tell. It's more preventative as I get closer and closer to 50.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
This is perfection, so pretty!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Stunning! and gorgeous with your stack. Also the side stones are perfection.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!

And, selfishly, I also love that someone someday can make something similarly beautiful out of my 0.46 ct perfect-color emerald. I was going to start smoking so I could maybe flush-mount it strategically in a gold cigarette case but that seems like a lot of effort.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous colour!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty and a gorgeous green!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! And I gotta say those stacking bands are nothing to sneeze at!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! You did a really nice job for a "first" project. It looks like it was meant to go with all the stacking bands.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Aargh, GIA rated the emerald F1 and not "not oiled, untreated " as it was sold to me. Seller claims he was not aware and he knew that I was planning to send it to GIA for verification.
So now I'm debating just keeping it for a lower price or returning it. I'd also need to find a fair market value for a similar F1 ring.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if I was in a similar spot, I'd look for answers to two questions.

1. Do you love the ring? Can you imagine just letting it go because it's not all that special to begin with and if it's not as represented, then it holds no value to you? Or does it make you smile with joy when you look at it, and while you're disappointed with the lab result, you still want to wear it?

2. What type of treatment is it? Is it traditional oil, or is it a modern and permanent resin? Because traditional oil is not permanent, you can remove it if you want. The visual difference will probably be negligible, considering the GIA graded it F1. And you'll have a no oil muzo. But if it's resin, then that might bother you, and it might not be mind clean for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a sample of how clarity enhancing treatments affect emerald. The F1 on your report would be an example of minor treatment. Hopefully, this helps with your decision.

On a side note, I do like the ring, lovely color and perfect setting. 99.9% of Columbian emeralds are clarity enhanced, so it will be a challenge to find one that isn’t. However, if you do, make sure it already comes with a reputable lab report indicating no signs of treatment.

IMG_9831.jpeg

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Update: this turned out to be an utterly disaster. I sent him the GIA report and now he's telling me this is not his ring and emerald, despite the fact that he hasn't even received the return yet. Then it changed to GIA having faulty machines with oil on them.
He tried really hard to make me pay with cash app when I insisted PayPal goods and services too and I have in writing his guaranteed return if GIA report indicates treatment.
I'm so stressed about it and spent $$$ at gia too, and shipping, insurance etc. Kicking myself for this.
I spoke with ebay and I'll also challenge the refund refusal with PayPal. I wrote a memo regarding testing in the PayPal payment.
ARGH.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
New update. So I spoke with ebay, they suspended his account and now he's sending me threatening communication. Called ebay again and ebay sent me to the FBI via IC3 after reviewing his communication. I need a hug.

Ren

Rough_Rock
New update. So I spoke with ebay, they suspended his account and now he's sending me threatening communication. Called ebay again and ebay sent me to the FBI via IC3 after reviewing his communication. I need a hug.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! *virtual hugs from a stranger* I hope the appropriate people can deal with this and that your next jewel experience brings you joy.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Update: this turned out to be an utterly disaster. I sent him the GIA report and now he's telling me this is not his ring and emerald, despite the fact that he hasn't even received the return yet. Then it changed to GIA having faulty machines with oil on them.
He tried really hard to make me pay with cash app when I insisted PayPal goods and services too and I have in writing his guaranteed return if GIA report indicates treatment.
I'm so stressed about it and spent $$$ at gia too, and shipping, insurance etc. Kicking myself for this.
I spoke with ebay and I'll also challenge the refund refusal with PayPal. I wrote a memo regarding testing in the PayPal payment.
ARGH.

So within eBay he tried to make you go outside and pay cashapp?

If you paid with a eBay, and I hope the return will be easier because they should credit you. I’m so sorry this is happening.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I have no words. I am so so sorry this is happening to you. I don't have high hopes for the seller but I really do hope eBay or PayPal makes this right for you soon! Here's sending warm thoughts and good wishes on this your way!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
So within eBay he tried to make you go outside and pay cashapp?

If you paid with a eBay, and I hope the return will be easier because they should credit you. I’m so sorry this is happening.

@Mreader I hope so. It's outside their 30 day money back guarantee and I purchased the setting separately using PayPal goods and services with bill of sale contingent on GIA finding. He repeatedly sent me written communication that I can return if the stone is treated. Will see. I was very naive.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I spoke with ebay, they suspended his account and now he's sending me threatening communication. Called ebay again and ebay sent me to the FBI via IC3 after reviewing his communication. I need a hug.

OMG that's awful! I think this may be my first-ever use of the angry emoji here.

I like: It's not my ring and GIA is wrong! "The food is terrible -- and the portions are so small!"

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I was very naive.

You weren't. You did things right - you set the conditions beforehand, you verified with a reputable lab, and you used payment method that offers you buyer protection. What more could you have done? Not buy the stone at all?

It just so happened that the vendor was willing to blow everything up rather than honour your agreement. No way you could have predicted or prevented that.

In moments like these I calm myself by reminding myself that there are so many other worse things that can happen in life. Irreversible losses that hurt so much more. Sometimes money is lost, but money can be earned. It's better in the grand scheme of things if the troubles we're facing are manageable, even if they are unpleasant.

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
@Avondale is spot on. And PayPal is actually great - I had an issue with a vendor over a leather jacket and when I appealed to PayPal, they refunded me pretty quickly. The stress of it is not fun though - sending virtual hugs in the meantime.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically, when I buy off eBay or Etsy, I go with an amount that I feel is worth risking. I recently purchased a setting off Etsy, and I hated it. The vendor literally took forever to make it as well, sending me tons of excuses on why it wasn’t ready. She said she would refund me if I didn’t like it, but in the end, I saw the writing on the wall and I kept it. Again, it was an amount that I felt was worth risking.

Refund issues often happen with gems since many dealers have the gems on memo, and don’t pay their supplier until they get paid. Therefore, they don’t have the full sum to refund you. I’m not making excuses for them, but that’s why it’s a bit riskier purchasing gems than other commodities. I learned this the hard way three times in my life. Two sellers were based in my country (USA), so it’s not just an overseas problem. It is worth mentioning that overseas, the laws are not going to help you as much as there is less consumer protection.

I’m very sorry this happened to you. I do hope that you can get reimbursed.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
What a headache hope it’s resolved quickly

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring is very pretty and minor oil is fairly standard. Sometimes in these situations the stress is not worth it. The gem and ring are pretty and for a smaller gem the difference in price between no oil and minor is likely small. Even though you are in the right in principle, in your shoes I would be tempted to cut losses and just enjoy it rather than endure the stress of a long drawn out fight. My time and mental health are worth money too! Just putting this out there for future readers who might be in a similar situation and considering their options.

I hope this is resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results