shape
carat
color
clarity

My First Colored Diamond- .93ct FLY

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Well for those of you who have sort of followed some of my recent threads, I'm expecting again this Fall. DH gave me a dollar amount to spend on some new jewelry I wanted for a push present. At first I thought sugar stackers, as I love Megeve's set...but I just couldn't find any in a color that really sung to me. Then I thought- OK how about some custom detachable earrings similar to VannaK or CCN. I was going to have BGD or HM do them, but it was impossible to find a suite of gemstones in a color that I liked...well actually any at all. Only 1 vendor had something suitable and the shape and color were not what I was looking for.

I was really getting depressed as for once I had a nice size budget for something but everything I wanted was a dead end. Finally DH said how about a fancy colored diamond....well that genuis man that I married had a wonderful idea. My all time favorite ring on PS is Megeve's 4.70ct FLY in a LM halo. It is stunning beyond belief. However, my budget was much smaller and with the recent diamond pricing soaring through the roof since January I knew I would have to get a much smaller diamond then the 1.5-2ct I wanted.

Anyhow I searched all the fancy diamond websites and keep returning to one diamond on the DBL site. I kept seeing very nice cut cushions, but not with the color I was looking for. I was about to give up when I saw a curious one on DBL. The symetry of the diamond is a little wonky but for some reason it did not bother me at all...I just fell heads over heels in love with the color, that light lemonade yellow was perfect so I called and the next day the diamond was at my home. It is smaller then when I wanted and with a cushion cut smaller still for face up size. For right now I'm not going to set it. I will see if diamond prices go down and perhaps trade up if I find something else with that same color in the next year or two. If not, I was thinking I could combat DSS with a double halo of yellow and white diamonds. I haven't quite decided what I want to do just yet. Feel free to throw ideas my way though!

Wow I didn't mean to write a whole novel...now without further ado, my .93ct cushion cut FLY.
Real life shots will be posted later when I find the darn camera code. I have a feeling my shiba might have eaten through it... :lol:
Specs from GIA cert:
FLY .93ct
SI2 (eyeclean)
P/S: G/G (something I said I would never do...but I guess you should never say never with a color you love)
Fluorescense: Faint
5.41 x 5.24 x 3.54

r4124c.jpg

r4124wc.jpg

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
congrats on the FCD~ :bigsmile:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must be so excited! It's a beauty!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Oh very pretty! As for the polish and symmetry being only good, well it's like any other colored stone... color trumps cut!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm, so pretty . . . and BIG too. :love:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1313176065|2989524 said:

Thank you kenny....to be perfectly honest I was slightly worried about what you would say about it. I might have gone into the corner and cried if you had posted it looked awful. I didn't buy it based on the best proportions of a cushion, but totally went off the color that I loved. I'm glad you like it. I feel like I just got approval from the FCD g-d now so everything is allright :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

eeeeee.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very lovely!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sarahbear621|1313178804|2989561 said:

Thank you kenny....to be perfectly honest I was slightly worried about what you would say about it. I might have gone into the corner and cried if you had posted it looked awful. I didn't buy it based on the best proportions of a cushion, but totally went off the color that I loved. I'm glad you like it. I feel like I just got approval from the FCD g-d now so everything is allright :appl:
Im with you. I'm looking to buy a FCD soon, and looking for Kemny kudos. Not gonna lie.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That diamond is a fabulous shade of yellow :love: ! Congratulations on a lovely purchase and your new baby, too!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1313209729|2989859 said:

Im with you. I'm looking to buy a FCD soon, and looking for Kemny kudos. Not gonna lie.

Oh Puhleeeeze!
This is absurd.
I am nobody.

Learn your stuff, then listen to your heart!

I didn't follow some guru.
In fact, I make a point of ignoring them.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1313213453|2989881 said:
athenaworth|1313209729|2989859 said:

Oh Puhleeeeze!
This is absurd.
I am nobody.

Learn your stuff, then listen to your heart!

I didn't follow some guru.
In fact, I make a point of ignoring them.
You love it and you know it ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Athena you're right.
I am an attention whore, and I admit it. :lol:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It's lovely!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color and it will be such a presence when set. It is huge. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
What a delicious looking gem - like a cube of lemon ice. Mmmmm

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so jealous!!! I am dying for a cushion or radiant FLY!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and so begins another with a FCD addiction! congrats re your pregnancy.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear - does this mean that I need to get pregnant again to get my husband to buy me another FCD? :lol:

Very many congratulations on your lovely diamond (and pregnancy). I love the cut of your diamond and it's almost greenish in appearance. I love yellows with a hint of green. As for it only being a G/G????????????? That's so immaterial I can't tell you! It's the colour, colour, colour, colour, colour, colour, colour and then the colour!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FCDs are all about colour and I wouldn't sweat too much about the polish and symmetry. Looks like a lovely push present!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your first FCD! Its lovely!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Ahahaha, congrats on twins! A beautiful gem of a child I'm certain, and a beautiful gem. 0.93 is a very healthy weight. Don't worry about it. And what a healthy colour!

Wear it in good health. I'd love to see some real life photos. The One excellent thing about yellow diamonds is that the settings can really really add a lot of life and depth to the colour. And the fact that it is a diamond means all that fire and brilliance that is sometimes elusive in other CS is present in spades.

Congrats again!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Can't wait to see hand shots!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
The CADs are in for my FLY. It is hard for me to really comment on the CADs because I know the finish product will look very different. Does anyone have any comments on them?

We did make a few changes- the most noticible ones being the yellow gold accents. I have also contacted WF because there were supposed to be diamonds in the shank, but since I switched representatives mid- project I'm assuming this detail got looked over somehow so picture it with diamonds.

S_-_CAD_-_091211_-_1ver1.jpg

S_-_CAD_-_091211_-_2ver1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your CADs look terribly skewed upwards, making it difficult for me to comment on the overall perspective.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1316002062|3017212 said:
Your CADs look terribly skewed upwards, making it difficult for me to comment on the overall perspective.

Sorry about that Chrono! I was trying to resize them and just screwed it up instead. I have re attached so they should be better now.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better. :cheeky: Thanks!

A couple basic questions that doesn't really affect the design but might affect a fussy eye:
1. The stone isn't a perfect square - do you have a preference whether the slightly longer side faces NS or EW?
2. Will it bother you that the stone sits a little high in the setting, thus there's an air-gap in the profile view (stone cannot be seen)?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
In the top right picture I thought for a moment that there was a band of enamel or that they darkened the inner bezel. And I thought that that was really cool and the contrast looked great. Then I realized it was camera reflection.

I agree with Chrono that the air gap would bother me but then I do tend to like my stones set low.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1316003084|3017222 said:
Much better. :cheeky: Thanks!

A couple basic questions that doesn't really affect the design but might affect a fussy eye:
1. The stone isn't a perfect square - do you have a preference whether the slightly longer side faces NS or EW?
2. Will it bother you that the stone sits a little high in the setting, thus there's an air-gap in the profile view (stone cannot be seen)?

Thanks Chrono and Kismet. Basically I'm pretty flexible with the points you bring up. To me the diamond won't look any more symmetrical whether it is set N/S or E/W. Unfortunately it was a point I had to settle on because I was looking more for color then cut. Down the road I might be sorry about my choice but for now I like the light lemonade look :lickout:

In regards to the diamond setting high I never even noticed that there was an air gap. I'm not for or against it, but I do want the diamond set low as I'm a bit of a clutz and tend to be hard on my jewelry, plus I would not want it to scratch my LO.

Now off to email WF about some changes....thanks again ladies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results