shape
carat
color
clarity

My dress is too short! HELP!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Honestly? Just have the dress shipped to you. That is the fastest way to have this sorted out, regardless of any outcome. Would you rather wait until the holidays, have it be incorrect, and therefor have even less time for them to rectify the situation?

I get that you would love for this to be fixed by December... But it absolutely cannot be if you don't try the gown on now.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl said:
Honestly? Just have the dress shipped to you. That is the fastest way to have this sorted out, regardless of any outcome. Would you rather wait until the holidays, have it be incorrect, and therefor have even less time for them to rectify the situation?

I get that you would love for this to be fixed by December... But it absolutely cannot be if you don't try the gown on now.

At this point my biggest concern is that the factory said that it's too small, regardless of what it looks like on me. I ordered it to be a certain length and if it's smaller than that length I'll have to hem it even more to wear flats, or go find shoes that are only an inch high, etc. If indeed they admit they made it too short, it can definitely be fixed by December. If they say that it was just a typo and the dress actually has a H2H measurement of 56'', then I'll ask someone to take it into the store to verify the measurement.

Honestly, the fact that they told me that the dress measures 53'' H2H and I've been trying to find out why for two weeks and not getting any answers is beginning to sound like an admission of guilt. I think they know they made the dress too short and are just laying low. Somebody who knows they did their job right would jump at the opportunity to clarify this situation.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I really think you should get the bridal salon involved. For one, that's the reason you pay extra for retail - for the customer service provided by the salon. Second, the factory may be more likely to speak to a store than an individual. I assume the factory does not employ a bunch of customer service reps as that is the job of the salons that sell the dresses (this may be why you're not receiving a timely response). Then there's also the possibility that it was the salon that screwed up and communicated the wrong length to the factory.

Finally, this seems to be causing you a lot of stress. Even though these people should be returning your emails, the reality is they are not. So I would try a different method. They can't ignore someone showing up in person with a dress in hand.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you called and talked to the bridal salon in person yet? Has your friend taken the dress back to them so they can measure it to confirm its length? Both are necessary steps to get this sorted out once and for all. Stop spinning your wheels, lady, and get some answers.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
Have you called and talked to the bridal salon in person yet? Has your friend taken the dress back to them so they can measure it to confirm its length? Both are necessary steps to get this sorted out once and for all. Stop spinning your wheels, lady, and get some answers.

The bridal salon said that it should be 56''. The factory said it's 53''. Neither will explain the discrepancy.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
mayerling said:
Dreamer_D said:

The bridal salon said that it should be 56''. The factory said it's 53''. Neither will explain the discrepancy.

Do you have it in writing from the salon that you wanted it to be 56"? Does the salon have it on your order form to the factory?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling said:

"Should" is the key word. I would have someone take it into the bridal salon and have them measure it. Saves you from having to fly across the world or ship the dress.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
CurlySue said:
mayerling said:
Dreamer_D said:

Do you have it in writing from the salon that you wanted it to be 56"? Does the salon have it on your order form to the factory?

Their size chart gives the standard H2H measurement as 59''. It also says you can pay extra for the short version which is 3 inches shorter, i.e. 56''. On my receipt it says I ordered the short version.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
amc80 said:
mayerling said:

"Should" is the key word. I would have someone take it into the bridal salon and have them measure it. Saves you from having to fly across the world or ship the dress.

Well, I caved and asked someone to take it in to be measured.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Updates:

Still waiting for the dress to be brought in to be measured. I contacted the consultant that sold it to me and asked for a measurement from top of bodice to hem that corresponds to an H2H measurement of 56''. This way the person that brings the dress in for me can have that number in mind and will know that if the dress is measured to be any shorter than that, then it was made incorrectly. Well, I asked for that measurement 2 days ago and am still waiting. I'm thinking of calling in instead.

On the bright side, I've got my shoes! They're really nice and if the dress is properly made they should fit perfectly.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
More updates:

I just called the store and tried to get them to explain what their criterion would be for determining that a dress was made too short. I didn't get far. They just kept trying to "reassure" me that it's going to be fine. I asked them what the dress length measurement would be for a H2H of 56'' and they said they don't know. So I asked them to measure a different dress from top to bottom and give me a measurement...

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Is someone still taking the dress into the salon?

The salon probably doesn't want to give you a measurement over the phone because the measurement is going to differ from dress to dress based on the shape of it. They don't want to get you upset about a measurement that may or may not even be relevant to your particular dress. If you bring the dress to them, then they can see if it is too short and then get on top of the factory to make it right.

I know this is stressing you out but if you get the salon annoyed at you, it's just going to make it harder for you in the long run.

Now, why don't we have a picture of those shoes???? :bigsmile:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
The latest thing is that they don't have a measurement for what the dress should be, but they keep insisting that the way to set my mind to rest would be to bring the dress in to be measured. What's the point of bringing it in to be measured if they don't know how long it's supposed to be anyway? They're going to magically determine that it's ok? :nono: :evil:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Oh, mayerling...

I am having a very difficult time reading your thread and not getting frustrated. The first step HAS to be getting that dress into the store to be measured accurately. Have them measure it basically from top to bottom so you know where it would fall on your body. I know you don't want to be an imposition on the person that currently has the dress for you, but you are really spinning your wheels in the mud here and not getting anywhere.

The store can't do a darn thing for you regarding fixing it if there isn't a problem, and you won't know if there is a problem or not until you get an absolutely accurate measurement. None of this "about" this long, "well, I measured it laying down" type stuff. If it were me, I would have the dress shipped to me and go from there. Yes, I know it's an added cost, especially if you would have to ship it back to have any errors fixed, but that expense would be worth the peace of mind of knowing where to go from here. My honest feeling is that the boutique did nothing wrong, and if they DID, they certainly won't take any time or money to fix the problem until you prove that. I can't think of any place in the world that would fix something like this knowing that you hadn't even tried it on to know if it was, indeed, too short!

I implore you to either have the dress shipped to you, or at the very least have the person with your dress take it in to the store and express ALL of your concerns regarding the measurements.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane said:
Oh, mayerling...

I am having a very difficult time reading your thread and not getting frustrated. The first step HAS to be getting that dress into the store to be measured accurately. Have them measure it basically from top to bottom so you know where it would fall on your body. I know you don't want to be an imposition on the person that currently has the dress for you, but you are really spinning your wheels in the mud here and not getting anywhere.

The store can't do a darn thing for you regarding fixing it if there isn't a problem, and you won't know if there is a problem or not until you get an absolutely accurate measurement. None of this "about" this long, "well, I measured it laying down" type stuff. If it were me, I would have the dress shipped to me and go from there. Yes, I know it's an added cost, especially if you would have to ship it back to have any errors fixed, but that expense would be worth the peace of mind of knowing where to go from here. My honest feeling is that the boutique did nothing wrong, and if they DID, they certainly won't take any time or money to fix the problem until you prove that. I can't think of any place in the world that would fix something like this knowing that you hadn't even tried it on to know if it was, indeed, too short!

I implore you to either have the dress shipped to you, or at the very least have the person with your dress take it in to the store and express ALL of your concerns regarding the measurements.

Like I said previously, I have asked somebody to take the dress in for me. The only think they're waiting for before they do that, is for the store to tell us how long the dress should be, so that when we take it in we - as well as the store - will know if there's a problem or not. Now, the store has said repeatedly that they don't know how long the dress is supposed to be. So my question is: what is the point of bringing it in to be measured if we don't have an objective way of knowing if and when there is a problem?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I just spoke to the manager. She said the dress is supposed to be 56'' long from bodice to hem. It obviously won't be, but I'm glad to have finally gotten a number out of them. So now I've authorised somebody to take it in to be measured and I'll wait to see what happens.

Thanks to everyone who's given me advice on this. :))

meresal

Ideal_Rock
The shoes look great. However, they have a 4 inch heel. (I thought you only had room for 3 inches, if the dress is made correctly?)

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
They are a four inch heel, but I tried them on and they don't make me 4 inches taller. I am 1.60m and with the shoes I am 1.67m. If the dress is made correctly there should be an extra half a centimetre which would have to be hemmed.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is frustrating on so many levels.....

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling said:
So my question is: what is the point of bringing it in to be measured if we don't have an objective way of knowing if and when there is a problem?

What ultimately matters is how long the dress is. If it is measured and is too short, then there is a problem. It only matters what the salon says as to have recourse in case there is a problem. But you won't know that until you get it measured. You could be completely stressing yourself out for nothing.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
amc80 said:
mayerling said:
So my question is: what is the point of bringing it in to be measured if we don't have an objective way of knowing if and when there is a problem?

What ultimately matters is how long the dress is. If it is measured and is too short, then there is a problem. It only matters what the salon says as to have recourse in case there is a problem. But you won't know that until you get it measured. You could be completely stressing yourself out for nothing.

Actually, I'm not really that stressed any more. Like I've said repeatedly, I've arranged for somebody to take the dress in to be measured (although I can't dictate to them when that should be), and I've gotten the salon to actually acknowledge that if there is a problem they will replace the dress despite it having been discontinued.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
taovandel said:
This thread is frustrating on so many levels.....

I'm sorry this is frustrating to you. I was only trying to ask for advice not to annoy people.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling said:
I just spoke to the manager. She said the dress is supposed to be 56'' long from bodice to hem. It obviously won't be, but I'm glad to have finally gotten a number out of them. So now I've authorised somebody to take it in to be measured and I'll wait to see what happens.

Wait, why are you so sure it won't be 56"?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:
mayerling said:

Wait, why are you so sure it won't be 56"?

Because according to the size chart it's supposed to be 56'' hollow to hem not bodice to hem. Also, it's very unlikely that the person who measured it for me would have been off by 6 inches.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETrillion said:
i might be able to calm you a bit. I'm a bridal consultant in Southern CA who also happens to be 5'3" :) let me explain how the hollow to hem measurement works

the hollow to hem measurement is the lenght of the dress from the top of the bodice to the hem of the dress.

Mayerling, ETrillion told you that the hollow to hem measurement is the length of the dress from the bodice to the hem. So if it's 56" like the shop says, then all is well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results