shape
carat
color
clarity

My EC Experience From JannPaul

emrld

Rough_Rock
Hello!

This post is lengthy, so buckle up. The purpose of this post is to document my JannPaul EC journey, as well as to share information for others thinking about getting an EC from JannPaul

How did I get here?
After countless hours of research, phone calls, emails, visits with various jewelers, looking at atleast 1000 stones (and returning 2 poorly cut stones), I’ve finally found the jewelers who I was meant to work with…

Yep, you probably already guessed it—JannPaul

I just recently discovered JP and the emerald 2.0 from this YouTube video:
. I was immediately wowed by the faceting, visuals, and craftsmanship displayed

I then checked out jannpaul.com but was disappointed to find little information on their website. They only have general price guides for lab grown diamonds (although from my experience the actual prices are slightly higher), but not much else

I emailed them and, after a couple of days, their sales rep, Avery, responded with an informational email about their ECs. She shared how their emerald 2.0 differs from normal ECs, described performance and ASET images, as well as provided a digital pamphlet on their ECs. Take a look: https://online.flippingbook.com/view/76360286/

Impressed, I sent over my specs, and I was then provided with a few available diamonds from their inventory

After selecting a few candidates, I scheduled a Zoom call with Avery to look at the diamonds. She showed me the emerald 2.0s on her hand, under a microscope, under an ASETscope, and compared to a GIA-graded EX EX emerald cut. Spoiler alert: the emerald 2.0 was brighter, fire-ier, and didn’t have the tilt windows that ECs are notoriously known for

So, after the call, I locked in the diamond I liked the most, which also included a GCAL 8X certification, and then we scheduled a 2nd call to discuss the setting more in-depth

After my first call, I noted a few major things you should be aware of before deciding to shop with JannPaul:

-Getting an new diamond cut can take 4-5 months

-They accept payments via bank wire or through stripe, which incurs a 3.571% fee

-Check with your bank and also double check for foreign transaction fees if using a CC. For example, my bank offers free international wires if the $ is sent in a foreign currency, but other banks may charge fees

-The ASETs on the diamonds all differ slightly, but upon viewing they all looked like twins; the only difference being the size, clarity (unnoticeable), and color (also pretty unnoticeable since these diamonds are cut so well). It’s nice they are all cut perfectly and go through a rigorous QC process, but ultimately they look identical so there won’t be many unique visual differentiating factors between multiple emerald 2.0s

-They offer an upgrade program for natural diamonds only: the og price you paid goes towards a new natural diamond, minus SGD 400 if it’s been > 2yrs, to get the diamond re-certified

-All prices are in SGD. Prices don’t include taxes, and shipping is free through FedEx, but you’ll only need to pay a 5.5% duties tax upon delivery (if you live in the USA—unsure about other countries)

TLDR
JannPaul makes some nice emerald cuts

Look out for more updates soon!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you! I just saw my decagon studs on a zoom call with Avery last night and i was blown away. They are bright from edge to edge and the flashes and fire are amazing. Waiting for my EC to come back from GCal. I just put it out of my mind (about the waiting) and then I wake up one morning and "Bam!" there's a DM from Avery about some kind of progress. It will definitely be worth it.

emrld

Rough_Rock
Good for you! I just saw my decagon studs on a zoom call with Avery last night and i was blown away. They are bright from edge to edge and the flashes and fire are amazing. Waiting for my EC to come back from GCal. I just put it out of my mind (about the waiting) and then I wake up one morning and "Bam!" there's a DM from Avery about some kind of progress. It will definitely be worth it.
The suspense… haha. That’s so exciting though! I haven’t seen their decagons yet, but those studs sound stunning

The GCal is nice too. Here is the cert for my diamond: https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=330030083

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the link to my carts for the decagon and the 2 side EC’s for my 3 stone ring.

Jann Paul Certs

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
Hello!

This post is lengthy, so buckle up. The purpose of this post is to document my JannPaul EC journey, as well as to share information for others thinking about getting an EC from JannPaul

How did I get here?
After countless hours of research, phone calls, emails, visits with various jewelers, looking at atleast 1000 stones (and returning 2 poorly cut stones), I’ve finally found the jewelers who I was meant to work with…

Yep, you probably already guessed it—JannPaul

I just recently discovered JP and the emerald 2.0 from this YouTube video:
. I was immediately wowed by the faceting, visuals, and craftsmanship displayed

I then checked out jannpaul.com but was disappointed to find little information on their website. They only have general price guides for lab grown diamonds (although from my experience the actual prices are slightly higher), but not much else

I emailed them and, after a couple of days, their sales rep, Avery, responded with an informational email about their ECs. She shared how their emerald 2.0 differs from normal ECs, described performance and ASET images, as well as provided a digital pamphlet on their ECs. Take a look: https://online.flippingbook.com/view/76360286/

Impressed, I sent over my specs, and I was then provided with a few available diamonds from their inventory

After selecting a few candidates, I scheduled a Zoom call with Avery to look at the diamonds. She showed me the emerald 2.0s on her hand, under a microscope, under an ASETscope, and compared to a GIA-graded EX EX emerald cut. Spoiler alert: the emerald 2.0 was brighter, fire-ier, and didn’t have the tilt windows that ECs are notoriously known for

So, after the call, I locked in the diamond I liked the most, which also included a GCAL 8X certification, and then we scheduled a 2nd call to discuss the setting more in-depth

After my first call, I noted a few major things you should be aware of before deciding to shop with JannPaul:

-Getting an new diamond cut can take 4-5 months

-They accept payments via bank wire or through stripe, which incurs a 3.571% fee

-Check with your bank and also double check for foreign transaction fees if using a CC. For example, my bank offers free international wires if the $ is sent in a foreign currency, but other banks may charge fees

-The ASETs on the diamonds all differ slightly, but upon viewing they all looked like twins; the only difference being the size, clarity (unnoticeable), and color (also pretty unnoticeable since these diamonds are cut so well). It’s nice they are all cut perfectly and go through a rigorous QC process, but ultimately they look identical so there won’t be many unique visual differentiating factors between multiple emerald 2.0s

-They offer an upgrade program for natural diamonds only: the og price you paid goes towards a new natural diamond, minus SGD 400 if it’s been > 2yrs, to get the diamond re-certified

-All prices are in SGD. Prices don’t include taxes, and shipping is free through FedEx, but you’ll only need to pay a 5.5% duties tax upon delivery (if you live in the USA—unsure about other countries)

TLDR
JannPaul makes some nice emerald cuts

Look out for more updates soon!

I’m just excited to see it when you receive it!! Did I miss the specs of your stone?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
They have sent it out for grading, so I don‘t have the exact specs. This is close:

3.80-3.90CT D-F, VVS1-VS1

She said the studs are ready and will hopefully send photos tonight.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nice. I always enjoy seeing what JP comes up with as they're pretty much on the same frequency with the best minds here and cutting for light performance. Looking at the shape I'm wondering if or why this would not be referred to as a step cut cushion as it doesn't really carry the shape of an actual emerald cut?

emrld

Rough_Rock
Very nice. I always enjoy seeing what JP comes up with as they're pretty much on the same frequency with the best minds here and cutting for light performance. Looking at the shape I'm wondering if or why this would not be referred to as a step cut cushion as it doesn't really carry the shape of an actual emerald cut?

I was also wondering this, since traditional emerald cuts are octagons, whereas the emerald 2.0 has 12 sides. when set, the prongs will cover those additional angles so the diamond won’t look look too different from an EC with an untrained eye. Karl put it nicely though, “ split cornered rectangular step cut”

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
split cornered rectangular step cut would be the proper name.

yes that sounds a bit more proper than an emerald cut. Excited for your purchase @emrld

emrld

Rough_Rock
Hello!

After a bunch of back and forth (and 1 revision later), I finally got new renderings back from JP. I still want to tweak the setting a bit, and I could be overthinking but I’m a little torn and would like others opinions—

Is this too much? (face view pic attached)

I often see solitaires, or 3 stone rings, and wanted something more unique. However, I admire the classic look of a solitaire as well, and I don’t want the side stones taking away from the center (which is 1.36ct). I need to check the decagon proportions

My partner doesn’t have a set preference, but I just want her to really love the ring. I don’t know much about e-rings or if this would be considered tacky. Obviously beauty is subjective but IDK—what do you think?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I don't think the side stones detract from the center. It might limit what band s would match if she's a matchup type person, but other than that I think it's lovely.

emrld

Rough_Rock
I don't think the side stones detract from the center. It might limit what band s would match if she's a matchup type person, but other than that I think it's lovely.

Hey, thanks, I think I’m just in way too deep so I started to second guess myself lol. And that’s a good thing to consider about a flush band, I hadn’t thought about that!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I think the ring looks beautiful. I also know someone who just got engaged with an EC solitaire and it is lovely, so it's really preference. I doubt you can go wrong and I'm sure she will love it.

With regard to the band. I just went through this with JP. I am making a 3 stone EC anniversary ring. I plan to wear it on my left hand, so I wanted to wear it with a band. I am getting a decagon petite series band, because I love it, but also I currently own a pave eternity band and would like to be able to interchange them. My SA, Avery, designed and sent me 2 wax molds with the main 3 diamonds at different heights. She also sent a wax of the petite bank and I was able to try it on with my current band. The difference was how much of a gap between the ring and the band. Some people like a gap and others don't. This helped a lot. Of course, if you haven't bought your bands yet, there are tons of choices and you can try them on with the ring once you get it.

emrld

Rough_Rock
Hi. I think the ring looks beautiful. I also know someone who just got engaged with an EC solitaire and it is lovely, so it's really preference. I doubt you can go wrong and I'm sure she will love it.

With regard to the band. I just went through this with JP. I am making a 3 stone EC anniversary ring. I plan to wear it on my left hand, so I wanted to wear it with a band. I am getting a decagon petite series band, because I love it, but also I currently own a pave eternity band and would like to be able to interchange them. My SA, Avery, designed and sent me 2 wax molds with the main 3 diamonds at different heights. She also sent a wax of the petite bank and I was able to try it on with my current band. The difference was how much of a gap between the ring and the band. Some people like a gap and others don't. This helped a lot. Of course, if you haven't bought your bands yet, there are tons of choices and you can try them on with the ring once you get it.

Thanks @momofive very true, it just boils down to preference. I haven’t considered bands yet, so we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it haha. It’ll be a lot easier though, since she can just show me exactly what she wants. That’s nice you were able to get the wax molds in hand! Avery has been great, JP are definitely thorough.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming engagement! And congrats on working with JP. They are amazing. I worked with Chloe.

Just a couple of questions. You said your fiancée doesn’t care about the setting, but I wonder if she prefers yellow gold? Often emeralds are set in white gold or platinum. It’s all a matter of personal preference.

The side profile looks like it will be difficult to get a band to sit flush with the ring without some modifications to the band. Again, it’s all a matter of preference. Does she want a flush set? Will she wear the band alone a lot? Does she like a modified band? Would she prefer a higher set center stone?

She’ll be wearing these pieces (or at least the band) everyday forever. So these are things to consider. Good luck!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming engagement! And congrats on working with JP. They are amazing. I worked with Chloe.

Just a couple of questions. You said your fiancée doesn’t care about the setting, but I wonder if she prefers yellow gold? Often emeralds are set in white gold or platinum. It’s all a matter of personal preference.

The side profile looks like it will be difficult to get a band to sit flush with the ring without some modifications to the band. Again, it’s all a matter of preference. Does she want a flush set? Will she wear the band alone a lot? Does she like a modified band? Would she prefer a higher set center stone?

She’ll be wearing these pieces (or at least the band) everyday forever. So these are things to consider. Good luck!

All of this. Honestly, you might be safer picking a simple solitaire setting, and then let her pick exactly what she wants. That's what my husband did; put the stone in a simple 6 prong and let me pick the setting I really wanted. Just a thought!

emrld

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the comments/concerns @0515vision & @geckodani ! We discussed
All of this. Honestly, you might be safer picking a simple solitaire setting, and then let her pick exactly what she wants. That's what my husband did; put the stone in a simple 6 prong and let me pick the setting I really wanted. Just a thought!

Valid! Thanks for your comments/concerns. We have talked about it/looked at a few rings, so I’m not going in completely blind. I know that as long as it’s an emerald cut and yellow gold, then she will be happy. I’m excited!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate the comments/concerns @0515vision & @geckodani ! We discussed

Valid! Thanks for your comments/concerns. We have talked about it/looked at a few rings, so I’m not going in completely blind. I know that as long as it’s an emerald cut and yellow gold, then she will be happy. I’m excited!

Excellent!

emrld

Rough_Rock
Update: I received the ring! I had a strict deadline & there was a customs delay, so I ended up getting the package with only a few days to spare…I was stressed there for a minute, but it all worked out!

I love the ring so much!!! I proposed, and she loves it too

IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0609.jpeg

To our surprise, JP also featured the ring on their IG

JP post 1:
JP post 2:

JP post 3:

I’m overall thrilled with the quality and experience & we are so so happy with the end result.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous and congratulations!!! And thanks for taking us on this journey with you! We always appreciate seeing the happy endings to these threads. May the years bring love and wisdom and many many happy memories! :clap:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm not surprised at all that it was a feature, that is a fantastic ring.
Congratulations, I wish you both much joy!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous!! Enjoy

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning. I saw the video on IG and even commented on it. Congratulations! I have 19 more days to wait for mine!!

awessum-possum

Rough_Rock
Amazing! Can't wait for ours to arrive!

Any more insight you can share on the customs delay? I, too, have a very narrow delivery window I need to hit so I want to make sure I do everything I can to make things go smoothly.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Just for perspective, I didn't have any customs issues with my JP studs. As a matter of fact, I got it 2 days after my SR said it was shipped.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to you both!
The diamond and the ring are amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results