shape
carat
color
clarity

My detachable drop earrings..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi...

Justjulia's thread on drop earrings has inspired me to share this project I completed a while ago.

I've been wanting some earrings with some sort of detachable drop mechanism FOREVER. (I think I even started a thread about it long ago). I never liked traditional dangle "jackets" because somehow they look like jackets to me: the dangling stones would seem to hang behind the stud, rather than under it, the way they would if the earring were one piece. Does this make any sense?

I have about three pairs of small colored gemstones that have languished unworn for years..

Anyway, a while ago I saw some detachable diamond drops on
www.diamonsbylauren.com with jackets I could live with.

As you can see in the picture below, the stem (?) of the jacket takes a 90 degree turn forward, making the dangling stone hang where I think it's supposed to. Maybe others have seen jackets like these before, but I never had!

David found me a beautiful pair of "bargain" studs...62cttw, G, SI-2s, and mounted my rarely worn emerald studs on a set of jackets.

I ordered a couple of extra pairs of jackets for my other orphan gemstones, to be mounted in the future.

Here's a closeup of how the jackets work:

000_3519.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
....here are a couple more pictures. I'm SO PLEASED with how these came out!
1.gif

widget

Unemrgs.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Those are absolutely gorgeous Widget! What a terrific idea!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are so great! DS2006 and I were just talking about this concept today! It is such a wonderful idea.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are perfect, I LOVE them!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Those are absolutely gorgeous!
30.gif
Like the others said-great idea!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2006 11:51:04 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
They are so great! DS2006 and I were just talking about this concept today! It is such a wonderful idea.
What a coincidence!!! We surely did talk about this as I had fun trying on studs today!!! We thought we could get more use out of a pair of studs by making them mulit-purpose rather than buying a fixed pair of drop earrings that might not be worn often.

And as a matter of fact, Widget, in the course of that conversation we mentioned something about wishing we could visit you and your jewelry box! Lol!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yowza widget, they are stunning!!! Very clever indeed, and they look terrific on your ear. Hmmmmm
27.gif
3.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
That's a great idea. I have a pair of Tanzanite studs I don't wear that often. It would be great to have them dangle and maybe they'd show up more with my shoulder length hair...

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Love them...such a great idea........Thanks for sharing with us
36.gif

Connie

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
those are fabulous widget. what a great idea. I have the first, not so great pair of studs hubby gave me and once I get a new pair of ideal cut ones I''ve been thinking of how to recycle the old pair. maybe buying jackets is the perfect solution.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow widget, they look great!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget -- beautiful drops and what a great idea! I was thinking about doing something like this with the side stones from my engagement ring (if I ever get around to having my setting remade) but I hadn''t really visualized HOW this would work until I saw your pics. Gorgeous!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi;

Those are fab! All these remakes--good for you!
emthup.gif

cheers--Sharon

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re gorgeous Widget! I agree that the 90 degree angle thing make the jackets LOOK like they''re truly part of the earring. Great design concept. Love ''em!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everybody. I've discovered one problem with these however...I'm already thinking maybe I need a pair drop-shaped pearls now...
20.gif

Date: 9/9/2006 12:28:56 AM
Author: Cind11
That's a great idea. I have a pair of Tanzanite studs I don't wear that often. It would be great to have them dangle and maybe they'd show up more with my shoulder length hair...
Hi, Cind...I've always thought colored gemstones don't work too well as studs. For some reason they tend to 'fade out' or almost disappear on earlobes.

I think putting them next to a small diamond really makes the color stand out more. It may be my imagination, but I think these emeralds look MUCH better on my ear now..

widget

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Widget ~
emrose.gif

Ohhh ... I love your new emerald drops!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

So very yummy!
18.gif

I love gemstone that are accompanied by diamonds!
9.gif

Thanks for sharing, and have fun with them!

Have a great weekend!
emhot.gif

35.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ooooooooo la la. I think those would be PERFECT with my RED HAIR!!! (Drooling profusely here.)

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Widget,

You''re right about the colored gemstones sort of fading out on the earlobes. I think that''s why I don''t wear them much. Your Emerald stones are really pretty.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty. I have always loved dangly earrings. The color combination is great. Enjoy!
21.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget, they came out great and they look fantastic on!!! I see not only pearls, but rubies and aquamarines and .....................in your future!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome idea! These are lovely. You can get attachments in every color and size now...LOL

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool! I love them!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results