shape
carat
color
clarity

My downgrade!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many of you on the forum have been here since the beginning. A young 19 year old in the wrong relationship, from my cushette to my protype AVC to my antique engagement ring, to my selling that diamond and getting a lower color AVR. I ADORE my AVR but was always concerned about the size-I think in each of my stones the reason I wasn't happy was well-because they weren't me. While beautiful and stunning in every measurable way they just weren't 'me'. I've done a huge jewelry box clean out-my 1ctw OEC twin bypass ring from JBEG is gone, my 1ctw OEC studs are pending payment and the one I never thought I'd sell was my OMC/OEC snowflake pendant and that has a new neck in missy. I've found my ears are allergic to whatever alloy is in my bezel set emerald studs from my grandma as well as sterling causes me to react.
Our goal of being off the grid homesteaders gets more serious as we learn and understand more about ourselves and thus a 1.64 AVR just isn't suitable for me or my lifestyle. As a little girl I always dreamed of having a sapphire and as time went on, a JM ring had my heart. After much deliberation I let the JM ring go and bought myself a stunning Carol Ackerman 18k YG leaf sapphire and diamond bezel ring. I had Grace size it to a 4.5 and add sizing 'bumps' to wear it on as a RHR until we find a buyer for my wedding set (or diamond). And have already put my ring in the box (I'm REALLY hoping my gf's dad buy it for her mom as an upgrade) and every time I look at my beautiful sapphire ring my heart smiles.
The size proportion to my tiny finger is PERFECT-the color changes in the sapphire go from a rich deep blue to a purple periwinkle color and every shade in between. I won't be making (that's right I AM MAKING IT YAY!) my band until the diamond sells-but when that happen I'll be taking a DIY your own jewelery course in Toronto that allows you to make your own jewlery with goldsmiths. I'm pretty excited!
The details on the designer for the ring also make me believe it was meant to be for me-she's from Toronto! She no longer lives here but I do like the fact that she was from where I ended up transplanted.

I will ALWAYS love all things bling-and treasure the friendships and advice and distraction this forum has allowed me but no longer will I use bling/buying to distract me from issues I have buried inside or obsess over if something is right down to the loop check. In my late 20's I've owned more diamonds than anyone else I know-all ideal cut-bigger studs and diamond pendants than most of my friends sport in their wedding sets, a beautiful vintage sapphire diamond and platinum watch and the list goes on and on. I think one day maybe I'll own another nice piece or two but not for a long time. I'm very happy with having little to no piece as I tend to stick with what I love and don't change them out. I've also been finding I prefer to create my own pieces out of semi precious stones, support more organic and artisan work and invest in my hobbies such as weaving and dying and the textile arts (I just got my dream baby wrap at the extreme discounted rate of 750$-down from 1800$ retail-so it's not like I"m giving up luxury buying all together lol).

Focus now is on finishing up the house, homeschooling my boys and learning about homesteading while changing things to become a healthier person physically, emotionally and just bringing love and light to each and every person I encounter.

I hope my journey inspires others to take a leap. If something feels off, explore the deep roots of the possibilities of why. Without further ado my new engagement ring-a Carol Ackerman sapphire bezel set in yellow gold.

img_12435.jpg

fullsizerender_10_.jpg

fullsizerender_9_.jpg

fullsizerender_9_0.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couple of pictures from Graces shutterfly

And in case anyone is wondering how on earth something can fetch that much for a piece of cloth I included a picture of the art yardage I drooled over for 4 years. One of a kind, cotton and raw silk and all naturally dyed by the dye artist prior to weaving it up. Happy momma right now with my sapphire bling and my baby wrap. :D

cathy_ackerman_leaf_sapphire_ring_16-x2.jpg

nttcherryblossom.jpg

nttcherryblossom2.jpg

cathy_ackerman_leaf_sapphire_ring_6-s.jpg

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't look downgradey to me. Very Pretty!! The richness of the gold, the brush gold leaf with diamond, the perfect blue sapphire...Match made in heaven. Congrats and enjoy! :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a rich looking ring and what a rich story. Thanks for sharing and enjoy wearing your beautiful ring.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your story and profession :)

Feel free to also share pics of the jewellery from your past, as well!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*progression

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admired that beauty on Grace's site for a while. :love: Happy to read it found what sounds like the perfect home for her. Congratulations; not a downgrade at all that I can see. If it makes your heart happy, that's the ultimate upgrade IMO. :bigsmile:

RuthG

Rough_Rock
That sapphire is amazing and just pops with warmth, I love it!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lets see if I can find pictures of what has passed though my hot hands.

I've got more, including a sapphire/diamond bezel band that I sold-and quite a few others. Baby work up. Your right-not much of a downgrade but many PSers probably have a hard time fathoming selling a big beautiful AVR for under a carat sapphire ::)

_37974.jpg

p1000891_-_1.jpg

13119870_10208206711019993_3695678811305902842_0.jpg

_37975.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stunning sapphire watch that was a major PITA and kept needing serviced so I swapped that towards the bypass ring (which I've since sold). I'm hunting for the topaz pieces I had...beautiful but when they arrived it looked like I put holders on my ears! Traded those, the sapphire and diamond bezel band and one other liece for my sapphire watch-oh yeah! My .75 ctw Diamond studs before I got my upgraded pair (which are pending).
I'll try and find pictures if the .85 I SI1 cushette and the 1.31 J SI2 AVC but those may be long gone.

_37976.jpg

_37977.jpg

_37978.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a lovely thread you've started! I think we have a lot in common, though I still love wearing my diamond ring. ;-) I am a textile artist and have a whole bunch of kids. I am a decade older than you, I think. Your sapphire ring is lovely!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your new ring, it looks perfect on you, and sounds perfect for you! :appl: The setting is just amazing and the sapphire is gorgeous - congrats on finding the ring that makes you content and happy! :dance:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful sapphire. Enjoyed your story. :wavey:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1470250345|4062164 said:
What a lovely thread you've started! I think we have a lot in common, though I still love wearing my diamond ring. ;-) I am a textile artist and have a whole bunch of kids. I am a decade older than you, I think. Your sapphire ring is lovely!

Ohhhh I want to see your work and hear details about this! How many kids do you have? I turned 28 on leap day, not old but finally have caught up to my age after recovering from the traumatic childhood/youth/young adult. I wouldn't trade any of it for anything though-but i have dicovered I enjoy changing up bolder sterling and large stone pieces over vintage or bling bling pieces. I wear a huge chunk of labradite (sp?) and am interested in making my own jewelery and setting stones. I've been wearing stuff like 'momma metal' and here are a few additions to my collections (because lets be serious just because I've moved a lot doesn't mean more haven't come in the door-I just wasn't sure they were PS post worthy lol).

Here is my sterling silver and 20k YG oak leaf and my labradite that I wear. I still have my OMC bezel necklace from JBG as well as a few other diamond pieces and a couple of emerald piece I inherited but all of my other diamonds have set sail to other homes.

I think a decade of in and out pieces may put most people over the edge. I never felt sad letting any of the pieces go-although the bypass ring I did chicken on the buyer once and a couple months later sent her a message and decided to mail it from Canada to prevent me from changing my mind again LOL! The snowflake had no regrets since I had wanted that babywrap for many years and didn't wear it at all last winter-likely due to the fact I had a newborn who liked to yank on things-hence the momma metal. My husbands daddy metal just arrived (dutch shoes, one copper and one silver with wire wrapped tourm and peridot for the boys birth stones) but that's still in the mailbox. I love my momma bear paw too! The boys play with it/chew on it while I wear them or are nursing (although I no longer wear or nurse my 3.5 year old lol)

img_12436.jpg

13912591_10154420215977940_8528699510875521808_n.jpg

13713277_1591914167774387_1584781654_n.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's gorgeous and looks wonderful on your hand! Congrats!

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
YAY!!! I was hoping a PSers snatched up that ring. I stalked it for many moons and almost pulled the trigger a dozen times. I'm absolutely in love with that ring. rich gold and sapphires make my heart sing and that sapphire is just amazing!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way is this a downgrade! It's such an upgrade in beauty and style!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love labradorite, too! I wear it a lot.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing all of those details and pics! I think I may be similar to you - I'm obsessed with bling but I don't think it will fit my lifestyle long term :/

Also my engagement ring is labradorite :)

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Vinatgelover--it makes MY heart sing that you are so happy with this ring! It never saw the light of day when I had it, in part because I do not have tiny elegant fingers like yours. That electric blue sapphire just got lost on my enormous digits.

I will be twice your age in a couple of weeks and this is as good a birthday present as I could wish for, that this ring could go to someone that would really appreciate it and enjoy it

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations vintagelover for finding what is you and what works for your life. Wonderful step forward. Your ring is truly beautiful and a reflection of where you are and what you value.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
You sound so happy! Your ring is wonderful. I think most people would be ecstatic with it.

And your wrap, it's phenomenal! The craftsmanship of such fabrics is hard to comprehend. I'm more of a ring sling and carrier person but I know many moms who love a beautiful cushy dreamy wrap.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 vintage lover does have really beautiful slender elegant fingers! Hand model!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As soon as you said sapphire Carol Ackerman ring I knew exactly what ring you were talking about. Such a beautiful rich piece of jewelry, I also really was drawn to that piece. Being a low set bezel it should be very wearable. Thank you for sharing your journey. It is nice to to see the beautiful pieces but yes it looks like you are embracing a simpler more authentic "you".

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1470274976|4062324 said:
As soon as you said sapphire Carol Ackerman ring I knew exactly what ring you were talking about. Such a beautiful rich piece of jewelry, I also really was drawn to that piece. Being a low set bezel it should be very wearable. Thank you for sharing your journey. It is nice to to see the beautiful pieces but yes it looks like you are embracing a simpler more authentic "you".

haha I felt the same way! I immediately knew the ring and was very happy for you. Seeing pictures it looks lovely on your hand, and I'm sure it's extremely comfortable. Happy for you that you seem to be embracing a simpler lifestyle that works for you :wavey:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
So happy that you got what you wanted. Looks perfect on you. Congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is SUCH a gorgeous ring, VL, and I think it fits your style perfectly! :love: The sapphire is beautiful in the yellow gold and the setting design is just beautiful! Good for you for going for what you love and best fits your lifestyle!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring. The sapphire is such a terrific color - it absolutely glows.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is a stunner and it's gorgeous in the brushed yellow gold. I love a bezel too and it's just so practical yet beautiful for wearing around young kiddos ::) .

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love your ring and the choices you have made, good for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results