shape
carat
color
clarity

My DK/Jerry Newman/Zircon adventure

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Last year I bought an original art deco 18k wg ring. One of those, "well, dang, I'm going to have to buy that" deals. But the 10.5 mm zircon was in rough shape with facet abrasions and a girdle chip. 20181201_115924.jpg

I had Jerry Newman recut and resurface the stone, down to 9.6mm so it would fit in a David Klass setting I had made previously. DK just sent it back to me, and the zircon now has a new life , safely bezeled!
20181201_112226.jpg
As for the art deco setting, I've purchased a couple of amethysts (my husband 's birthstone) but I'm not sure yet. I'm on the hunt for the perfect gemstone still.
20181201_114628.jpg

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love zircons! The recut gave this Beauty a new life! Take care of her! =)2

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I love zircons! The recut gave this Beauty a new life! Take care of her! =)2

I love zircons too! This one had an old cut, and I'm a sucker for old cuts. Jerry said the pavillion was well cut, so we decided to keep the transitional cut. I love that it has a culet!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The zircon comes to life with the recut and in it's new home!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
It looks fabulous in your DK setting! What a great revamp of a beautiful old stone! Congrats!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!!!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The zircon looks so beautiful in its new home! I agree the amethyst doesn’t look quite right in the old setting. What about a garnet? Maybe a red-purple rhodolite might be nice and they are quite affordable in large sizes? Alternatively, chrysoberyl?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
The zircon looks so beautiful in its new home! I agree the amethyst doesn’t look quite right in the old setting. What about a garnet? Maybe a red-purple rhodolite might be nice and they are quite affordable in large sizes? Alternatively, chrysoberyl?

I do like rhodolite! I've been looking at indicolite or lagoon tourmaline, too. Maybe an electric blue swiss topaz? Jeez! So many pretty options!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looooooove zircons!! So glad you have given this one a new life. Gorgeous stone and setting. Your ring looks amazing

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That is really lovely- so pretty!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Zircons and am a sucker for old cuts too....your new ring is just beautiful!:love:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous Zircon and the setting is beautiful. :love:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT recut! The zircon looks perfect in it's new setting.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the recut and the new setting, just gorgeous!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that zircon looks 10 times brighter now and I love it in that DK setting. The engraved halo is gorgeous! :love:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks terrific, such blinding sparkles! :clap:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
C-D, where did you find that stone?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I bought a 1920s antique ring with the stone in it, then had stone recut.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Wait, what?! Jerry Newman cuts syn spinel? Or did you buy the stone and he's recutting?
You will be so pleased with his cutting! And he's the nicest guy, super honest and straight forward too. I want details!!

I buy antique stuff all over..off IG, Etsy, Ruby Lane, antique stores. I've developed a pretty good eye for what's a good deal, what's real vs copy. I actually got that original deco ring off Poshmark (lots of junk there to bypass ) from a guy that I don't think realized/ appreciated what he had. But it came with a GIA gemologist's appraisal so I felt comfortable. You have to be careful, there's a lot out there labeled as antique that clearly is not. Learn hallmarks, etc before you dive in that pool!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Christy, go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page (second from the bottom) to see that stone and what he says about cutting synthetic. I asked him to make me one just like it. http://www.gemartservices.com/newstuff.htm
I've also found another guy through etsy that is cutting me one too. After I get both of them, I'll decide which one I like best, have it set, and sell the other.

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
"I've also found another guy through etsy"

Is it Alternatives Lapidary!? Did that work out? I'm curious about his stuff, looks impressive.

I hope you share both stones!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
"I've also found another guy through etsy"

Is it Alternatives Lapidary!? Did that work out? I'm curious about his stuff, looks impressive.

I hope you share both stones!
Yes, that's him. He seems very nice and has been easy to work with so far. I believe he's relatively inexperienced, and has to be because he's so young, but he was very eager to earn my business and responded professionally so I decided to give him a chance.
I will certainly post up the stones when I get them, but I'll have to do it in the Fashion Jewelry section because of them being synthetic.

Oops. Correction. It was Scott Laborie (Geology's Gems) on etsy.
I did talk to Phil and may get him to design a ring for me once I receive the stones, but I decided to go with Jerry and Scott for the stones themselves. He was responsive and professional as well.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that's him. He seems very nice and has been easy to work with so far. I believe he's relatively inexperienced, and has to be because he's so young, but he was very eager to earn my business and responded professionally so I decided to give him a chance.
I will certainly post up the stones when I get them, but I'll have to do it in the Fashion Jewelry section because of them being synthetic.

Oops. Correction. It was Scott Laborie (Geology's Gems) on etsy.
I did talk to Phil and may get him to design a ring for me once I receive the stones, but I decided to go with Jerry and Scott for the stones themselves. He was responsive and professional as well.

Scott cut my syn spinel and did a great job. It's not exactly the color I'm after so I'll likely sell it, but he's super nice and finished it really fast.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Scott cut my syn spinel and did a great job. It's not exactly the color I'm after so I'll likely sell it, but he's super nice and finished it really fast.
Yeah, I'm not sure how the color is going to turn out for me either.
I've found a source of syn-spinel through a seller on etsy and I may purchase a boule of exactly the color i want and have someone cut me a stone from it. If you're interested in going in halves on a boule, let me know.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's crazy how much brighter it is! In any light it just glows. I'm so happy I went through all these steps to get it done. And so many thanks to people here introducing me to Jerry!
20181203_210355.jpg

The recut came out amazing! It sparkles with life! Beautiful!!!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Whooot! Finally found the replacement stone for my old art deco ring! Just bought this 10mm Rose de France from Jeff Davies! I can't wait to see this stone in person, but its coming from the UK... (top pic is my photoshop of it in the setting.) Fingers crossed!
20190331_112225.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results