shape
carat
color
clarity

My Favorite Way to Recycle

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Once upon a time, I had a job at a small jewelry store. We bought scrap gold & jewelry for an estate case. We ended up with a tennis bracelet with .25ct stones that would have been next to impossible to sell in our area. So it was broken down into several pairs of .50ctw stud earrings. The diamonds weren’t perfect, but they were sparkly SI, G/H stones. A good number of them were bought by my coworkers & me. Since we didn’t have much in the diamonds, & earring settings aren’t crazy expensive, I was able to buy a pair for each of my sisters, my mom, & myself. Having just graduated from college, working part-time, & planning a wedding, I felt so happy to give out such fancy Christmas gifts!

Fast forward several years, I had only worn those studs a handful of times. They were set in some screwback settings with posts just too thick for my ears. I had planned to trade them in with my jeweler as part of a larger stud purchase. But after seeing so many cool projects repurposing old jewelry, I knew I could have something made I’d wear so much more.

A few months ago, I found a couple Stuller settings that my jeweler brought in & we settled on the fixed pendant with a diamond cut cable chain. Then a couple weeks ago, Stuller came out with a new bezel chain slide. So we got that in rose to set the other earring. Technically, one of these will be for my daughter. She’s too young right now, but I love the idea of each of us having one part of a matching set when she’s older. :love: So for now, I’ll keep it warm for her. ;)2

CCD9911B-48B8-4DBE-9B4E-267B4E918A5E.jpeg
6676FF0A-C1A5-47F9-9956-9FA8FE4B82E1.jpeg 970C0CA1-EAA9-447B-860C-147462915D76.jpeg
AA67171F-2837-4052-BFBE-5DF535032329.jpeg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love these! Great story too! I am in the market to get a mate for my diamond pendant to make new studs. My original studs were a gift from my parents for my 25th & I've decided to make them into pendants, down the line, one for each of my daughter's. It's such a great idea to have things like this that are sentimental & somehow kept together :love:

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, I love these! Great story too! I am in the market to get a mate for my diamond pendant to make new studs. My original studs were a gift from my parents for my 25th & I've decided to make them into pendants, down the line, one for each of my daughter's. It's such a great idea to have things like this that are sentimental & somehow kept together :love:

Such a sweet gift for your girls!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea and they came out beautifully!

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock
What a great idea and a beautiful gift for your daughter. I love how you wear them together.. very pretty!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect use of these stones! They are both beautiful!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea and they came out beautifully!

What a great idea and a beautiful gift for your daughter. I love how you wear them together.. very pretty!

Perfect use of these stones! They are both beautiful!

Thank you! After 8 years of sitting in my jewelry box, these diamonds are finally getting some fresh air :lol-2:

Both chains are adjustable so I can wear them with different necklines, layered or separate. Just adds a perfect little bit of sparkle :kiss2:

F4257A8B-EDE9-49AE-AEFF-9E9600DCB026.jpeg

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! After 8 years of sitting in my jewelry box, these diamonds are finally getting some fresh air :lol-2:

Both chains are adjustable so I can wear them with different necklines, layered or separate. Just adds a perfect little bit of sparkle :kiss2:

F4257A8B-EDE9-49AE-AEFF-9E9600DCB026.jpeg
Very gorgeous!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love them! Great conversion! May I ask which style you prefer? For looks and wearability? I’m looking to make a bezel necklace one day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful way to recycle! Looks gorgeous on you.:love:

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love them! Great conversion! May I ask which style you prefer? For looks and wearability? I’m looking to make a bezel necklace one day.

441459EF-3097-4A3E-BA63-5B1F5B612844.jpeg

These are the three styles we looked at. The first one is the rose pendant, shown in white. I think it’s the prettiest with the chain just sliding through the back. At first, I noticed it seemed to roll around more than the second one. But, after wearing it for a few days, I don’t notice it much. I do wonder if I was just fiddling with it too much the first day. It is a bit deeper than the white one, so that could play into it, too.
I’ve had the second one since May & it is very easy to wear. I’ve never had it flip or face anywhere but up. The only thing I think about changing with it, is swapping the diamond cut cable chain for a regular cable chain. I like the little extra sparkle the d/c chain adds, but I think I like how the regular cable is less noticeable.
The third one looked just too big & bulky with my stones. They are petite at ~4mm each, so that bezel seemed to swallow them up.

A few comparison pictures of the ones I have:
A0BF5DF8-9E73-45EB-88B9-2D057A31ABA1.jpeg A6E572B3-9584-4487-935F-C7AE61FBB5E9.jpeg 1A9F1443-D132-46AF-8930-2D59788FFD65.jpeg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
441459EF-3097-4A3E-BA63-5B1F5B612844.jpeg

These are the three styles we looked at. The first one is the rose pendant, shown in white. I think it’s the prettiest with the chain just sliding through the back. At first, I noticed it seemed to roll around more than the second one. But, after wearing it for a few days, I don’t notice it much. I do wonder if I was just fiddling with it too much the first day. It is a bit deeper than the white one, so that could play into it, too.
I’ve had the second one since May & it is very easy to wear. I’ve never had it flip or face anywhere but up. The only thing I think about changing with it, is swapping the diamond cut cable chain for a regular cable chain. I like the little extra sparkle the d/c chain adds, but I think I like how the regular cable is less noticeable.
The third one looked just too big & bulky with my stones. They are petite at ~4mm each, so that bezel seemed to swallow them up.

A few comparison pictures of the ones I have:
A0BF5DF8-9E73-45EB-88B9-2D057A31ABA1.jpeg A6E572B3-9584-4487-935F-C7AE61FBB5E9.jpeg 1A9F1443-D132-46AF-8930-2D59788FFD65.jpeg

What a fabulous comparison! Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
What a fabulous comparison! Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble!

You’re welcome! I’ve given it quite a bit of thought since pickup :lol-2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally made one! DE39DF24-FA21-407D-A439-BA01AC82B244.jpeg 13DE5FA0-BF11-4F4F-92B9-AAB2B723AB82.jpeg
I used the same stuller setting as you, 5.2mm stone, and 1mm cable chain. I think the chain is too thin, but oh well. Might change it. I’m not sure. Did you end up changing your chain?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Once upon a time, I had a job at a small jewelry store. We bought scrap gold & jewelry for an estate case. We ended up with a tennis bracelet with .25ct stones that would have been next to impossible to sell in our area. So it was broken down into several pairs of .50ctw stud earrings. The diamonds weren’t perfect, but they were sparkly SI, G/H stones. A good number of them were bought by my coworkers & me. Since we didn’t have much in the diamonds, & earring settings aren’t crazy expensive, I was able to buy a pair for each of my sisters, my mom, & myself. Having just graduated from college, working part-time, & planning a wedding, I felt so happy to give out such fancy Christmas gifts!

Fast forward several years, I had only worn those studs a handful of times. They were set in some screwback settings with posts just too thick for my ears. I had planned to trade them in with my jeweler as part of a larger stud purchase. But after seeing so many cool projects repurposing old jewelry, I knew I could have something made I’d wear so much more.

A few months ago, I found a couple Stuller settings that my jeweler brought in & we settled on the fixed pendant with a diamond cut cable chain. Then a couple weeks ago, Stuller came out with a new bezel chain slide. So we got that in rose to set the other earring. Technically, one of these will be for my daughter. She’s too young right now, but I love the idea of each of us having one part of a matching set when she’s older. :love: So for now, I’ll keep it warm for her. ;)2

6676FF0A-C1A5-47F9-9956-9FA8FE4B82E1.jpeg 970C0CA1-EAA9-447B-860C-147462915D76.jpeg

They look awsome worn together

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I finally made one! DE39DF24-FA21-407D-A439-BA01AC82B244.jpeg 13DE5FA0-BF11-4F4F-92B9-AAB2B723AB82.jpeg
I used the same stuller setting as you, 5.2mm stone, and 1mm cable chain. I think the chain is too thin, but oh well. Might change it. I’m not sure. Did you end up changing your chain?

It’s lovely! ❤️ I can see what you mean about your chain, it does seem a bit thin compared to your beautiful diamond. I still really like it though, you diamond is totally eye catching!

I haven’t changed anything with it. Shortly after they were done, I really fell in love with rose gold. So I wore the rose one most of the time until I got a new solitaire pendant and now I wear that one the most.
I do think the diamond cut cable has grown on me though. I’m a sucker for any extra sparkle.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@jbake They’re so pretty and sparkly! I love your idea of giving one to your daughter so you both have a diamond from your earrings. I know your daughter is still very young but it would be so lovely to give it to her for a major event.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
@jbake They’re so pretty and sparkly! I love your idea of giving one to your daughter so you both have a diamond from your earrings. I know your daughter is still very young but it would be so lovely to give it to her for a major event.

Thank you! She loves them and I do let her wear one occasionally. I just keep them in my jewelry box so they don’t get lost. My son likes to wear them, too. They just feel so grown up when I let them, I think. Wearing diamonds like mom, haha!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the way you recycle!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! She loves them and I do let her wear one occasionally. I just keep them in my jewelry box so they don’t get lost. My son likes to wear them, too. They just feel so grown up when I let them, I think. Wearing diamonds like mom, haha!

That’s so adorable! You know I think your kiddos are precious!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of sharing a pair of studs with your DD...they turned out lovely!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone want to recycle their large antique emerald cut diamond? I promise I’ll take good care of it. :halo:
:lol:

@jbake I love your additional photos. ❤️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results