shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose? OEC or OMC?

weemie

Shiny_Rock
So I had posted these on another thread but the topic has now changed! I went from looking for a 1 carat around €2000 to a 1.6 or a 1.8 for considerable more! I have found two that I like that I can afford, and have the option of swapping out for an upgrade with the same jeweller when the time comes! I am unsure which one I’m going to go with, I would love to hear your opinions on it! One is a OEC 1.8 j si2 the other is an OMC 1.6 j vvs2
I love the finger coverage of the 1.8 and the cut of the 1.6.
I do worry about the si2 grading, neither have GIA reports but the seller is a trusted one in my area.
I don’t have exact measurements but both are being sized for me to try!
I like that I can get most of the price back upon upgrading at a later date when I can afford it.
the 1.8 is priced around 5000-5500 the 1.6 is 2000 more.
Help me decide please!!
The top is the 1.6 the bottom is the 1.8 that’s in natural light 1E147291-5ADC-4E75-A3B0-751015D746AC.jpeg A49446AE-CAB1-4A02-AF45-0F4E229E0F16.jpeg

weemie

Shiny_Rock
This is the 1.6

weemie

Shiny_Rock
E8C1D741-4E61-492E-B003-172D0FBEFCD3.jpeg

Attachments

• B2BA10E6-A89C-4831-AC77-AD6DB4DEA290.png
    B2BA10E6-A89C-4831-AC77-AD6DB4DEA290.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • 76820F44-8F4A-4F1D-98DD-6FE5A38E5BF8.png
    76820F44-8F4A-4F1D-98DD-6FE5A38E5BF8.png
    769 KB · Views: 29
  • 0312672E-419B-4531-9B35-93E5A1A617BE.jpeg
    0312672E-419B-4531-9B35-93E5A1A617BE.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 33

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you try a picture with your hand up in the air, light source behind your hand? That might help get a picture to see the facet pattern clearer.
lucky you to have someplace local AND they’ll take tradeups!

im leaning towards the OMC so far :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know what the diameter is of each? 1.6 Vs 1.8 doesn’t sound like a huge difference but a lot of OMC’a face up small for their carat weight. For example mine is 1.10 carats but faces up like a one carat.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Can you try a picture with your hand up in the air, light source behind your hand? That might help get a picture to see the facet pattern clearer.
lucky you to have someplace local AND they’ll take tradeups!

im leaning towards the OMC so far :)

Thanks for the reply! They are all the photos I have I’m afraid, I didn’t think of that! Yes so lucky, they will buy back for a good chunk of the purchase price as long as I’m upgrading. That was a huge deciding factor for me, as I’m usually an Etsy shopper! I was completely sold on the OMC for a while but the finger coverage of the other as well lo the price difference is wooing me big time!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Do you know what the diameter is of each? 1.6 Vs 1.8 doesn’t sound like a huge difference but a lot of OMC’a face up small for their carat weight. For example mine is 1.10 carats but faces up like a one carat.

I don’t know the diameter, it definitely feels like it faces up smaller and looks much smaller to me than the other. That’s my main gripe, as I’ve never had a chance to own a ring of this proportion. How it looks on my hand is a huge sway, but I know the cut and clarity are so important too so I’m very torn!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the pictures, I like the OMC a little bit more, it looks pretty nicely cut. The ring itself also has a nice flow to it, not sure if that makes sense lol!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I may be wrong, but I think I can see your finger thru both of them.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
I may be wrong, but I think I can see your finger thru both of them.

Oh I didn’t think that at all, what does that mean? Should I be walking away from both?

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Based on the pictures, I like the OMC a little bit more, it looks pretty nicely cut. The ring itself also has a nice flow to it, not sure if that makes sense lol!

Thank you, I like the setting on that one too!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I didn’t think that at all, what does that mean? Should I be walking away from both?

If you can see your finger thru the diamond as you slip the ring onto your finger then it has light leakage. Light is leaking out of the pavilion rather than being returned to your eye. If this is the case the diamond is likely shallow, and will have less sparkle than a well proportioned stone.

I may be wrong as I only see it in a couple of the photos and it could well be a reflection of your surroundings. The best way to tell is when you put the ring on your finger, if there's leakage you can more easily see your finger moving in and out of the ring thru the diamond.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
If you can see your finger thru the diamond as you slip the ring onto your finger then it has light leakage. Light is leaking out of the pavilion rather than being returned to your eye. If this is the case the diamond is likely shallow, and will have less sparkle than a well proportioned stone.

I may be wrong as I only see it in a couple of the photos and it could well be a reflection of your surroundings. The best way to tell is when you put the ring on your finger, if there's leakage you can more easily see your finger moving in and out of the ring thru the diamond.

Thank you that’s a great explanation! I really didn’t notice that while I was trying them on, I’ll pay close attention to it the next time. Which do you prefer? Or would you be walking away from both?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm having difficulty seeing the facet patterns in both stones, so not possible to choose. Can you get close up photos next time time?

You'll have better luck if the diamond is in the shade and not reflecting bright light back into the camera.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
I'm having difficulty seeing the facet patterns in both stones, so not possible to choose. Can you get close up photos next time time?

You'll have better luck if the diamond is in the shade and not reflecting bright light back into the camera.

Thank you, I have a few close ups of the OEC I’ve attached D060183E-79D0-4055-A8DD-473C4B0672BE.jpeg

Attachments

• 4523A01F-1B9C-40A5-A890-1712C4E69162.jpeg
    4523A01F-1B9C-40A5-A890-1712C4E69162.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 5E8915A4-883A-4103-99A9-2C7968CA7E0D.jpeg
    5E8915A4-883A-4103-99A9-2C7968CA7E0D.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 4DAEC5F7-E905-45FB-A6E6-16BBEBAB60D7.jpeg
    4DAEC5F7-E905-45FB-A6E6-16BBEBAB60D7.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 18

EC8

Shiny_Rock
So I had posted these on another thread but the topic has now changed! I went from looking for a 1 carat around €2000 to a 1.6 or a 1.8 for considerable more! I have found two that I like that I can afford, and have the option of swapping out for an upgrade with the same jeweller when the time comes! I am unsure which one I’m going to go with, I would love to hear your opinions on it! One is a OEC 1.8 j si2 the other is an OMC 1.6 j vvs2
I love the finger coverage of the 1.8 and the cut of the 1.6.
I do worry about the si2 grading, neither have GIA reports but the seller is a trusted one in my area.
I don’t have exact measurements but both are being sized for me to try!
I like that I can get most of the price back upon upgrading at a later date when I can afford it.
the 1.8 is priced around 5000-5500 the 1.6 is 2000 more.
Help me decide please!!
The top is the 1.6 the bottom is the 1.8 that’s in natural light 1E147291-5ADC-4E75-A3B0-751015D746AC.jpeg A49446AE-CAB1-4A02-AF45-0F4E229E0F16.jpeg

Hi, a bit confused about the OMC vs. OEC descriptions (they seem backwards), but from the photos provided, definitely the 1.6 i.e. the top ring vs. the other.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Hi, a bit confused about the OMC vs. OEC descriptions (they seem backwards), but from the photos provided, definitely the 1.6 i.e. the top ring vs. the other.

Thank you! I’m sorry I’m relatively new to it, I thought the smaller more faceted 1.6 carat stone was an OMC and the other, a 1.8 was an OEC! I was initially thinking the 1.6 but the finger coverage of the other was really swaying me!

EC8

Shiny_Rock
No worries; I was just clarifying which is more appealing to me based on the photos.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
No worries; I was just clarifying which is more appealing to me based on the photos.

=)2 Thank you! I just don’t want to make a mistake, or make an impulse purchase and regret it! Without buying online (import costs etc) these are the ones I can afford that I have found. Maybe I should try to save some more, but I can’t ever see myself paying much more anyway!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@weemie all other things aside, which facet pattern do you like better? And which one sparkles more?

And is the SI2 eye clean?

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Would you be sad to hear that one or the other of the rings is no longer available?
If not, then neither are the one.

camelotshadow

Rough_Rock
Premium
From what I can see esp in the vids is I like the 1.6 better for vibrance. The longer OMC is flat looking. It might not be cut well. I also like the ring design better on the 1.6 with the graduated shank. SI2 can vary & to some graders that could really be a I. Old diamonds were generally clean though tend to be J & above. With the 1.6 facing with so much brilliance & being a VS2 I would go with that one. I can;t see the facet pattern though but what matters is how it looks on the hand as most of us don't carry around loupes...LOL

$2000 more for the 1.6? That is alot so that might play into the decision but a VS2 stone will hold more value than a SI2.

Some OMC were table heavy. So face up size can only get you so far. A too deep or too shallow diamond will not play up as nice as one with better proportions.

Good Luck. Be sure. If you have the money you can always find what you want.
Don't think either are really discount.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@weemie Don't want to rock the boat but I was just searching for Art Deco ring inspo and came across this ring. The center stone looks a tad deep but this finger coverage is so good...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.8 seems to have crisper facets, but I can't be 100% sure with the pics and videos. hard to tell. I'd choose whichever has the more pleasing faceting. Which one does your heart tug you towards?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I have a few close ups of the OEC I’ve attached D060183E-79D0-4055-A8DD-473C4B0672BE.jpeg

In this first close up photo your 1.8ct appears to me to be more cushion shaped than round. I guess you could make a stretch and call it an out of round OEC, but I think GIA might call it an OMC. It seems to have the typical OMC pin wheel pattern under the table.

I prefer a more transitional flower petal pattern, but lots of ladies prefer this OMC type pattern. It really come down to what you like the best. It can take some time to learn, and be able to recognize the different patterns. If you are not sure what pattern you prefer, then it might be worth waiting until you do know for certain before committing a lot of money.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Based on what you’re saying, it seems like you’re leaning toward the OMC. That would likely be my choice of the two, but do you truly LOVE it? I can’t tell if either of these is making your heart skip a beat to be honest!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
@weemie all other things aside, which facet pattern do you like better? And which one sparkles more?

And is the SI2 eye clean?

I like the look of the SI2 more, it just call around me more! The SI2 has a tiny white feather, he had to point it out to me but I could see it then!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Would you be sad to hear that one or the other of the rings is no longer available?
If not, then neither are the one.

Yes, I would be so sad if one of them were gone, more so the SI2 I think :shock:
A huge factor for me is the jeweller buying back the ring for practically the same price if I’m upgrading, this would allow me to get another at a later date.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
From what I can see esp in the vids is I like the 1.6 better for vibrance. The longer OMC is flat looking. It might not be cut well. I also like the ring design better on the 1.6 with the graduated shank. SI2 can vary & to some graders that could really be a I. Old diamonds were generally clean though tend to be J & above. With the 1.6 facing with so much brilliance & being a VS2 I would go with that one. I can;t see the facet pattern though but what matters is how it looks on the hand as most of us don't carry around loupes...LOL

$2000 more for the 1.6? That is alot so that might play into the decision but a VS2 stone will hold more value than a SI2.

Some OMC were table heavy. So face up size can only get you so far. A too deep or too shallow diamond will not play up as nice as one with better proportions.

Good Luck. Be sure. If you have the money you can always find what you want.
Don't think either are really discount.

I think you’re right, the cut of the 1.8 is not as faceted! However the 1.6 just doesn’t have the same finger presence, though I prefer the fire! Again, the ability to trade in for what I bought it for is a big deal for me, others I have contacted have said they may not buy it back at all or would give me around 40-50% buy back

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results