carat
color
clarity

My dress is too short! HELP!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Dear PSers,

I need all the advice and help I can get. MY DRESS IS TOO SHORT! :errrr:

I ordered it three months ago and it's ready. A relative has picked it up for me but I won't see it for another 4 months when I'm next in the US. I decided to start looking around for shoes, though, and thought I should enquire as to the exact length so I know what kind of heel to look at. My relative said the dress looks to be about 4 feet long which seemed to be too short so I decided to check with the designer to make sure.

Now, I should mention that when I ordered the dress I was told it's made for a 5'9'' person and was advised to pay a small fee to customise it so that it's made for a 5'6'' person. I'm 5'3'' so I thought that would be great as it would leave 3 inches for shoes. So I went ahead and I ordered it. Unfortunately, I didn't ask for a hollow-to-hem measurement and trusted that the consultant knew what she was doing when she advised me to order the shorter dress.

When the dress came in and I was told that it looks to be about 4 feet long, I emailed her to ask exactly how long it is and she said the hollow-to-hem measurement is 56''. At the same time, I emailed the designer and they said the petite comes with a hollow-to-hem measurement of 53''. I measure 52'' from hollow to hem *barefoot*! So naturally I'm now very stressed as it's obvious that the dress is going to be too short. I'm inclined to believe the designer's measurement rather than the consultant's. It looks like the consultant somehow messed up as there's no way a 53'' dress would fit a 5'6'' bride. I realise that my only option now is to wear flats but I'd like to make sure there are no alternatives before I do that (I'm tiny and FI is 6'3''; I really wanted to minimise the difference by wearing heels). I should also mention that the dress has now been discontinued. I've also been emailing designer and consultant since I got this info and nobody has replied.

I guess my question is: is there any way that I could lengthen a petite dress?

HELP! :(

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
mayerling, i don't know anything about altering wedding gowns, so i won't be much help. but i wanted to point out the silver lining, it's too short to wear heels with but it's not too short for YOU. you won't have a "high-water" dress on or anything. try not to stress too much. if the designer/consultant/seamstress come up with a solution, fabulous! if not, rock flats & just think of how comfy your feet will be that day. but here's a little *****DUST***** i do hope they can come up with a solution that makes you completely happy.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the dust, Lulu!

I'm still hoping somebody might be able to help so that I don't have to wear flats. FI is so much taller I'll look tiny next to him. :((

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I gather from the lack of replies that people think there's no way I could increase the length.

If anybody can think of anything please post as I'm freaking out about this. :errrr:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no!

I feel utterly useless as I can't offer any real advice, especially as I don't know what the dress looks like, but perhaps you can let out the hem? Or perhaps your seamstress can add a layer of lace underneath?

No idea, sorry. And like others have suggested, flats would look gorgeous! There are many designers who offer sparkly bridal flats - your feet will look stylish but feel comfy! If the height difference really bothers you, you can mention it to your photographer? A good photographer will know how to minimize the height difference...

Sorry I can't be of any help. Best of luck for the wedding!

Do let us know the verdict once you try it on - maybe it will "look" longer?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, very disappointing and frustrating situation.

This is the beautiful dress you got?

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections ... &colorId1=

When will you be able to try the dress on and when is your wedding?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't freak out just yet! Wait until you try the dress on.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I was trying to link to an Alfred Angelo dress in a previous thread from OP, but the link didn't post properly and then I saw OP said the dress was discontinued.

The dress in this thread is too short?

bride-world-wide-grooms-grooves/ladies-this-is-it-t144855.html

If you find the dress really is too short and the salon will not make amends for the consultant's error in the form of a new dress, perhaps a seamstress at the salon or an independent dress maker can add complimentary material (lace?) around the bottom of the dress.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl said:
I wouldn't freak out just yet! Wait until you try the dress on.

ditto...try it on and get to a seamstress ASAP

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins said:
Hmm, very disappointing and frustrating situation.

This is the beautiful dress you got?

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections ... &colorId1=

When will you be able to try the dress on and when is your wedding?

My wedding is not for another year and I won't be able to try the dress on for another 4 months.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
There is no reason why a qualified seamstress couldn't add a band around the bottom. It would be ideal to get the same fabric from the designer. If it was done properly (fabric cut on a bias just like the dress was originally) it would be hardly noticeable and could even be embellished with trim to look like it belonged.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Trekkie said:
Oh no!

I feel utterly useless as I can't offer any real advice, especially as I don't know what the dress looks like, but perhaps you can let out the hem? Or perhaps your seamstress can add a layer of lace underneath?

No idea, sorry. And like others have suggested, flats would look gorgeous! There are many designers who offer sparkly bridal flats - your feet will look stylish but feel comfy! If the height difference really bothers you, you can mention it to your photographer? A good photographer will know how to minimize the height difference...

Sorry I can't be of any help. Best of luck for the wedding!

Do let us know the verdict once you try it on - maybe it will "look" longer?

Is it possible to let out the hem on a petite dress?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
swingirl said:
There is no reason why a qualified seamstress couldn't add a band around the bottom. It would be ideal to get the same fabric from the designer. If it was done properly (fabric cut on a bias just like the dress was originally) it would be hardly noticeable and could even be embellished with trim to look like it belonged.

Do you think I could get them to give additional fabric?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure you ordered a petite dress? 5'6" doesn't strike me as petite...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
meresal said:

The consultant told me my dress comes for a 5'9'' bride and advised me to get the 'short' version on it as that one comes for a 5'6'' bride and since I'm 5'3'' would allow 3 inches for shoes. On the receipt, it says that I ordered a 'short' and paid $50 extra for it.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your replies. You've given me hope that not all is lost.

I need some more advice, though. Is there any way I can get the store to remedy the situation for me? I've been emailing them for days and have had no replies.

The thing is that there is nothing in writing regarding the exchange I had with the consultant where she told me that the dress's standard length is for a 5'9'' bride and that I should get the short which is for a 5'6'' bride. So I suppose it's just my word against hers. On the receipt it just says that I paid extra for the short version and that all sales are final and there are no returns, exchanges, or refunds. Since they messed up, do you think it's possible for me to demand a return, exchange, or to ask them to fix it in the ways some of you suggested without being charged extra?

ETrillion

Rough_Rock
i might be able to calm you a bit. I'm a bridal consultant in Southern CA who also happens to be 5'3" :) let me explain how the hollow to hem measurement works

the hollow to hem measurement is the lenght of the dress from the top of the bodice to the hem of the dress. Perhaps when you think "hollow to hem" you think of the measurement from the hollow of your throat to the hem of the dress and that's what is making you nervous. I hate to see you worry over something that might be perfectly fine to begin with.

I read your post yesterday and had my friend (another bridal consultant) measure what the hollow to hem on a dress would be for me since i am the same height as you are. standing barefoot 53" (the length of a petite hollow to hem) comes up past my shoulders. i put on a pair of shoes that are 3" tall and the 53" hollow to hem falls right where the bodice of a dress should be.

I know you dont have a chance to see you dress for a few more months, so to ease your mind grab a friend and try this out. put on a strapless top and a pair of heels about the same height as the ones you plan to wear for your wedding. stand up tall and have a friend use a measuring tape to measure the length from the top of your strapless top to about 1/4 to and 1/8 off the floor. I'm almost positive that you will find 53" is a good length for your height.

If for any reason once you see your dress and it is indeed too long I can also offer ideas as to how to make the dress long enough for you.

I hope I helped!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
ETrillion said:
i might be able to calm you a bit. I'm a bridal consultant in Southern CA who also happens to be 5'3" :) let me explain how the hollow to hem measurement works

the hollow to hem measurement is the lenght of the dress from the top of the bodice to the hem of the dress. Perhaps when you think "hollow to hem" you think of the measurement from the hollow of your throat to the hem of the dress and that's what is making you nervous. I hate to see you worry over something that might be perfectly fine to begin with.

I read your post yesterday and had my friend (another bridal consultant) measure what the hollow to hem on a dress would be for me since i am the same height as you are. standing barefoot 53" (the length of a petite hollow to hem) comes up past my shoulders. i put on a pair of shoes that are 3" tall and the 53" hollow to hem falls right where the bodice of a dress should be.

I know you dont have a chance to see you dress for a few more months, so to ease your mind grab a friend and try this out. put on a strapless top and a pair of heels about the same height as the ones you plan to wear for your wedding. stand up tall and have a friend use a measuring tape to measure the length from the top of your strapless top to about 1/4 to and 1/8 off the floor. I'm almost positive that you will find 53" is a good length for your height.

If for any reason once you see your dress and it is indeed too long I can also offer ideas as to how to make the dress long enough for you.

I hope I helped!

Thanks, ETrillion. This is really helpful! I'm still confused, though. Everything I've read about hollow-to-hem says it's measured from the hollow of the throat to the floor. Is that not accurate?

Also, I've looked at the designer info regarding hollow-to-hem measurement on a standard dress and it says that it's 59'' and that the short is 3 inches shorter which would make it 56''. I guess this would make sense if the 53'' they told me about refer to the top of the bodice to the hem so that an extra 3'' would be from hollow-to-hem, but this is confounded by the fact that the person who picked up the dress for me says it only looks to be about 4 feet long...

ETrillion

Rough_Rock
you're welcome :)

when taking the measurements for hollow to hem, the hollow of the throat is used as a refrence point only. we use it when taking measurements for the customization but after that the "hollow" part is only used to describe the process, not the finished length of the dress. they measure the distance from the hollow of throat to top of the bodice, bodice top to waist, waist to floor, and hollow to floor to make sure the proportions of the dress will fit your frame after the hollow to hem changes are made. people in the industry refer to it as "hollow to hem" but the actual measurement of the finished garment will be from the top of the bodice to the floor. so the designer's website is right, the hollow to hem of your dress will be 56" but the total length of the actual dress will be 53".

i'm so sorry the person who picked up your dress freaked you out like that. was a tape measurer not available? :confused: and in reality 4 feet is 48", so give or take an extra 5 inches that person was kinda right :roll:

i'm sorry you were so worried about this, but in my professional opinion you will be just fine and your dress will be the right length for you. :appl:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
ETrillion said:
you're welcome :)

when taking the measurements for hollow to hem, the hollow of the throat is used as a refrence point only. we use it when taking measurements for the customization but after that the "hollow" part is only used to describe the process, not the finished length of the dress. they measure the distance from the hollow of throat to top of the bodice, bodice top to waist, waist to floor, and hollow to floor to make sure the proportions of the dress will fit your frame after the hollow to hem changes are made. people in the industry refer to it as "hollow to hem" but the actual measurement of the finished garment will be from the top of the bodice to the floor.

i'm sorry you were so worried about this, but in my professional opinion you will be just fine and your dress will be the right length for you.

This is so helpful! Ok, my next action will be to check with them whether the 53-inch measurement they gave me refers to the length of the actual dress rather than the hypothetical hollow-to-hem measurement.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
ETrillion, I have an additional question: In your experience, is the norm for dresses to be made for a 5'9'' bride? That's what I was told. But now I'm thinking the consultant made a mistake and the norm is for dresses to be made for 5'6'' brides which is why the petite seems to be too short for me.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is going in a bit different direction, but
is it possible to find 2 pair of shoes at this point?

One pair of dynamite flats and one pair of
wonderful heels?

That way, whatever length the dress, you will have
gorgeous footwear??????
U have plenty of time for that!

I'm about 5'9" and I wondered why every wedding dress I
tried on fit me perfectly in length!
I figure altering a gown is where they getcha!!!! 8-)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
mayerling said:
meresal said:

The consultant told me my dress comes for a 5'9'' bride and advised me to get the 'short' version on it as that one comes for a 5'6'' bride and since I'm 5'3'' would allow 3 inches for shoes. On the receipt, it says that I ordered a 'short' and paid $50 extra for it.

IMO, "short" does not mean "petite". These may be two separate things and the designer just didn't specify. I consider people that are below 5'2" to be petite.

Have you heard from the consultasnt yet? Has she confirmed that your dress is indeed only the 53"? I would wait until you hear from her and then move forward. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt since she sais it would be 56".

Did you sign a receipt that indicated it would be 56" or did it just say "short"? (This will be key when talking about liability, just in case it is wrong)

ETA: I misread and thought you WERE 5'6". My apologies. Please disregard my incompetence.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
meresal said:
mayerling said:
meresal said:

IMO, "short" does not mean "petite". These may be two separate things and the designer just didn't specify. I consider people that are below 5'2" to be petite.

Have you heard from the consultasnt yet? Has she confirmed that your dress is indeed only the 53"? I would wait until you hear from her and then move forward. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt since she sais it would be 56".

Did you sign a receipt that indicated it would be 56" or did it just say "short"? (This will be key when talking about liability, just in case it is wrong)

ETA: I misread and thought you WERE 5'6". My apologies. Please disregard my incompetence.

The consultant said it's 56'', the designer says it's 53''. I'm more inclined to believe the designer and asked the consultant about this but she hasn't replied. Also, the designer said that standard waist-to-hem is 38 and 1/4 inch and short is 35''. Isn't that incredibly short for waist-to-hem?

On the receipt it just says 'short'. I know I'm mostly to blame for taking their word for it that it would be made for a 5'6'' person and for not asking for an actual measurement on the receipt.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling, I'm sure your dress will be fine. ETrill did a great job of explaining the whole measurement concept.

As far as not doing all of the measurements for you at the shop... I know that my studio charged a $200 fee for the dress to be made to exact measurments. If the bride didn't want to pay that fee, then they would just pick the closest size to your measurements. That might be why they didn't give you an exact H2H measurment for your dress.

It sounds like the designer and the consultant just have a different way of explaining the same thing.

As far as believing the designer over the consultant... I only said this, because the designer I worked for, had no idea what was going on at her studio. She and her husband would wander in every couple of weeks and would end up confusing customers because they were giving out information before looking at invoices. I would really try to get in touch with the consultant and get her version, since she is who you spoke with before. In a perfect business, the designer should have talked with her consultant first, looked over your info, and THEN gotten back with you. She is causing uneeded stress for a bride, and in this industry that is what you want to avoid at all cost.

I'm sorry you are being pulled thru this. I hope the dress is exactly what you envisioned.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
meresal said:
Mayerling, I'm sure your dress will be fine. ETrill did a great job of explaining the whole measurement concept.

As far as not doing all of the measurements for you at the shop... I know that my studio charged a $200 fee for the dress to be made to exact measurments. If the bride didn't want to pay that fee, then they would just pick the closest size to your measurements. That might be why they didn't give you an exact H2H measurment for your dress.

It sounds like the designer and the consultant just have a different way of explaining the same thing.

As far as believing the designer over the consultant... I only said this, because the designer I worked for, had no idea what was going on at her studio. She and her husband would wander in every couple of weeks and would end up confusing customers because they were giving out information before looking at invoices. I would really try to get in touch with the consultant and get her version, since she is who you spoke with before. In a perfect business, the designer should have talked with her consultant first, looked over your info, and THEN gotten back with you. She is causing uneeded stress for a bride, and in this industry that is what you want to avoid at all cost.

I'm sorry you are being pulled thru this. I hope the dress is exactly what you envisioned.

Oh, I'm probably misleading people by saying 'the designer'. I'm not in contact with the actual designer. I just emailed the headquarters of the designer that I got my dress from and they got me in touch with somebody from their production team. I just say 'the designer' so as not to say 'someone from the designer's production team'.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Ohh ok. Totally understand now.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling said:
Thanks, ETrillion. This is really helpful! I'm still confused, though. Everything I've read about hollow-to-hem says it's measured from the hollow of the throat to the floor. Is that not accurate?

Also, I've looked at the designer info regarding hollow-to-hem measurement on a standard dress and it says that it's 59'' and that the short is 3 inches shorter which would make it 56''. I guess this would make sense if the 53'' they told me about refer to the top of the bodice to the hem so that an extra 3'' would be from hollow-to-hem, but this is confounded by the fact that the person who picked up the dress for me says it only looks to be about 4 feet long...

If it were 4 feet long, that would only be 48 inches. So I don't think the person who picked it up is accurate.

I agree with Meresal, a dress for a 5'6" bride doesn't strike me as a petite. Perhaps the designer offers a petite length dress too, but this probably is not what you ordered. Petite and short aren't necessarily the same thing.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:
mayerling said:

If it were 4 feet long, that would only be 48 inches. So I don't think the person who picked it up is accurate.

I agree with Meresal, a dress for a 5'6" bride doesn't strike me as a petite. Perhaps the designer offers a petite length dress too, but this probably is not what you ordered. Petite and short aren't necessarily the same thing.

I was told that it looks to be about 4 feet long. That seems to make a lot of sense given that the hollow-to-hem measurement is 53''. I can definitely see 3-4 inches between the base of my throat and the start of the bodice.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
You could save yourself endless turmoil if you just call the person that has your dress, have them get a tape measure, and measure it from top to bottom. Then you'll know exactly what you're working with! It just seems silly to get so worked up without actually knowing how long your dress is! If you find it's too short, THEN you can start thinking of options, but it's important to get a real measurement on YOUR specific dress from the person that has it right now, rather than just "about four feet".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results