shape
carat
color
clarity

My ER (input?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
I bought an engagement ring a couple days ago after viewing with my gf's sisters. I went with a laboratory certificate that isn't known for the sake of getting a better diamond at a cheaper price. You might have read my first thread...here

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-ring-fake-certification.88321/

Anyway...after calling around today i found out that "EDL" is the top diamond lab in Belgium. LOL? I am still going to get the diamond looked at

The diamond looks awesome to my eye and anyone i have shown, so i don't think i could have done too wrong... If it looks like one of the best diamonds i have ever seen (sparkle wise) that is good enough for me. After much negotiating we got the whole package down to 13,000 for a cash sale.

Here are the specs and some pics... I know lots of people have diamond jitters after purchasing, but i know this is the ring my gf wants and she is going to flaunt it like no other since it has some serious bling.

What does everyone think? I am 24 so I was stretching my budget.

How are the specs?

Certification

Close up

In box

post3.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you should upload the other pictures to this thread.

GIA is the top lab EVERYWHERE. Yes, they send stones to GIA from Belgium.

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
Close up pic

post2.jpg

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
Specs

post4.jpg

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
I know GIA is the top cert in the world. I just meant that EDL is supposedly a known lab in Belgium that is "legit". By legit i mean that it is not some jewelers personal lab or close connection to "loosely grade" diamonds to their advantage.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks very nice.

The percentages on the report suggests a deep pavilion angle, but the stone doesn''t show evidence to support that (at least, as far as I can tell.)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2008 2:18:25 AM
Author: Sfrazier
I know GIA is the top cert in the world. I just meant that EDL is supposedly a known lab in Belgium that is ''legit''. By legit i mean that it is not some jewelers personal lab or close connection to ''loosely grade'' diamonds to their advantage.
Sorry, I didn''t mean to imply that you didn''t know GIA is the "authority." I was sort of poking at the person who told you that EDL is the top lab in Belgium.

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
Should i take a picture of the side? Any input is great! I am very new to diamonds and am trying to learn quickly.

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
No worries... i deserved the poking. I shouldn't have said "top". I am still concerned about the legitimacy of the lab but if it looks nice and it checks out, then i really do not care. hah... I just didn't want to spend 8k more for the GIA version. This one even looked better to the eye than the almost identical GIA stone. It isn't like people are going to walk around with a scope to check it out LOL. People will just notice the shards of light reflecting into their eyes.

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
side view

sgf.jpg

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
side view 2

sgf1.jpg

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
side view close up

sgf2.jpg

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
close up 2

sgf3.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stone! And beautiful ring. It must sparkle from every angle!

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the compliment. It is good to be reassured.

pmpkn42

Rough_Rock
That''s a beautiful ring!

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
That is a gorgeous ring! You''re happy, your GF is thrilled, the cert seems to stand up....I say be happy and just enjoy the new bling!
36.gif

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
if the specs on the ring are exact... did i get a good deal? the setting is 18k white gold and has a 1.3 diamond weight for all the little ones. Need some input lol
31.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/24/2008 1:56:56 AM
Author:Sfrazier
I bought an engagement ring a couple days ago after viewing with my gf''s sisters. I went with a laboratory certificate that isn''t known for the sake of getting a better diamond at a cheaper price. You might have read my first thread...here

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-ring-fake-certification.88321/

Anyway...after calling around today i found out that ''EDL'' is the top diamond lab in Belgium. LOL? I am still going to get the diamond looked at

The diamond looks awesome to my eye and anyone i have shown, so i don''t think i could have done too wrong... If it looks like one of the best diamonds i have ever seen (sparkle wise) that is good enough for me. After much negotiating we got the whole package down to 13,000 for a cash sale.

Here are the specs and some pics... I know lots of people have diamond jitters after purchasing, but i know this is the ring my gf wants and she is going to flaunt it like no other since it has some serious bling.

How are the specs?

Certification

Close up

In box
I am sorry, but after about 20 years in the Antwerp diamond business, I cannot say that I even know EDL.

I do hope that you are happy with your purchase, but the highlighted above is absolutely incorrect information.

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2008 4:40:23 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

I bought an engagement ring a couple days ago after viewing with my gf''s sisters. I went with a laboratory certificate that isn''t known for the sake of getting a better diamond at a cheaper price. You might have read my first thread...here

Anyway...after calling around today i found out that ''EDL'' is the top diamond lab in Belgium. LOL? I am still going to get the diamond looked at

The diamond looks awesome to my eye and anyone i have shown, so i don''t think i could have done too wrong... If it looks like one of the best diamonds i have ever seen (sparkle wise) that is good enough for me. After much negotiating we got the whole package down to 13,000 for a cash sale.

How are the specs?

Certification

Close up

In box
I am sorry, but after about 20 years in the Antwerp diamond business, I cannot say that I even know EDL.

I do hope that you are happy with your purchase, but the highlighted above is absolutely incorrect information.

Live long,
Paul, thanks for that info, I was curious to know.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 4:40:23 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

How are the specs?

Certification

Close up

In box

Live long,
I am afraid that I concur with Paul - I look after the UK sales of an Antwerp-based diamond trading office and I have never heard of EDL either. HRD is the more widely known Antwerp lab.
I wonder where you heard about EDL being a top Belgian lab?.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is just beautiful! It''s going to be a large disco ball on her hand! Congrats on a beautiful purchase!

Good luck with the proposal!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2008 2:52:56 AM
Author: Sfrazier
if the specs on the ring are exact... did i get a good deal? the setting is 18k white gold and has a 1.3 diamond weight for all the little ones. Need some input lol
31.gif
nobody gonna comment about the specs since you already bought the ring.

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
lol ok...damn EDL ...

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
why not get it independently appraised? can you return the ring?

on the flip side, if you and your gf love the ring, then maybe it doesn''t really matter if the specs are good or not.

it definitely is a sparkly disco ball of a ring!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hate to speculate, but in this case, you owe it to yourself to consider the absolutely worst case. That is why you immediately have to get this ring appraised by a independent party.

What are the question-marks?

- Nobody has ever heard of EDL.
- It is definitely not one of the known labs in Belgium.
- Looking at the report, I notice that the date is not in the Belgian format,
- The report indicates a crown height of 13%, while it seems more to me from the pic.
- In the picture, the girdle thickness seems more than what I can deduct from the pic.
- I am getting really suspicious now, and that close-up-pic does not seem natural to me either.

So, here we are. A stone, graded by an unknown. Who says that the grading is anywhere close to correct? Even more, who says that the stone is actually a diamond, a natural untreated diamond? The unknown does, but can we rely on that?

I do not want to scare you, but I have question marks. That stone might well be a 20$ CZ. It might be gorgeous, though. But you owe it to yourself to get an independent check. You never know that you got defrauded.

Live long,

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and...what does it mean by color F (1+)
33.gif
a high end F color?
Idunno1.gif

Sfrazier

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have a recommendation for an appraiser in the SF bay area? Preferably north bay or in SF.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

How much is a good appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results