shape
carat
color
clarity

My diamond stud search is on - need a little help to get started

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 8:50:02 PM
Author: pixley

Date: 2/16/2009 7:53:31 PM
Author: Gailey
So you''re not getting them from Birks? Good

My husband spent over C$4,000 on mine and I was so disappointed I could have cried.

Oh heck nooooo! The markup at Birks is insane, but it''s one of the few places that keeps multiple sizes of high color and clarity studs on hand. Most boutique jewelers where I live don''t carry a wide size range (and even those are over-priced) and the maul store studs are hideous beasts, so I wound up at Birks for my test drive phase.

I''m sorry to hear that you feel disappointed with yours. They do have an upgrade policy if you feel like you could improve upon the cut, but there isn''t any way to get around their ridiculous price points.

ETA - Wink''s going to take an IS photo but is not set up to take a good ASET image, so the IS will have to do. Stay tuned.
HI:

I''ve gotten two pair of diamond studs from Wink--and none from Birks
9.gif
! One pair was for my sister for Christmas and I got "mine" over a year ago and am very happy with the diamonds. No trouble with the martini''s either, but then again I don''t wear them very often....I forget....
20.gif

Good luck with the images!

cheers

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Sharon,
Your studs are awe inspiring! I saw them in the studs thread. WOW! Amazing stones from Jon and Wink! I don''t think I''ve ever seen your sister''s studs, but how sweet of you to give her those!!! Consider this is your reminder to slap those babies on and take them out for a spin!

How do you like the martini settings that Wink has? I wanted the more curvy ones like WF''s martinis but I don''t think he carries those as a regular stock setting.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 9:31:02 PM
Sharon,
Your studs are awe inspiring! I saw them in the studs thread. WOW! Amazing stones from Jon and Wink! I don''t think I''ve ever seen your sister''s studs, but how sweet of you to give her those!!! Consider this is your reminder to slap those babies on and take them out for a spin!

How do you like the martini settings that Wink has? I wanted the more curvy ones like WF''s martinis but I don''t think he carries those as a regular stock setting.
HI:

I don''t have much experience with any other martini''s but the ones Wink has...are the curvier ones a cross between a basket and martini?

BTW, the earrings I helped my BIL get for my sister are under a "peeler" thread Wink made for me/us and i posted it in SMTR. They are similar in size to mine, but clarities are higher. Both C by I stones for hers.

cheers--Sharon

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
I recently got the martini studs in platinum from GOG (104 tcw) and they are gorgeous! I looked through both WF & GOG and have also delt with Wink in the past. Honestly how can you go wrong with any of them? My earrings are stunning and the size is perfect on my little lobes. I ordered them up on Monday and they were sitting on my ears Thursday. They sent along a wonderful packet of info on the diamonds, a H&A viewer, and loupe too. I couldn''t be more pleased. One reason the helped the process along was their return policy, the buy back policy and naturally their "trade up" policy. I can''t imagine wanting to trade up these little beauties but they might just get a big sister pendant next year. The only stats I recall at the moment is that they''re both are .52, I, SI1, about 5.18mm. Also the settings were a bit cheaper than I expected or priced on other sites for platinum martinis.

(I know, none of this counts without pictures
26.gif
)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an exciting project. I think the size you are looking at will be perfect. I didn''t know that martini settings can stretch out earlobes. That will make me pause before getting a pair. I can''t wait to see what you get.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Canuk-gal - I didn't realize the peeler diamonds were your sisters! Those are magnificent!
30.gif
I'll have to check your thread and see what Wink's settings look like.

cnspotts - methinks you need to start yourself a SMTR thread for those new studs from GOG. Yummmmmmm! And I agree, GOG has fantastic upgrade policies.

marcyc - I think it'll be a fun size! Can't wait to have them! I don't know if everyone has the stretching issue, but perhaps it's related to the weight of the stones or how tightly you fasten the backings on.

Here's a link to a video that Wink was kind enough to make before heading home to dinner. He is a saint. He really went above and beyond for me. I swear I didn't ask for or expect him to go to the trouble of making a video but bless his heart, he did.

Please let me know what you think, and be honest! IS and ASET views are included.
http://www.screencast.com/t/JPufRJ1V

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pix,

I think they look fabulous and how kind of Wink to make the video for you!!
emthup.gif

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Wink''s site looks good. I only have good things to say about Jonathon, WF and Wink.

I purchased WF ACA H SI''s for my studs. I chose WF because their ACA line got such good reviews here and at the end of the day they are a great cut.

I have just panicked and taken out my earrings.....I''m going to check out my holes. I was thinking about changing my studs to danglies...may be NOT!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 4:29:12 AM
Author: Lorelei
Pix,
emthup.gif
Thanks LL! Any follow up questions I should ask Wink about after viewing the video? These will definitely be starter studs for me and I can work my way towards some Cut by Infinity studs next year
31.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:53:28 AM
Author: sparkles
Wink's site looks good. I only have good things to say about Jonathon, WF and Wink.

I purchased WF ACA H SI's for my studs. I chose WF because their ACA line got such good reviews here and at the end of the day they are a great cut.

I have just panicked and taken out my earrings.....I'm going to check out my holes. I was thinking about changing my studs to danglies...may be NOT!
Oh, don't panic! I don't think everyone has that issue. Come to think of it, I rarely hear about it, especially once you factor in alllll the PSrs with martini studs.

I love the WF ACA studs - H/SI1 would be my ideal and a big part of me wants the quality standards of those ACAs. Am actually having a bit of a struggle letting myself purchase uncerted stones and I wish I could have just gone for some 30 point ACAs, which would have given me the color and clarity options that I want, but I didn't want to start that large. However, at .54 tcw, I'm almost there...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 9:10:05 AM

Date: 2/17/2009 4:29:12 AM
Pix,
emthup.gif
Thanks LL! Any follow up questions I should ask Wink about after viewing the video? These will definitely be starter studs for me and I can work my way towards some Cut by Infinity studs next year
31.gif
Most welcome Pix!

I think you are about there, I would think they are eyeclean in that size but no harm in checking. They really look smashing!!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei - You are a sweetheart! I'll see if Wink can find someone with 20/20 vision to do one last clarity test for me. I know they're mini by PS standards, but where I live, they'll be as big as some engagement rings, so I do expect my coworkers to be all up in my ears when I first wear them. When I first got my e-ring, it was very disctracting for all of us at our team meetings.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 9:48:18 AM
Lorelei - You are a sweetheart! I''ll see if Wink find someone with 20/20 vision to do one last clarity test for me. I know they''re mini by PS standards, but where I live, they''ll be as big as some engagement rings, so I do expect my coworkers to be all up in my ears when I first wear them. When I first got my e-ring, it was very disctracting for all of us at our team meetings.
9.gif
They will be gorgeous Pix, classic and elegant and I think you will love the size!! And you are most welcome, very glad to help and I am really excited for you!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun project! I used my PS gift on .66 I/VS2 ACA studs from WF. I think they are a great everyday size but know I will upgrade in the future. Bwaahahaa. The martini settings have not stretched my holes but then again mine are so small I wouldn''t mind if they did a bit. Some earrings hurt if the posts are too thick. Anyways, you can''t go wrong! The thread on my studs is here.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 1:08:20 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Fun project! I used my PS gift on .66 I/VS2 ACA studs from WF. I think they are a great everyday size but know I will upgrade in the future. Bwaahahaa. The martini settings have not stretched my holes but then again mine are so small I wouldn''t mind if they did a bit. Some earrings hurt if the posts are too thick. Anyways, you can''t go wrong! The thread on my studs is here.
Ok, you just got those beauties! What size are you hoping to work up to? It''s good to know that there''s no stretching happening thus far.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:53:28 AM
Author: sparkles
Wink''s site looks good. I only have good things to say about Jonathon, WF and Wink.

I purchased WF ACA H SI''s for my studs. I chose WF because their ACA line got such good reviews here and at the end of the day they are a great cut.

I have just panicked and taken out my earrings.....I''m going to check out my holes. I was thinking about changing my studs to danglies...may be NOT!
No worries on the ''dangles'', sparkles. I have been wearing 1.50 ctw in leverback dangles for nearly two years now with no stretching issues.
1.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I can''t speak for everyone wearing martinis, but I wore my martini settings (with .34 each stones) for nearly two years before I built my leverback dangles.

I never had problems with the martini settings stretching the ear holes, and I think it''s because I don''t wear them overly tight. The back goes to my ear, but not tight tight. In this way, the base of the martini isn''t intruding into the piercing.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 1:36:27 PM
Date: 2/17/2009 1:08:20 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Ok, you just got those beauties! What size are you hoping to work up to? It''s good to know that there''s no stretching happening thus far.

I have had them for almost a year now (I think). I honestly don''t know what size I want. Probably a min. of .5ct in each ear. I have fairly small ear lobes but I do want something larger. I also will set them in a milgrained bezel (probably). I knew I would upgrade when I bought these so didn''t want to spend more than I had to on the settings. Also I NEVER sleep in them so maybe that is why I haven''t had an issue with my holes. Just a thought.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:21:21 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

How ''bout these?
9.gif

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193868.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1213029.asp

Besides Birks, where else have you gone, in the ''Chuck'' in search of earrings? You just might find some great, uncerted stones, in the exact size you want!

cheers--Sharon
Hey! Thanks for those linkies. Wink made me a nifty video, and our lovely Lorelei was able to check out the IS and ASET images and give her stamp of approval, so I''ll be ordering the stones from Wink and he''s going to look into setting options similar to the WF martinis for me, so that''s the only thing I''m waiting on. Woooohoooo!
36.gif

As for stores here, not too many options. The boutiques don''t stock many sizes of studs (ususally only teenies) so I went to Birks and the maul stores (Ann Louise, Peoples) to try on the other tcw sizes that weren''t available at Birks, but the stones there were pretty ookie.
32.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 8:30:53 PM

HI:

How ''bout these?
9.gif

Besides Birks, where else have you gone, in the ''Chuck'' in search of earrings? You just might find some great, uncerted stones, in the exact size you want!

cheers--Sharon
Hey! Thanks for those linkies. Wink made me a nifty video, and our lovely Lorelei was able to check out the IS and ASET images and give her stamp of approval, so I''ll be ordering the stones from Wink and he''s going to look into setting options similar to the WF martinis for me, so that''s the only thing I''m waiting on. Woooohoooo!
36.gif

As for stores here, not too many options. The boutiques don''t stock many sizes of studs (ususally only teenies) so I went to Birks and the maul stores (Ann Louise, Peoples) to try on the other tcw sizes that weren''t available at Birks, but the stones there were pretty ookie.
32.gif
HI:

Excellent!
36.gif
to Miss Lorelei etal !

cheers--Sharon

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
My martini studlettes are done!

Video from Wink is here: http://www.screencast.com/t/JghHBGuF8ol
36.gif
Will photos once they work their way to Canada. I can''t believe Wink went to the trouble of making a video for these little beauties. He truly goes above and beyond for his clients. Love that man!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 7:24:57 PM

36.gif
Will photos once they work their way to Canada. I can''t believe Wink went to the trouble of making a video for these little beauties. He truly goes above and beyond for his clients. Love that man!
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......!!!!!!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 8:35:47 PM

Date: 2/17/2009 8:30:53 PM

HI:

How ''bout these?
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
36.gif

32.gif
HI:

Excellent!
36.gif
to Miss Lorelei etal !

cheers--Sharon
* simper simper blush....**
12.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG they look BEAUTIFUL! You must post copious amounts of pictures when you get them!!!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 7:36:08 AM

36.gif

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......!!!!!!!!!!

MAJOR SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I am going nuts waiting for the package. Every day I have to put on my old earrings I just grumble and jam them on my earlobes just so there''s something there.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 11:26:25 AM
Author: geckodani
OMG they look BEAUTIFUL! You must post copious amounts of pictures when you get them!!!
36.gif
Thank you! I take horrific photos but will give it the old college try!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 11:45:08 AM

Date: 3/4/2009 7:36:08 AM

36.gif

MAJOR SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I am going nuts waiting for the package. Every day I have to put on my old earrings I just grumble and jam them on my earlobes just so there''s something there.
LOL!!! I bet!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results